PDA

View Full Version : pats cheating again!

ducks
03-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Astounding allegations: Bill Belichick did something friendly
By MJD
Of course, this "something friendly" would also be unethical and possibly a gross violation of NFL rules, but that's not the astounding part.

What's astounding is the notion that Bill Belichick would do anything out of friendship, or really, out of any motivation other than winning. I've always seen him as the type of guy who would insist on being the banker in Monopoly, so he could steal fake money.

The action in question is the Patriots' trading of Matt Cassel to the Kansas City Chiefs for a second-round draft pick. Why is this the source of controversy? Because everyone assumed the Patriots could get a lot more for Cassel than a lonely second-rounder, and because the guy Belichick did trade Cassel to is Scott Pioli, his old pal who helped assemble the Patriots championship teams.

The thinking is that Belichick traded Cassel to the Chiefs at a discount as a favor to his old pal Pioli. At least three people have outright accused Belichick of it, or at least hinted at it: Jay Mariotti compares the trade to Spygate and thinks Roger Goodell needs to take action, Albert Breer talks about the head-scratching going on around the league, and Tim Graham calls the trade "inexplicable."

Graham also reports, via Chris Mortensen, that the Patriots could have gotten a first-round pick, the 12th overall, for Cassel in a three-way trade that would've also involved Jay Cutler, but we'll get to that a bit later. In the meantime, here's a nutshell version of the two different ways of seeing the Cassel-to-KC deal.

1) The "This was an honest trade" side. Bill Belichick would never do anything to hurt his own cause, Cassel still had a lot to prove as a quarterback and the Patriots desperately didn't want to be on the hook to Cassel for $14 million this season, especially if they believe Tom Brady will be healthy.

2) The "Oh, this trade is stinky" side. There's Belichick's reputation as a man who, shall we say, is willing to bend the occasional rule, The Belichick/Pioli relationship, the reports that the Bucs were willing to go as high as a first-and-a-third rounder and not only did Kansas City get Cassel cheap, but the Patriots threw in Mike Vrabel as well.

The stumbling block for me is trying to believe that Bill Belichick did something for the good of some other football team. He's going to give some other team a discount, because he wants to do someone a favor? I just don't see it.

This is Bill Belichick we're talking about here. He'd cheat in a game of Connect Four against a poor orphan child. He didn't become the coach he is by doing people "favors."

Related: Jay Cutler, Matt Cassel, Tom Brady, Kansas City Chiefs,

Dr. Gonzo
03-02-2009, 02:18 PM
How is it cheating?

IronMexican
03-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Quit crying, seriously. This is nothing. A lot of franchises get a bone thrown their way sometimes from other GM's or Owners.

johnsmith
03-02-2009, 02:41 PM
You guys haven't figured this out yet eh? It's only a big story to ducks if the media tells him it should be a big story.

stretch
03-02-2009, 03:02 PM
shut the fuck up ducks

jack sommerset
03-02-2009, 03:58 PM
2nd rounder for 2 players one being Cassel is REAL questionable. But the Patriots did it and so far this decade they seem to make great decsions. A second rounder though, thats a tough pill to swallow! Brett Farve was worth 2 picks knowing he was 39 and would play only one year. This is not Watergate though. Moving on.

Dr. Gonzo
03-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Sounds like a smart move on the Pats part. They don't have to pay a first rounder a ridiculous amount of money and they will probably find someone that will be just as effective for a fraction of the cost.

monosylab1k
03-02-2009, 05:44 PM
The trade is a bit one-sided, but there's also plenty of reports out there that there wasn't a big market at all for Cassel. He was eating up cap space, they wouldn't have been able to talk about an extension with Wilfork, and they even had to restructure Moss' contract slightly in order to get Fred Taylor.

And reports out of NE is that Vrabel is washed up and was nothing more than a throw-in. They were going to cut him anyways if they didn't trade him.

The Patriots made a rare mistake in thinking Cassel would be highly sought after, and he wasn't. Then his cap figure started getting in the way of their future plans, so they had to make a move quickly. They agreed to this deal before the Denver offer came into the picture, so Belichick honored his original deal with Pioli.

So Belichick actually does something honorable by not backing out on his word to trade Cassel to KC, and the media still finds a way to make him the bad guy? Un-fucking-believable.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I don't understand how getting a 2nd round pick instead of the 12th overall pick is cheating. It's more like shooting yourself in the foot.

BlackSwordsMan
03-02-2009, 07:46 PM
they didn't want to pay their back up big money so they cut him and rubbed it in his face
no big deal

TacoCabanaFajitas
03-02-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm not one to call people out, I mostly just lurk around here but Ducks you have to be the dumbest motherfucker on this board. I don't know whats more annoying, your obsession with trying to prove Lebron sucks, or that you spell and put together sentences like a fucking 10 year old European exchange student learning English. I pray to God that you are from another country and younger than 15 otherwise there is no excuse for the stupid fucking posts that you make every day here at Spurstalk. I would pay money to see you banned you dumb bitch

johnsmith
03-02-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm not one to call people out, I mostly just lurk around here but Ducks you have to be the dumbest motherfucker on this board. I don't know whats more annoying, your obsession with trying to prove Lebron sucks, or that you spell and put together sentences like a fucking 10 year old European exchange student learning English. I pray to God that you are from another country and younger than 15 otherwise there is no excuse for the stupid fucking posts that you make every day here at Spurstalk. I would pay money to see you banned you dumb bitch

:lmao

BlackSwordsMan
03-02-2009, 08:20 PM

taco cabana pwns

ClingingMars
03-02-2009, 09:05 PM
it's the Gasol trade all over again

-Mars

monosylab1k
03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
I guess the Raiders were cheating when they gave the Patriots Randy Moss for a 4th round pick.

ducks
03-02-2009, 10:03 PM
You guys haven't figured this out yet eh? It's only a big story to ducks if the media tells him it should be a big story.

http://dumbassstore.com/catalog/images/closet.jpg:lmao

chode_regulator
03-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Howcould this be Ducks? You reportedthat Cassel wastraded to the Broncos in another thread?

dirk4mvp
03-03-2009, 11:12 AM
http://dumbassstore.com/catalog/images/closet.jpg:lmao

How many times do you have to post this until someone thinks it's funny?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-03-2009, 12:49 PM
How many times do you have to post this until someone thinks it's funny?

That's a good question, nothing is more lame than laughing at your own post in that post.