PDA

View Full Version : NON-Spurs/Lakers fans, how will Gooden do in S.A.?

Cry Havoc
03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Poll forthcoming.

BlackSwordsMan
03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Spurs/Lakers fans = 80% of the forum

Darthkiller
03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
is he still injuryed/sick or something. he would be a real good fit if he is healthy.

Cry Havoc
03-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Spurs/Lakers fans = 80% of the forum

I'm looking for objective opinions here, not 4000 people to vote on this.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-03-2009, 10:31 PM
It's just my opinion he'll be benched after he drives Popovich up a wall for not giving an ounce of effort on D.

dirk4mvp
03-03-2009, 10:39 PM
It's just my opinion he'll be benched after he drives Popovich up a wall for not giving an ounce of effort on D.

This.

Also, Devan George would probably score higher on an iq test than Gooden.

I can't wait to read some of the threads in the Spurs forum after few games to see how much you guys hate him.

Cry Havoc
03-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Wow, all polls even at 4 right now. :lol

tlongII
03-03-2009, 10:49 PM
He'll help a little bit. Not enough to get the Spurs to the WCF though.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-03-2009, 11:09 PM
This.

Also, Devan George would probably score higher on an iq test than Gooden.

I can't wait to read some of the threads in the Spurs forum after few games to see how much you guys hate him.

:lol yeah he's gonna be hated by a lot of them within a week. I think even Danny Fortson or Ricky Buckets would outscore Gooden on an IQ test.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Lol 7 people voted for Gooden being a huge help to the Spurs. I'm sure none of the 7 are Spurs fans......

lefty
03-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Gooden will average 34/17 vs the Lakers :D

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Gooden will average 34/17 vs the Lakers :D

Yeah and so will Goran Dragic if the Suns get the 8 seed.

sribb43
03-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Gooden is a piece of shit, go ask the 10+ teams he has played for in about 7 years

JoeTait75
03-04-2009, 12:26 AM
He'll help them the one game per week in which he shows up offensively. 25/15 one night; 5/5 the next night = 15/10 career everage

Pop should be canonized if he gets Drew to do something other than stand slackjawed when he's supposed to be rotating.

monosylab1k
03-04-2009, 01:44 AM
Gooden is a guy that can beat the crap out of a weaker opponent, but he'll never be any good in a game that actually means something. He would have fit in so perfectly with the Mavs.

Ghazi
03-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Gooden is a guy that can beat the crap out of a weaker opponent, but he'll never be any good in a game that actually means something. He would have fit in so perfectly with the Mavs.

Hell the Mavs can't even beat the crap outta weak opponents anymore.
:depressed

But we'll do it tonight :king

Lars
03-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Gooden is notorious for being boneheaded. Will probably ride the pine most of the time.

Cry Havoc
03-04-2009, 04:03 AM
Lol 7 people voted for Gooden being a huge help to the Spurs. I'm sure none of the 7 are Spurs fans......

And I'm poooositive that none of the people who voted for option #3 are Lakers fans, or individuals biased against San Antonio or Gooden. Mmhmm.

hater
03-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Gooden is notorious for being boneheaded. Will probably ride the pine most of the time.

LMFAO

you mean the way he's been riding the pine his whole career :lol

JamStone
03-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Drew Gooden has been an enigma for most of his career. He has the size, athleticism, and ability to be a quality starter in the league. But, he has struggled with inconsistency and hasn't really improved his basketball IQ since he's been in the league. The years in Cleveland, I've read a lot about how Cavs fans just get frustrated to the point of being infuriated with his stupidity, particularly at the defensive end. Now, if Drew is willing to take in Pop's coaching and really make a concerted effort to focus and learn and bring effort, he could be very good for the Spurs. The problem is he's rarely showed the capacity to do that. His mistakes will be greatly minimized playing next to Duncan and not having much responsibility with Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili. But, if he continues to make mistakes, particularly at the defensive end, I think Pop will grow irritated with him.

I say he improves the Spurs front court simply because his talent upgrades their front court. But, I'm not convinced he will give the Spurs the impact they need to match up with the Lakers or Celtics. Maybe the Cavs, but they'd have to get past the Lakers in order to get to that point.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 11:10 AM
And I'm poooositive that none of the people who voted for option #3 are Lakers fans, or individuals biased against San Antonio or Gooden. Mmhmm.

Yes that's def. true, however if you've ever read any of my posts you know I'm not biased against the Spurs so I'm hoping you're not referring to me.

hater
03-04-2009, 11:12 AM
mav fans. just go ahead and start saying:

5 rings bitch!

gmanrulz
03-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Hell the Mavs can't even beat the crap outta weak opponents anymore.
:depressed

But we'll do it tonight :king

there are no weaker opponents

Cry Havoc
03-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Yes that's def. true, however if you've ever read any of my posts you know I'm not biased against the Spurs so I'm hoping you're not referring to me.

Perhaps. What I can't understand is how Spurs fans are so insatiably intent on keeping Matt Bonner as the primary PF/C alongside Duncan. Because he never makes defensive gaffes? Because he's such a good rebounder? I love Bonner, but man, that's the guy that actually had Parker pushing him into an offensive player because he wasn't rotating at the top of the key like he should have been.

I understand the criticism aimed at Gooden. I don't understand how he's suddenly our worst option in the eyes of some Spurs fans. We now have two very viable rebounding threats in the post, and 3 if KT gets his act together, which he has been lately.

ElNono
03-04-2009, 11:51 AM
If there are enough minutes to play Malik Hairston, there's sure enough minutes for Gooden. And don't forget that even Oberto looked good in our last championship run playing besides Duncan. TD can do that to your game.
I also think Pop will be lenient on Drew's mistakes until next season (if we actually keep him). He did the same with Kurt Thomas last year.
If he's motivated, Gooden can be a decent player, and certainly quicker than both Thomas and Oberto. He can be a better rebounder than Bonner too.

Spursmania
03-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Whether or not Gooden can play better D while being on the Spurs team is not as significant as the Laker bigs having to defend him and Timmy together. Even picking up an extra foul or two on Gasol and the LA bigs is a huge ++ for the Spurs. Thus giving the Spurs the extra edge that can make all the difference in a close game.

Whatever the case, this is bad news for the Lakers and good news for the Spurs.

Leetonidas
03-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Tim Duncan is going to shit on Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum either way.

JamStone
03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Whether or not Gooden can play better D while being on the Spurs team is not as significant as the Laker bigs having to defend him and Timmy together.

You are suggesting that Drew Gooden is some consistent potent scorer, which he is not. Matt Bonner is actually more of mismatch for the Laker front court defensively than Gooden is. Gooden is capable of hitting a midrange jumper, but he's generally not some crazy threat offensively on most nights. He can help with offensive rebounding and slightly better defense than Bonner or Oberto. But in saying that, he's still not a great defender and often times he's a poor defender in terms of mental focus.

Even picking up an extra foul or two on Gasol and the LA bigs is a huge ++ for the Spurs. Thus giving the Spurs the extra edge that can make all the difference in a close game.

Whatever the case, this is bad news for the Lakers and good news for the Spurs.

Drew Gooden helps the Spurs, but he's not the type of guy that instills fear in opponents. Good pick-up. About as significant as if the Spurs picked up Stromile Swift, in my opinion.

JoeTait75
03-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Drew does have the ability to carry a team offensively on a given night. Bonner, as far as I know, does not.

Cry Havoc
03-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Drew Gooden helps the Spurs, but he's not the type of guy that instills fear in opponents. Good pick-up. About as significant as if the Spurs picked up Stromile Swift, in my opinion.

When has SS averaged 13 and 8? Refresh my memory.

What I like about Gooden is that he brings a legitimate post presence to the Spurs, something Rasheed would have done as well. He's a guy you have to respect and box out in and around the hoop, because if you don't he's going to be in the double digits in rebounds for the game.

If the Spurs have 3 bigs who combined average 25 boards per game against the Lakers (Duncan 11-12 rpg, Gooden 8 rpg, Bonner or KT 5+ rpg), that's going to be a major turning point in the WCF, provided both teams make it there. Gooden gives the Spurs the ability to still have decent (not great) playmaking inside without Duncan on the floor. Without Gooden, the Spurs are extremely limited inside if Timmy is sitting.

JamStone
03-04-2009, 01:53 PM
When has SS averaged 13 and 8? Refresh my memory.

Stromile has similar size and abilities as Drew Gooden. Gooden has definitely been more productive. But I think Stromile lost a lot of passion for the game when he was traded back to Memphis in 2006. Stromile also hasn't been able to get the confidence from any of his coaches to play more than reserve minutes. But, look at their per36 statistics:

Gooden: 15.3 ppg, 10.1 rpg, .470 FG%, 0.8 bpg
Stromile: 15.3 ppg, 8.4 rpg, .474 FG%, 2.3 bpg

Gooden: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/goodedr01.html
Stromile: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/swiftst01.html

I'm just saying. Just like a change of scenery may be what Gooden needs, same could be said for Stromile except for it making an even bigger difference. Both bring similar things to me.

What I like about Gooden is that he brings a legitimate post presence to the Spurs, something Rasheed would have done as well. He's a guy you have to respect and box out in and around the hoop, because if you don't he's going to be in the double digits in rebounds for the game.

You're kidding yourself if you think Gooden brings a legitimate post presence. He doesn't suck, but since when was he ever considered a legit post presence? If that was the case, why would he ever been traded by the Bulls, who are in desperate need of post presence? Drew Gooden hasn't been respected by any competition in years. Not a bad player, but you hype him too much.

If the Spurs have 3 bigs who combined average 25 boards per game against the Lakers (Duncan 11-12 rpg, Gooden 8 rpg, Bonner or KT 5+ rpg), that's going to be a major turning point in the WCF, provided both teams make it there. Gooden gives the Spurs the ability to still have decent (not great) playmaking inside without Duncan on the floor. Without Gooden, the Spurs are extremely limited inside if Timmy is sitting.

Gooden will likely help in offensive rebounding. Don't think he'll make a huge impact on defensive boards as Duncan will still be the main guy for that and Bonner has been decent for what is expected from him. But be realistic. Drew Gooden cannot consistently compete with either Gasol or Odom or Bynum if healthy on the boards.

Again, solid pick-up. I'm not sold Gooden is the impact player that puts the Spurs over the top or even really makes them that much more of a threat to the Lakers or Celtics especially. Maybe the Cavs if those two teams should meet, but that will be tough since in all likelihood they'd have to get through the Lakers first.

pauls931
03-04-2009, 01:57 PM
I just think LA is too stacked for anyone to do much about them. LA determines whether they win the championship or not this time around.

DrHouse
03-04-2009, 02:04 PM
The Lakers only threat is their health.

That's why I'm not terribly concerned with what any other team is doing with regards to picking up FA's.

I know that as long as the Lakers have all their horses in the playoffs it won't really matter what other teams do. They're going to lose.