PDA

View Full Version : E-N: Full-Court Press: Can ‘Ice Man’ Take The Heat?

duncan228
03-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Full-court press: Can ‘Ice Man’ take the heat? (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Full-court_press_Can_Ice_Man_take_the_heat.html)
Jay Nanda - Express-News

Anyone who knows anything about the NBA always knew George Gervin could finger roll. On March 21, Spurs fans, celebrities and some of the NBA’s all-time greats will get a chance to see if the “Ice Man” can stand the heat when Gervin is roasted Comedy Central-style at 6 p.m. at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center. Proceeds will benefit the George Gervin Youth Center Capital Expansion Campaign. The center provides services and programs for San Antonio youth and their families.

Tickets for the roast are available at www.tickets4anyevent.com (http://www.tickets4anyevent.com/) or (210) 558-3400.

I recently went one-on-one with the 56-year-old Spurs legend, one of the NBA’s 50 Greatest Players, and here is a snippet. More of the interview can be found in the March 18 issue of 210SA, with the complete version online the same day at 210SA.com.

Q: How did the youth center get started?

A: I founded it in 1988. When I was retiring, this is what I wanted to do. I wanted to stay in San Antonio and do something on the educational aspect. We started in a strip mall. I’m so proud of the George Gervin Academy, which is a charter school, because we get to address the educational issues. Now it’s time for us to expand, and that’s why we’re having this celebrity roast.

Q: How did your upbringing in Michigan factor into that?

A: I was raised by a single parent. My mom raised six of us, and she kept us in programs. Recreational programs, Boy Scouts. So I’m a product. That’s why we started doing what we’re doing. Obesity is our No. 1 problem here in San Antonio, so we want to address nutrition. I want to get a board of doctors to do screening for diabetes, hypertension and other issues a lot of people in our community don’t address. You know, learn how to exercise properly. I want to have a track inside this wellness center where you can do a lot of walking — especially an older person.

Q: What does it mean to have Bill Russell, Julius Erving and other NBA greats here to pay tribute?

A: Bill Russell, we call him “Papa.” He’s legendary. Bill’s got 11 championships. Wow! For him to take his time and understand the value of what I’m doing in this community, man it’s just so inspiring for me. I got Doc, and Bill, and Oscar Robertson. I mean, “The Big O.” Come on, man! To have a relationship with those guys, it’s spectacular. Clyde Drexler, Moses Malone, Elvin Hayes, “The Pearl” (Earl Monroe). That’s legendary.

Q: When you won the scoring title in 1978 over David Thompson, he scored 73 points on the final day of the season, and you scored 63 while sitting out the fourth quarter. What stands out to you the most about that battle?

A: I was in New Orleans, and the press called me and said David scored 73 points and said I needed 59 in the last game to keep the scoring lead. I missed my first six shots. Coach called timeout. I said, “Look, we ain’t got to worry about it.” ’Cause you know, I was feeling the pressure. And all the guys said, “No, Ice, come on.” So I went back out, and then boom, boom, I got hot, and I got 20. Second quarter started, and then, bam! Did I get hot — it was like Casper The Friendly Ghost was guarding me. And I got 33. So I had 53 at half. I only needed six more points. I ended up getting 59, and I said, “Coach, let me get a few more points in case they ended up miscalculating.” So I got 63 points in 33 minutes.

Q: Can you still finger roll?

A: One thing I could do ... is finger roll.

stéphane
03-03-2009, 12:29 PM
[B]Second quarter started, and then, bam! Did I get hot — it was like Casper The Friendly Ghost was guarding me. And I got 33.

:lmao

m33p0
03-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Q: Can you still finger roll?

A: One thing I could do ... is finger roll.
:lol