PDA

View Full Version : Duncan: The ONLY complete big man in NBA

Galileo
03-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Duncan: The ONLY complete big man in NBA

OK gents and babes, here is Galileo's latest statistical analysis.

Here are the latest NBA stats:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/bycategory?cat=Fielding&conference=NBA&year=season_2008&sort=26&qualified=1

Take a gander at the NBA rebound leaders.

Of the players in the NBA averaging 8 rebounds or more, notice that TIM DUNCAN one of the best passers with one of the best assist/Turnover ratio.

Tim Duncan and Pau Gasol are the only really good passers on the list, you have to go down to Lebron James to find someone better.

Duncan averages MORE assists than any player getting 8 boards or more per game.

Gasol is not a shot-blocker, though, Tim is.

Of the players averaging double-digit rebounds, Tim is the only one who is a scorer, shot-blocker, and passer.

Lee and Murphy are not shot-blockers.

Only Dwight Howard is a scorer, and he is a terrible passer.

Duncan is the only complete, elite big man in the NBA.

This will pay dividends come April, May, and June.

wisnub
03-03-2009, 08:03 PM
AMEN....I was going to say Dwight Howard is the best, but since Howard can not pass the ball then Duncan is the best

lefty
03-03-2009, 08:06 PM
A-men!

smrattler
03-03-2009, 08:09 PM
I think I just posted something claiming something like this. You did the research though and proved me right! I just went on what my eyes tell me. :)

Mavs<Spurs
03-03-2009, 08:10 PM
right now, probably true.

certainly, he is the most complete big man in the NBA.

Howard's offense is much more limited.

Shaq's offense is much more limited. And we will have to see if Shaq continues to play at the high level he has this season. He is a good passer. His rebounding seems to have dropped. He can't play back to back games. He was missing many games. I don't think he is a consistent 20 10 yet; his last couple of games definitely moved him closer to that.

Rasheed's averages are very low for his talent level.

good thread starter

:toast

smrattler
03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
What I was saying was that even among the greats of all time, he ranks way up there and might be the most complete ever.

When you take:
1) offensive moves and ability to score when he wants,
2) man-to-man defense, helpside-defense and the anchor of our defense
3) the anchor on both ends of the court actually
4) controlling the boards for his team
5) controlling the paint overall
6) adapting to his teamates to maximize team success (titles, champ games)
7) legendary leadership
8) ...and to produce titles out of it

There are few better, none I can think of.

All-NBA and All-defense team EVERY year with 4 titles to boot so far? How many have been this completeand consistent?

Spursmania
03-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Tim Duncan=The Franchise. Let's enjoy him while we can....:flag:

Galileo
03-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Not mentioned in the stats, but Duncan is the best help defender in the league and one of the best man-to-man defenders, further separating him from the pack, which includes Gasol. Gasol is damn good, though.

Rain318
03-03-2009, 09:13 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/bycategory?cat=Fielding&conference=NBA&year=season_2008&sort=26&qualified=1

Of the players in the NBA averaging 8 rebounds or more, notice that TIM DUNCAN one of the best passers with one of the best assist/Turnover ratio.

Tim Duncan and Pau Gasol are the only really good passers on the list, you have to go down to Lebron James to find someone better.

Of the players averaging double-digit rebounds, Tim is the only one who is a scorer, shot-blocker, and passer.

I agree with all of this cept one
lebron does this consistantly (yea yea i knw he's not a "big")
but Tim is one of the greatest Bigs of all time

Thomas82
03-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Tim Duncan=The Franchise. Let's enjoy him while we can....:flag:

You got that right!!

peskypesky
03-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Tim Duncan is easily the most complete big man in the league. Plays great on both ends of the court. He is the complete package. Scoring, rebounding, passing, blocking, making his team-mates better, and most of all, taking his team to 4 Championships.

B-Hath
03-04-2009, 01:27 AM
True ... Double True.

Andy25
03-04-2009, 01:31 AM
I will cry the day he retires.

senorglory
03-04-2009, 01:38 AM
What's your take on Yao?

dav4463
03-04-2009, 01:46 AM
It is amazing how he always so overlooked by the media. They just say he's good, but he is never mentioned among the all-time greats and he should be the first one mentioned.

He is always overshadowed by the media darlings.

All you heard about early in Tim's career was Shaq. Then the Nowitski/Nash media lovefest lasted a couple of years. Now it's a Kobe/LeBron lovefest, yet Duncan is there every year and is the most consistent superstar in the game.

Baseline
03-04-2009, 02:11 AM
In fact, Duncan is so good that he is unconcerned with anything but winning. He's very smart, so he knows that the more things he does in all aspects of the game, his chances of winning are higher.

I've always felt that if Duncan played for a big market team without the financial constraints the Spurs have (we are currently 21st in the league in total salary), then we would have 6-8 rings.

Also, his teams would get more respect from the league and the refs, and thus would not get reamed like the 0.04 Fisher shot and the Brent Barry no-call last year.

The Spurs have won four rings despite the shortcomings that come with being a small market team -- a further testiment to Duncan's greatness.

slayermin
03-04-2009, 02:28 AM
In fact, Duncan is so good that he is unconcerned with anything but winning. He's very smart, so he knows that the more things he does in all aspects of the game, his chances of winning are higher.

I've always felt that if Duncan played for a big market team without the financial constraints the Spurs have (we are currently 21st in the league in total salary), then we would have 6-8 rings.

Also, his teams would get more respect from the league and the refs, and thus would not get reamed like the 0.04 Fisher shot and the Brent Barry no-call last year.

The Spurs have won four rings despite the shortcomings that come with being a small market team -- a further testiment to Duncan's greatness.

Great post. It is amazing what TD has accomplished here in San Antonio.

Thomas82
03-04-2009, 07:49 AM
I will cry the day he retires.

A lot of people will.

Thomas82
03-04-2009, 07:51 AM

And that's not even half of what they have had to battle.

Horse
03-04-2009, 09:03 AM
right now, probably true.

certainly, he is the most complete big man in the NBA.

Howard's offense is much more limited.

Shaq's offense is much more limited. And we will have to see if Shaq continues to play at the high level he has this season. He is a good passer. His rebounding seems to have dropped. He can't play back to back games. He was missing many games. I don't think he is a consistent 20 10 yet; his last couple of games definitely moved him closer to that.

Rasheed's averages are very low for his talent level.

good thread starter

:toast
On shaq your forgetting the point of the thread and that's complete player shaq could'nt defend me or you.

spurspokesman
03-04-2009, 09:40 AM

While I agree with you I'd ask that you take A look at Al Jefferson. Timmy is the best but this guy flat out plays.

HarlemHeat37
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Al Jefferson is a horrible defensive player though..

Duncan is definitely the best all-around big man..he has no significant flaws in his game, even his FT shooting is at 70%, which is respectable for a big man..

Howard- poor passer, no offensive versatility..
KG- his scoring is no longer as good due to declining inside game..
Dirk- bad defensive player, not consistent in the post..
Yao- lack of killer instinct, not consistent defensively..
Shaq- doesn't play consistent D, no offensive versatility..
Bosh- doesn't play D at all, soft..
Amare- doesn't play D at all, doesn't rebound consistently, no post game, no passing..
Al Jefferson- doesn't play D at all, poor passer..
Boozer- doesn't play D at all..
Gasol- good all-around player, but weaker in every aspect..
West- not consistent defensively or on the boards..

Galileo
03-04-2009, 03:17 PM
While I agree with you I'd ask that you take A look at Al Jefferson. Timmy is the best but this guy flat out plays.

OK, Gary.

Galileo
03-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Al Jefferson is a horrible defensive player though..

Duncan is definitely the best all-around big man..he has no significant flaws in his game, even his FT shooting is at 70%, which is respectable for a big man..

Howard- poor passer, no offensive versatility..
KG- his scoring is no longer as good due to declining inside game..
Dirk- bad defensive player, not consistent in the post..
Yao- lack of killer instinct, not consistent defensively..
Shaq- doesn't play consistent D, no offensive versatility..
Bosh- doesn't play D at all, soft..
Amare- doesn't play D at all, doesn't rebound consistently, no post game, no passing..
Al Jefferson- doesn't play D at all, poor passer..
Boozer- doesn't play D at all..
Gasol- good all-around player, but weaker in every aspect..
West- not consistent defensively or on the boards..

Good analysis. Pau might be the 2nd best big man out there right now. His shot blocks are way down this year for some reason, though.

HarlemHeat37
03-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't say Gasol's the 2nd best big man..I'd say he's the 3rd best ALL-AROUND big man, next to Tim and KG..

his impact is less than Duncan and Howard though, since he's a #2 option..he never sees double teams due to having Kobe on his team..he's still soft a lot of the time too..

IMO, I'd rank the best big men like this..

1- Duncan
2- Howard
3- KG
4- Dirk
5- Yao
6- Gasol

that's just me though..

Galileo
03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't say Gasol's the 2nd best big man..I'd say he's the 3rd best ALL-AROUND big man, next to Tim and KG..

his impact is less than Duncan and Howard though, since he's a #2 option..he never sees double teams due to having Kobe on his team..he's still soft a lot of the time too..

IMO, I'd rank the best big men like this..

1- Duncan
2- Howard
3- KG
4- Dirk
5- Yao
6- Gasol

that's just me though..

Gasol is ahead of kobe this year in win shares and NBA efficiency.

Brazil
03-04-2009, 04:24 PM
One quick thought not I'm considering him as a big man but Boris Diaw is damn complete too : passing, rebounding, scoring, decent defender, some blocks and interceptions, team oriented.

To avoid stupid posts: I'm not comparing Diaw and Duncan.

TwinTowers
03-04-2009, 05:07 PM
To me Duncan, Olajuwon, and Russell (in no particular order) are the most complete big men in history of the NBA. Not only look at the stats, title, or awards. They are/were greatest off the court too, real class acts.