PDA

View Full Version : Why do people claim that the Rockets need Mcgrady to win a championship?

djohn2oo8
03-03-2009, 04:27 PM
People constantly say that without tmac in the playoffs, rockets basically can't win a championshp. Well, I guess I missed the part when mcgrady led the rockets into the 2nd round. In the playoffs, Yao has to be the focal point, posting up and making his way to the basket. Double team = pass out for the open shot. I think the reason so many of these nut huggers on espn say that we need mcgrady to be successsful in the playoffs is because they don't want to face the fact of mcgrady hindering a team from advancing. As of now, the ball is moving better, Yao is evolving into an unstoppable force, lowry is getting better quickly, and scola continues to be a beast on the boards. Brooks will be key, as will brent barry not making stupid passes.

Ghazi
03-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Rockets wouldn't win a championship with or without T-Quit.

djohn2oo8
03-03-2009, 04:35 PM
We'll see

MarHill
03-03-2009, 04:46 PM
If Yao becomes dominant and takes over down the stretch in the playoffs..then the Rockets are a viable championship contender.

For all of T-Mac faults.....he could put the ball in the basket and score in bunches. I still remember him scoring 13 points in like 30 or less seconds here in SA a few years back.

Very few guys in the league can do that and in playoff series you need someone like that if you are going to win a championship!!

Agloco
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
People constantly say that without tmac in the playoffs, rockets basically can't win a championshp. Well, I guess I missed the part when mcgrady led the rockets into the 2nd round. In the playoffs, Yao has to be the focal point, posting up and making his way to the basket. Double team = pass out for the open shot. I think the reason so many of these nut huggers on espn say that we need mcgrady to be successsful in the playoffs is because they don't want to face the fact of mcgrady hindering a team from advancing. As of now, the ball is moving better, Yao is evolving into an unstoppable force, lowry is getting better quickly, and scola continues to be a beast on the boards. Brooks will be key, as will brent barry not making stupid passes.

They haven't exactly done much WITHOUT him either....logic would dictate that you've gotta have your best player on the court when the chips are down.

You're delusional if you think the Rockets, as currently built, can challenge for a championship.

blink
03-03-2009, 05:22 PM
because yao ming is a big poon. it's on artest in the playoffs and role players hitting shots at a respectable clip.

i mean, seriously, has there ever been a playoff game where only 4 people scored like the rockets playoff game a couple years ago?

The Franchise
03-03-2009, 05:27 PM
They haven't exactly done much WITHOUT him either....logic would dictate that you've gotta have your best player on the court when the chips are down.

You're delusional if you think the Rockets, as currently built, can challenge for a championship.

As we are built now the only, the only teams that can definitely beat us are the Lakers and the Celtics. We can beat anyone else.

Mugen
03-03-2009, 05:33 PM
as a spurs fan id rather play the rockets than the jazz in the first round.

if guys like aaron brooks, scola, and battier can play out of their minds throughout the playoffs, then the rockets can make a serious run.

however, i see the rockets being tougher than the blazers, mavs, suns, nuggets, and on the same level as new orleans and utah.

sook
03-03-2009, 05:42 PM
i guess people have missed artest's awesome shooting during this stretch?

He has been shooting over 50% from the field and close to 60% from 3.

The rockets already have championship defense but i don't see them winning a championship. Yao is taken out of the game too easilty. These are Artest's #s since Tmac has been out...

(FG%, 3PT%, AST, REB, STL, PTS)
.583 .429 3 4 1 19
.500 .286 1 2 0 18
.375 .500 7 4 3 17
.600 .714 7 4 2 26
.385 .500 5 5 3 21
.333 .500 4 3 1 15
.542 .500 6 1 3 32
.667 .750 4 2 1 23

Ghazi
03-03-2009, 06:20 PM
I doubt he can sustain that kind of 3-PT shooting over the long haul.

Impressive in any case :)

GuerillaBlack
03-03-2009, 06:35 PM
We basically substituted Ron Artest for Tracy McGrady (of this time last year). Only difference is Ron Artest is a better defender. We'll see if his offense can stay consistent.

Agloco
03-03-2009, 06:35 PM
As we are built now the only, the only teams that can definitely beat us are the Lakers and the Celtics. We can beat anyone else.

:rolleyes

Doesn't that mean no championship then?

You can't possibly believe that McGrady COULDN'T help against either of these teams....

Dex
03-03-2009, 06:38 PM
If you don't need him for a championship, then why are you paying him 20 million dollars?

Many PackYao
03-03-2009, 06:40 PM
If Yao becomes dominant and takes over down the stretch in the playoffs..then the Rockets are a viable championship contender.

For all of T-Mac faults.....he could put the ball in the basket and score in bunches. I still remember him scoring 13 points in like 30 or less seconds here in SA a few years back.

Very few guys in the league can do that and in playoff series you need someone like that if you are going to win a championship!!
That happened in Houston brah.

The Franchise
03-03-2009, 06:41 PM
If you don't need him for a championship, then why are you paying him 20 million dollars?

Because the NBA is stupid enough to give guaranteed money.

The Franchise
03-03-2009, 06:42 PM
:rolleyes

Doesn't that mean no championship then?

You can't possibly believe that McGrady COULDN'T help against either of these teams....

No, that means if we get the right matchup we could win.

Girasuck
03-03-2009, 06:43 PM
This is the same shit we hear every year from Rockets fans. I'm more confident this year playing the Rockets than last year or the year before. Artest can't handle Harpring. Matt gets inside Artest's head. It's only a matter of time before Ron Ron blows up playing us. Look at his track record against us.

Then you have Okur on Yao. Okur can only play tough defense on one player in the NBA. That one player happens to be the only player slower than Memo. That would be Yao. We don't have to double team Yao when Okur is guarding him. Sure Memo's offense will suffer but we have a better offensive team this year than last. Plus we can throw Koufos and Fesenko on Yao for a few minutes per game.

Don't get me started on Aaron Brooks guarding DWill.

The only player in a Rockets/Jazz series that would concern me is Scola, especially if he's guarding Boozer instead of Yao.

sook
03-03-2009, 06:57 PM
^ Ignore those idiots, i mean the rockets are good enough to get past the first round, nobody said anything about a championship.

Only 2 players i believe can take this team to championship level. Spot off shooters that can move without the ball like

Kevin Marting

Rip Hamilton.

Without that kind of player the rockets aren't a contender..

sook
03-03-2009, 07:01 PM
You should go back and look at some of those rediculous posts from people like you when the Rockets got Artest.

You've been on here long enough to know which posters to take seriously, for me its just automatic ignore once i read their name, like ghazi, SD, or ThunderDan. I think its common sense that anyone that thinks the rockets can make it to the finals is a stupid homer.

I have merely said, they can make it out of the 1st round.

sook
03-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I doubt he can sustain that kind of 3-PT shooting over the long haul.

Impressive in any case :)

exactly if it was just a normal stretch i would have been like w.e....

But...they came right AFTER mcgrady left, likewise Artest was playing completely shitty when Tmac was playing.

dirk4mvp
03-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Is Utah known for it's rich history of Jazz music?

Roxsfan
03-03-2009, 08:15 PM
They will make it to the 25th round bitches.

Lars
03-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Yao + Tmac + Artest just didn't work. A healthy Artest + Yao + our current role guys is as good or better than any lineup we have had in the past 5 years offensively and defensively. Without turning McGrady's contract into something useful however, we wont be "elite" caliber and won't be able to go toe to toe with everyone in the league. As of right now, I dont think we could beat LA, Boston or Utah in a seven game series. Not because they are the best teams, but because we just don't match up well with them.

As for the west the Rockets can feasibly beat any team outside of LA. Our only realistic hope of title contention would be any combination of Denver, Dallas, NO, Portland or Phoenix in the first and second rounds. That coupled with a Spurs upset of LA in the other bracket. Facing SA in the WCF and then Cleveland in finals would be the only way I could see it going down. Would need drastic seeding changes for that scenario and other than that, probably won't happen for us this year. But heh, our foundation is still pretty solid and with the right roster management, we are dangerous for the next 3-4 years.

Indazone
03-03-2009, 08:31 PM
If our young point guards learn quickly and gel, the Rockets can go toe to toe with anyone.

Biggems
03-03-2009, 08:37 PM

That pic in your sig, the one of her in the black lowcut top is too fuckin sweet for words.....

Biggems
03-03-2009, 08:38 PM
BTW, the Rockets dont need TMac to win a title......they need Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon

Biggems
03-03-2009, 08:47 PM

Imagine in their primes

1B - Bagwell
2B - Biggio
SS - Everett (DEFENSE)
3B - Caminiti
LF - Gonzalez
CF - Finley
RF - Berkman
C - Ausmus (GAME CALLING)

P - Oswalt
P - Clemens
P - Hampton
P - Pettitte
P - Kyle
RP - Wagner
RP - Dotel
RP - Lidge
RP - Qualls
RP - Valverde

This would have been one sweet lineup. If I really could have my way, at SS I would have Jeter and at C I would have Pudge.....then the Astros would have owned MLB for at least a handful of years.

dickface
03-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Well, I guess I missed the part when mcgrady led the rockets into the 2nd round.

I guess you also missed the part when Yao did it.

GuerillaBlack
03-03-2009, 09:14 PM
You should go back and look at some of those rediculous posts from people like you when the Rockets got Artest.

If McGrady did what he was suppose to do over the offseason (like, I don't know, workout!!), then Rockets fans back then had a reason to shout WCF and possibly NBA Finals. Instead, we got a fat/lazy Tracy McGrady at the start of the season.

Indazone
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Sounds like Stevie Franchise when he first got to Houston. Of course he had a torn quadriceps. What's T-Mac's excuse? A knee boo boo?

dirk4mvp
03-03-2009, 09:18 PM
If McGrady did what he was suppose to do over the offseason (like, I don't know, workout!!), then Rockets fans back then had a reason to shout WCF and possibly NBA Finals. Instead, we got a fat/lazy Tracy McGrady at the start of the season.

More like Rocketfan on st was busting a nut after beating the Celtics in a preseason game.

GuerillaBlack
03-03-2009, 09:19 PM
More like Rocketfan on st was busting a nut after beating the Celtics in a preseason game.

I don't remember that.

Indazone
03-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Rockets lost to the Celtics by 2 pts in the preseason game. We didn't win but we played with fire and played well. T-Mac even tried back then.

dirk4mvp
03-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't remember that.

Probably not, considering it turned into Mavfan vs. rocketfan round 304.

djohn2oo8
03-03-2009, 11:56 PM
I guess you also missed the part when Yao did it.

Hey, even mcgrady said it was on him...When you don't go to your 7'6 center every time down the court in the playoffs, you are going to lose.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-04-2009, 07:02 AM
The sad thing is that McGrady himself will probably be rooting for Houston's opponents in the first round.

Rogue
03-04-2009, 09:53 AM
your post still doesn't make any sense even though you made your thread's title even longer than your dick. Rockets would have a slim chance to win the championship if they had a healthy tmac who still can score 62pts in a single night, get a evincive tripple double and make 13pts with 35 seconds.

but that tmac will never wear red no more. It's the fault of those idiotic rockets fans that have been blaming tmac for their failures while just ignoring and spoiling the biggest crap on their team. For sure I'm not aimed at those real rockets fans whose love has nothing to do with Yao but only for their team.

Extra Stout
03-04-2009, 09:58 AM
The Rockets don't need Tracy McGrady to win a title. They need a hypothetical version of Tracy McGrady who is not a selfish malingering quitter. Since no such player exists on their roster, they are just early-round playoff fodder with or without him.

djohn2oo8
03-04-2009, 10:01 AM
your post still doesn't make any sense even though you made your thread's title even longer than your dick. Rockets would have a slim chance to win the championship if they had a healthy tmac who still can score 62pts in a single night, get a evincive tripple double and make 13pts with 35 seconds.

but that tmac will never wear red no more. It's the fault of those idiotic rockets fans that have been blaming tmac for their failures while just ignoring and spoiling the biggest crap on their team. For sure I'm not aimed at those real rockets fans whose love has nothing to do with Yao but only for their team.

Did you have to strain to come up with something as weak as that? Because you make absolutely NO sense EVER!!! If it wasn't for dirk, nobody would even watch the mavs. Oh wait, nobody watches the mavs:lol

As for your failed attempt at a dick joke, I don't blame you for being pissed at the world if yours is as small as a minature tootsie roll

Rogue
03-04-2009, 10:16 AM
some of the rockets fans really have sincere love for their team, but I'm sure you're not one of them djohn2oo8.

JamStone
03-04-2009, 10:19 AM
I don't think anyone, Rockets fans or non-Rockets fans, has claimed that the Rockets can't win a championship without T-Mac. I think most fans don't think the Rockets can win a championship with or without T-Mac. Your thread and question in your title presumes that the Rockets had a viable chance at a championship with a healthy T-Mac, and only delusional Rockets fans believe or believed that. This season, the Rockets weren't going to win a championship with or without T-Mac.

DaDakota
03-04-2009, 10:20 AM
People fail to look at the big picture regarding TMac, they remember his scoring in Orlando (Not him leading the team in shots) they remember his dunks (not the consistent settling for outside shots with a low percentage miss to make ratio), they get caught up in the hype of his having assists (forgetting that he dominated the ball and made all the decisions)....basically they get caught up in hype and not in facts.

Tracy and his style of play are conducive to losing, I hope we can trade him in the offseason...he is not all that great.

DD

Rogue
03-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Tmac used to be a great player, but he has already been totally destroyed by those fake rockets fans.

Indazone
03-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Rockets are better now. Last year we were a donut playoff team. Servicable with Deke in the Center but losing Yao was the killer. This year "knock on wood" Yao is healthy with Artest and Scola make us a much tough matchup overall. If T-Mac comes back 100% healthy next year we will be an even tougher team.

Rogue
03-04-2009, 10:34 AM
those idiots just blame tmac for all those failures that the rockets have gained as a team. It's unfair for anyone to get the whole blame for the team, it takes 5 to play a game.

To be honest, tmac hasn't ever played as great in houston as in Orlando but it's more of a strategy problem than tmac's own issues.

Just like amar'e stoudmire, tmac is also a talented player than has devoted 100% of his talent in offense but the rockets team has nothing to boast of except defense. tmac was forced by JVG to play defense night in and night out, even when his back is badly crushed tmac still has to play games despite the stronge pains from his knee.

then his knee comes right after the ass of his back without giving him even one minute to enjoy the feelings of being healthy. but those idiots still forced him to play games despite the bad injuries and finally they wasted that geniuse player.

May God punish those sinners.

Red Hawk #21
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Rockets wont win a championship but they are sure better without T-mac, i think they can finally get out of the 1st round this year.

DisAsTerBot
03-04-2009, 11:35 AM
those idiots just blame tmac for all those failures that the rockets have gained as a team. It's unfair for anyone to get the whole blame for the team, it takes 5 to play a game.

To be honest, tmac hasn't ever played as great in houston as in Orlando but it's more of a strategy problem than tmac's own issues.

Just like amar'e stoudmire, tmac is also a talented player than has devoted 100% of his talent in offense but the rockets team has nothing to boast of except defense. tmac was forced by JVG to play defense night in and night out, even when his back is badly crushed tmac still has to play games despite the stronge pains from his knee.

then his knee comes right after the ass of his back without giving him even one minute to enjoy the feelings of being healthy. but those idiots still forced him to play games despite the bad injuries and finally they wasted that geniuse player.

May God punish those sinners.

dont use this word if you can't spell it..........you look like even more of an illiterate idiot than you already do...