PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything to stop a Lakers/Spurs conference finals match-up?

The_Game
03-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Apart from injures of course

can any other west team stop these two from facing in the conference finals? it just don't see it.

Texas_Ranger
03-04-2009, 12:10 PM
The Mavs

Spur|n|Austin
03-04-2009, 12:11 PM
hahaha yeah you have to get past other teams first. That's the reason they play the game, nothing is set in stone and it definitely wont be a cakewalk.

TwelveGs210
03-04-2009, 12:11 PM
lol, yeah, the mavs

completely deck
03-04-2009, 12:14 PM
If Utah keeps it up, they might be this year's version of the Hornets

superbigtime
03-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Yes, the Jazz, Hornets, Nuggets, and the Rockets are all potential big obstacles (in decreasing order of potency, IMO). Some nasty hurdles. And PHX is coming on too, don't overlook them. Don't overlook anyone; it's a great way to lose.

Michi_Germany
03-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Yes, six other teams will make the playoffs...

ElNono
03-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Utah has a shot at wearing down either of these two teams. Much like the Hornets did with the Spurs last year.
I also would like to see a Phoenix vs Lakers matchup, just for shit and giggles (Shaq and Kobe trash talking). Although I think the Lakers should win fairly comfortably.

I think the road to the WC finals is going to be very rough depending on the matchups. Ideally, anybody drawing the Mavs/Phoenix, Houston, Portland or Denver, should move on without much difficulty. The Hornets might need to be added to that group if they don't get back to last season's level of play.

Strike
03-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Though it's not a foregone conclusion, I think the Spurs and Lakers are destined to meed in the WCF unless the standings change in a way that forces them to meet in the 1st or 2nd round.

And let's not get ahead of ourselves. They need to advance past 2 teams in order to even get to the conference finals. There are good teams in the west that have the ability to pull the upset and knock the spurs out in the 1st or 2nd round. Look at last year. It took 7 hard fought games against New Orleans just to get the LA in the WCF.

I, for one, want to see a Lakers/Spurs matchup in the WCF. Even with all the disappointment that has resulted from San Antonio and Los Angeles meeting in the playoffs, it's usually exciting to watch (excluding 2001 and 2002, of course).

Besides, do you really want to have to read/hear laker fan's "the Spurs won because they didn't have to play the Lakers" if the Spurs win the title this year?

rascal
03-04-2009, 12:18 PM
The Hornets can beat the Spurs. Forget about Utah.
Most likely the Spurs will meet the lakers and will lose in the conference finals.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-04-2009, 12:19 PM
There is a largely unchanged Hornets team that took the Spurs to seven last year. They don't seem to have the same chip on their shoulder that they did last year, but you can't discount them. And any team that plays as physically as the Jazz can be dangerous in the playoffs, especially when they defend their home court so well.

TDMVPDPOY
03-04-2009, 12:20 PM
lakers v suns first round

if any of them advance to 2nd round...should lose to the utah jizz

Dex
03-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Yes, six other teams will make the playoffs...

+1

There is a reason they still play the games.

MmP
03-04-2009, 12:30 PM
You can't overlook any team in the West, anybody from 1 to 8 can harm you.

TDomination
03-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I think this matchup will be inevitable, but there are other teams who are capable of beating the Spurs. But it won't happen.

completely deck
03-04-2009, 12:34 PM
You can't overlook any team in the West, anybody from 1 to 8 can harm you.

Except the Rockets.

MoSpur
03-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Jerry Sloan and the Jazz if they are all healthy.

rascal
03-04-2009, 12:39 PM
You call yourself a Spurs fan. Sad.:nope

Do you have to believe the Spurs will win every year to be a fan?
Lakers are the best team in the west.

MoSpur
03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
If the Denver Nuggets have a healthy Nene...nah. I can't even convince myself on that.

completely deck
03-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Do you have to believe the Spurs will win every year to be a fan?

Well, no, but you should have the faith in that they will.

rascal
03-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Well, no, but you should have the faith in that they will.

Why should I if I know another team is more likely to win.

completely deck
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Why should I if I know another team is more likely to win.

How long have you been a Spurs fan?

True or false: The Spurs have always been favorites to win the title in the years they have actually won it.

FALSE

It's always some other team that is chosen to be the favorites but guess who comes rolling in silver and black, each year, and gives every team a run for their money?

rascal
03-04-2009, 12:49 PM

True or false: The Spurs have always been favorites to win the title in the years they have actually won it.

FALSE

It's always some other team that is chosen to be the favorites but guess who comes rolling in silver and black, each year, and gives every team a run for their money?

Not this year. Forget about it unless they get lucky with injuries to the lakers.

rascal
03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
No, but it shows your true colors. Lakers are the best now, but that means nothing.

It does mean something if they are the best now. Unless they are hit with big injuries they will be the best come playoff time.

rascal
03-04-2009, 12:58 PM

FALSE

1999 the spurs were clearly the favorites with Duncan and Robinson on the frontline.

koriwhat
03-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Besides, do you really want to have to read/hear laker fan's "the Spurs won because they didn't have to play the Lakers" if the Spurs win the title this year?

as long as i wake up to an SA-ExpressNews with the front cover stating "Spurs NBA Champions 2009!" and the night before i hear nothing but honking then i am fine.

alexinstereo
03-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Spurs vs Rockets in the Western Conference Finals
Spurs vs Celtics for the championship.

easy7
03-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Los Mavs

hater
03-04-2009, 01:29 PM
the Jazz can beat Lakers in 1st or 2nd round. that would prevent a Spurs vs. Lakers WC Finals

RollingBlackOut
03-04-2009, 01:33 PM
the Jazz can beat Lakers in 1st or 2nd round. that would prevent a Spurs vs. Lakers WC Finals

I agree.

I say the Question should be changed to "Who are the Spurs going to play in the WCF?"

The Lakers are no lock to be in the WCF.

hater
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
:tu ^

HarlemHeat37
03-04-2009, 01:39 PM
the Lakers are the favorites to win the West, everybody agrees with that..do the Spurs have a shot? absolutely..if Bynum is out, I'd expect to win the series..but it looks like he'll be back..so if Manu is healthy as well, I'd say it's probably 70-30 chance LA wins the series right now..if the Spurs continue the solid D we've seen since February, and if Gooden becomes a solid contributor, I could see it being 60-40 for LA..

as long as Bynum is playing, they are the significant favorites though..

as for other teams..Utah and New Orleans are significant sleepers..I'd say the Hornets especially..the problem with Utah is that neither one of their big men plays D at all, so they're going to have a tough time matching up with Duncan/Gasol-Bynum..New Orleans has Chandler to throw at the Lakers and at us..

Hornets look a lot better now..West is playing like an all-star again, Chandler is back to last year's level, they added Posey, Butler is much better this year, Antonio Daniels is a good backup PG..if Peja can get back to being consistent, they'll be dangerous..

GSH
03-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Two words: Utah Jazz.

Not saying they wil... but they could.

HarlemHeat37
03-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Don't forget about the Lakers lackl of D. They look as dominant as the Suns in 04-05, but where did that get them? I can see that from the Lakers too. No D, No ring.

their D is inconsistent, but unlike the Suns, they have 2 7 footers in the middle..that's the key for the Lakers D..like I said before, Bynum is the key to everything for LA, despite the media knocking his impact recently..

m33p0
03-04-2009, 02:03 PM
The Suns! Wait, wait... they suck.
The Mavs! No... no... they suck, too.
The Rockets? Yeah, right.

2Cleva
03-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Jazz don't match up with LA well at all when both teams are healthy. Deron goes off but no one else can because LA has the big that can chase Okur outside (Odom) as well as still protect the paint.

And they can't slow down Kobe.

New Orleans is the team that's hot right now. They are different in that they now have Posey to match up with someone like Manu or Kobe.

As for saying LA doesn't have D - not the case. They aren't anywhere close to say Phoenix or Dallas was - especially when Bynum is there.

2Cleva
03-04-2009, 02:15 PM
In the last 2 seasons, LA is 8-4 against Utah (6-0 in LA, 2-4 at Utah). In those 12 games, Kobe has averaged 33 per game.

No way LA is worried about Utah. They'll just be another sure victim like the rest of the West.

dbestpro
03-04-2009, 02:27 PM
If I'm the Lakers I am most worried about a first round exit maybe to the Mavs, the ultimate humilation.

Killakobe81
03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Nope they are destined to meet again hopefully Manu,Gooden nd Bynum will al be healthy and things will be determined on the court and hopefully no Brent barry Dfish no-calls either ...

Killakobe81
03-04-2009, 02:34 PM
I agree.

I say the Question should be changed to "Who are the Spurs going to play in the WCF?"

The Lakers are no lock to be in the WCF.

You guys are hoping and praying here ... Look I have been disappointed in the up and down play of th Lakers on defense but in evry big games vs. spurs, Cavs, Celts etc . we have played good defense ..no playoff teams have blown us out ...and even our worst losses (pistons at home nuggs on road we were in the game)

We will be in the WCF ...that is my only prediction ...spurs hornets and Jazz could beat us there ..BUT Spurs the only team that worries me ..the rest I respect but do not fear ...in the east it's the celts we would smash Cavs

1Parker1
03-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I'd say the Jazz, Hornets, and Rockets in that order can all stop the Lakers and Spurs from meeting in the Conference Finals.

Aside from the usual injuries that is...

GSH
03-04-2009, 02:56 PM
New Orleans is the team that's hot right now. They are different in that they now have Posey to match up with someone like Manu or Kobe.

New Orleans is the team that's hot right now, and not the Jazz? The Jazz haven't lost since before the All Star break. And since 2/11, they have beaten L.A., Memphis, Boston, New Orleans, and Atlanta. And the only close games were the 5-point win against Boston, and the 4-point win against L.A.

In that same span, the Hornets lost to Memphis, Boston, L.A., and Utah. And they barely got past New Jersey, Milwaukee, Detroit, and OKC.

Maybe it's not fair to look at things like W-L record and scores. But Utah is looking pretty damned good to me right now.

In the last 2 seasons, LA is 8-4 against Utah (6-0 in LA, 2-4 at Utah). In those 12 games, Kobe has averaged 33 per game.

No way LA is worried about Utah. They'll just be another sure victim like the rest of the West.

That's a .666 record against Utah over 2 years, which is good. But in a 7-game series, all it would take would be a single bad game from Kobe... a single game where Okur goes off. A couple of little "oops" moments here or there, and the Lakers could be down 3-2 playing in Utah. The Jazz are a good team, and if they peak going into the playoffs, they could beat any team in the league.

Still, I hope the Lakers players are looking at the Jazz as a "sure victim" like you say they are.

Slomo
03-04-2009, 02:57 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Emoticons/premature_poster.jpg

HarlemHeat37
03-04-2009, 03:19 PM
the Jazz are a regular season team though, that's their problem..they don't have the size to matchup with Duncan, Gasol, and Bynum..Boozer is undersized and doesn't play D, while Okur is a perimeter player..

if they had a legit C instead of Okur, I would believe in their chances..with their team currently as it is, I don't think they can beat us or beat the Lakers unless they have an extremely hot series with their shooting..

New Orleans is the wildcard..

Spurs Brazil
03-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Hornets are playing well again and Jazz is a tough team

deadratsam
03-04-2009, 04:36 PM
You can be a Cowboys fan and state that another team will most likely win it all.
You can be an Astros fan and admit they'd be lucky to make the playoffs.
But I don't get how you can be a Spurs fan and not know that the Spurs always have a chance to win it all and we should believe that they will.

WalterBenitez
03-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Apart from injures of course

can any other west team stop these two from facing in the conference finals? it just don't see it.

Send Kobe to Colorado, his knee needs a review :p:

SpursDynasty
03-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Utah can give LA problems. If Utah gets the #3, #6, or #8 seed, LA will see them in the first or 2nd round.

sananspursfan21
03-04-2009, 06:07 PM
The Mavs

you're kidding right?

sananspursfan21
03-04-2009, 06:10 PM
i don't think there's a western conference team that can take the spurs in 7. i see them struggling against a re-vamped nuggets or a "desperate to beat the spurs" suns (barring they even make the playoffs) but i don't think anybody will give them trouble enough that the spurs can't beat them four times in a series. the lakers are the hump to get over

sananspursfan21
03-04-2009, 06:12 PM
as far as the lakers are concerned, any team can upset them. remember the mavs in 07? spurs in 06? the tallest ones trip the easiest.

don't try to disprove me with the 96 bulls example either.

de Soto
03-04-2009, 07:01 PM
The Mavs

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

A good one. :toast

WalterBenitez
03-04-2009, 07:41 PM
If I'm the Lakers I am most worried about a first round exit maybe to the Mavs, the ultimate humilation.

Don't worry only Mavs could do that.

FromWayDowntown
03-04-2009, 07:46 PM
After reading the forum today, I'm convinced that Pops Menash-Bonsu can stop a Lakers/Spurs conference finals match-up.

spurtilldeath
03-04-2009, 07:52 PM
complacency and lack of defensive mindset...these are the two key let downs that could lead to end of season without reaching glory