PDA

View Full Version : The Suns Winning Tonight is not Important

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Listen, I know they lost last night and didn't play defense at all, but Nash had fun which is way more important than getting the W. All those turnovers and lapses on defense were the time of Nash's life. Who cares if in order to win a title you need to play defense and avoid turnovers, that doesn't sound like a whole bunch of fun now does it?

Would giving the ball to Shaq down the stretch when he had been dominating the entire game rather do retarded run and suck crap which results in a turnover cause Matt Brick sucks have possibly made it so the Suns didn't fall apart in the 4th? Probably, but who needs entry passes and high percentage shots when you can have fun?

Clearly, defending Wade tonight is something we're just gonna have to live without. It's just not very fun, and Nash has clearly stated multiple times that having fun is the most important thing ever, cause ya know, when people go to work everyday, it's their boss's job to make sure they're having fun.

pauls931
03-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Maybe you should trade nash to LA for Sasha and machine your way to the championship.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Maybe you should trade nash to LA for Sasha and machine your way to the championship.

Maybe you should cut the Nash T-bagging out and consider the possibility that maybe Nash isn't this "Do whatever it takes to win" competitor people think he is for no reason.

resistanze
03-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Maybe you should cut the Nash T-bagging out and consider the possibility that maybe Nash isn't this "Do whatever it takes to win" competitor people think he is for no reason.

I knew this in 2005, if it makes you feel better!

Ghazi
03-04-2009, 03:36 PM
The suns better have their shots falling and their legs tonight because D-Whistle the primadonna wheelchair bitch who doesn't deserve his ring and is a sex addict is probably going to have a great game.

That being said, every game is "important", but a loss here simply means they'll have to win 1 more game than they would've had they won this game in the final 20 of the season (what?).

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 03:40 PM
That being said, every game is "important"

No, having fun is important. Sure the fans might want to see the team win but we must understand Nash wants to have fun and that's all that matters.

RUN AND SUCK BASKETBALL NO CHAMPIONSHIPS BUT FUN FOR THE CANADIAN CANCER!!!!

Xylus
03-04-2009, 03:41 PM
It's strange, because when I play basketball, I always really enjoy playing great D. It's as good a feeling as scoring when you deny your man a good shot, or get a nasty block.

dirk4mvp
03-04-2009, 03:44 PM
DoK, you hate Nash now too?

Xylus
03-04-2009, 03:45 PM
It's too bad Nash and Amare don't play like Ponytail Douche.

Trainwreck2100
03-04-2009, 03:48 PM
It's too bad Nash and Amare don't play like Ponytail Douche.

he does look like a douche, too bad nobody can drog him down by his idiotic hair like that guy did to equally douchy looking hairstyle wearer Troy Polimalu

Xylus
03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Well no one would do that to Ponytail Douche because he's an energy player and everyone loves him. They call him Sweet Lou, or Lightning Lou, or LOOOOUUUUUUUUUU.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 03:50 PM
It's strange, because when I play basketball, I always really enjoy playing great D. It's as good a feeling as scoring when you deny your man a good shot, or get a nasty block.

As do I, however it sucks when you have one of those people that think they're a pickup basketball legend so they don't have to play defense on your team.

And I think you told me you go to UA, some of the people that play at the rec center call a foul whenever they get blocked coughasianpeoplecough

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 03:52 PM
DoK, you hate Nash now too?

I probably wouldn't if not for the Nash groupies that know nothing about basketball that blindly defend whatever he does. What makes it worse is the local media makes an obvious effort to victimize Nash as much as possible and not upset the Nash T-baggers.

dirk4mvp
03-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Well no one would do that to Ponytail Douche because he's an energy player and everyone loves him. They call him Sweet Lou, or Lightning Lou, or LOOOOUUUUUUUUUU.

I hope he challenges Brandon Bass to a fight next time the Mavs and Suns play so he can rip that guy's throat out.

IronMexican
03-04-2009, 03:53 PM
As do I, however it sucks when you have one of those people that think they're a pickup basketball legend so they don't have to play defense on your team.

And I think you told me you go to UA, some of the people that play at the rec center call a foul whenever they get blocked coughasianpeoplecough

racist.

Xylus
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM

I play at the UA Rec a couple of hours a day, and I see all kinds of ridiculous pickup basketball stereotypes:

1. The "Ball Stays" guy, who gets fouled on every missed shot, but not on made ones.

2. The All Offense-No Defense guy that you mentioned, who will literally stand at the opposite end of the court waiting for a cherry-pick pass, even though his team 4 teammates are defending 5 opponents at the other end.

3. The "I Just Lifted" guy who excuses his poor shooting by saying he just got done lifting weights. There's always one of these guys on the court at all times.

4. The Player-Coach who fucking directs every player on the court even though he sucks major balls.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM
he does look like a douche

He looks like a douche but he tries hard, Nash looks like a fagot and he's lazy.

JMarkJohns
03-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Let us not be distracted from the asswipe all Suns fans are really mad at: Robert Sarver.

I get the frustration with the run-n-gun. I hated D'Antoni's itty-bitty ball and even though Shaq has now replaced Amare as the center, at times the Suns are still too small.

Let's face it, as long as the fans are eating up the "Fun and 50 wins" that this style brings, Sarver is unlikely to do anything different. Fun puts butts in the seats, which puts money in his pockets. As hard as it is, rooting for a trainwreck may actually be the best for the longterm future of this team, because so long as Sarver makes money, he will likely keep the team. As long as Sarver keeps the Suns, no title will ever be attained.

It sucks, and it's damn hard to do for very long, but if Sarver is ever to sell the team, first his profits need to be threatened.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I play at the UA Rec a couple of hours a day, and I see all kinds of ridiculous pickup basketball stereotypes:

1. The "Ball Stays" guy, who gets fouled on every missed shot, but not on made ones.

2. The All Offense-No Defense guy that you mentioned, who will literally stand at the opposite end of the court waiting for a cherry-pick pass, even though his team 4 teammates are defending 5 opponents at the other end.

3. The "I Just Lifted" guy who excuses his poor shooting by saying he just got done lifting weights. There's always one of these guys on the court at all times.

4. The Player-Coach who fucking directs every player on the court even though he sucks major balls.

I've only played a few times (I started this semester) and ya there were so many of those types.

My favorite cherry picker type is the guy who always needs to tie his shoe right under the basket while his team gets back on D.

I also like the big man who thinks he's a shooting guard. This guy is also a ball stays guy because he usually drives recklessly at the hoop and calls foul after he just throws something up because of poor body control.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Let us not be distracted from the asswipe all Suns fans are really mad at: Robert Sarver.

I get the frustration with the run-n-gun. I hated D'Antoni's itty-bitty ball and even though Shaq has now replaced Amare as the center, at times the Suns are still too small.

Let's face it, as long as the fans are eating up the "Fun and 50 wins" that this style brings, Sarver is unlikely to do anything different. Fun puts butts in the seats, which puts money in his pockets. As hard as it is, rooting for a trainwreck may actually be the best for the longterm future of this team, because so long as Sarver makes money, he will likely keep the team. As long as Sarver keeps the Suns, no title will ever be attained.

It sucks, and it's damn hard to do for very long, but if Sarver is ever to sell the team, first his profits need to be threatened.

I'd much rather root for a 20 win team for a few years (assuming they are making progress) than the vintage 5-6 seed teams with absolutely no future we've seen for the greater part of the Suns existence.

JMarkJohns
03-04-2009, 04:11 PM
I'd much rather root for a 20 win team for a few years (assuming they are making progress) than the vintage 5-6 seed teams with absolutely no future we've seen for the greater part of the Suns existence.

Same here... I want to see some youth fighting for minutes. I want to see a coach that can actually game-manage, develop through practice and run plays in game. I'd be much happier with effort than fun...

But there aren't that many fans like those of us. Most fans are ignorant of the fact that Sarver has sacrificed their fandom's future buy trading almost every 1st-rounder he could. And, unlike his claims, he didn't sacrifice the future on the alter of the immediate... I didn't resign Joe Johnson... he didn't resign Tim Thomas or increase his offer for John Salmons. He settled, figuring that as long as Nash was throwing lobs in transition he'd have the seats filled every night.

He was right. And now the Suns are one of the oldest teams in the League when just five years ago they were the youngest.

It's just freakin' crazy how shitty his ownership and how shortsighted his vision has been. Very few have called him on this in the media. It's a damn shame how this team has devolved under his guiding hand/iron fist.

A pick sold is a picket lined...

sribb43
03-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Don't worry Suns fans, the Mavs are coming to town on Tuesday so that will be an easy W for you guys....not even lil' Stevie Nash could screw that up

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Very few have called him on this in the media. It's a damn shame how this team has devolved under his guiding hand/iron fist.

It's because the media is just as dumb as most of the fan base. Most Suns fans jumped on the bandwagon in 2004 and didn't watch basketball before. Might seem harsh but that's the reality of it. That's why there's this dumb misconception that Bryan Colangelo was a great GM, because people based it solely off the Nash and Q signing even though he had been a fuck up as GM prior to that off season.

When the first two seasons you pay attention to the NBA the same player wins MVP, you have no perspective or objectivity when judging the player and you wind up defending him blindly, just like most of the idiot Nash T-baggers do.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Don't worry Suns fans, the Mavs are coming to town on Tuesday so that will be an easy W for you guys....not even lil' Stevie Nash could screw that up

The Canadian Cancer will find a way to. He'll make an effort to deny Shaq the ball even though he's the player Dallas can't guard. Gentry will also put Barnes on Dirk because people seem to think Barnes is a good defender, and Dirk will go off.

Ghazi
03-04-2009, 04:36 PM
I really don't think there's a clear cut championship formula, although there are historical trends that you need a big man and great defense.

But there are exceptions here and there. Who was the low post player on the Celtics last year? KG? Too perimeter. Perkins? Not a great big man.

But yes their defense was great.

And who was the low post player on the Mavs in 2006 when they won it all? Dirk? Perimeter. Dampier? Hands of steel and no low post game. And was their defense great? No, it was good but not great.

The Pistons of 2004, great defense. Great defense indeed. But who was their big man who scored in the post? Sheed? Some post up game, but not in the mold of Duncan/Hakeem/Shaq. Wallace? Great defender and rebounder, but not a source of points in the paint. That Pistons team was really just a jump shooting team with great defense. Really.

During one of the Lakers' title runs they won it all with the 15th ranked defense as well.
Run and gun with little emphasis on rebounding and defense can win a championship, it really can.

We saw the Mavs almost do it in 2003, but were slain by a regular season injury to finley, Dirk's playoff injury, and Kerr's bullshit shots.

The Suns almost did it in 2007, but were slain by league technicalities.

Just because it hasn't happened for the Suns, doesn't mean it never was possible.

Who knows what happens if the Suns found a way to keep Johnson.

The Suns of 2005 started 31-4 and had one of the youngest rosters in the league. Who knows if the core was kept in tact and seasoned through the years, plus a few veteran pickups, they could've won it all, even without an elite defense and shoddy rebounding.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 04:47 PM
I really don't think there's a clear cut championship formula, although there are historical trends that you need a big man and great defense.

But there are exceptions here and there. Who was the low post player on the Celtics last year? KG? Too perimeter. Perkins? Not a great big man.

But yes their defense was great.

And who was the low post player on the Mavs in 2006 when they won it all? Dirk? Perimeter. Dampier? Hands of steel and no low post game. And was their defense great? No, it was good but not great.

The Pistons of 2004, great defense. Great defense indeed. But who was their big man who scored in the post? Sheed? Some post up game, but not in the mold of Duncan/Hakeem/Shaq. Wallace? Great defender and rebounder, but not a source of points in the paint. That Pistons team was really just a jump shooting team with great defense. Really.

During one of the Lakers' title runs they won it all with the 15th ranked defense as well.
Run and gun with little emphasis on rebounding and defense can win a championship, it really can.

We saw the Mavs almost do it in 2003, but were slain by a regular season injury to finley, Dirk's playoff injury, and Kerr's bullshit shots.

The Suns almost did it in 2007, but were slain by league technicalities.

Just because it hasn't happened for the Suns, doesn't mean it never was possible.

Who knows what happens if the Suns found a way to keep Johnson.

The Suns of 2005 started 31-4 and had one of the youngest rosters in the league. Who knows if the core was kept in tact and seasoned through the years, plus a few veteran pickups, they could've won it all, even without an elite defense and shoddy rebounding.

Since half of your example didn't even win a championship idk what you expect others to take seriously about that post.

JMarkJohns
03-04-2009, 04:58 PM

Like had the entire team been retained, and their crappy draft pick from the Bulls used on either David Lee or Ronny Turiaf? Then the next year draft Rajon Rondo? Then the next untold number of years have their own 1st to keep adding youth?

My biggest issue with the whole shoulda-woulda-coulda game is that D'Antoni was still coach. No matter how deep the Suns could have been, six players still would have played 30 minutes or more with two playing around 10-t0-15...

That's just how D'Antoni game-managed. He was also pretty inept at developing young players (which is why he was always OK with trading picks). Plus, he never held players accountable for their errant play.

Still... now I'm losing focus of who I truly despise... There was a ton of ways for the 2005 Suns to remain... resign JJ to his generous 6-year, 50 million proposal, retain Hunter, sign Bell, draft Lee, then draft Rondo, retain Barbosa...

Go to battle with...

PG: Nash, Rondo
SG: Bell, Barbosa
SF: Johnson, Richardson
PF: Marion, Lee
C: Amare, Hunter

It's still small, but it's a very good team. And, realistically, this could have been done for roughly the same amount that they had on the books in 2007. Rondo and Lee are still rookie-scale, Barbosa, Bell and Hunter around the MLE or less and because they signed JJ to a roughly 8.5 million per deal, they could afford them. In total, those six players would cost 25 million. Now, in their place... Bell, Barbosa, Banks, Piatkowski and Diaw total 26 million. Never mind the other failed signings like Grant, Burke, Marks and the recent questionable signing of Dragic...

Crazy, huh?! Had they simply done the thing most everyone knew they should have done at the time, I shutter to think of what that team was capable of. Hell, they probably could have traded Richardson to Atlanta for a similar package of Diaw, a 1st and a trade exception if'n they wished. That would have saved them some money and given them another PF, 1st-rounder and maybe would have seen them complete the James Jones deal.

It's just funny how many ways to succeed were presented to Sarver and his ups that were failed to be taken advantage of.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 05:05 PM
JMarks, they acquired the Rondo pick in the JJ trade.

And I'm glad they traded Q-Rich or whatever his nickname was. That guy was a system product and was worthless on a real team.

resistanze
03-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Don't remind me.

There's a balding 30-something year old guy who used be my teaching assistant when I was an undergrad. Fast forward 3-4 years and he's still a TA and I see him every week at the grad student gym.

Imagine being 6'4 - 220 lbs and not being able to post up against 5'9 150lbs players. And he has the need coach everyone else too and decide what are fouls!

Xylus
03-04-2009, 05:24 PM
My least favorite pickup ball stereotype is an subcategory of the Player-Coach: The Player-Coach-Complete Dick.

Basically he's the guy who's really good, the best player on the team, and expects everyone on his team to play at his level. So any mistake that's made (TO, bad shot selection, etc.) and he has to make you feel like shit for it. I can't think of a less productive player than the Player-Coach-Complete Dick.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 05:30 PM
The player-coach is also usually the asshole who gets mad at the big man every time the player-coach bricks a shot he shouldn't have thought of taking and the big man couldn't get the offensive rebound.

He's also the guy that makes a really retarded steal attempt so the guy he's guarding drives right by him, the big man comes to help so the guy misses the shot, but the big man is out position so the guy he was guarding gets a put back, and then the player coach gets mad at the big man for not being able to play help D and box out at the same time.

monosylab1k
03-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey I don't think anybody in this thread has mentioned how many rings the Spurs have. Can somebody do that real quick?

Xylus
03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey I don't think anybody in this thread has mentioned how many rings the Spurs have. Can somebody do that real quick?

The Spurs haven't won a championship yet, but this could be their year.

dirk4mvp
03-04-2009, 05:47 PM
The Spurs haven't won a championship yet, but this could be their year.

I heard they won the NBA tournament in 99, but it didn't count due to not playing a full season.

monosylab1k
03-04-2009, 05:51 PM
I vow that every post I ever make on SpursTalk from here to eternity will include a reference to however many rings the Spurs have. Like right now, the Spurs have 4.

dirk4mvp
03-04-2009, 05:51 PM
I vow that every post I ever make on SpursTalk from here to eternity will include a reference to however many rings the Spurs have. Like right now, the Spurs have 4.

Do you see the Thunder winning 4 rings like the Spurs?

monosylab1k
03-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Do you see the Thunder winning 4 rings like the Spurs?

With Durant, they could win 5 or 6 rings, but 6 for the Thunder isn't as good as 4 for the Spurs.

-SpursHaveFourRings

Xylus
03-04-2009, 05:58 PM
monosyl4bik

Warlord23
03-04-2009, 05:59 PM
We should rename this forum to the "Four rings faggot! forum"

LakeShow
03-04-2009, 05:59 PM
:lol I see that pickup games are the same all over the world.

The one that I hate the most is the one that has been getting scored on all day, telling you to d-up???? You give up a basket and they act like it was the turning point in the game. Never mind that his man just scored 20 points by himself. Kind of like when Dirk was lit up by Marion for 38pts 17rebounds (or something like that) in the playoffs a few seasons ago and had a sissy fit when Terry was scored on by Nash.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 06:10 PM
If Marion had 38 points that means he had 32 more points than the Spurs have rings.

38 > 4

IronMexican
03-04-2009, 06:11 PM
monosyl4bik

Burn!

dirk4mvp
03-04-2009, 06:12 PM
My username is actually a subliminal message.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 06:14 PM
My username is actually a subliminal message.

:lmao

de Soto
03-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Not important? Well, good. Because it isn't gonna happen anyway.:toast

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 06:22 PM

Don't speak unless spoken to pinky.

monosylab1k
03-04-2009, 06:24 PM
The one that I hate the most is the one that has been getting scored on all day, telling you to d-up???? You give up a basket and they act like it was the turning point in the game.

Probably cuz you're the suckass guy that nobody on the team really wanted, so they put you on the other team's suckass guy and all you needed to do was keep their suckass from scoring any points, which probably wouldn't have been a problem except you're a bigger suckass than he is.

-SpursHaveFourRings

Red Hawk #21

Wait a minute, now you're riding the Suns dick?

JMarkJohns
JMarks, they acquired the Rondo pick in the JJ trade.

And I'm glad they traded Q-Rich or whatever his nickname was. That guy was a system product and was worthless on a real team.

Oops... I forgot that part.

EDIT: OK, then, worst-case is they have Sergio Rodriguez...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Oops... I forgot that part.

EDIT: OK, then, worst-case is they have Sergio Rodriguez...

Ya and they wouldn't have Lopez which is a plus in and of itself.

anonoftheinternets
03-04-2009, 06:38 PM
pick up bball sterotypes:
11 Guys You'll Always Find Playing Pickup Basketball
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgZ-KQKrzZ0

LakeShow
03-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Probably cuz you're the suckass guy that nobody on the team really wanted, so they put you on the other team's suckass guy and all you needed to do was keep their suckass from scoring any points, which probably wouldn't have been a problem except you're a bigger suckass than he is.

-SpursHaveFourRings

Sounds like Dirks assignments. :lol