PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Free Agent Gooden, Spurs Reach Agreement

duncan228
03-04-2009, 04:26 AM
I couldn't decide where to put this. It's the first official Spurs associated piece since the small McDonald blurb this afternoon.

Please merge if it belongs somewhere else. :)

Free agent Gooden, Spurs reach agreement (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Free_agent_Gooden_Spurs_reach_agreement.html)
Mike Monroe

The Spurs have reached an agreement with free agent power forward Drew Gooden that will add the 6-foot-10 veteran to the team's roster by the end of the week.

Gooden, in his seventh NBA season, negotiated a buyout of his contract with the Sacramento Kings on Sunday night, in time to be eligible for any team's playoff roster this season.

Gooden can't officially sign with the Spurs until today, when the league verifies he has cleared waivers. Since they have 15 players on their roster, they will first have to create a spot, most likely by waiving Pops Mensah-Bonsu, who signed a 10-day contract last Wednesday.

Mensah-Bonsu was on the inactive list for Monday's game in Los Angeles against the Clippers.

Gooden has been hampered by injuries this season, playing in only 32 games, but in his most recent outing, on Feb. 25, he scored 12 points and had 13 rebounds for the Kings in 26 minutes against the Charlotte Bobcats.

Most recently, Gooden has battled a groin strain, and he left the game against the Bobcats after experiencing some discomfort. He did not play in Sacramento's next two games.

The Spurs have been trying to add a veteran big man for several weeks. In the final hours before the NBA's trade deadline on Feb. 19, they were close to a deal for Marcus Camby, but it could not be finalized.

In Gooden, the Spurs will get a proven inside player with playoff experience that includes the 2007 NBA Finals, when he was a starter for the Cleveland Cavaliers against the Spurs.

Gooden's experience playing for Cavs coach Mike Brown, a former assistant under Spurs coach Gregg Popovich who employs essentially the same defensive scheme, should give him an important advantage in making the transition.

After a standout college career at Kansas, Gooden was selected fourth overall in the 2002 draft by the Memphis Grizzlies. After one season, he was traded to Orlando. He was part of a multiple-player trade between the Magic and Cavaliers in July 2004, and remained with Cleveland for four seasons. The Cavaliers traded him to the Chicago Bulls in the deal that sent Ben Wallace to Cleveland in February 2008.

The Kings acquired him from Chicago two days before this season's trade deadline with the understanding they would try to negotiate a buyout of his contract. That was accomplished just in time for him to be eligible for another team's playoff roster.

Before sending his team out to play the Spurs on Monday night, Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said a Gooden signing would dramatically improve the Spurs for the playoffs.

“It gives them a bigger, better rebounder (than Matt Bonner),” Dunleavy said, “and a physical guy, so they can mix and match, based on who they're playing, a little bit better for sure.”

Spursfan092120
03-04-2009, 04:41 AM
I dig it...now lets get him healthy and on the court.

porscha
03-04-2009, 04:53 AM
:depressed

Mr. Body
03-04-2009, 04:54 AM
He may be a dingbat, but people genuinely like him.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-04-2009, 04:59 AM
Good shit.

I like it. Not because it's the best we could do, but it's better than what we were doing.

Spursfan092120
03-04-2009, 05:00 AM
Good shit.

I like it. Not because it's the best we could do, but it's better than what we were doing.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

boutons_
03-04-2009, 06:32 AM
groin strain? hernia?

bigdog
03-04-2009, 06:39 AM
If he's healthy, badass. If not, let him rest and get healthy. No matter what his defensive capabilities are, he's a good offensive rebounder, and a good rebounder in general. Also has a decent midrange game, and he should help out the Spurs alot.

BlackSwordsMan
03-04-2009, 07:24 AM
duncan better not slip and lose his starting mins

SuperManu!!!
03-04-2009, 07:38 AM
We should keep Pops and waive Vaughn

urunobili
03-04-2009, 08:06 AM
what a gr8 way to begin the day!!! I am liking our chances a notch more now if everybody gets there healthy enough... :tu

Doug Collins
03-04-2009, 08:08 AM
I hope they negotiated a facial hair clause into his contract.

completely deck
03-04-2009, 08:26 AM
duncan better not slip and lose his starting mins

ahhhaah.

ahahahahah.

aaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha :lol

MannyIsGod
03-04-2009, 08:56 AM
I really have despised him in the past and I hate how he plays defense but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully he can come in and work in a proven system as a role player.

I hope Drew Gooden does fantastically well as a Spur.

Trainwreck2100
03-04-2009, 08:58 AM
i hope he doesn't have an idiotic scalp mustache like he did in 07

raspsa
03-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Doesn't mean a thing if manu isn't healthy.

Bulwark
03-04-2009, 09:18 AM
groin strain? hernia?

Yeah, hope he's healthy.

hater
03-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I don't give a shit if he transplants his pubic hair to his face. As long as he gives us a double double every night.

I. Hustle
03-04-2009, 09:49 AM
The badass part is we didn't have to trade to get him!

Dex
03-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Can we go ahead and skip past the "Pops is gone" meltdown?

SenorSpur
03-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I've not heard or read about any issues with his attitude. If one can take issue with anything, it could be his eccentric style of facial hair. :lol

dbestpro
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
He may be a dingbat, but people genuinely like him.

Hey, watch the name calling. He may be a dingbat, but he's our dingbat, now.

Spursmania
03-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Bring on the Gooden-The "Big Drizzle"

Steve-O-Matic
03-04-2009, 10:43 AM
I've not heard or read about any issues with his attitude. If one can take issue with anything, it could be his eccentric style of facial hair. :lol

His tricked up facial hair is gone. There are pics of him on his ESPN player page from the his last game with the Kings and he has a normal (close-cut) goatee now with a clean shaved head.

nkdlunch
03-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Spurs got a balla?? wow

http://api.ning.com/files/0txgB9E*9ou2qZbz0REwOLO-q*WxyY9BIwW-d2yW58Y_/drew_gooden.jpg

SenorSpur
03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
His tricked up facial hair is gone. There are pics of him on his ESPN player page from the his last game with the Kings and he has a normal (close-cut) goatee now with a clean shaved head.

Sounds and looks good. Now we can simply call him D-Smooth :lol

Kent_in_Atlanta
03-04-2009, 02:10 PM
It pains me to hear that we were close to getting Camby and couldn't get him. Camby would have unquestionably made a (healthy) Spurs team the best in the NBA.

But if the big 3 is healthy, I think Gooden at least puts the Spurs on the level with LA.

traitoravery
03-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Bynum-Thomas
Pau-Duncan
Odom-Gooden

Thompson
03-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Bynum-Thomas
Pau-Duncan
Odom-Gooden

Bynum can shoot over Thomas too easily. I know it's extremely unlikely, but I wish Ian would finally get healthy and that his time on the Toros would let him integrate into the team quickly so that we could use him in the playoffs. He's taller and more athletic than Thomas.

PDXSpursFan
03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Bynum can shoot over Thomas too easily. I know it's extremely unlikely, but I wish Ian would finally get healthy and that his time on the Toros would let him integrate into the team quickly so that we could use him in the playoffs. He's taller and more athletic than Thomas.
Even if Ian is 100% healthy today, he'll not see a single minute of PT during the playoff (other than garbage time). He's a rookie. Pop will not trust him.

Thompson
03-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Even if Ian is 100% healthy today, he'll not see a single minute of PT during the playoff (other than garbage time). He's a rookie. Pop will not trust him.

If Kurt has problems with Bynum, Pop may have no choice but to try Ian.