PDA

View Full Version : Mason as Back-up Point Guard?

VI_Massive
03-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Monroe wrote about it in the Express-News.

Here are a few thoughts:

1. We DID start really killing the Clips when RMJ was running the back up point.

2. Maybe it allows Mason to contribute more on nights when his jumper isn't falling.

3. Since PG is a new position for Hill, it makes sense to play him as a 2 during the playoff run of his rookie season. We can still get the benefit of his defense and energy play, but without having him run the point. He was a 2 in college and his progression to a reliable NBA 1 will take time.

4. When Manu's back, do we use both he and Mason as back-up points? Is it better to have Manu not running the point when he's in or vice versa?

Responses?

m33p0
03-04-2009, 11:22 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118530
it's the clips. not much pressure for mason to operate as a primary ballhandler.
i would rather that pop force feed hill the back up point guard role even if he chokes on it.

VI_Massive
03-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks. couldn't find it.

hater
03-04-2009, 11:28 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118530
it's the clips. not much pressure for mason to operate as a primary ballhandler.
i would rather that pop force feed hill the back up point guard role even if he chokes on it.

disagree.

Hill is a rookie and nobody expected him to become backup PG in his first year. If he can step up fine, if he can't Pop shoud not force the issue.

Mason was PG for wizards when Arenas went down. He led them to some nice victories including a couple over the Celtics.

TDMVPDPOY
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
disagree.

Hill is a rookie and nobody expected him to become backup PG in his first year. If he can step up fine, if he can't Pop shoud not force the issue.

Mason was PG for wizards when Arenas went down. He led them to some nice victories including a couple over the Celtics.

nobody thought beno was backup pg in his rookie year which he did really good, ,untill he sucked in the remaining years of his contract....

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Mason's distribution and ballhandling skills are below average at best, in the playoffs if there's an emergency for the backup PG spot, it'd probably be Manu who'd handle it.

It really depends on how much Pop trusts Hill.His problems,however, have nothing to do with running the point, but more with him not being aggressive enough and switching off, which kills the flow of our offense. It'd most likely depend on matchups and Hill's confidence but I'm pretty sure he'd have to really screw up badly in order for Pop not to give him JV's 10 mins during the playoffs.

xtremesteven33
03-04-2009, 11:30 AM
I dont see why you wouldnt change the rotation for backup PG.

Mason can abuse the Suns on screens and nail the jumpers and Hill can abuse the Lakers Farmar on defense as a backup PG.

m33p0
03-04-2009, 11:33 AM
one thing is for sure: the backup point guard role is the least of Pop's worries. Spurs' guard depth is the deepest i've ever seen.

dougp
03-04-2009, 11:38 AM
one thing is for sure: the backup point guard role is the least of Pop's worries. Spurs' guard depth is the deepest i've ever seen.

This - but Mason's ball handling skills scare me. Sometimes it seems like Bowen put on Mason's jersey and a wig.

WalterBenitez
03-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Nahhhhh, we could only increase our to's ratio.

MaNu4Tres
03-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Monroe wrote about it in the Express-News.

Here are a few thoughts:

1. We DID start really killing the Clips when RMJ was running the back up point.

2. Maybe it allows Mason to contribute more on nights when his jumper isn't falling.

3. Since PG is a new position for Hill, it makes sense to play him as a 2 during the playoff run of his rookie season. We can still get the benefit of his defense and energy play, but without having him run the point. He was a 2 in college and his progression to a reliable NBA 1 will take time.

4. When Manu's back, do we use both he and Mason as back-up points? Is it better to have Manu not running the point when he's in or vice versa?

Responses?

I can see Hill contributing in the playoffs maybe in the 1st round or in the rounds to where the series isn't so tight. But against the Lakers I can see pop tightening the rotation to 8-9 players which would include Gooden Tim Bruce Mason Parker MAnu Finley Kurt and Bonner. I see Manu or Mason running back up point in that scenario only to give Bruce more time on the court to guard Kobe.

coyotes_geek
03-04-2009, 01:02 PM
If we get in the playoffs and Hill has some kind of meltdown I could see Mason getting some minutes at PG. But until Hill gives a reason to doubt him there's no reason to doubt him. He's a tough kid. I think he'll be fine.

alexinstereo
03-04-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't think he has the ball handling skills to run the poin t for an extended amount of time.

MaNu4Tres
03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't think he has the ball handling skills to run the poin t for an extended amount of time.

It would be for 12 minutes tops unless parker gets in foul trouble or if he gets hurt.