PDA

View Full Version : My bank < Your bank

Frenzy
03-03-2009, 02:32 PM
forgive typos and the length. Help would be appreciated :depressed

Wells Fargo.

I have had this bank for about 8 yrs. I have been happy with them until the last few months. Early last year my wife lost her job for about 2 months so it was 4 months until we started living above the "trying to keep my head above water" times. Those four months with only me working i was living check to check having between 20-30$ left in my account at times with all the revolving bills and cycles. Sometimes even over drafting at times when I forgot about bills... or I just plain needed to. At least five times they would arrange the bank deductions so that I would get an over draft fee. Is this common in other banks?

For example lets say I had only 100$ left in my account on monday.

on tuesday I buy 10$ worth of fuel and 10$ on food.
on wednesday I get an oil change 15$ and 5$ on lunch I forgot to pack

on thursday I pay a credit card bill 20$

which leaves 40$ left in my account. Monday comes and I was like dam my water bill is due tuesday in the amount of 80$... not enough money right?

so what to do? I was like I'll take the overdraft fee whats 33.00?.....$ done deal.

I expect my aacount to be: -40.00(the rest of the water bill) - 33.00(overdraft) = - 73$

only thursday comes around and I look at my account and I see this.

account balance: -172$

wtf?

i see the details and it reads as follows:

account balance: 100$

-80.00 water bill
account balance = 20$
-20.00 credit card payment
account balance = 0$
-5$ lunch
-33$ over draft
-15$ oil change
-33$ over draft
-10$ fuel
-33$ over draft
-10$ food
-33$ overdraft
account balance =-172$

messed up huh..

so I call and tell the the story. They say there is nothing they can do. I keep whinning and they say "we can take off one of the over draft fees but that's it" I told them the only reason I even went over was I thought yall charged me according to how I charged. They said no it depends how the business takes the the money out. I said well I checked with the water bill company and they charged me the same day why is it all the way on Monday it went out of my account. They said "well sir we put the larger amounts first cause we assume it's more important to you that the check clears" I said " well it will clear if your keep over drafting me like i planned" They said "that's not the way it works" i was already upset and just hung up. They did that like 3 or 4 more times in the upcoming months.

Another problem:last month

I applied to get a house and they needed my bank statements I could easily print them at home. But where I was applying for the house was close to a wells fargo bank. So i went there asking for a copy. The guy helping me said we usually charge 8$ but I'll do it free. I said cool. Month later guess whats on my account....yup "8$ copy fee" I called and explained what happened... they said "we are sorry we can give u back 4$" i said but the fee was 8$ they said "I'm sorry that's all we can do..you can go to the bank guy that helped you and ask him to reverse it" I was like wow... i can't believe this. So i hung up. My wife calls and said they charged me 8$ as well. I called and they removed it. I called back cause surely if they removed hers they can remove mine. I called and told them the situation and the guy said " it depends on your relationship with the bank." i was like "what do you mean" he said "thats just what they do...some customers can get all fees given back but others cant..it's hard to explain" like no shit!
So i said ok nevermind i'll just go to the bank to get my 8$ fee back. he said "they have the same info i do and won't be able to." Wow...

anyone ever gone through this? or have a good bank?

I been meaning to change banks and I guess you can say this is the straw that broke my back. I'm going to the bank tomorrow and tell them give me my 8$ back or I'm closing my account. I'm not banking with you people anymore. :nope

Das Texan
03-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Any and all big banks suck donkey balls.

clambake
03-03-2009, 02:36 PM
you thought the payments cleared in your favor, in other words, your calculated order.

they didn't.

kudos on getting them to drop 1 fee.

Bigzax
03-03-2009, 02:39 PM
all banks will screw you with that overdraft bullshit.

brick through the window is your only solace.

Das Texan
03-03-2009, 02:41 PM
i prefer the flaming bag of shit on the bank president's front door but thats just me.

Mixability
03-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I prefer keeping enough money in the bank.

Frenzy
03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
That wasn't an option at the time obviously.

Mixability
03-03-2009, 03:07 PM
That wasn't an option at the time obviously.

are you in san antonio?

Frenzy
03-03-2009, 03:18 PM
are you in san antonio?
sometimes

Mixability
03-03-2009, 03:32 PM
sometimes

just wondering if you have SAWS for your water bill, because they charge a small amount if you're late. So instead of a $33 overdraft, you could've just waited to pay the bill and not been out the money for multiple overdrafts.

And you're complaining about an $8 fee for a bank statement?

Wait until you start the closing process on that house you're in the market for.

Frenzy
03-03-2009, 03:45 PM
just wondering if you have SAWS for your water bill, because they charge a small amount if you're late. So instead of a $33 overdraft, you could've just waited to pay the bill and not been out the money for multiple overdrafts.

And you're complaining about an $8 fee for a bank statement?

Wait until you start the closing process on that house you're in the market for.

I don't think you following...see 8 dollars is nothing actually... it's pretty much everything before that's lead up to it. Like i said it' pretty much i had enough. I keep plenty money in the bank now. But when my wife lost her job for the two months it was hard to get by. I did way that option of which one would be the greater late fee..the whole bills i name was just an example... It could have been the light bill,credit card..other other things.

I'm aware of the closing cost. I'm assuming that's what the whole "8,000. tax credit" was for when being a first time home buyer. It's not like it's spending money. I just felt like i was lied to by a bank.....wow a bank telling a lie... you don't say. Lessons learned I suppose.

AlamoSpursFan
03-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Randolph Brooks fucks me all of the time, blatantly, and if you call and complain (which I have) they deny the fuck out of it.

Frito sends my paycheck at exactly 11:00 pm central time Thursday night. Every week. Only exception being weeks where Fridays are major holidays. Then they send it the day before.

If my balance is to the good, I get my money at 11:00. If my balance is close to zero or sometimes below, I don't get the check posted until around 2 am Friday. Why? Because they wait and run the pending transactions BEFORE they post my check. Of course, they claim to know nothing about this when asked, but they do it every single fucking time.

Once, I had 4 outstanding transactions on Thursday night. I checked at 11 and no paycheck. I checked at midnight and no paycheck. I checked at 12:30 and still no paycheck, but all 4 transactions posted and $80 in overdraft charges posted. At 12:45 the system was down, and then at 1:00 (miraculously) my (now $80 lighter) paycheck showed up. Fuckers.

Frenzy
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Randolph Brooks fucks me all of the time, blatantly, and if you call and complain (which I have) they deny the fuck out of it.

Frito sends my paycheck at exactly 11:00 pm central time Thursday night. Every week. Only exception being weeks where Fridays are major holidays. Then they send it the day before.

If my balance is to the good, I get my money at 11:00. If my balance is close to zero or sometimes below, I don't get the check posted until around 2 am Friday. Why? Because they wait and run the pending transactions BEFORE they post my check. Of course, they claim to know nothing about this when asked, but they do it every single fucking time.

Once, I had 4 outstanding transactions on Thursday night. I checked at 11 and no paycheck. I checked at midnight and no paycheck. I checked at 12:30 and still no paycheck, but all 4 transactions posted and $80 in overdraft charges posted. At 12:45 the system was down, and then at 1:00 (miraculously) my (now $80 lighter) paycheck showed up. Fuckers.
are there no good banks left? :depressed

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-03-2009, 04:09 PM
do not go to bank of america. i dont even want to revisit how theyve screwed me. im just sayin dont go to them

TwAnKiEs
03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
do not go to bank of america. i dont even want to revisit how theyve screwed me. im just sayin dont go to them

*sigh* Big + 1 on that :bang

Frenzy
03-03-2009, 04:41 PM
anybody have chase?

Das Texan
03-03-2009, 04:48 PM
chase also sucks.

if you are going to have any chance of not being totally rolled over its sure as fuck not with a big national bank.

I. Hustle
03-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Banks suck dude bottom line. I work for Wells and before you start bitching at me I don't work for a branch I am in operations and handle mostly just business accounts.

Banks are evil. I work for them and they still mess with me so you as an outsider better not get better treatment lol

Melmart1
03-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Try a credit union. I find that since they are member-owned, they are more likely to work with you. If you can get into Security Service, do it. They are awesome.

I have experience too with Woodforest, and their fees are terrible but once when I had a big problem with a direct deposit, they got rid of like $96 in overdraft fees for me, although they said this was one-time only since I had never had issues before. Oh, and I know for sure they always put your deposits in first before taking out pending payments, that is set in stone.

Frenzy
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Try a credit union. I find that since they are member-owned, they are more likely to work with you. If you can get into Security Service, do it. They are awesome.

I have experience too with Woodforest, and their fees are terrible but once when I had a big problem with a direct deposit, they got rid of like $96 in overdraft fees for me, although they said this was one-time only since I had never had issues before. Oh, and I know for sure they always put your deposits in first before taking out pending payments, that is set in stone.

hmmm i haven't heard anything bad about Security Service i do have a loan with them that i'm about to pay off and they keep asking me to just creat an account with them. Perhaps that's the road.

MiamiHeat
03-03-2009, 05:27 PM
maybe you should start using cash until you run out and THEN charge your card for the overdraft fee

for instance, you have 100 bucks

instead of using your card to spend the 100 and then go through this confusion, take the 100 out and use cash only and then when you actually use your card, it goes as planned.

Also, Bank of America are pieces of shit. Don't go there.

I use WAMU for my personal and my business accounts. I know they are owned by Chase now, but WAMU was always good to me.

Frenzy
03-03-2009, 05:32 PM
maybe you should start using cash until you run out and THEN charge your card for the overdraft fee

instead of using your card to spend the 100 and then go through this confusion, take the 100 out and use cash only and then when you actually use your card, it goes as planned
that sir is a fine idea:toast

... trouble is some i can only pay online or with credit card.

Trainwreck2100
03-03-2009, 05:32 PM
are there no good banks left? :depressed

somebody hasn't been watching the news lately

Frenzy
03-03-2009, 05:35 PM
somebody hasn't been watching the news lately
someone exceeded there monthly PB bandwith

ChumpDumper
03-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm thinking about opening an account here:

http://thefinancialbrand.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/redneck-bank.jpg

TheTruth
03-03-2009, 08:01 PM
We have BoA...and while we have been charged some fees it was due mostly to our own faults. But we have had IBC before and they are the fucking worst! We even went in to talk to the manager once and she couldn't give us a straight reason as to why the online account balance wasn't the same as the balance they had in the banks at a given time. It was ridiculous.

Bigzax
03-03-2009, 08:04 PM
i bank at firstmark.

i don't know how bad they screw you on overdraft stuff...

but i likem!

pkbpkb81
03-03-2009, 08:34 PM

instead of using your card to spend the 100 and then go through this confusion, take the 100 out and use cash only and then when you actually use your card, it goes as planned.

Also, Bank of America are pieces of shit. Don't go there.

I use WAMU for my personal and my business accounts. I know they are owned by Chase now, but WAMU was always good to me.

i use to work for wamu and they fuck people all the time

ploto
03-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Is there anyway you can monitor your account online so you know exactly what has cleared. I bank at SSFCU- have forever- and I can access it all online so I know what has cleared and make sure all my automatic drafts have actually been drafted.

Frenzy
03-03-2009, 11:22 PM
on my account it says "pending"...but even pending transactions can be moved...thats what sucks about it. so it's like pending means nothing,

MannyIsGod
03-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Frost is the best bank in San Antonio. You should always stay away from big banks, IMO. They tend to fuck you hard.

Now, that being said, your checking account is not a credit line. Its kinda hard to bitch about overdraft fees considering it involves you spending more money than you have.

TDMVPDPOY
03-04-2009, 12:10 AM
all you clowns ever thought about setting up ur own bank, its easy as long you follow all the guidelines and then run it down to the ground and ask for bail out money then buy urselves each a get :D

ChumpDumper
03-04-2009, 02:52 AM
I have some Dave and Buster's tickets if you want them.

PuttPutt
03-04-2009, 04:01 AM
My wife uses WAMU & I use Baptist Credit Union. Wamu has royaly fucked us many times. Since changing to Chase, they've been cool. We've been overdrawn in that account 2 times & put money right away. They never charged overdraft. It's unusal of a bank to do that, but whatever. I'm cool with it.

mFFL03
03-04-2009, 10:13 AM
So you want to use someone else's money and expect not to be charged for it?

If you don't have money to spend, you shouldn't be spending it. You want to eat? Ramen is like 30 cents. Oil Change? That shouldn't be in your vocabulary if you have a couple of dollars to your name.

Welcome to College 101.

SpursStalker
03-04-2009, 11:14 AM
I prefer keeping enough money in the bank.

:lol

+1

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I talked Bank of America into charging me one overdraft fee instead of six when my situation was similar to yours. They did the same thing where they re-ordered the transactions so that the smallest ones were taken out last, thus charging me fees on all of the small ones instead of the big one. Not sure if they would be so flexible these days.

I think you have every right to feel cheated when they reorder transactions for maximum overdraft opportunities. Your money is there and it should be no inconvenience to them to pay out the lesser charges before the greater ones. Some times those are transactions you may have made on a Friday or Saturday that aren't processed until Monday.... You shouldn't be charged a $30 fee for buying a $5 cheeseburger on Friday when you still had $80. That's a fucking scam if you ask me.

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 11:39 AM
If you can get a credit card through Wells Fargo you may be able to set it up to where if you exceed your available funds, it will pay the rest from your CC. Then you'd just need to pay the CC off when you have the money.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-04-2009, 11:45 AM
My bank allows a transfer from my savings account to cover any overdrafts from my checking. I haven't checked in a while, but I think they charged $3.50/transaction.

Frenzy
03-04-2009, 12:56 PM
I have an idea:

Why don't you work harder so you won't have to blame YOUR lack of money on your bank?

Even working at McDonald's 3 days a week can cover most of your expenses.

You people need to wake up and start working harder if you want to get through this economy!!! No one is going to come knocking at your door to give you free money!!!
I assume you didn't read the whole post and if you did you didn't understand it. So Read it again. :wakeup

Frenzy
03-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I talked Bank of America into charging me one overdraft fee instead of six when my situation was similar to yours. They did the same thing where they re-ordered the transactions so that the smallest ones were taken out last, thus charging me fees on all of the small ones instead of the big one. Not sure if they would be so flexible these days.

I think you have every right to feel cheated when they reorder transactions for maximum overdraft opportunities. Your money is there and it should be no inconvenience to them to pay out the lesser charges before the greater ones. Some times those are transactions you may have made on a Friday or Saturday that aren't processed until Monday.... You shouldn't be charged a $30 fee for buying a $5 cheeseburger on Friday when you still had $80. That's a fucking scam if you ask me.

Good post. Someone gets it.
:tu

2Blonde
03-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Stay far away from Compass Bank & Wells Fargo. Security Service seems good and USAA is good IMO.

TDMVPDPOY
03-05-2009, 02:26 AM
fkn was checkn my account, fkn gettin tax 47% on my interest earned....

fkn stupid bank probably didnt update me details and tax number shit....fkn pissin me off....that money is usually used to pay my internet bills.....or else i wont be online anymore

AlamoSpursFan
03-05-2009, 11:45 AM
So you want to use someone else's money and expect not to be charged for it?

If you don't have money to spend, you shouldn't be spending it. You want to eat? Ramen is like 30 cents. Oil Change? That shouldn't be in your vocabulary if you have a couple of dollars to your name.

Welcome to College 101.

Not sure if you're referring to me or not, but my point was that RB HELD my money that was deposited in my account BEFORE the pending transactions went through so they could charge me for the overdraft fees. That constitutes getting fucked IMO.