PDA

View Full Version : Woman calls 911 after McDonald's runs out of nuggets

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Woman has 911 meltdown over McNuggets
Fla. police say she called emergency number 3 times after store runs out

updated 8:19 p.m. CT, Tues., March. 3, 2009
FORT PIERCE, Fla. - Authorities say a Florida woman called 911 three times after McDonald's employees told her they were out of Chicken McNuggets.

A police report says 27-year-old Fort Pierce resident Latreasa L. Goodman told authorities she paid for a 10-piece last week but was later informed the restaurant had run out.

She says she was refused a refund and told all sales were final. A cashier told police she offered Goodman a larger portion of different food for the same price, but Goodman became irate.

"This is an emergency. If I would have known they didn't have McNuggets, I wouldn’t have given my money, and now she wants to give me a McDouble, but I don’t want one," Goodman told police, according to The Stuart News. "This is an emergency."

Police say Goodman was cited on a misuse of 911 charge. A current phone listing for Goodman couldn't be found.

A McDonald's spokesman says Goodman should have been given a refund, and she's being sent a gift card for a free meal.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29498350/from/ET/?gt1=43001

manufor3
03-04-2009, 07:51 AM
:lmao

TDMVPDPOY
03-04-2009, 07:55 AM
someone shouldve punch that lady in the face a couple of times for her stupidity and wasting a public service call that could mean alot to someone who couldnt get into contact cause some hoe was buzy dialing in about a mcnugget......

Trainwreck2100
03-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Latreasa L. Goodman

I surprised she didnt ask for Barrack Obama to send chicken nuggets

SpursStalker
03-04-2009, 09:06 AM
I heard this on the radio this morning ...

:lol

Dark Gable
03-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Sometimes you just have to have them nuggets!!

MiamiHeat
03-04-2009, 09:23 AM
this call isn't about nuggets.

it's about a refund.

She didn't call 911 because they ran out of nuggets. She called 911 because the cashier wouldn't give her a refund. She paid for McNuggets, later they say they don't have any, she wants her money back, they don't give it back.

Dark Gable
03-04-2009, 09:42 AM

it's about a refund.

She didn't call 911 because they ran out of nuggets. She called 911 because the cashier wouldn't give her a refund. She paid for McNuggets, later they say they don't have any, she wants her money back, they don't give it back.

Wrong dude, she could have had other food but she had to, just simply had to have them nuggets!!! That was the emergency!!

Blake
03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Calling 9-11 over some mcnuggets is friggin silly

Now if they had run out of $1 sausage biscuits and hash browns.....

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 09:48 AM
This is not a 911 worthy emergency, obviously, but it is really terrible customer service.

MiamiHeat
03-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Calling 9-11 over some mcnuggets is friggin silly

she called because she wasn't given a refund

she didn't call because they had no mcnuggets

she called because they wouldn't give her a refund because she didn't want to eat at mcdonalds if they didn't have mcnuggets

Give her damn money back so she can go eat somewhere else. She went there to eat some mcnuggets, they don't have any, give the money back. don't force her to spend her money there.

to21
03-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Audio:

http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_audio/030309_mcnuggets_2_1-2.mp3

Blake
03-04-2009, 09:57 AM

she called because they wouldn't give her a refund because she didn't want to eat at mcdonalds if they didn't have mcnuggets

Give her damn money back so she can go eat somewhere else. She went there to eat some mcnuggets, they don't have any, give the money back. don't force her to spend her money there.

I got it the first mctime.

McD's realized it too and gave her the Mcgift card.

Das Texan
03-04-2009, 10:00 AM
I swear people get dumber with each passing day.

peewee's lovechild
03-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Is she a UTSA grad?

SpursStalker
03-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I got it the first mctime.

McD's realized it too and gave her the Mcgift card.

Blake did you take the last of the nuggets?

*wink*

NFO
03-04-2009, 11:28 AM

Do they have any cliffs near the Mickey D's where you get the $1 sausage biscuits and hash browns?

:bking

bdictjames
03-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Im sorry if this offends anybody, but some Americans sure are fat and dumb.

JudynTX
03-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Do they have any cliffs near the Mickey D's where you get the $1 sausage biscuits and hash browns?

:frying: Hello there!

desflood
03-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Quick, somebody call the cop who put the beatdown on the 15-year-old. This lady should have gotten it instead.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Im sorry if this offends anybody, but some Americans sure are fat and dumb.

I'm offended . . . by your choice of the word "some".

Blake
03-04-2009, 11:39 AM

sorry, but I won't assist you in your suicide attempts.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-04-2009, 11:49 AM
In a perfect world, 911 dispatchers would get to set up call blocking. You do something this stupid, you don't get to call 911 next time you get robbed or shot.

angel_luv
03-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Cravings are a terrible thing. :lol

I agree that McDonalds should have refunded her money.

I don't think enough people are taught to memorize, along with 911, the non- emergency phone number for the police.
I know I don't know it off hand.

I think increased instruction and awareness of the non -emergency number and its proper use would help eliminate some of the misdirected calls that 911 gets.

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Audio:

http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_audio/030309_mcnuggets_2_1-2.mp3

"She say she are the manager."

Holy crap she called three times?? And the first and third dispatchers sent an officer?

03-04-2009, 11:52 AM
By my count, there are five stupid people associated with this story. Caller, cashier and the three supervisors who agreed with the cashier.

Sounds about right.

Bigzax
03-04-2009, 11:58 AM
don't got da nuggetz, don't sell da nuggetz!

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 12:02 PM
You know, the more I think about it, the thing is she did get robbed. You can't sell something and then try to give the customer something else after collecting the money. I wouldn't personally get the police involved, but I don't think it's completely unreasonable to do so... especially depending on what this woman's financial situation was. Sure she could have contacted the BBB, but that would have taken some time, and who knows if she even knew that was an option?

So given that she felt it was a police issue, she contacted the police in a way many people do in non-emergency situations... she called 911. How many people really know the number to their local police dept for non-emergencies? Anyway, two of the dispatchers apparently felt it was worth sending an officer.

angel_luv
03-04-2009, 12:03 PM
:tu

SA210
03-04-2009, 12:04 PM

sonic21
03-04-2009, 12:06 PM
:wow

:lmao

resistanze
03-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Yeah the headline is very misleading. It's a lot less funny/outrageous once you read the whole article.

ploto
03-04-2009, 12:18 PM
You know, the more I think about it, the thing is she did get robbed. You can't sell something and then try to give the customer something else after collecting the money. I wouldn't personally get the police involved, but I don't think it's completely unreasonable to do so... especially depending on what this woman's financial situation was. Sure she could have contacted the BBB, but that would have taken some time, and who knows if she even knew that was an option?

So given that she felt it was a police issue, she contacted the police in a way many people do in non-emergency situations... she called 911. How many people really know the number to their local police dept for non-emergencies? Anyway, two of the dispatchers apparently felt it was worth sending an officer.

That is about what I was going to post. She basically had money stolen from her. She purchased something and they discovered that they did not have it. They should have given her money back to her- she does not have to accept a different item from the one she purchased. It OBVIOUSLY did not warrant a 911 call, but I have no problem with her contacting the police.

Blake
03-04-2009, 12:21 PM

It's not an emergency situation. Ignorance of the police non-emergency phone number is not a good excuse to tie up the actual emergency line for something like this.

mrsmaalox
03-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I think people should call the cops if they recieve McNuggets :vomit:

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 12:26 PM
It's not an emergency situation. Ignorance of the police non-emergency phone number is not a good excuse to tie up the actual emergency line for something like this.

The operators could have easily transfered her to the appropriate police contact. I don't like that she called three times, but maybe the officer promised in the first call didn't show up.

Thing is, there wouldn't be a thread about this if someone called 911 after being robbed of $5 on the street.

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
And anyone who has worked as a 911 operator feel free to correct me but I doubt anyone was having to be kept on hold while the operators dealt with this woman.

mrsmaalox
03-04-2009, 12:32 PM
The operators could have easily transfered her to the appropriate police contact. I don't like that she called three times, but maybe the officer promised in the first call didn't show up.

Thing is, there wouldn't be a thread about this if someone called 911 after being robbed of $5 on the street.

But the difference is that being robbed on the street involves an element of terrorist-like intimidation; and while I agree that Mc Donald's is terrifying it's not the same thing. You are correct that the dispatcher could have redirected the the call to the proper place.

angel_luv
03-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Why are you dissing McDonalds, Mrs. M?

:(

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 12:35 PM
But the difference is that being robbed on the street involves an element of terrorist-like intimidation

Eh, being robbed in a McDonald's involves an element of corporate strength and control over helpless consumers. Tomato, tomahto.

JoeChalupa
03-04-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm going to grab me a 50 count bucket on the way home and God help them if they run out!!

mrsmaalox
03-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Why are you dissing McDonalds, Mrs. M?

:(

Mc Donald's lost it's charm 3 kids ago ;)

desflood
03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
helpless consumers.
No such thing here. Nobody is forced to buy from McD's.

Blake
03-04-2009, 12:42 PM

This woman handed her money over to the clerk. The clerk did not jump over the counter and take the money out of her purse.

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 12:42 PM
No such thing here. Nobody is forced to buy from McD's.

This woman handed her money over to the clerk. The clerk did not jump over the counter and take the money out of her purse.

Are you really suggesting that retailers and restaurants should be able to offer something, take your money, then require that you accept something else without refund?

She was deceived into giving her money to McDonald's. That's robbery.

JoeChalupa
03-04-2009, 12:43 PM
And I'd better got all my damn sauces!! Not not 8, not 9 but my full 10!!!

JudynTX
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
And I'd better got all my damn sauces!! Not not 8, not 9 but my full 10!!!

WTF? You get 10 sauces with 50 nuggets? :lol

Blake
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
And anyone who has worked as a 911 operator feel free to correct me but I doubt anyone was having to be kept on hold while the operators dealt with this woman.

honestly, you have never heard of someone that has had to wait for a 911 operator after they dialed?

There is a reason that they fine you for needlessly dialing 911.

angel_luv
03-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Mc Donald's lost it's charm 3 kids ago ;)

You could always treat me to McDonalds and reminice. :)

Blake
03-04-2009, 12:46 PM
WTF? You get 10 sauces with 50 nuggets? :lol

they actually have a chart on the drive thru window that tells you how many sauces you get based on the number of mcnugs you buy....

I noticed it this morning.

Blake
03-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Are you really suggesting that retailers and restaurants should be able to offer something, take your money, then require that you accept something else without refund?

No, I'm suggesting that it is not an emergency situation that requires a call to 911.

JudynTX
03-04-2009, 12:48 PM
they actually have a chart on the drive thru window that tells you how many sauces you get based on the number of mcnugs you buy....

I noticed it this morning.

Get outta here! :lmao

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 12:49 PM
honestly, you have never heard of someone that has had to wait for a 911 operator after they dialed?

There is a reason that they fine you for needlessly dialing 911.

Yeah those fines need to be in place to prevent gross misuse. But again, the operators should have transfered her. There is a flaw in the 911 system if people can't get through to an operator because of non-emergency calls. How hard would it be to put this woman on hold while you answer another incoming call?

mrsmaalox
03-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Oh you know nobody's suggesting that!!! We are just pointing out that there is a difference in the level of terror tactics involved in forcibly taking money from someone on the street, and a "bait and switch" as this seems to be! :)

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
No, I'm suggesting that it is not an emergency situation that requires a call to 911.

And I agree. But it's not exactly thread worthy... It happens all the time.

The reason this is in the news is because we like to laugh at how pathetic and dumb this woman is for wanting shitty food so bad. This wouldn't even be in the news if it was a McDonald's salad.

But by all means, let's shit on this stupid lady for being desperate enough to react irrationally to having her dinner money taken from her.

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Oh you know nobody's suggesting that!!! We are just pointing out that there is a difference in the level of terror tactics involved in forcibly taking money from someone on the street, and a "bait and switch" as this seems to be! :)

Okay, say she gives some guy on the street $5 because he promises her a card trick, and he runs off. She calls 911. Newsworthy or not?

Blake
03-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Yeah those fines need to be in place to prevent gross misuse. But again, the operators should have transfered her. There is a flaw in the 911 system if people can't get through to an operator because of non-emergency calls. How hard would it be to put this woman on hold while you answer another incoming call?

She called 3 times. Did the police go out all 3 times?

Do you have a transcript of the 911 calls so that we can know exactly why the police were sent out?

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 01:00 PM
There's audio of the calls on page 1. The second operator seemed to hang up on her, but the first and third operators took her info and sent an officer out. Like I said before, who knows if the first officer even got there. I'm just not in a hurry to lay all of the blame on her when this whole situation could have been prevented by both the McDonald's employees and the 911 operators.

SAGambler
03-04-2009, 01:01 PM

it's about a refund.

While all that is true, it still doesn't rate a 911 call. Geez, I guess some people are just too stupid to live.

Blake
03-04-2009, 01:04 PM

The reason this is in the news is because we like to laugh at how pathetic and dumb this woman is for wanting shitty food so bad. This wouldn't even be in the news if it was a McDonald's salad.

But by all means, let's shit on this stupid lady for being desperate enough to react irrationally to having her dinner money taken from her.

I don't know why she got desperate enough to react irrationally. Maybe that was her last $5. It still doesn't excuse her for misuse of dialing 911.

mrsmaalox
03-04-2009, 01:04 PM

You're absolutely correct. The news media is sensationalizing the story, making the woman out to be the culprit for demanding her due rights as a consumer. The Mc Donald's staff is just plain ate up with the stupid (as Mc's corporate office proves by backing the customer). But I do think the worst transgression was on the side of the 9-11 dispatcher. I can't believe we pay people to not be able to distinguish a total non-emergency from a life threatening one! That's where the danger lies.

Blake
03-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Okay, say she gives some guy on the street $5 because he promises her a card trick, and he runs off. She calls 911. Newsworthy or not?

no because McDonald's is not involved.

If this same event transpired in a local Mexican food joint, MSNBC would not be running it.

..and if she calls 911 for getting burned on a card trick, she is misusing 911.

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I don't know why she got desperate enough to react irrationally. Maybe that was her last $5. It still doesn't excuse her for misuse of dialing 911.

The Emergency Services system is run by much smarter people than the average McDonald's customer. It's pretty fucked up if there's no way to deprioritize non-emergency calls while other emergency calls are waiting.

Blake
03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
There's audio of the calls on page 1. The second operator seemed to hang up on her, but the first and third operators took her info and sent an officer out. Like I said before, who knows if the first officer even got there. I'm just not in a hurry to lay all of the blame on her when this whole situation could have been prevented by both the McDonald's employees and the 911 operators.

There's blame all the way around.

Too bad she is the one that got the citation for misusing 911 by calling it 3 times over not getting a $5 refund immediately.

Blake
03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
The Emergency Services system is run by much smarter people than the average McDonald's customer. It's pretty fucked up if there's no way to deprioritize non-emergency calls while other emergency calls are waiting.

I guess ES employees are smarter than I am by that logic.

Do you have a transcript of what the lady said exactly?

Dex
03-04-2009, 01:23 PM
I wonder if all this is worth the $5?

jack sommerset
03-04-2009, 01:24 PM
3 times she called 911:lmao

I wonder if anyone can convince her this was not an emergency.

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Here's another hypothetical to consider. Say this lady gets her McNuggets and leaves without paying. The CSR at McDonald's calls 911.

Newsworthy?

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Do you have a transcript of what the lady said exactly?

No, but I listened to the audio. I'm not sure why the transcript is important. It didn't sound like she mislead the operators into thinking it was more of a crisis than it actually was.

Bender
03-04-2009, 01:30 PM
I swear people get dumber with each passing day.
and they vote...

jack sommerset
03-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Here's another hypothetical to consider. Say this lady gets her McNuggets and leaves without paying. The CSR at McDonald's calls 911.

Newsworthy?

Good point. People need to use common sense when calling 911. If the CSR called 911 over chicken nuggets that would be stupid as well. I'm thinking McDonalds has a list of numbers to call. They can call the police not 911 and make out a report.

jack sommerset
03-04-2009, 01:32 PM
and they vote...

and they have kids

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM

Newsworthy?

Hell, I doubt that would even be considered FINE-worthy.

Blake
03-04-2009, 01:35 PM

Newsworthy?

I thought you had to pay first before getting your food.

Not newsworthy.

jack sommerset
03-04-2009, 01:37 PM

Not newsworthy.

Thats true

Blake
03-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Hell, I doubt that would even be considered FINE-worthy.

It's technically theft.

However, if the clerk were to give the customer an extra $5 in change and the CSR asked for it back to which the customer said 'no', leading to the CSR dialing 911, then unless there is the possibility of a disturbance, that would not be 911 worthy either.

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I just don't think we should be so quick to apologize for a system that results in a woman being fined and subjected to national embarrassment over calling 911 for the wrong reason.

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 01:39 PM

Not newsworthy.

For the sake of the hypothetical, she didn't. If you prefer, substitute Chili's for McDonald's.

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 01:40 PM
It's technically theft.

But what I mean is, would the CSR/manager be fined for misusing 911 after having $5 of food stolen?

Blake
03-04-2009, 01:41 PM
I just don't think we should be so quick to apologize for a system that results in a woman being fined and subjected to national embarrassment over calling 911 for the wrong reason.

I dont think you should be so quick to crap on the operators for dealing with an irate woman dialing 3 times to 911 claiming she has an emergency.

Transcript? I cant get the audio here at work.

Blake
03-04-2009, 01:42 PM
But what I mean is, would the CSR/manager be fined for misusing 911 after having $5 of food stolen?

if they call 3 times for $5 being stolen. Yes, they should be fined.

Oh, Gee!!
03-04-2009, 01:44 PM
sounds like a case for small claims court, not for 911.

jack sommerset
03-04-2009, 01:48 PM

Why didn't 911 say "This is not an emergency, you should come down to the police station and file a report and here is that number"

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 01:53 PM
I dont think you should be so quick to crap on the operators for dealing with an irate woman dialing 3 times to 911 claiming she has an emergency.

Well, I'm certainly not saying they should be fined and subjected to national humiliation. I give them equal culpability to the irate woman, and all that's warranted for any of them is a stern explanation by the proper authorities on how to better approach this situation next time.

03-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Is it unpossible for the dispatchers to redirect her call to a local precinct?

CuckingFunt
03-04-2009, 03:33 PM

Dammit. You're taking away all of my reasons to post in this thread.

CuckingFunt
03-04-2009, 03:50 PM

It's foolish to assume that all people are educated as to all of their possible options or avenues of legal recourse. She (rightly) felt she had been robbed, wanted to get the police involved (again, rightly), and dialed 911.

You and I and everyone in this thread may know that McNugget theft is not an emergency, but you're crazy if you think that everyone walking down the street knows offhand the alternate methods for contacting the authorities. For as long as I've been alive it has been presented that 911 = police.

Furthermore, it is also foolish to ignore the racial and socio-economic factors that may be involved. Many of us who live in good neighborhoods can count on calling the police, 911 or local precinct, and having a fairly speedy response. If this was in a neighborhood in which people have become accustomed to slow responses or having their problems ignored (and you're naive as hell if you don't think it takes cops longer to get to the hood than to the suburbs), I can somewhat understand the frustration that would lead to multiple calls. Especially if the second dispacher hung up on her. No matter how frivolous the complaint, it's not a good feeling to not be taken seriously, and if the 911 system doesn't have a method for politely and efficiently rerouting/addressing non-emergency calls, there's a problem with that system.

But, fuck all that. Let's just laugh at the McNuggets rage instead.

Blake
03-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Why didn't 911 say "This is not an emergency, you should come down to the police station and file a report and here is that number"

If a person calling 911 says "I have an emergency, I need a police officer right away", then exactly who is the 911 operator that they can determine by phone what is and what isn't an emergency?

If they make the decision that something isn't really an emergency and kick it over to the non-emergency line, then that something really does turn out to be an emergency, then they can pretty much kiss their job goodbye.

It's better to go ahead and request an officer be sent out to err on the side of caution. If at that point the officer deems it to be a reckless use of 911, then he can be the one to make that determination.

It's why 911 operators aren't the ones issuing citations for reckless use of 911.

mrsmaalox
03-04-2009, 03:57 PM
If a person calling 911 says "I have an emergency, I need a police officer right away", then exactly who is the 911 operator that they can determine by phone what is and what isn't an emergency?

If they make the decision that something isn't really an emergency and kick it over to the non-emergency line, then that something really does turn out to be an emergency, then they can pretty much kiss their job goodbye.

It's better to go ahead and request an officer be sent out to err on the side of caution. If at that point the officer deems it to be a reckless use of 911, then he can be the one to make that determination.

It's why 911 operators aren't the ones issuing citations for reckless use of 911.

Well screening the calls is part of the dispatcher's job, that's why they ask questions. Otherwise why not just have an answering machine? If they dispatcher screws up and someone dies because of their mistake, they're toast. Just like doctors, nurses, cops are held accountable.

Blake
03-04-2009, 04:00 PM
For as long as I've been alive it has been presented that 911 = police.

For as long as I have been alive 911 = emergencies.

I don't know anyone that calls 911 three times for a minor fender bender, even though they need a police officer asap.

Furthermore, it is also foolish to ignore the racial and socio-economic factors that may be involved. Many of us who live in good neighborhoods can count on calling the police, 911 or local precinct, and having a fairly speedy response. If this was in a neighborhood in which people have become accustomed to slow responses or having their problems ignored (and you're naive as hell if you don't think it takes cops longer to get to the hood than to the suburbs), I can somewhat understand the frustration that would lead to multiple calls. Especially if the second dispacher hung up on her. No matter how frivolous the complaint, it's not a good feeling to not be taken seriously, and if the 911 system doesn't have a method for politely and efficiently rerouting/addressing non-emergency calls, there's a problem with that system.

Transcript anyone?

But, fuck all that. Let's just laugh at the McNuggets rage instead.

She got a citation that will end up most likely costing her more than the $5, even if her ticket ends up getting dismissed.

what's not funny about that?

Blake
03-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Well screening the calls is part of the dispatcher's job, that's why they ask questions. Otherwise why not just have an answering machine? If they dispatcher screws up and someone dies because of their mistake, they're toast. Just like doctors, nurses, cops are held accountable.

They also screen to determine who exactly should be called out on the scene, i.e. fire or ambulance.

And 2 of the 3 dispatchers thought it was worth sending an officer out to cover their asses.

Without a transcript of the conversation(s) though, this is all just speculation, but I'm guessing the way she was talking, she was really making it sound like she had something of an emergency.

Obstructed_View
03-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Sorry, but I agree with the lady that called, even though she shouldn't have called 911. I'd be completely forgiving about the situation if she had only called once, though. Getting baited and switched would piss me off, too. She's entitled to have somebody take her side in an argument like that where she's clearly in the right. That the system exists where police are difficult to contact outside of emergency channels is unfortunate, but she had every right to feel cheated, and whoever made the decision not to give her a refund clearly has no understanding of how business works.

If she decided to legally go after McDonalds just on general principle I'd be on her side. She's already been subject to so much ridicule by the world that she'd probably be better off trying to let it go. People who write misleading headlines and sensationalize stories like this should be ashamed of themselves.

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 04:38 PM
They also screen to determine who exactly should be called out on the scene, i.e. fire or ambulance.

And 2 of the 3 dispatchers thought it was worth sending an officer out to cover their asses.

Without a transcript of the conversation(s) though, this is all just speculation, but I'm guessing the way she was talking, she was really making it sound like she had something of an emergency.

She explained herself pretty calmly, really. She wasn't screaming and she was easy to understand.

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 04:39 PM
She's already been subject to so much ridicule by the world that she'd probably be better off trying to let it go. People who write misleading headlines and sensationalize stories like this should be ashamed of themselves.

MSNBC has the story covered with full video of Joe Scarbrough and his buddies getting a good laugh at her expense, mug shot and all.

Blake
03-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Latreasa L. Goodman, 27, made the calls after she tried to get her money back from a Fort Pierce McDonald's and the cashier told her all sales were final. Police released the 911 tapes.

"This is an emergency. If I would have known they didn't have McNuggets, I wouldn't have given my money, and now she wants to give me a McDouble, but I don't want one," police quoted her as saying. "This is an emergency."

The cashier suggested she choose something else off the menu of equal value to the McNuggets, and offered the restaurant's cheeseburger called the McDouble.

"She's trying to force me to eat something off the menu and I don't want it," Goodman told 911.

The first dispatcher, a woman, asks if there's a manager there, but listens to Goodman's complaints and says she's sending someone.

The second, male dispatcher tells her he's aware of the incident and "we've got an officer coming out there to talk to you."

Police say Goodman was cited on a misuse of 911 charge. A current phone listing for Goodman couldn't be found.

A McDonald's spokesman said Goodman should have been given a refund, and she's being sent a gift card for a free meal.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,504125,00.html

Dispatchers for 911 told police Goodman called the emergency number three times and on each occasion was told an officer was en route.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/mar/03/told-mcnuggets-ran-out-fort-pierce-woman-calls-911/

ok, so basically the 2nd operator didn't just hang up on her. He explained to her that he is aware of the call and that there is already an officer coming.

It appears that it was the 3rd call that got her the citation.

Just one call to 911 over this situation probably would not have gotten her a ticket and she probably would have avoided the national humiliation.

jack sommerset
03-04-2009, 05:25 PM

But she told the operator it was over chicken nuggets. :lol Then she called back, then back for a 3rd time. Common sense brother says THIS IS NOT AN EMERGENCY

pkbpkb81
03-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Is she a UTSA grad?

:lmao:blah

Blake
03-04-2009, 05:30 PM
But she told the operator it was over chicken nuggets. :lol Then she called back, then back for a 3rd time. Common sense brother says THIS IS NOT AN EMERGENCY

No, she said they were not giving her money back and that this was an emergency.

jack sommerset
03-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Dude she said she ordered a 10 piece chicken nuggets with a small fry........... That was one of the first words out of her mouth.

Blake
03-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Dude she said she ordered a 10 piece chicken nuggets with a small fry........... That was one of the first words out of her mouth.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

I think anyone can gather that she called 911 because they weren't giving her a refund......not because they weren't giving her the nuggets.

If you think she called because she wanted an officer to come over and force them to give her the mcnugs, then there's not really much to discuss with you.

jack sommerset
03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Listen to the first 20 seconds. She says "police" then states her emergency (still funny) She says she ordered a 10 piece mcnugget and frys and they ran out of nuggets and wanted a mcdouble but they would not refund the difference then she says she wants all her money back and they would not give it to her so she called 911. Lame. She deserves the ticket, the 911 operator should have said 5 bucks worth of nuggets is not a emergency. If you don't get this thats cool.

Red Hawk #21
03-04-2009, 06:20 PM
McDonalds should have given her a refund.

MiamiHeat
03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
The woman is guilty of not knowing the non-emergency police phone number. That's it. She should not have called 911.

She needs to learn it. IN fact, I used to know it but now I forgot. We all should learn it. Should be a national campaign to educate the nation about the 'other' police number.

manufor3
03-04-2009, 07:40 PM
listen to the first 20 seconds. She says "police" then states her emergency (still funny) she says she ordered a 10 piece mcnugget and frys and they ran out of nuggets and wanted a mcdouble but they would not refund the difference then she says she wants all her money back and they would not give it to her so she called 911. Lame. She deserves the ticket, the 911 operator should have said 5 bucks worth of nuggets is not a emergency. If you don't get this thats cool.

+1

mookie2001
03-04-2009, 07:44 PM
one time Laynes ran out of sauce so i had to let my gat hum

Spurtacus
03-04-2009, 11:14 PM
McDonald's robbed this woman. LOL.

Avitus1
03-05-2009, 01:00 AM
The DJ on the radio played the call this morning. It was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. The nuggets aren't even that good.

Blake
03-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Listen to the first 20 seconds. She says "police" then states her emergency (still funny) She says she ordered a 10 piece mcnugget and frys and they ran out of nuggets and wanted a mcdouble but they would not refund the difference then she says she wants all her money back and they would not give it to her so she called 911. Lame. She deserves the ticket, the 911 operator should have said 5 bucks worth of nuggets is not a emergency. If you don't get this thats cool.

Even if the operator explains it's not an emergency, if the person demands a cop be sent, it is really not on the 911 operator to tell them "no."

If on the scene the cop decides it was a non-emergency, he can then issue a citation for misusing 911.

It's not terribly uncommon, so don't crap on the 911 operator or the 'system' for dispatching the officer

JudynTX
03-05-2009, 09:17 AM
This story made it onto Keith Olbermann's show. :lol

mrsmaalox
03-05-2009, 10:18 AM
This story made it onto Keith Olbermann's show. :lol

Crap and I missed it! Did he get all worked up and start spitting all over the place? LOL

JudynTX
03-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Crap and I missed it! Did he get all worked up and start spitting all over the place? LOL

He was animated alright. :lol

Spurminator
03-05-2009, 10:39 AM
This is not the kind of story I would have expected MSNBC to hype up... Their rival, perhaps.