PDA

View Full Version : Gooden injury possibility = must retain POPS

poop
03-03-2009, 11:40 PM
gooden seems like a great find. BUT the hernia thing is scary, what if he ends up being out of action? entirely possible.

due to this we MUST keep POPS, who isnt injured and gives us an explosive inside presence in case Gooden has to be out.

discuss

superbigtime
03-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Pops is out. Unfortunate.

smrattler
Nothing to discuss.

Pops stays.

:downspin:

Marcus Bryant
What if Pops doesn't want us? *sniff* What will we do?

m33p0
03-03-2009, 11:42 PM
another 10-day contract wouldn't hurt while ducktail heals up.

MarHill
03-03-2009, 11:44 PM

Oh no...Pops may not want us!!

:cry

Spurs fans are overvaluing a D-League player!! :lmao

coyotes_geek
03-03-2009, 11:44 PM
another 10-day contract wouldn't hurt while ducktail heals up.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see that happen. If Gooden is two weeks or more away from being able to play then there's no rush to sign him.

Hemotivo
03-03-2009, 11:46 PM

nice avatar

Spursmania
03-03-2009, 11:46 PM
True-I just hope it's not surgery or he's out 8 weeks. When do the playoffs start-the end of April?

TheProfessor
03-03-2009, 11:47 PM
gooden seems like a great find. BUT the hernia thing is scary, what if he ends up being out of action? entirely possible.

due to this we MUST keep POPS, who isnt injured and gives us an explosive inside presence in case Gooden has to be out.

discuss
If Pop is only playing him during scrub-time in blowouts, he's not really giving us anything, is he? The Spurs aren't cutting Udoka or Vaughn, so there's really no point in getting all bent out of shape. Bye Pops, we hardly knew ye.

Spursmania
Yeah Marcus, you changed your avatar.

ElNono
Wouldn't be surprised at all to see that happen. If Gooden is two weeks or more away from being able to play then there's no rush to sign him.

Is that so? I thought he needed to be signed ASAP so he's eligible for the playoffs?

Spurs9
03-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Hmm, i wish we keep pops.

KaiRMD1
I hope we retain pops, he's the explosive player that we need at the moment. Not to mention, he could blossom into something great.......then again, he could become like Francisco Elson. Either way, pops needs to be retained.

K-State Spur

discuss

regardless of whether Gooden plays zero games for the Spurs or becomes Antoine Carr reincarnate...

there's a 99.99999999% chance that Pops will be completely irrelevant to the Spurs' playoff success.

EricB
03-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Fuck Pops.

xtremesteven33
03-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Whats with this Forum and "Whale Killer"????

a couple of dunk in garbage time and everybody freaks.....

xtremesteven33

K-State Spur
I hope we retain pops, he's the explosive player that we need at the moment. Not to mention, he could blossom into something great.......then again, he could become like Francisco Elson. Either way, pops needs to be retained.

he's got the ability to exceed it, but if you set Elson's career as the benchmark right now for Pops, I'd bet the under. he's got a long way to go just to match that.

Mr Bones
03-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Whatever happens, I have to applaud the Front Office of the Spurs. First, they find and assign Pops to their d league affiliate, where he quickly becomes the best player in that league, statistically. Then a few guys get waived-- Joe Smith, Gooden, Swift-- and the Spurs are able to secure a commitment from the best of those three to play for them. They were tempted to trade away some young talent just before the trade deadline, but decided against it, which was also a good move. The added depth can only help at this point. Even if something out of the blue happened, like Bonner or Thomas getting injured, the Spurs could possibly go with Gooden and Mahinmi, even if both are freshly recovered from injuries. It certainly beats the prospect of trying to win games in the playoffs with a small ball line up that includes even limited minutes of Finley or Udoka at PF.

ducks
03-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Udoka needs to be cut

m33p0
03-04-2009, 12:00 AM
no, no. others might sign him. if the spurs are already at the 15-man limit, somebody needs to be let go if the spurs want to keep Pops on the roster. the good news is, whoever that somebody is won't be eligible to play in the playoffs since march 1 has come and gone.

so question now is who do the spurs cut in favor of an unproven d-leaguer?

ducks
03-04-2009, 12:01 AM
gooden may have already agreed not to sign tell he is healthy

m33p0
03-04-2009, 12:03 AM
verbal agreement amounts to nothing in the nba. ask the cavaliers how that worked out with carlos boozer.

coyotes_geek
03-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Is that so? I thought he needed to be signed ASAP so he's eligible for the playoffs?

The rule is that you can't be on one team after March 1st and then be eligible for the playoffs for another team. The rush was for Gooden to get waived by March 1st, but the Spurs could wait and sign him on the last day of the regular season if they wanted to.

FromWayDowntown
03-04-2009, 12:06 AM
he's got the ability to exceed it, but if you set Elson's career as the benchmark right now for Pops, I'd bet the under. he's got a long way to go just to match that.

At least Francisco Elson could do something other than jump out of the gym.

What do you think Pops Crew -- is Harold Miner available to give the Spurs explosiveness on the wings, too?

m33p0
03-04-2009, 12:08 AM
if only the spurs' medical staff were successful in grafting oberto's brain unto elson's body.... :(

coyotes_geek
03-04-2009, 12:15 AM
no, no. others might sign him. if the spurs are already at the 15-man limit, somebody needs to be let go if the spurs want to keep Pops on the roster. the good news is, whoever that somebody is won't be eligible to play in the playoffs since march 1 has come and gone.

so question now is who do the spurs cut in favor of an unproven d-leaguer?

Maybe the Spurs are worried about that, maybe they're not. Personally I don't think they need to be, this isn't high school recruiting. If Gooden isn't going to be able to play for a while and if the Spurs feel they needed to hang on to Pops for another 10 days because of the games Duncan just missed then I'm sure they could explain that to Drew and he wouldn't have a problem with it, especially since it wouldn't be costing him any money. Once Drew is ready to go, Pops is out of here. He doesn't offer anything other than a healthy body. But if Drew isn't ready to go, hanging on to Pops for the time being is at least something to consider.

angelbelow
03-04-2009, 01:02 AM
hey poops, i know youre a big fan of poops but letting him rot with no playing time might not be the best for poops. he showcased himself and that he might be able to contribute but hes looking to get paid too. the world does not revolve around the spurs and he deserves to get some playing time and get paid if he truly deserves it. even if its not with us..

21GoSpursGo9
03-04-2009, 01:05 AM
How serious could this injury be? Will he need surgery? Can anyone give me an estimated guess?

MI21
03-04-2009, 01:10 AM
For fuck sake, the guy had a basic two hand dunk and a basic one hand putback dunk. It's not as if they were windmills or 360's or dunks right over people... Get over it already.

crc21209
03-04-2009, 01:19 AM
I think his injury is not that serious, because other, why would the Spurs want someone they wont get a good look at till playoffs? He has to be just beat up a little or not hurt at all, the Spurs know what theyre doing.

Austin_Toros
03-04-2009, 02:43 AM

Pops means more to spurs fans than just a couple of dunks.

Spursfan092120
03-04-2009, 02:46 AM
Pops means more to spurs fans than just a couple of dunks.

I agree 100%. It's an energy..a spark plug. I'm hoping that if we are sending him back to Austin for Gooden that Gooden can do the same. He's like our Mario Elie...some fire.

bigdog
03-04-2009, 02:47 AM
For fuck sake, the guy had a basic two hand dunk and a basic one hand putback dunk. It's not as if they were windmills or 360's or dunks right over people... Get over it already.

He did a windmill during pregame warmups.

I saw :hat

poop
03-04-2009, 12:58 PM

those are two things NO ONE in our frontline gives us (other than maybe tim)

he also, in extremely limited minutes- got to the line 3-4 times, hit his free throws, got more rebounds and blocks, exhibited extremely quick feet

these are things our oberto/bonner frontcourt does not give us in a full game

poop
03-04-2009, 01:02 PM
there's a 99.99999999% chance that Pops will be completely irrelevant to the Spurs' playoff success.

what exactly makes you say that?

so far the evidence is against you. many would argue that he would be far more effective against the bigs of LA, NO, and Boston than our present old, flat footed frontline would be. how can you possibly argue this?

rayray2k8
03-04-2009, 01:08 PM

he also, in extremely limited minutes- got to the line 3-4 times, hit his free throws, got more rebounds and blocks, exhibited extremely quick feet

So what if they dont finish strong? 2 points equals 2 points...
I bet you Pops would fold under pressure in the playoffs..

Get off his dick already, jesus christ. :rolleyes

urunobili
03-04-2009, 01:11 PM
another Gay thread? Gaytalk.com??

Spursmania
03-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Coach Poopovich is at it again... Are you Pops' agent in disguise?

ElNono
03-04-2009, 01:22 PM

If you just want to root for a team with a dunker, you need to become a Cavs fan. Unfortunately for you, the Spurs are simply boring and successful.

easy7
03-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Pop will poop on Pops.

poop
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
all last year we suffered and ultimately lost due to our need for athleticism and youth.

now here we finally have EXACTLY the type of inside player we need for the exact same situations as we faced last year and you guys are hellbent on waiving him in favor of...sticking with what we already found out doesnt work.

unfuckingbelievable.

m33p0
03-04-2009, 01:59 PM
yup. definitely smells like mrs purs.

K-State Spur
03-04-2009, 02:03 PM
what exactly makes you say that?

so far the evidence is against you. many would argue that he would be far more effective against the bigs of LA, NO, and Boston than our present old, flat footed frontline would be. how can you possibly argue this?

say what?

so far the evidence completely backs me. pops has barely been on the floor for the spurs this season, let alone played even a single meaningful stretch of minutes.

there's no reason to think that would change just because he's an athlete. even if gooden is out for the year, Pop is much more likely to go with Thomas and Oberto as his main bigs off the bench. IMHO - rightfully so.

rayray2k8
03-04-2009, 02:05 PM
all last year we suffered and ultimately lost due to our need for athleticism and youth.

now here we finally have EXACTLY the type of inside player we need for the exact same situations as we faced last year and you guys are hellbent on waiving him in favor of...sticking with what we already found out doesnt work.

unfuckingbelievable.

Hey genius, we didnt lose mainly because of that, we lost due to
the health of the team. Take a guess who that was?

K-State Spur
03-04-2009, 02:07 PM

not really. the '08 Celtics relied on an older core of players than the Spurs have right now. only Rondo was really youthful.

the Spurs lost because injured Manu played well below average Manu, and the Lakers role players knocked down shots while the Spurs role guys did not.

could the Spurs use a young athletic skilled player? sure, every team in the league could. but you don't throw a guy out there just because he's a better jumper.

lebomb
03-04-2009, 02:10 PM
I like pops

FromWayDowntown
03-04-2009, 02:13 PM
I watched Kareem Abdul Menash-Chamberlain get shoved around in the paint by a bunch of Cavaliers scrubs for the better part of a quarter and shuddered to think what would happen if he had to rebound quality bigs like LA's or Houston's or Utah's.

This notion that Pops Mensah-Bonsu, based on a handful of garbage time minutes, could even remotely prove helpful against something other than a garbage time lineup strikes me as wishful thinking at best; more likely, it's pure-on delusional.

poop
03-04-2009, 02:30 PM
not really. the '08 Celtics relied on an older core of players than the Spurs have right now. only Rondo was really youthful.

the Spurs lost because injured Manu played well below average Manu, and the Lakers role players knocked down shots while the Spurs role guys did not.

could the Spurs use a young athletic skilled player? sure, every team in the league could. but you don't throw a guy out there just because he's a better jumper.

the '08 celtics (and the current ones)were a hell of alot bigger, stronger, more aggressive, and more athletic than we were/are.

i really hope Gooden is NOT hurt and is able to play, and ill gladly concede he is preferable to POPS.

but considering the health risks of gooden (and Duncan for that matter), and our already deep selection of guys who can run the point, why on gods green earth would be drop a guy with huge potential like POPS instead of JV?

i just do not understand the stubborness of most of you people here.

Marcus Bryant
03-04-2009, 02:36 PM
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/9710/gunshotwoundiw0.jpg

Spursmania
03-04-2009, 02:41 PM
i really hope Gooden is NOT hurt and is able to play, and ill gladly concede he is preferable to POPS.FINALLY, coach POOPS understands why Popovich would actually favor Gooden over a d-leaguer like Pops. Hallejuia brother:toast

i just do not understand the stubborness of most of you people here. I guess, we're just idiots who just don't get it...:lmao

FromWayDowntown
03-04-2009, 02:41 PM
but considering the health risks of gooden (and Duncan for that matter), and our already deep selection of guys who can run the point, why on gods green earth would be drop a guy with huge potential like POPS instead of JV?

Beyond the real chances of either player helping the Spurs at playoff time -- and I'd still contend that Vaughn is more likely to do something useful than Mensah-Mikan -- the choice to keep JV over Pops is a matter of economic sense. If the Spurs jettison Vaughn, they have to pay his salary for the rest of the year AND pay the rest of the minimum to Pops. If they get rid of Pops instead of JV, they pay Vaughn his salary and pay Pops nothing.

And "huge potential"? Really? Because the guy can dunk?

degenerate_gambler
03-04-2009, 02:45 PM
And "huge potential"? Really? Because the guy can dunk?

Look at what James "Flight" White parlayed his dunking ability into...

Muser
03-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Spurs fans see a few dunks and think we've got the next Dwight Howard..

I'd take a possibly injured Gooden over Pops anyday, one impressive showing in garbage time against Clevelands scrubs does not make him a good player.

rayray2k8
03-04-2009, 03:05 PM
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/9710/gunshotwoundiw0.jpg

omg..
Who or what is that???

poop
03-04-2009, 03:14 PM
i give up. most of you guys are fucking morons

rayray2k8
03-04-2009, 03:23 PM
i give up. most of you guys think that I'm a fucking moron

Fixed and thank god!!!

Muser
03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
i give up. most of you guys are fucking morons

So i'm being moronic for thinking a D-League player who had a few dunks against scrubs is not the answer?

FromWayDowntown
03-04-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm still curious about what Pops' "huge potential" is.

Spursmania
03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm still curious about what Pops' "huge potential" is.

Ask Poops who apparently can do a better job at coaching the Spurs than Coach Popovich. :hat

rayray2k8
03-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Here you go poop..
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118718

Looks like the spurs front office are fucking morons too, huh?

Go root for the magic.. :rolleyes

meestahmeestah
03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
This notion that Pops Mensah-Bonsu, based on a handful of garbage time minutes, could even remotely prove helpful against something other than a garbage time lineup strikes me as wishful thinking at best; more likely, it's pure-on delusional.

Could I use this as my signature? Please? :toast