PDA

View Full Version : Suns' Sarver calling TD/Manu Chickens?

milkyway21
03-10-2005, 01:41 AM
...:wtf. YOU LOST TO THE SPURS TWICE THIS SEASON(& ALMOST TONIGHT),YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO CALL THEM CHICKENS

Phoenix ties top mark as Duncan and Ginobili watch
Web Posted: 03/10/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

PHOENIX — Robert Sarver, millionaire banker and Phoenix Suns rookie owner, apparently also knows his way around a barnyard. As the Spurs took the floor for Wednesday's tip, Sarver flapped his arms and shouted, "Chickens!"

Sarver looked at Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, both dressed casually in jeans instead of their usual game-night attire, and tried to wave them onto the court. The Spurs shrugged. If the Suns are going to beat them at full strength, they'll have to wait until the playoffs.

Phoenix delivered a 107-101 victory in front of the sellout crowd of 18,422, but the Spurs didn't walk out of America West Arena with their heads down. Though coach Gregg Popovich elected to rest his two All-Stars while Suns forward Amare Stoudemire scored 44 points, the team put up a considerable fight.

"Just because Timmy and Manu aren't playing that doesn't mean we can't compete," said Tony Parker, who scored a season-high 30 points. "I'm not even surprised it was close."

The Suns' victory in the teams' third and final regular-season meeting moves them into a tie with the Spurs for the NBA's best record at 47-14. The Spurs had clinched the head-to-head tiebreaker by winning the first two games.

Popovich didn't want to play Duncan on back-to-back nights after he sprained his right ankle Sunday. Ginobili, Popovich said, needed rest because of nagging hip, shoulder and groin injuries, the latter of which surfaced after Tuesday's victory over New Jersey.

"It's obviously not great timing because of who we're playing, but that's got to be secondary to the big picture," Popovich said before the game. "Without (Duncan) and Manu being whole come playoff time, we should plan a summer vacation real quickly."

Perhaps not that quickly. The Spurs trailed by as many as 15 in the first half before clawing back to tie at 66-66 with 5:16 remaining in the third quarter.

Using a small lineup for much of the game — Devin Brown and Bruce Bowen began the second half as the two forwards — the Spurs were still within three points with a little more than three minutes to play. Tony Massenburg and Parker missed point-blank shots in the closing minutes, and the Suns were able to corral a loose rebound that led to a wide-open dunk for Stoudemire with 1:19 remaining.

"I thought the guys gave a great effort and competed hard and played to win," Popovich said. "I thought they did a good job."

The absence of Duncan and Ginobili, who scored 48 points in the teams' previous visit here, left the Spurs with 10 players in uniform, though Popovich had no intention of playing center Nazr Mohammed, who missed his fourth game because of a strained groin.

While Duncan lobbied unsuccessfully to play, Ginobili said he knew for much of the past week he would have to miss at least one game because of his mounting injuries and fatigue.

"The last (game) was really hard to get my body going," Ginobili said. "We have to think more about the future than today."

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni also has expressed concerns about preserving his team's health, particularly that of Steve Nash, who has been nursing a tender hamstring. The Suns lost a starter midway through the first quarter when Quentin Richardson suffered a mild concussion after Brent Barry knocked him to the ground driving to the basket.

Still, the Suns had hoped to face the Spurs at full strength because it would provide a good measure of their progress. Afterward, they weren't quite sure what to think.

"We wanted their big guns out there," Suns forward Shawn Marion said. "It takes a little momentum (from) you when they're not playing, but at the same time we went out and got the win and that's all that matters."

Barry (37), Brown (37) and Mike Wilks (20) all logged their most minutes of the season. Parker scored all of his points in the first three quarters before fatigue caught up to him.

"Me, personally, I ran out of gas in the fourth quarter," Parker said. "I had no legs."

The Spurs thought they learned something in the loss.

"It lets us know we can trust in the system to keep us in ballgames," Barry said. "If we defend properly and make an effort to do the things we're supposed to do, we can play with anybody."

...WE'LL SEE YOU AGAIN IN THE PLAYOFFS!

Kori Ellis
03-10-2005, 01:41 AM
Nice behavior from an owner. :wtf :wtf :wtf

milkyway21
03-10-2005, 01:47 AM
Holt is pretty much classy than that Rookie Suns owner. He needs a spanking... Stevie Kerr can you do it for me, pls?

Glad I'm a Spurs fan.

Mr. Body
03-10-2005, 01:47 AM
I'm not impressed with the Suns' class.
When the Pistons played there a week ago, during the game they played Queen's "We Are the Champions." Detroit should have shoved it down their throats for that, which unfortunately they didn't. I kept thinking, "Um, no you aren't."

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-10-2005, 01:51 AM
Robert Sarver can suck my dick. Call me when your team figures out how to keep our short little PGs, Wilks and Parker, out of the lane.

milkyway21
now i understand why Jason Kidd gave them the finger in 2002....

Rick Von Braun
Nice behavior from an owner. :wtf :wtf :wtf
My impression as well. Not even Cuban will say something like that! :angel

timvp
03-10-2005, 01:53 AM
Nice.

More bulletin board material. I think the Spurs have figured out the Suns. I'm not too concerned with a playoff matchup against PHX.

Bring them on.

milkyway21
03-10-2005, 01:57 AM
i was actually happy even if we didn't win. then, suddenly I'm :cuss :cuss :cuss

i like the healthy competition bet the Spurs & the Suns. Now, I'm grrrrr :cuss

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-10-2005, 02:35 AM
That's alright, if we needed any extra motivation should we meet in the playoffs, I think we definitely have it between this asshat and Amare taunting our bench.

T Park
03-10-2005, 02:56 AM
Phoenix aint shit, if the SPurs meet them in the playoffs its out in 5.
The suns are doing it with smoke and mirrors.

THe only teams that concern me are Houston and Detroit.

If the Spurs beat them on the 20th and whenever they play Houston IN SA again, good setup for the playoffs.

Hell, I think the team is rounding out nicely.

If Brent Barry could pull his head out of his ass, then the team could improve even more.

I say give Devin Brown Barry's minutes, at least Brown will hustle and rebound.

milkyway21
03-10-2005, 03:21 AM
TP said he ran out of gas:cry. Shld Pops give extra minutes to Udrih in the next couple of games? Say 5-10 more.

thoughts? :rolleyes

AFE7FATMAN
03-10-2005, 03:56 AM
Its gonna be great when the Nuggets knock them out of the first round

I don't want the spurs to go against the Nuggets, George Karl has and will keep them on a roll.

SUNS OWNER won't enjoy the playoffs-You can take it to the bank

Slo spurs fan
03-10-2005, 04:07 AM
Sarver>>>>>>Sequ

Ginofan
03-10-2005, 07:19 AM
A fitting owner for a fitting team. Seriously I think I might hate Amare more than KG at this point. The guy is too cocky for his own good. Staring down opponents after every angry dunk, puuuuhhhlease. Learn to play some defense before you go to do pushups and pose like Superman there buddy. With his athleticism he should be grabbing 10+boards and blocking the mess out of everyone. But noooo, my name is Amare and I like to dunk woofreakin'hoo.

And the owner...my god, like Robert said, get your own identity, the crazed fan-like role is already taken by Cuban. I wish we would've won last night and maybe have Robert flap his arms in front of Sarver, stupid worthless POS. And here's a suggestion, save the fruity fireworks for the playoffs, you haven't got anything to celebrate.

ShoogarBear
03-10-2005, 08:04 AM
"It lets us know we can trust in the system to keep us in ballgames," Barry said. "If we defend properly and make an effort to do the things we're supposed to do, we can play with anybody."

Nice quote.

If only the guy saying it BACKED IT THE F&^% UP!

GrandeDavid
03-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Ginofan, helluva take! Very, very nice! :smokin

Solid D
03-10-2005, 09:07 AM
TP could barely put one leg in front of the other in the 4th. His legs looked like rubber. I thought Pop gave the minutes to the guys who were playing hard and executing, regardless of how fatigued they were...almost like he wanted to see what they were made of. Beno got ripped early in the 4th by Pop on his decisions on a side entry-pass to Mass and Beno was jerked out of the game.

Tired legs in the 4th quarter on a 2nd game of a B2B. Hmmm. where have we heard that before.

smeagol
03-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Robert Sarver, millionaire banker and Phoenix Suns rookie owner,
Millionaire bankers are usually a-holes.

Kori Ellis
03-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Livid over the Spurs' mysterious decision to rest Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, the incoming Suns owner put on his own marquee performance Wednesday at America West Arena, one that got the attention of the visitors' bench.

He screamed at Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to put his headline players in the game. More than once, he stood up from his courtside seat and flapped his arms like a chicken. And near the end of the first half, he and a couple of friends engaged in a derogatory chant aimed at the opponent.

"Varsity! Varsity! Varsity!"

It was a night when we're all lucky that Sarver didn't possess a giant foam finger with the middle digit extended. Just as alarming, it was a night when the Suns struggled to beat a team that was casually resting its two All-Star performers.

Hopefully, it will not be a night that comes back to haunt a team with championship dreams.

"Yeah, we saw (Sarver), and I have no comment on that," the Spurs' Robert Horry said. "Me, personally, I just think he's trying to be another Mark Cuban. You know? Get your own identity."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0310bickley0310.html

T Park
03-10-2005, 12:14 PM
lol great crackback Robert.

Good classy retort.

Let them act like aholes, and play the class mode.

Once again, the Spurs organization comes out on top.

Let me ask ya somethin Brent.

If you think the system works?? HOw come your dicksuckers dont think it does?

Brent believes in the system, yet, his lovers dont. Hilarious.

Hey brent, by the way, give back your wifes fuckin ovaries you chicken.

Kori Ellis
03-10-2005, 12:17 PM
I think what happened to the Suns organization is Jerry Colangelo stepping aside. They used to be very classy. In the past, they got rid of players for off-the-court antics and behaved with class on the court. Now they have this chicken dancing owner, Amare doing push-ups, and too much celebrating for regular season games.

It's sad.

T Park
03-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Agreed.

Jerry used to have such great guys like Richard Dumas.

No I kid. Its true, ever since then, the whole organization seems different honestly.

exstatic
03-10-2005, 12:31 PM
I would LOVE to see the Spurs drop just one game in a potential WCF matchup...just to get them back to the SBC, so when we kick their ass, we can blare, over the SBC sound system:

The Chicken Dance

duncan2k5
03-10-2005, 01:49 PM
We should flap like chickens (i know were to smart and classy for that) in their stadium after sweeping them in the WCF...if they make it there. sorry for sounding stupid but why is chanting "varsity" derogatory?

tekdragon
03-10-2005, 02:27 PM
One of our photoshop experts needs to doctor up a book cover for Chicken Soup for a First Round Exit.

Summers
03-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Duncan2k5, I had to ask the same question. :) Shoogar Bear was good enough to asnwer for me in another thread:

He was implying that the Spurs were only sending out the JV squad to play the Suns. He wanted them to play the "Varsity", i.e. Tim and Manu. Really backfired on him, in retrospect. It's one thing to be a bigmouth taunter. It's another thing to be a lame bigmouth taunter.

Summers
03-10-2005, 03:30 PM
I would LOVE to see the Spurs drop just one game in a potential WCF matchup...just to get them back to the SBC, so when we kick their ass, we can blare, over the SBC sound system:

The Chicken Dance

:lol God, that would be awesome!

Manu20
03-10-2005, 03:38 PM
http://www.spinningloft.com/multimedia/images/shutup.jpg

This is for you Robert Sarver!

SirChaz
03-10-2005, 04:28 PM

The Chicken Dance

Damn you exstatic!!!

Now I have that stupid song in my head today.

:pctoss

td4mvp21
03-10-2005, 07:56 PM
well all im gonna say is pride comes before a fall. i would get so angry when the lakers used to do the same thing, and i kept telling myself that, and look where they are! we eliminated them, they broke up the team, etc. We even made Kobe and Dfish cry when we did(very classy and grownup huh?lol)

E20
03-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Pop is so genuis! He made 18,422 people waste there money and watch a game that had no meaning and he managed to piss off the Suns.

milkyway21
10-20-2014, 11:42 PM
2005 Bump.
Pissed him off again lately :rollin .
Right decision too ... the Spurs won rhe title that year.

Sean Cagney
10-21-2014, 02:25 AM

The Chicken Dance

LOL and we ended up beating them in 5 like you said and someone else predicted in here, he said no more than 5 games if they met.

What is funny is the Barry hate early on and throughout in here, he then would help us bigtime in a few games in the WCF as far as beating PHX, when some were dissing Barry alot in here during the posts. I don't remember at the time how he was playing but it must not have been too good with the posts I read in here but he atoned later on and showed up in the Finals too when Tony was doing his annual choke job in big games which he used to do.
2005 Bump.
Pissed him off again lately :rollin .
Right decision too ... the Spurs won rhe title that year.
Pops quote now is even more classic to say the least, he did not forget. That guy is a clown.