PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a good recipe for Chili? (the one with meat in it)

JudynTX
03-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I like to try different recipes. Thanks. :D

JoeChalupa
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Oh, man. A chili throw down!!

Dex
03-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Oh god, here we go again.

SpursWoman
03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Here's a recipe from a Rachel Ray cookbook that I make all of the time because it's good and it's fast ...

2 to 2 1/2 pounds lean ground sirloin, turkey or chicken
1 large onion, chopped
3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons (about 2 palmfuls) chili powder
2 teaspoons (half a palmful) ground cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons tomato paste
Hot sauce, to taste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 bottle dark beer, such as Negro Modelo, or 1 1/2 cups beef or chicken stock

Place a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons EVOO, about 2 turns of the pan. Add the ground meat to the pan and cook until brown, about 6-7 minutes, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks using a potato masher or back of a wooden spoon.
http://media.rachaelrayshow.com/managed/recipes/2008/01/21/images/2087wfd3_garlicgrate_thumb.jpg Push the meat to one side of the pan and add the onion, garlic, jalapeño, chili powder and cumin to the pot. Cook until the veggies soften, 5-6 minutes, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

http://media.rachaelrayshow.com/managed/recipes/2008/01/21/images/2087wfd5_beer_thumb.jpg Add the tomato paste to the pot and cook for about 1 minute, until it smells sweet and has caramelized slightly. Add the hot sauce, Worcestershire and beer or stock to the pot. Bring everything up to a bubble, then reduce the heat and simmer the chili until thickened, about 10 minutes.

Dex
03-04-2009, 12:57 PM
1 lb ground chuck
1 lb stew meat / chili cut
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can Ranch Style or Red Kidney Beans
1 white onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt, Pepper, Chili Powder, Cumin, and Paprika to taste. I'll usually also throw in some parsley and cayenne pepper or pepper sauce.

Brown the meat in a large pot or saute pan. Remove from pan and drain. Saute garlic, onions, bell pepper, and any other vegetables of choice until soft. Add stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and 1 cup of water. Stir, add meat, stir. Add seasoning to taste. Simmer over a low heat preferably at least 30 mins; the longer the better, and is one of those things that is good to let go and let people eat when they will.

Pretty much picked this recipe up from my Ma, and it was always a comfy dinner on cold nights.

JoeChalupa
03-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I use both pork and beef. Beans, onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder, bay leaf, oregano, crushed tomatoes, some whatsthishere sauce, S&P to taste and some hot sauce. I'm sure I'm missing something else that I throw in.

HORNSWOGGLE
03-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Eric Cartman does

mrsmaalox
03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
It seems like I never make chili the same way twice but it's always good. The one thing I always use is beans; I know there's a controversy as to whether real chili has beans or not.
And I like to use home made beans, so I freeze some for chili every time I make a pot.

JudynTX
03-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Here's a recipe from a Rachel Ray cookbook that I make all of the time because it's good and it's fast ...

1 large onion, chopped
Hot sauce, to taste

Place a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons EVOO, about 2 turns of the pan. Add the ground meat to the pan and cook until brown, about 6-7 minutes, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks using a potato masher or back of a wooden spoon.
http://media.rachaelrayshow.com/managed/recipes/2008/01/21/images/2087wfd3_garlicgrate_thumb.jpg Push the meat to one side of the pan and add the onion, garlic, jalapeño, chili powder and cumin to the pot. Cook until the veggies soften, 5-6 minutes, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

http://media.rachaelrayshow.com/managed/recipes/2008/01/21/images/2087wfd5_beer_thumb.jpg Add the tomato paste to the pot and cook for about 1 minute, until it smells sweet and has caramelized slightly. Add the hot sauce, Worcestershire and beer or stock to the pot. Bring everything up to a bubble, then reduce the heat and simmer the chili until thickened, about 10 minutes.

Thanks for the recipe. :D

The one thing I always use is beans; I know there's a controversy as to whether real chili has beans or not.
And I like to use home made beans, so I freeze some for chili every time I make a pot.

:lol Yea, chili enthusiasts always blast me once I tell them I put beans in mine too.

Dex
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
It seems like I never make chili the same way twice but it's always good. The one thing I always use is beans; I know there's a controversy as to whether real chili has beans or not.

"Texas Chili" technically shouldn't have any beans, and some chili contests won't even accept chili with beans in it. The reason for this was beef is plentiful in Texas and chili was a staple among cattle towns. As the recipe moved East, more ingredients started to find their way in, and beans were used as a partial substitute for meat as beef was more expensive in these areas.

So technically, the 'purists' are right....but I still like my chili better with beans in it.

Methinks I watch too much Good Eats!

SpursStalker
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
1 lb ground chuck
1 lb stew meat / chili cut
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can Ranch Style or Red Kidney Beans
1 white onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt, Pepper, Chili Powder, Cumin, and Paprika to taste. I'll usually also throw in some parsley and cayenne pepper or pepper sauce.

Brown the meat in a large pot or saute pan. Remove from pan and drain. Saute garlic, onions, bell pepper, and any other vegetables of choice until soft. Add stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and 1 cup of water. Stir, add meat, stir. Add seasoning to taste. Simmer over a low heat preferably at least 30 mins; the longer the better, and is one of those things that is good to let go and let people eat when they will.

Pretty much picked this recipe up from my Ma, and it was always a comfy dinner on cold nights.

You do chili too?

Damn dude ...

:wow

SpursWoman
03-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the recipe. :D

You're welcome. :)

I don't make it with beans because no one in my house likes them except for me ... but the entire recipe that comes from is for her Chili Cheese Fries and a side salad (which I make all of the time because they are badass :cooldevil):
Ingredients

4 very large Idaho potatoes, cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
2 tablespoons grill seasoning
2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus additional, divided
2-2 1/2 pounds lean ground sirloin, turkey or chicken
1 large onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
2 tablespoons chili powder (about 2 palmfuls)
2 teaspoons ground cumin (half a palmful)
Hot sauce, to taste
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
1 seedless cucumber, chopped
Preparation

Preheat oven to 450ºF.

Place the potatoes onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle them with the grill seasoning and a good drizzle of EVOO. Toss to coat, then transfer to the oven and roast, until crispy golden brown, about 40 minutes. Turn them once halfway through cooking time.

While the potatoes are roasting, place a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons EVOO, about 2 turns of the pan. Add the ground meat to the pan and cook until brown, about 6-7 minutes, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks using a potato masher or back of a wooden spoon.

Push the meat to one side of the pan and add the onion, garlic, jalapeño, chili powder and cumin to the pot. Cook until the veggies soften, 5-6 minutes, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Add the tomato paste to the pot and cook for about 1 minute, until it smells sweet and has caramelized slightly. Add the hot sauce, Worcestershire and beer or stock to the pot. Bring everything up to a bubble, then reduce the heat and simmer the chili until thickened, about 10 minutes.

While the chili is simmering, place a medium-size pot over medium-high heat and melt the butter. Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and cook it for about a minute. Stir the mustard into the butter-flour mixture, then whisk in the milk and stock. Continue whisking the sauce until it has thickened up, then remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cheese until melted. Season the cheese sauce with salt and freshly ground black pepper and reserve.

In a large salad bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup EVOO along with the red wine vinegar, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the lettuce and cucumber to the bowl and toss to combine. To serve, divide the fries between four plates and top each one with some chili-cheese sauce and some salad alongside.

phyzik
03-04-2009, 01:46 PM
my favorite recipe

http://www.hormelsoccer.com/downloadflder72/HormelChili72.jpg

Open can.

Pour contents into pot.

Heat pot on oven for 8-10 minutes.

Consume contents.

JoeChalupa
03-04-2009, 01:47 PM
:lmao

JudynTX
03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
You're welcome. :)

I don't make it with beans because no one in my house likes them except for me ... but the entire recipe that comes from is for her Chili Cheese Fries and a side salad (which I make all of the time because they are badass :cooldevil):

Do you read her magazine? :D That recipe sounded good too.

my favorite recipe

http://www.hormelsoccer.com/downloadflder72/HormelChili72.jpg

Open can.

Pour contents into pot.

Heat pot on oven for 8-10 minutes.

Consume contents.

There's always one smart ass. :lol

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Wait . . . RR has a magazine?

David Bowie
03-04-2009, 02:19 PM
1 can of red kidney beans
1 large onion
2 cans of whole peeled tomtatoes
Chilli powder
ground beef to your liking
any type and amount of pasta to your liking

1. Bring water to a boil in a pot and add pasta. coock until tender.
2.Cut up onions and canned tomatoes
3. Add oil and a little water to a very large pan. Add beans, cut tomatoes, cut onions and ground beefto the pan.
4. Coock until beans open up and all the juices have dried up. Add chili poweder to your liking about half-way through.
5. Serve over pasta

* This recipe isn't really exact. This is how I make chile and I find it delicious.

PM5K
03-04-2009, 02:46 PM
They do make some pretty good chili in a can.

Bush makes (or used to) make a pretty good starter called Chili Magic, just add ground meat.

Also, H-E-B sells a mix for chili that comes in a glass jar, it costs about seven bucks, but it's good, just add meat as well.

Michael Scott
03-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Chilli's is where Business happens! -Small Business Magazine

Michael Scott
03-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Bush makes (or used to) a pretty good starter

That's what she said!

BacktoBasics
03-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Tritip makes for good chili meat.

tlongII
03-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Ingredients
• 12 oz tomato paste
• 16 oz tomato sauce
• 3 24oz cans red kidney beans (drained)
• 6 Tablespoons garlic powder
• 3 Tablespoons onion powder
• 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
• 2 Tablespoons parsley
• 2 Teaspoons oregano
• 1/2 Teaspoon salt
• 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 Tablespoon chipotle powder
• 1 Teaspoon habenero chile powder
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 4 whole red habeneros (deveined, deseeded and chopped)
• 6 jalepenos (deveined, deseeded and chopped)
• 2 New Mexican chiles (deveined, deseeded and chopped)
• 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
• 1 pound steak of choice
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 pound ground pork
• 6 oz beer (1/2 can)

Directions

Saute the onion in a small amount of olive oil in a large pot until translucent. Bring to a simmer the tomato paste, tomato sauce, kidney beans, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper, chipotle powder, habenero powder, habeneros, jalapenos, New Mexican chiles, and dry pasta. while this is simmering, grill steak and brown beef and pork in a large skillet. Drain the meat, and season with salt and pepper. Cut steak into very small pieces and add steak, beef and pork to sauce along with beer. Cook for 30 minutes. Serve with grated cheese and chopped onions.

Dex
03-04-2009, 03:18 PM
You do chili too?

Damn dude ...

:wow

I like to cook, cuz I like to eat. :hungry: And good food doesn't like to make itself.

PM5K
03-04-2009, 03:41 PM
And good food doesn't like to make itself.

It sure as hell don't!

dimsah
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM
You don't use beans in real chili because the flavor is too dominant.
If you want beans, then make a pot of beans and put chili powder and cumin in it.

but it's still not chili.

CuckingFunt
03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Eric Cartman does

His recipe is too difficult. I can never train the pony to bite Scott Tenorman's wiener off.

CuckingFunt
03-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Wait . . . RR has a magazine?

Sadly, yes.

Spursone
03-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Hey,

If you ever need any Recipe go to you tube. I do it al the time.

PakiDan
03-07-2009, 09:35 PM

1 large onion, chopped
Hot sauce, to taste

I just made this recipe... it was BOMB! Great recipe. Thanks!

Summers
03-08-2009, 01:03 AM
I love chili. I don't have a recipe. I just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot. I personally prefer to use diced tomatoes instead of paste. Paste is too bitter for me. But that reminded me I've heard of people buying dark chocolate (like Mexican chocolate) and putting it in chili. It supposedly adds a nice smoky flavor, dark color and smooth texture. I wonder if that would balance out the bitter paste flavor.

I think it goes without saying, but the proper way to serve chili is over Fritos, of course. :lol

ehz33satx
03-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I like to add a bottle of Guiness Stout, plus I add kidney beans and red beans to my chili.

Summers
03-09-2009, 10:25 AM
What's EVOO? Also do you have a similar recipe but w/ beans?

EDIT* Thats what I get for skipping ahead.. but what is EVOO?

:lol I can't believe there's someone who hasn't heard Rachael Ray refer to extra virgin olive oil as EVOO.

And beans in chili... just say no. It's not right. It like mixing meals. Beans and cornbread is one thing. Chili is another.

SpursWoman
03-09-2009, 10:37 AM
What's EVOO? Also do you have a similar recipe but w/ beans?

EDIT* Thats what I get for skipping ahead.. but what is EVOO?

Extra virgin olive oil. :)

Jekka
03-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I love chili. I don't have a recipe. I just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot. I personally prefer to use diced tomatoes instead of paste. Paste is too bitter for me. But that reminded me I've heard of people buying dark chocolate (like Mexican chocolate) and putting it in chili. It supposedly adds a nice smoky flavor, dark color and smooth texture. I wonder if that would balance out the bitter paste flavor.

I think it goes without saying, but the proper way to serve chili is over Fritos, of course. :lol

This is also my method for chili, just throw a bunch of stuff in without measuring - I made it a couple months ago and used some unsweetened cocoa powder (just like a tablespoon for the whole pot), but it turned out pretty good. It doesn't make it taste like chocolate at all, and I like the flavor. I don't know about it evening out the tomato paste flavor, but then I don't find the latter very bitter (I eat it on toast when I want a savory snack on occasion, with olive oil and dried herbs ... good stuff).

Summers
03-09-2009, 10:47 AM
This is also my method for chili, just throw a bunch of stuff in without measuring - I made it a couple months ago and used some unsweetened cocoa powder (just like a tablespoon for the whole pot), but it turned out pretty good. It doesn't make it taste like chocolate at all, and I like the flavor. I don't know about it evening out the tomato paste flavor, but then I don't find the latter very bitter (I eat it on toast when I want a savory snack on occasion, with olive oil and dried herbs ... good stuff).

I'm gonna try the cocoa powder. This thread is making me want to make a pot of chili.

slayermin
03-09-2009, 01:21 PM
If you asked this guy, he would say you should start with good, quality meat.

http://racksandrazors.com/Pics/Jim.jpg

mogrovejo
03-09-2009, 03:00 PM
"Texas Chili" technically shouldn't have any beans, and some chili contests won't even accept chili with beans in it. The reason for this was beef is plentiful in Texas and chili was a staple among cattle towns. As the recipe moved East, more ingredients started to find their way in, and beans were used as a partial substitute for meat as beef was more expensive in these areas.

So technically, the 'purists' are right....but I still like my chili better with beans in it.

Methinks I watch too much Good Eats!

Makes sense, good post.

I'm not a fan of chili by any means, but here's an European version, from Jamie Oliver's book:

It's great to buy chuck steak for this recipe because you know exactly what quality of meat you're buying. Then simply cut it into pieces and pulse in a food processor until it resembles minced beef. I normally make double the amount of chilli needed so that I can divide the extra into sandwich bags, knotted at the top, for freezing. These bags can then be boiled for 15 minutes when needed.

2 medium onions
1 clove of garlic
olive oil
2 level teaspoons chilli powder
1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 heaped teaspoon ground cumin (or crushed cumin seeds)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
455gr/1 lb chuck steak, minced, or best minced beef
200gr/7oz sun-dried tomatoes in oil
2 x 400gr/14oz tins of tomatoes
1/2 stick of cinnamon
2 x 400gr/14oz tins of red kidney beans, drained

To cook this I use a metal pan or casserole with a lid, which you can use on the hob and in the oven. If you are going to use the oven method (see below) then preheat the oven to 150C/300F/gas 2.

Blitz the onions and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped, then fry in a little olive oil until soft. Add the chilli powder, fresh chilli, cumin and a little seasoning. Then add the minced chuck steak or beef and continue to cook, stirring until it has browned. Blitz the sun-dried tomatoes in the food processor with enough oil from the jar to loosen into a paste. Add these to the beef with the tomatoes, cinnamon stick and a wineglass of water. Season a little more if need be.

Bring to the boil, cover with greaseproof paper and the lid, then either turn the heat down to simmer and cook for 1 1/2 hours or transfer the pan to the oven for about 1 1/2 hours. Add the tinned kidney beans 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time - they are already cooked and only need warming up.

This always tastes better if you cook it the day before (to give the flavours time to develop), so it's really handy if you've got friends coming round and don't want to be stuck in the kitchen. Just take it out of the fridge and warm it up - serve it with lots of fresh crusty bread, a nice tossed salad, and a big blob of natural yoghurt or guacamole.

I've tried this a couple of times and my advise would be to substitute the kidney beans for red beans or for no beans at all. I like to eat it with rice.