PDA

View Full Version : Moral victory

Walton Buys Off Me
03-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Think about it, if the roles were reversed and the Spurs squeaked by Phoenix at home who were not only without Nash and Stoudemire but also coming off a back-to-back, there would be a lot of pissed-off people on this board.

We own the Suns, tonight solidified that.

Houston is a much bigger threat.

Jimcs50
03-09-2005, 11:26 PM
The Spurs had played the night before, they were without their 3 Suns killers(Rose TD and Manu) and had a chance to win, had they made those 3 layups.

Walton, yes it was a moral victory.

ShoogarBear
03-09-2005, 11:29 PM
Screw moral, I want real.

But yeah, Suns should be shittin themselves.

Walton Buys Off Me
03-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Did we just agree on something Jim?

What's next? Rasho going to line 10 times in one game?

Jimcs50
03-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Did we just agree on something Jim?

What's next? Rasho going to line 10 times in one game?

Oh, I agree with you a lot, but I do not want you to know every time. I do not want you to get a big head.

:)

slayermin
03-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Though I liked the way the guys stepped up, I'm glad tonight is over with.

kskonn
03-10-2005, 12:11 AM
I think we have to look at the fact that we also found a hell of a spark in Wilks tonight. If anything this game was good for that. But I also agree, Moral victory. With Tim and Manu the spurs would have owned the suns tonight.

SequSpur
03-10-2005, 12:23 AM
No such thing as a moral victory. Its either a win or a loss.

Spurs lost.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-10-2005, 12:51 AM
No such thing as a moral victory. Its either a win or a loss.

Spurs lost.
You know that's not true, and you still go and make such a stupid comment. I gotta say, I underestimated your ability to debase yourself; keep at it, if you work real hard on that, you might even be able to make a living out of it.

SirChaz
03-10-2005, 01:01 AM
What ever you have to tell yourself to feel better. :spin

Rummpd
03-10-2005, 01:10 AM
BS. This loss that really counts as 2, is all on Pop.

Rick Von Braun
03-10-2005, 02:10 AM
BS. This loss that really counts as 2, is all on Pop.http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiconfused.gif

why?

T Park
03-10-2005, 02:45 AM
cause Spurs win = Players

Spurs lose = Pop

DUh RIck, dont you know the Spurstalk aggie and everyone else doctorine by now???

Kori Ellis
03-10-2005, 02:48 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiconfused.gif

why?

I think that Rumppd said in another thread that he believes both Manu and Nazr could have (and should have) played. *shrug* So that's why he's blaming Pop.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
03-10-2005, 05:11 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0310bickley0310.html (Spurs playing with Suns' heads)

Dan Bickley
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 10, 2005 12:00 AM

Buckle up, basketball fans. If the Suns and the Spurs meet again this season, the stakes will be through the roof.

Robert Sarver took care of that.

Livid over the Spurs' mysterious decision to rest Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, the incoming Suns owner put on his own marquee performance Wednesday at America West Arena, one that got the attention of the visitors' bench.

He screamed at Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to put his headline players in the game. More than once, he stood up from his courtside seat and flapped his arms like a chicken. And near the end of the first half, he and a couple of friends engaged in a derogatory chant aimed at the opponent.

"Varsity! Varsity! Varsity!"

It was a night when we're all lucky that Sarver didn't possess a giant foam finger with the middle digit extended. Just as alarming, it was a night when the Suns struggled to beat a team that was casually resting its two All-Star performers.

Hopefully, it will not be a night that comes back to haunt a team with championship dreams.

"Yeah, we saw (Sarver), and I have no comment on that," the Spurs' Robert Horry said. "Me, personally, I just think he's trying to be another Mark Cuban. You know? Get your own identity."

Alas, if this were a night where it felt like the losers won and the winners lost, it isn't far from the truth. Only a 44-point performance from Amaré Stoudemire saved the hosts from serious embarrassment, and one can only imagine the fallout if the Suns had dropped a game handed to them on a platter.

So what was supposed to be a defining moment in the season - a showdown that would test the Spurs' psychological advantage over a Suns' team that beefed up its bench since their last meeting - quickly digressed into a party stocked with stale beer.

The indestructible Ginobili was scratched with three different ailments, even though he was nowhere to be found on the Spurs' pregame list of potentially injured players. Duncan was scratched in deference to his sprained right ankle, even though he played 30 minutes the night before.

"This last sprain really bothers me because we're so close to playoff time," Popovich said. "I don't think back to back games make sense."

Sorry, what doesn't make sense is bringing back Duncan for a surprise return against the Nets on Tuesday, then resting him against the Suns, in a game that could eventually decide the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference playoffs.

Clearly, Popovich took a gamble. He didn't want to lose to the Suns at full strength, which could've bolstered the growing confidence in Phoenix. Conversely, if the Suns prevailed against the Spurs' makeshift lineup, it would prove absolutely nothing.

But if the Spurs won without their two All-Stars, there could be psychological scar tissue plaguing the Suns in a playoff rematch. It almost happened, and even with the in-game loss of Quentin Richardson due to a mild concussion, that is hard to swallow.

When the news about the Spurs' sudden injuries came down, Suns coach Mike D'Antoni immediately knew there was trouble. Anticipating the chance to make a major statement, the Suns were suddenly in a no-win situation. The last time this happened - a game against the Grizzlies when Memphis scratched some key players before tip-off - the Suns quickly lost their intensity, their focus and the game.

Fans didn't see this one coming, either, and outside, a scalper said he was getting $150 for single tickets, peddling his product to fans unaware of the changes in the Spurs' starting lineup. When the scalper heard that Duncan and Ginobili weren't playing, he looked to make sure no potential customers were around.

"I think I'll keep my lips zipped on that one," he said.

In the end, Sarver may have wished he'd done the same.

xcoriate
03-10-2005, 06:01 AM
"Yeah, we saw (Sarver), and I have no comment on that," the Spurs' Robert Horry said. "Me, personally, I just think he's trying to be another Mark Cuban. You know? Get your own identity."

Haha, thats a great quote I hope Sarver has seen it. That hits hard.

Rummpd
03-10-2005, 06:49 AM
Repost (response to original thread) from another poster per Kori's comment

Re: I was dead wrong but so was Pop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will just state my qualifications in my opinions that I was a physical therapist before medical school, have been an athletic trainer and team physician (including by the way previously at Cole High School where Shaq played). I have dealt with all the injuries the Spurs apparently have many times in my professional practice and seen high school, college and professional players often "suck it up" and play - and play well, without permament harm or later deterioration of their games. Plus the modalities are even beter today.

From all I have heard, none of these players risked much by taking the court last night - life is not without risk, and I for one was left with a bad taste in my mouth that the Spurs (at least Pop, not players) seemingly waved the white flag or potentialy decided that it was worth it to give the Suns a "victory not worth having as much as if key players played". Plus the Spurs have a couple of nights off now before Denver.

In truth it over and the Spurs now have to move on, my concern now is the Mental Health/Status of the team - will they ride this as a boost or not? I am not sure.[B]

desflood
03-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Definitely a moral victory. I'd like to think the Suns are embarrased, but watching them last night I doubt they have either the class or the brains (thinking particularly of Amare's last dunk) to be.

SequSpur
03-10-2005, 09:19 PM
You know that's not true, and you still go and make such a stupid comment. I gotta say, I underestimated your ability to debase yourself; keep at it, if you work real hard on that, you might even be able to make a living out of it.

Hey, if the Argentina Boys showed up to the Olympics and almost won a medal, would that be a moral victory?

You either win or you don't. Close only counts in horse shoes.

The Spurs have the best record, they own the suns, they fucked with their heads.

Whats so moral about that? Spurs 2 rings, Suns none. Spurs have Duncan, Suns have Nash......................

Nash is overrated.

STFU.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2005, 09:22 PM
I think that Rumppd said in another thread that he believes both Manu and Nazr could have (and should have) played. *shrug* So that's why he's blaming Pop.You can always tell the ones who lost money on the game....

SequSpur
03-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Hey. How bout you go play hide and go screw yourself?

ChumpDumper
03-10-2005, 09:30 PM
You can always tell the ones who are just little assholes who can't even tell at whom a comment is directed....

ShoogarBear
03-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Sequ's here!

http://www.jacneed.com/PhotoFile/Don_Rickles.jpg

SequSpur
03-10-2005, 09:34 PM
:lol

Just jackin wit ya ChumpDump.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Completely fell for it.

Back atcha, Sequ.

:pctoss

SequSpur
03-10-2005, 09:37 PM
I am fixin to blaze to Orlando for a week, so I have to relieve some stress.

Badabing.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Relieve this!

:flipoff

SequSpur
03-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Hahaha.

The_Game
03-10-2005, 10:39 PM
We own the Suns, tonight solidified that.

Houston is a much bigger threat.

you come to this theory after one game? wow....suns played a bad game and took the spurs lightly. It happens alot in sports. Doean't mean the spurs own anybody. Guess by your logic the sonics also own the spurs, as do the grizzles.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Hey, if the Argentina Boys showed up to the Olympics and almost won a medal, would that be a moral victory?

You either win or you don't. Close only counts in horse shoes.

The Spurs have the best record, they own the suns, they fucked with their heads.

Whats so moral about that? Spurs 2 rings, Suns none. Spurs have Duncan, Suns have Nash......................

Nash is overrated.

STFU.
First of all, I don't really know. Over here in Argentina, (where they hadn't won an olympic medal in basketball ever), I would say its a moral victory. Why does everyone keep giving me the same lame arguments involving Argentinians!!?? You think that's going to provoke me? Think again.

Hey. How bout you go play hide and go screw yourself?
Ok, I'll hide, and you go screw yourself.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Guess by your logic the sonics also own the spurs, as do the grizzles.They do, as do the healthy Rockets.

sickdsm
03-10-2005, 10:56 PM
I love those moral victories. But you need to keep it up, after all, Minnesota is running away from the league in Moral Victories. We all know what they mean.

T Park
03-10-2005, 11:02 PM
the upcoming lottery will make you bitter right Sick lol :)

Mark in Austin
03-10-2005, 11:28 PM
The unfortunate thing is that if the Spurs had even shot close to their season average from behiubd the arc, PHX players would still be in their locker room, curled up in a fetal position.

sickdsm
03-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Not really Tpark. The only difference between this year and 96? is that KG is playing hurt and David sat out.

ducks
03-11-2005, 02:57 PM
sick when did kg get hurt?

Dre_7
03-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Yeah, Duncan has been hurt most of the year too, and SA has the top record. No Excuses Sick!

King
03-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Not really Tpark. The only difference between this year and 96? is that KG is playing hurt and David sat out.

Is KG's foot broken like Dave's was?

sickdsm
03-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Yeah, Duncan has been hurt most of the year too, and SA has the top record. No Excuses Sick!

Could it be that the spurs don't need Timmy to be an average-good team? Probably. Its not a big secret that Manu and Parker are playing worlds above Spree and Hudson. Hell, even rasho lights it up when Timmy's out.

I see the insecure fans are out after that comment. I didn't call Drob a pussy. Just stating that the only difference is that KG is hurt, if he sits out you damn right theres a good chance that of number one lotto pick. You'd think you'd try NOT to bring attention to the fact that more often than not the spurs don't miss a beat without their superstar whereas a guy who's the returning MVP, comes back with the same supporting cast and is playing hurt (only difference there) and the team struggles to make the playoff. By logic that would dictate that:

KG is much, MUCH more important to his team than Duncan is.

timvp
03-11-2005, 10:16 PM
You trade Tim Duncan for Kevin Garnett right now and the T'Wolves make the playoffs and get past the first round. The Spurs get bounced in the first round.

KG isn't a playoff player. Cassell and Spree were the difference makers between a WCF team and the lottery. KG is an awesome weapon who is one of the most dynamic players in the game, but still doesn't have a go-to move and isn't a fourth quarter player.

Duncan has two championships under his belt. KG has eight first round exits under his belt.

td4mvp21
03-11-2005, 10:41 PM
^^whoa whoa wait a minute. Duncan isnt as important to his team as KG is? BS. We are 1-2 without Duncan(that really proves nothing)and alot of ppl don't realize that Duncan is our foundation. No Duncan, No Playoffs. WE would not even have a good record without him. Kg's having a better season, but Duncan's having a better career.

ducks
03-11-2005, 11:03 PM
kg is more valuable to wolves then duncan
spurs have a better TEAM

td4mvp21
03-11-2005, 11:12 PM
I dont think thats necessarily true