PDA

View Full Version : Lockbeard's Thought of the Day: The Political One-Sided War

LockBeard
03-04-2009, 11:15 AM
I've been thinking about how ridiculous this Rush thing is and how it easily gets twisted by the Obama Press Secretaries, CNN/MSNBC/ABC/CBS/NBC/blahblahblah.

There is a political war going on right now. One that will determine America's slide into the pits of Government Control, lower standard of living, transformed nation, etc. The conservatives have the right principles of self-liberty, hard work, personal responsibility, and so on to win in the long run as these are the only true American values that keep the gears turning. However, the politicians are horrible at communicating to the people, especially my generation.

This is the number one reason they are losing at the moment. They really fucked up by laughing Ron Paul off the stage. Why? Because unlike these out of touch morons in the GOP, he actually communicated many true conservative/libertarian ideas to the younger generation. HE GOT THE YOUTH TO BECOME INTERESTED AND SUPPORTIVE BEHIND FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY!

The GOP politicians are all horrible at communicating the truth enough to break through this disturbing far-left brainwashing.

Until they can overcome this, they will never succeed.

clambake
03-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I've been thinking about how ridiculous this Rush thing is and how it easily gets twisted by the Obama Press Secretaries, CNN/MSNBC/ABC/CBS/NBC/blahblahblah.

The conservatives have the right principles of self-liberty, hard work, personal responsibility, and so on

:lmao

RandomGuy
03-04-2009, 11:40 AM
The conservatives have the right principles of self-liberty, hard work, personal responsibility, and so on

Those sound more like traditional liberal values to me.

Modern conservatism seems to be more interested in some confused moralistic crusade against homosexuals, and gub'mint revenoo'ers than those particular things.

I didn't hear too many conservatives complaining about warrantless wiretaps, or the other things that went into the Patriot Act that more directly eroded individual liberty than anything any liberal ever did.

You would also be hard pressed to find a liberal that speaks out against hard work and personal responsibility. Ask any real "liberal" if about that and they will say those are liberal values as well.

That right there is the ultimate achilles heel to your whole supposition/implication that those are "conservative" and not liberal values.

To anybody neutral or mildly interested listening to this exchange, that sounds like you are trying to actively lie about liberals actually believe.

Strawman attacks that involve gross distortions of another person's views are for that reason ultimately self-defeating. Yet you and other "conservatives" keep up with exactly those kinds of attacks on a consistent basis, and then are bewildered when people don't trust you anymore.

What passes for modern conservatism for this reason, seems to lack the ability to articlulate anything approaching a coherent message.

doobs
03-04-2009, 11:44 AM
You only have one thought a day?

Winehole23
03-04-2009, 11:56 AM
You only have one thought a day?Usually, he doesn't even have that many.

Winehole23
03-04-2009, 11:58 AM
I endorse his emphasis on fiscal responsibility, but in the current fiscal year it would be mistimed. Our economy is contracting severely.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-04-2009, 12:02 PM
I endorse his emphasis on fiscal responsibility, but in the current fiscal year it would be mistimed. Our economy is contracting severely.

Which makes Obama's spending spree seem like a great idea :tu

Winehole23
03-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Which makes Obama's spending spree seem like a great idea :tuOh I see what you mean, and I don't dispute it. We're pouring gasoline on the fire. But that's the only way to bridge the gap in GDP short term.

Winehole23
03-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Government is committed to support collapsing demand. You'd have them do nothing, AHF?

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Government is committed to support collapsing demand. You'd have them do nothing, AHF?

Nothing's better than what they're doing right now. They're just piling bad debt on top of bad debt right now. Obama lectures everyone about being more responsible about their personal and family spending habits, yet spends like a drunken sailor.

But let's be honest - Obama doesn't give a shit about what's going on in the economy right now. His policies are all directed at creating a reliable voter base for the Democraptic party that is dependent on the government for its survival (and continued votes every 2 years).

Winehole23
03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Nothing's better than what they're doing right now. They're just piling bad debt on top of bad debt right now. Obama lectures everyone about being more responsible about their personal and family spending habits, yet spends like a drunken sailor.

But let's be honest - Obama doesn't give a shit about what's going on in the economy right now. Oh I bet he does.

Let's be fair to the president; he can do things for his party and his country at the same time, and will probably try to.

doobs
03-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Oh I bet he does.

Let's be fair to the president; he can do things for his party and his country at the same time, and will probably try to.

I agree with this.

Winehole23
03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Nothing's better than what they're doing right now. They're just piling bad debt on top of bad debt right now. Hard to dispute. I used to be more sympathetic toward this view before I acquainted myself with the rudiments of our present fracaso (http://www.babylon.com/definition/fracaso/English). Demand has collapsed and only government can bridge the gap.

We'll probably do no better than cushion the eventual shock, and to many this will have been worth it, or at least preferable to stuffing our hands in our pockets.

I'm on record many times urging that we declare default and get it over with, for precisely the reason you cite and others. It's also more expensive to half-ass it. Again. And again. etc.,

It's just like the recession of 2001: unwelcome, and unacceptable. National default could doom the dems so they'll just continue to ignore the tiger in the room and hope it doesn't eat them for dinner.

coyotes_geek
03-04-2009, 12:57 PM

I'd be a lot more comfortable with this concept if I believed for a nanosecond that our government would hold the line on spending as things got better and follow up these record deficits with years of surpluses so that we can pay a nice chunk of this money back. But what are the odds that is what's going to happen? Zilch, IMO.

Also, is what we're spending money on really supporting collapsing demand? I don't think it is.

Winehole23
03-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Also, is what we're spending money on really supporting collapsing demand? I don't think it is.Supposedly it's what the stimulus is for, but it pales in comparison to our financial sinkhole, and they didn't spend enough to bridge the gap. Fail.

Winehole23
03-04-2009, 01:11 PM
But what are the odds that is what's going to happen? Zilch, IMO. Oh I agree, and the coming catastrophe will erode all *meaningful* resistance to fiscal restraint if it is dramatic enough.

Outlook is bad fiscally now, but it already was for awhile. Since the end of August 2007 at least.

LnGrrrR
03-04-2009, 01:39 PM
The GOP politicians are all horrible at communicating the truth enough to break through this disturbing far-left brainwashing.

That's because most don't actually believe in that type of thing, and just say it to get elected. Or, if they do believe it, they don't ahve quite the conviction to get rid of all the perks of being a Congressman.

angrydude
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Liberals are for hard work....unless you're on welfare.

They're for personal liberty....unless you disagree with them in which case you'd better shut the hell up. (Limbaugh)

They're for personal responsibility unless you're too big to fail. (to be fair that was Bush too)

And as for torture don't kid yourselves: Democrats love killing foreigners just as much as Republicans.....just as long as they're the ones doing the killing.

Face it: No one has the moral high ground with regards to those values, but when Democrats are hypocrites its popular and when Republicans do it everyone complains.

baseline bum
03-04-2009, 01:53 PM

They're for personal liberty....unless you disagree with them in which case you'd better shut the hell up. (Limbaugh)

They're for personal responsibility unless you're too big to fail. (to be fair that was Bush too)

And as for torture don't kid yourselves: Democrats love killing foreigners just as much as Republicans.....just as long as they're the ones doing the killing.

Face it: No one has the moral high ground with regards to those values, but when Democrats are hypocrites its popular and when Republicans do it everyone complains.

Well, at least we know you're for strawmen.

Winehole23
03-04-2009, 01:54 PM
.Face it: No one has the moral high ground with regards to those values, but when Democrats are hypocrites its popular and when Republicans do it everyone complains.Time was it was the other way around, but you're right.

LnGrrrR
03-04-2009, 02:02 PM

Republicans love privacy... unless you want to use a phone, or the internet.

Republicans love freedom... unless you're suspected of terrorism.

Republicans love family values... right Vitter? Larry Craig?

angrydude
03-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Well, no one claimed Republicans loved freedom for foreigners.

Winehole23
03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Well, no one claimed Republicans loved freedom for foreigners.What about this (http://www.mnf-iraq.com/)?

angrydude
03-04-2009, 03:18 PM
I stand corrected.

Winehole23
03-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Do you still care about Iraqi freedom? Just curious.

doobs
03-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Do you still care about Iraqi freedom? Just curious.

Priorities, my friend. Priorities.

Freedom for Iraqis? Sure! Fuck yeah!

Zimbabwe? Huh?

Darfur? Who?

Burma? Never heard of it.

Winehole23
03-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Zimbabwe? Huh?

Darfur? Who?

Burma? Never heard of it.Wars for democracy used to be popular. You don't get that so much now. I was just wondering where regard for the freedom of foreigners went.

People wore lapel pins over Iraq, where is the love now?

ChumpDumper
03-04-2009, 05:22 PM
This is the number one reason they are losing at the moment. They really fucked up by laughing Ron Paul off the stage. Why? Because unlike these out of touch morons in the GOP, he actually communicated many true conservative/libertarian ideas to the younger generation. HE GOT THE YOUTH TO BECOME INTERESTED AND SUPPORTIVE BEHIND FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY!Paul, of Lake Jackson, managed to insert 22 earmarks worth $96.1 million into the bill, leading the Houston delegation, according to an analysis of more than 8,500 congressionally-mandated projects in the bill by the Houston Chronicle.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6288333.html

Of course, they had to be true conservative/libertarian earmarks, overflowing with fiscal responsibility.

clambake
03-04-2009, 05:30 PM
how about that.

SnakeBoy
03-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Republicans love privacy... unless you want to use a phone, or the internet.

Republicans love freedom... unless you're suspected of terrorism.

Aside from lip service Obama isn't much different in this regard. Should a couple of buildings go boom (or worse) under Obama's watch I think you're going to be suprised how the dems respond. It won't be with a hug and they sure as shit won't mind stepping all over your precious rights in an attempt to hang onto their new found power.

Winehole23
03-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Aside from lip service Obama isn't much different in this regard. Should a couple of buildings go boom (or worse) under Obama's watch I think you're going to be suprised how the dems respond. It won't be with a hug and they sure as shit won't mind stepping all over your precious rights in an attempt to hang onto their new found power.There were precedents (http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/03/03/yoo/) for it until the last minutes of GWB.

LnGrrrR
03-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Aside from lip service Obama isn't much different in this regard. Should a couple of buildings go boom (or worse) under Obama's watch I think you're going to be suprised how the dems respond. It won't be with a hug and they sure as shit won't mind stepping all over your precious rights in an attempt to hang onto their new found power.

Oh, I'm sure you're right. I'm just hoping the idiotic Dems manage to pry away some executive power from Obama. Dems are too spineless to go against Repubs, but they'll go against their own.

Winehole23
03-05-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm just hoping the idiotic Dems manage to pry away some executive power from Obama. It'll be a tough fight.

LnGrrrR
03-06-2009, 08:42 AM
To be fair, the Dems who pry power away from Obama won't be idiotic. I'll cheer them on. I just meant the Democrats in general are rather stupid and spineless.

The only Democrat that I haven't really seen any negatives for is Feingold. Then again, I haven't researched him very much. (I don't want all my dreams dashed to the rocks!)