PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Blazers - Mar. 1

timvp
03-02-2009, 06:18 PM
After beating the Trail Blazers four days prior, the San Antonio Spurs traveled to Portland for a rematch. From the opening tip, the Blazers illustrated why they are such a dominant home team. By the final buzzer, revenge in Portland was complete.

A Matt Bonner first quarter three-pointer put the Spurs up 10-9 but following three straight baskets by the Trail Blazers, the game quickly got out of hand. The Spurs were down by a dozen after the first stanza and trailed by 27 at the half. By the time the game mercifully ended, the Blazers had posted a 102-84 victory.

Although the Blazers are likely a bit too young to be a true championship contender this season, there’s no doubt that they have one of the top three most talented rosters in the entire NBA. Brandon Roy is blossoming into a superstar and LaMarcus Aldridge is now one of the best power forwards in the game. If a few of their other young players continue to improve, a championship appears to be in Portland’s future.

As for the Spurs, the only good news on the night was the return of Tim Duncan to the lineup. Outside of that, it was one of the most miserable games of the season. They were thoroughly outplayed, outworked and outexecuted. The four-game winning streak now seems like a distant memory and San Antonio desperately needs a win to stop the reeling.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
26 minutes, 14 points, four rebounds, three steals, two assists, two turnovers
6-for-15 from the field, 2-for-4 at the line

Tim Duncan was back but the rust was apparent. He moved decently well but his explosiveness off of two feet was noticeably lacking. Hopefully this was just the first step in Duncan working himself back into shape. It’s too early to panic yet but the Spurs need Duncan a lot more mobile than he was on Sunday night. He had a couple of good moves offensively but his defense and rebounding were missing in action.
-------------------------------

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
28 minutes, 15 points, four assists, two rebounds, two turnovers
7-for-16 from the field, 1-for-1 at the line

For the second straight game, Parker didn’t look like he was totally all there. His jumpers were again short and he missed a few layups at the rim. It appears as if that two-game Superman stretch has come back to haunt San Antonio’s point guard. On defense, Parker had his worst showing in the last five games. After shutting out Steve Blake in the AT&T Center, Blake found room to get his shot off this time around. Parker needs to get his legs back and help carry the team until Manu Ginobili returns.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
25 minutes, 13 points, four rebounds
4-for-9 from the field, 3-for-4 on three-pointers, 2-for-2 at the line

Offensively, Roger Mason, Jr. was good enough. He hit his three-pointers and was one of the few players able to penetrate the Blazers' defense. His defense, on the other hand, wasn’t nearly as favorable. He got toasted by Roy repeatedly and his effort and intensity on that end of the court wasn’t up to Spurs standards. For the second straight game, Mason let down his teammates on the defense and didn’t create enough offense to compensate.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
15 minutes, one assist
0-for-1 from the field

Michael Finley had one of his patented ghost games. Unless you are related to Finley, you probably didn’t notice he played. In 15 minutes, he took one shot and handed out one assist – and that’s it. Defensively, Finley did nothing of note because he spot most of his time defending Nicolas Batum, who played the role of observer on offense. Let’s hope this isn’t a sign of Finley starting to trend back towards a cold streak.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
25 minutes, eight points, four rebounds
3-for-6 from the field, 2-for-4 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner had a decent affair. Offensively, he took advantage of the shots he was given. He might have forced the issue a couple of times but you can’t argue with his percentages. On defense, Bonner could have played much better. Going against Aldridge, he’s obviously at a physical disadvantage but he compounded the issue by letting Aldridge push him around. Bonner has lacked physicality recently and his defense and rebounding have suffered as a result.

Malik Hairston
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/rivals/full.48185/a1523cd118938faf9ccbf0d319b2c625/malik-hairston.jpg
25 minutes, six points, five rebounds, three assists, three steals, four turnovers
3-for-9 shooting

Pop gave Malik Hairston an opportunity to win some minutes by playing him in the first half and almost the entire second half, however Hairston didn’t take full advantage. He showed some flashes of NBA ability, especially on the defensive end, but he still has a ways to go. Offensively, he needs to lose his hesitation and trust his jumper. He makes good decisions when he’s not second guessing himself, which is a good sign for his future. On defense, he tends to overplay too much in some situations but his D definitely is reason enough to keep him around. Overall, Hairston has made a case to leapfrog Udoka in the depth charts but he doesn’t appear to be close to a spot in the rotation.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
20 minutes, ten points, four assists, four turnovers
3-for-7 from the field, 1-for-1 on three-pointers

George Hill struggled mightily out of the gates and aided Portland in extending their lead. If he wasn’t missing shots, he was making bad decisions or turning the ball over. Once the fourth quarter garbage time arrived, Hill played much better. The best news is that he seemed to have found his perimeter jumper. He nailed two long two-pointers and his first three-pointer since Jan. 14 against the Lakers. Going forward, hopefully Hill has more confidence in his jumper because without it, he’s a borderline offensive liability.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
19 minutes, five rebound, two rebounds, one block
2-for-4 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

By the time Bruce Bowen got on Roy, Portland’s two-time All-Star was blazing. Though Bowen was able to cool him off, it was too little, too late for San Antonio. Sunday night re-emphasized the case for Bowen going back to the starting lineup. If a star perimeter player on the opposition gets rolling, it’s easy to find your team down by double-digits before you can blink. Bowen, despite his age, is still easily the best answer on the team to slowing down the best shooting guards and small forwards the NBA has to offer.

Fabricio Oberto
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3988.jpg
17 minutes, four points, six rebounds, one assist
2-for-3 from the field

Fabricio Oberto wasn’t really a bright spot but he was about as close to one as there was for San Antonio. It was nice to have someone willing to throw his body around and hit the boards with some authority. Overall, Oberto might have been the best bigman for the Spurs against the Blazers – which in itself would explain why the Spurs got annihilated.

Ime Udoka
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg
17 minutes, five points, three rebounds
2-for-3 from the field, 1-for-1 on three-pointers

Ime Udoka wasn’t quite as horrible as he was against the Cavaliers on Friday, but it wasn’t for a lack of effort. His defense was again bad and it took him until the game was almost over for him to get on track offensively. For reasons unknown, Pop allowed Udoka to play almost the entire second quarter. During that time, Udoka had two missed shots, two fouls and a turnover.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
14 minutes, two rebounds

Where has the Kurt Thomas of a few games ago gone? Against the Blazers, Thomas looked like the player who couldn’t get out of his own way to begin the season. He didn’t even attempt a shot on the offensive end and his defense was unimpressive. Thomas needs to bring his hardhat on a more consistent basis, especially now that the Spurs are leaning on him for production.

Pops Mensah-Bonsu
http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/resourceserver/15602/b5de75e9-26b9-4125-bb5c-30691cab4e9b/bc3/rglang/en-US/filename/b5d.jpg
Seven minutes, four points, three rebounds
2-for-4 from the field

Pops Mensah-Bonsu played the final seven minutes of the game as the blowout was wrapping up. Once again, his athleticism was notable and he showed an improving amount of skill in his repertoire. Mensah-Bonsu hit a jumper, something he didn’t have in his game a few years ago, and also demonstrated an ability to play passable perimeter defense. For a player on a ten-day contract, he’s done a good job of opening eyes in both San Antonio and around the league. If he can keep his energy level high and realize he needs to rely on his hustle, Mensah-Bonsu should be able to find a spot somewhere in the league.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

I didn’t like much of anything Pop did on Sunday night. Bowen needed to get into the game quicker when Roy was lighting it up. Udoka doesn’t deserve playing time right now. It would have also been nice to get a longer look at Mensah-Bonsu, if for no other reason than to evaluate his current status. After the Spurs got down, Pop had a herky-jerky player rotation that added to the mess. It’s deep enough into the season that Pop should start coming up with some semblance of a rotation.

Offense

The offensive execution was extremely poor for much of the game. The cohesion was lacking and combined with a shortage of liveliness, the Spurs really gave themselves no shot. For the game, the Spurs shot 44.2% from the floor and hit 8-of-13 three-pointers. The problem areas for the Spurs were assists (16), turnovers (16) and free throw attempts (12).

Defense

San Antonio’s defense in the first half got shredded. The Trail Blazers scored 64 first half points and basically got any look they wanted. The Spurs were able to hold Portland to 38 points in the final two quarters but that was mostly due to the game already being over. On the night, the Blazers shot 48.6% from the floor, nailed 7-of-18 three-pointers and connected on 23-of-29 free throws. They also did a great job passing the ball (22 assists), taking care of the ball (11 turnovers) and rebounding the ball (42-35 advantage).

Drive to Five

While the Cavs loss was understandable and somewhat expected, this loss against the Blazers was much more distressing. The Spurs usually don’t get steamrolled without offering any resistance. Against the Los Angeles Clippers on Monday night, the black uniforms need a bounce back performance.

Believe.

rayray2k8
03-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Not a good way to start off on March. :lol
Thanks timvp

Darkwaters
03-02-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm glad that Hairston seems to belong. After summer league I figured he'd go the way of Marcus Williams pretty quickly.

tlongII
03-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Excellent analysis as always timvp! Keep up the good work! :tu

VI_Massive
03-02-2009, 06:29 PM
I totally agree about Bowen. Why is Finley starting instead of him? Is is part of Pop's efforts to get more offense on the court? Does he think Finley will play more of those "ghost" games coming off the bench? Does he think Bowen can't handle the minutes? Does he think he can just bring Bowen in to put out defensive fires if needed? I'm mystified.

EricB
03-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Why is Finley always the one to get the finger pointed at him when the whole team plays like shit? Just curious.

timvp
03-02-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm glad that Hairston seems to belong. After summer league I figured he'd go the way of Marcus Williams pretty quickly.Yeah, Hairston has improved greatly since summer league. A lot of the reason is he's slimmed down and under that baby fat was a pretty damn athletic player. He looks like he can probably still shed a few more pounds.

Now if he can get a confidence boost and extend his range, he could become Devin Brown without the bad back.

*commence whottt meltdown*

HarlemHeat37
03-02-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't know what Pop's doing with Bowen now..I thought by this point, he'd be playing more..I don't even think he covered Lebron for one possession on Friday, and he barely covered Roy in this game..

is Pop just testing others out? what's the point? I guess he doesn't wanna show his hand until the playoffs, but it's March, Bowen needs to get in a rhythm with the team at this point..

EricB
03-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah, Hairston has improved greatly since summer league. A lot of the reason is he's slimmed down and under that baby fat was a pretty damn athletic player. He looks like he can probably still shed a few more pounds.

Now if he can get a confidence boost and extend his range, he could become Devin Brown without the bad back.

*commence whottt meltdown*

Hopefully with a better work ethic as well.

timvp
03-02-2009, 06:39 PM
I totally agree about Bowen. Why is Finley starting instead of him? Is is part of Pop's efforts to get more offense on the court? Does he think Finley will play more of those "ghost" games coming off the bench? Does he think Bowen can't handle the minutes? Does he think he can just bring Bowen in to put out defensive fires if needed? I'm mystified.

I don't know what Pop's doing with Bowen now..I thought by this point, he'd be playing more..I don't even think he covered Lebron for one possession on Friday, and he barely covered Roy in this game..

is Pop just testing others out? what's the point? I guess he doesn't wanna show his hand until the playoffs, but it's March, Bowen needs to get in a rhythm with the team at this point..

Yeah, I'm really not understanding what Bowen is doing with Bowen. If Pop plays Bowen this few minutes when the games really start to count, that would be a huge coaching mistake. Sure he's old but Finley is almost as old and has many more miles on him.

Picking Finley over Bowen come playoff time would be an unforgiveable sin.

VI_Massive
03-02-2009, 06:41 PM

I hear ya, but its not like teams will be surprised that we have this great wing defender named Bruce Bowen. People know about him. I could understand holding back on a specific set of schemes or something, but just not playing one guy?

The only plausible reasons I can think of are:

1. Finley is terrible off the bench.

2. Pop wants to save Bruce's stamina for the playoffs.

3. Pop is starting Finley to put more offense on the court.

VI_Massive
03-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Why is Finley always the one to get the finger pointed at him when the whole team plays like shit? Just curious.

I think timvp's analysis was fairly harsh towards all those who deserved it for Sunday night. I was mentioning Finley specifically because I am not sure why Pop continues to start him when I think its better to start Bowen for a variety of reasons.

silk
03-02-2009, 06:45 PM
I tend to think pop really rather have finley on the court than bowen

counting on team D and offesive execution

i like finley but i really think of a mistake of van exel's proportion

Pop's a great coach but sometimes.................

EricB
03-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I tend to think pop really rather have finley on the court than bowen

counting on team D and offesive execution

i like finley but i really think of a mistake of van exel's proportion

Pop's a great coach but sometimes.................

Yeah because Van Exel averaged over double digits.

I'm still asking to this day, who should have played instead of Van Exel!?!? NO one will answer it for some reason.

Brazil
03-02-2009, 06:52 PM
4 TOs in 20 min for a back up PG w/o any agressiveness on Offense is not good, he has hit the rookie wall it's time for him to break it.

Spurs Brazil
03-02-2009, 06:56 PM
He nailed two long two-pointers and his first three-pointer since Jan. 14 against the Lakers.

That's a long time. Let's hope this one get him going

silk
03-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah because Van Exel averaged over double digits.

I'm still asking to this day, who should have played instead of Van Exel!?!? NO one will answer it for some reason.

this beno guy couldn't hava done worse

and you're mistaking my analogy, i named van exel just because pop has a man crush on vets, and he was a former all star also, not because of points, hair style, or anything else

Agloco

I think timvp pointed quite a few fingers at folks.

But 15 mins with a single shot attempt and one assist......

Fail

silk
by the way, this paloma girl is way too physically perfect to be a mere human

HarlemHeat37
03-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I hear ya, but its not like teams will be surprised that we have this great wing defender named Bruce Bowen. People know about him. I could understand holding back on a specific set of schemes or something, but just not playing one guy?

The only plausible reasons I can think of are:

1. Finley is terrible off the bench.

2. Pop wants to save Bruce's stamina for the playoffs.

3. Pop is starting Finley to put more offense on the court.

#2 is what I've been thinking the entire season so far, but I'm starting to have second thoughts..hopefully we see Bruce more in the playoffs..

#3 could be a possibility as well, and I keep hearing it, but Bowen isn't as big of a liability as it's perceived..he's shooting 44% from 3's this season, he's improved as a FT shooter, he's improved his offense everywhere actually..

lefty
03-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Unless you are related to Finley, you probably didn’t notice he played

:lmao

TheProfessor
03-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Ime Udoka wasn’t quite as horrible as he was against the Cavaliers on Friday, but it wasn’t for a lack of effort.
:lol Oh, Ime, what the hell happened...

The Truth #6
03-02-2009, 07:35 PM
If one accepts that Pop's mission is to appease Finley then everything makes "sense".

It's bad enough Finley's minutes eat into the possibility of developing a younger player, but now that Bowen is getting less burn it's even more irritating and head-scratching.

I like Udoka but I'd actually like to see him cut if that means more minutes for Malik and Bruce. There's needs to be some sanity to the rotation. Right now Pop is treating it like a wine tasting event where he randomly samples different combinations.

SpursFanFirst
03-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Pops Mensah-Bonsu

Seven minutes, four points, three rebounds
2-for-4 from the field

Pops Mensah-Bonsu played the final seven minutes of the game as the blowout was wrapping up. Once again, his athleticism was notable and he showed an improving amount of skill in his repertoire. Mensah-Bonsu hit a jumper, something he didn’t have in his game a few years ago, and also demonstrated an ability to play passable perimeter defense. For a player on a ten-day contract, he’s done a good job of opening eyes in both San Antonio and around the league. If he can keep his energy level high and realize he needs to rely on his hustle, Mensah-Bonsu should be able to find a spot somewhere in the league.

Are you saying you DON'T think the Spurs will pick him up?

Capt Bringdown
03-02-2009, 07:53 PM
The thing that stood out for me in this game was Pop's bizaare and downright discouraging rotations. And I'll be glad to see the day when Finley hangs up his jersey for good.

EricB
03-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah it sucks having a veteran guard who can win games like he did last week.

timvp
03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Are you saying you DON'T think the Spurs will pick him up?I think he's the player most likely to get cut if the Spurs sign one of the available free agents. Even if they don't, I'd say there's only a 50/50 chance that the Spurs will sign him for the rest of the season. Guaranteeing the salary of a guy who has little chance to play in the playoffs probably wouldn't go over too well with Holt.

SpursFanFirst
03-02-2009, 08:04 PM
I think he's the player most likely to get cut if the Spurs sign one of the available free agents. Even if they don't, I'd say there's only a 50/50 chance that the Spurs will sign him for the rest of the season. Guaranteeing the salary of a guy who has little chance to play in the playoffs probably wouldn't go over too well with Holt.

Bummer. I've enjoyed watching him so far.
I'd love it if he had a chance with the Spurs.

benefactor
03-02-2009, 08:09 PM
I could feel a loss coming before I even turned on the broadcast. What I did not expect is for us to just roll over. This is a disappointing performance for this time of year and I agree with those that have said that Pop needs to quit with the tinkering and start coaching like the playoffs are right around the corner. I don't know what was worse...watching Roy take turns sodomizing Mason and Finley or watching Udoka play.

timvp
03-02-2009, 08:11 PM
The thing that stood out for me in this game was Pop's bizaare and downright discouraging rotations.The weirdest move to me was when Hairston scored the first basket of the second quarter after a long dry spell, Pop proceeded to bench him. And then a couple minutes later he put him back in.

:drunk

Capt Bringdown
03-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I think he's the player most likely to get cut if the Spurs sign one of the available free agents. Even if they don't, I'd say there's only a 50/50 chance that the Spurs will sign him for the rest of the season. Guaranteeing the salary of a guy who has little chance to play in the playoffs probably wouldn't go over too well with Holt.

Interesting that after all the failed pick-and-stash gambits, injuries, Scola trade disaster and so on, we would pass on a player that might be able to develop into a productive player.

Especially when we've got folks currently on the roster who are not productive and will likely be DNPs or liabilities in the playoffs. If or after we sign one of the available free agents, wouldn't it be better to cut one of these players and sign the rook?

HarlemHeat37
03-02-2009, 08:33 PM
well tonight might be Pops last chance to prove something..I hope Pop actually gives him a chance, instead of putting him in mid-way through the 4th when we're already down 20+ points and the game is basically over..

I agree with timvp about the Hairston sub..that was just ridiculous and confusing as hell..he scores off a put-back in his 1st minute..I hear subbing, and then I notice it's Hairston..I was honestly just confused, not even angry..it just made no sense to me..did Pop want him to grab the rebound and run back to the 3-point line and jack a 3 up? that seems to be the type of player he enjoys..

I was honestly just sad when Ime entered the game..not even angry, just sad..it sucks that Ime made those garbage baskets though, since Pop might be encouraged and believe he's getting it together..

Hairston is just better in every way..his J needs work, but it isn't any worse than Ime's..other than that, everything else isn't debatable..he's played above average D on almost everybody I've seen him match up with..he's also much more active than Ime..Ime is one of the only players I've ever seen that gives effort, but sucks so much that it looks like he isn't trying at all..

Manu-of-steel
03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
i also got confused why hairston was taken out of the game after his put back. was it due to a missed defensive rotation? Hairston has the tools to become a good defensive player. On offense, he has a lot of work to do on his jump shot to prevent his man from sagging and clogging the paint. also, hill is tentative during his initial stint on the floor, i can't see the fire in his eyes that i saw early in the season. may be he's under pressure not to blow the spurs plays,both on the offensive and defensive. regarding pops, he's really active in there and you can see his athletic ability. But there's one fastbreak play where he tried to shoot the ball instead of passing to an open team mate for an easy lay up. Udoka- he was on the floor when the blazers started their run. the blame is not really just on him, but his stint aided the surge of the blazers. I agree with timvp, Bowen is still our best bet if we want to stop the kobe/roy scoring rampage.