PDA

View Full Version : Phil Collins stops singing to focus on Alamo

JudynTX
03-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Singer Phil Collins said his life now revolves around the Alamo.

Collins is in town, set to appear at local events commemorating the anniversary of the siege and battle of the Alamo. Though he's mulling the idea of recording a tribute cover album of 1960s songs, he said he's making the Alamo “my main thing” as a collector, history buff and possible author.

“Basically, now I've stopped being Phil Collins the singer. This has become what I do,” he said Monday, standing beside a 13-foot-by-15-foot model of the 1836 Alamo compound that will open to the public this week.

Collins, who is British, said he has “hundreds” of cannonballs, documents and other artifacts from the Alamo, possibly the largest private collection anywhere, in the basement of his home in Switzerland. He said he's collaborating with artist Gary Zaboly on a book about his collection.

His most prized item is a receipt signed by Alamo commander William Barret Travis for 32 head of cattle used to feed the Alamo defenders.

His latest involvement in Alamo history is narrating the introduction of a 13-minute “Alamo diorama light and sound show” at the History Shop at 713 E. Houston St., by the Alamo. Invited guests at a preview tonight will also see a battle site excavation covered with a window on the floor of the shop, which is near the Alamo's north wall, where much of the heaviest fighting occurred.

The show, which costs $1 per person, will be open to the public Wednesday.

What began as a boyhood passion as he saw actor Fess Parker portray Davy Crockett now is a full-time pursuit for Collins, 58.

“He's very well read,” said Jim Guimarin, who owns the History Shop and has traveled with Collins to battle sites.

Last year, standing under a moonlit sky among the walls at Mission La Bahía in Goliad, it was as if he and Collins had been transported back to 1836. Collins was given a private tour of the San Jacinto battleground, where the Texans defeated Mexico and won independence April 21. This year, they may visit a historic site near Corpus Christi where 35 Texans were killed or captured.

Collins also plans to attend Friday's commemorations of the Alamo battle and is set to speak to the Alamo Defenders Descendants Association on Saturday.

Some Alamo history enthusiasts who weren't familiar with Collins' hits — such as “In the Air Tonight” and “One More Night” — didn't know who he was when he appeared unexpectedly at last year's events on the battle's March 6 anniversary.

Tom Jackson, president of the Travis chapter of the Sons of the Republic of Texas, was a featured speaker that day. He said he knew who Collins was, but was shocked to see him there.

Jackson said Collins' zeal could help stimulate an interest in Texas history in others.

“Phil has a strong passion, and I think that's wonderful. There's a great deal of well-written history for anyone with a desire to learn,” Jackson said.

Collins said he's passed on his appetite for the Alamo lore to his five children, especially his youngest sons, ages 4 and 7.

“My youngest two, they can identify Travis, Crockett and Santa Anna when they see their pictures,” he said.

Earlier Monday, it was a local boy, Zakariah Ftaiti, who helped start off the week of historical observances at a Texas Independence Day ceremony at the Alamo. Ftaiti, 11, read long excerpts of the Texas Declaration of Independence, which cited “piratical attacks upon our commerce” and “arbitrary acts of oppression and tyranny” among reasons delegates declared “our eternal political separation” from Mexico.

Ftaiti, a descendant of James Troy Lakey, who lived here after Texas became a republic, said he was nervous but happy to share his Texas pride.

“Texas has so much history, with so many valiant heroes. And it's a melting pot of so many different cultures,” he said.

Those are the kinds of passions Collins said he'd found. Though still recognized for his music when he's in Los Angeles or New York, he said he's known for his fascination for the Alamo when he's in San Antonio.

Alamo (http://http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Alamo_is_new_passion_for_singer_Phil_Collins.html)

Frenzy
03-04-2009, 01:44 PM
i saw him at taco cabana

JoeChalupa
03-04-2009, 01:45 PM
When asked about his music he simply said.. "I don't care anymore".

JoeChalupa
03-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I'd had to say his chances of returning to music are Against All Odds.

Oh, Gee!!
03-04-2009, 01:47 PM
When asked how long he planned to stay in town, he replied "One More Night, Give Me Just One More Night."

jack sommerset
03-04-2009, 01:56 PM
This just in. Phil cannot stand the smell,the trash,all the people who donot speak english,the fat people and any of the places that went out of business turned in to Mexican restaurants broke down on the River Walk. As he was carried away by friends and his manager all people could hear is him singing "Take Me Home"

batman2883
03-04-2009, 01:59 PM
phil collins is the man!!!!

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-04-2009, 02:00 PM
This just in. Phil cannot stand the smell,the trash,all the people who donot speak english,the fat people and any of the places that went out of business turned in to Mexican restaurants broke down on the River Walk. As he was carried away by friends and his manager all people could hear is him singing "Take Me Home"

That post has all been a pack of lies!

JudynTX
03-04-2009, 02:05 PM
:lmao You guys don't waste time.

batman2883
03-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Phil collins touched me

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-04-2009, 02:08 PM
This is all actually a bit of a surprise to me. I had no clue he was such an Alamo buff. I kept expecting to reach the end and find out it was an Onion article or something.

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 02:08 PM
He should think twice.

mrsmaalox
03-04-2009, 02:19 PM
It's his genesis as a history buff.

batman2883
03-04-2009, 02:20 PM
genesis ha ha ha ha i cant talk, i cant sing, only thing about me is the way walk

smeagol
03-04-2009, 02:25 PM
You cannot take anything Phil Collins says at Face Value.

smeagol
03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Funny he has a home in Switzerland. I thought he made his Home by the Sea . . .

Spurminator
03-04-2009, 02:27 PM
So how is he getting around San Antonio? Is he getting to the Alamo a-by-limo or Abacab?

/thread

smeagol
03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Ohhh Mama . . .

FromWayDowntown
03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Just another day for me and Phil in paradise.

smeagol
03-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Good thing Alamo tours have a No Jacket Required policy . . .

Oh, Gee!!
03-04-2009, 02:32 PM
He as impressed how the Texans stayed and defended the Alamo Against All Odds

BlackSwordsMan
03-04-2009, 02:36 PM
he can buy my house next to the alamo for 2 million

smeagol
03-04-2009, 02:38 PM
He as impressed how the Texans stayed and defended the Alamo Against All Odds

Oh Gee, have you lost your number?

smeagol
03-04-2009, 02:41 PM
By revealing his paasion for all things Alamo, Mr Collins has shown his True Colors . . .

angel_luv
03-04-2009, 02:42 PM
:lol
I love that song.

JudynTX
03-04-2009, 02:42 PM
manxPVTLth8

Might as well! :hat

tlongII
03-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Odd dude.

I Love Me Some Me
03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Collins has a groovy kind of love for the Alamo.

When asked if his knowledge of Alamo history was accurate, Collins replied, "Jesus, He knows me...and He knows I'm right."

RandomGuy
03-05-2009, 11:06 AM
He went to a banquet and got a bit tipsy so he had to get somebody to "take me home".

RandomGuy
03-05-2009, 11:07 AM
It seems so long he was waiting, and still doesn't know what for, but it looks like he found it...

AlamoSpursFan
03-05-2009, 11:50 AM
This thread is no fun without an illegal alien referrence.

leemajors
03-05-2009, 12:47 PM
O1kDmnHyOBg

Condemned 2 HelLA
03-05-2009, 12:59 PM
This thread is no fun without an illegal alien referrence.

Ask and ye shall recieve:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NMgzHTf37-U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NMgzHTf37-U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Buddy Holly
03-05-2009, 01:08 PM
all the people who donot speak english,

Or type it correctly.

Blake
03-05-2009, 01:16 PM
when asked what he wanted to eat at a local Mexican restaurant, he said "sss..ssss..ssudio". The waiter said "I don't get it" to which Collins replied, "neither do I"

englishspursfan
03-05-2009, 09:44 PM
phill collins is a fucking wanker.

neboat
03-06-2009, 05:52 PM
I love Phil and have been to a few of his solo concert, but my passion is with Genesis and to see them live for the first time in 2007 was a dream come true. Hopefully Phil goes to watch the Spurs while he's there and cheers them on :)

tsb2000
03-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I thought maybe he wanted to make the Alamo "A place worth living in"? :)