http://www.nba.com/media/suns/sarver_closeup_230.jpg

http://www.sandiegometro.com/images/sarver.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/suns/sarver_smiles_125.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/suns/sarver_colangelo_300.jpg

http://narfrescue.org/animals/cats/cat_pics/print/chicken%20in%20house.JPG

GrandeDavid
03-10-2005, 08:20 AM
:lol

That guy may be loaded with cash, but he lacks class, looks like he can't dance a lick and resembles a genetic cross between Steve Kerr and Ron Howard...less the athletic skillz.

Spurs Biggest Fan
03-10-2005, 11:09 AM
:lol

That guy may be loaded with cash, but he lacks class, looks like he can't dance a lick and resembles a genetic cross between Steve Kerr and Ron Howard...less the athletic skillz.

More like Dogie Howser and Woody Harelson :lol

samikeyp
03-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Now we know what happens to Napoleon Dynamite.

Solid D
03-10-2005, 11:18 AM
I didn't see this guy flapping his arms. Was it friendly pre-game banter, or was this guy seriously doing this because he was upset? Only those who saw it need reply.

TNT21
03-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey, at least he has a nice mullet!!

Walton Buys Off Me
03-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Dick's probably so small he pisses on his nuts......

Solid D
03-10-2005, 12:26 PM
I didn't see this guy flapping his arms. Was it friendly pre-game banter, or was this guy seriously doing this because he was upset?

Well, I saw the quote about Sarver being livid and yelling "Varsity, Varsity, Varsity" so that just about sums it up for me.

davi78239
03-10-2005, 12:31 PM
He looks like an Ass!

exstatic
03-10-2005, 12:35 PM
I'll bet that Sean and Kerr are both heaving HUGE sighs of relief that they didn't establish ties with this tool and his team.

Kori Ellis
03-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Isn't Kerr still part of the ownership group?

exstatic
03-10-2005, 12:40 PM
I thought both he and Sean were intially approached, were interested, but utimately declined?

ShoogarBear
03-10-2005, 12:40 PM
I thought Kerr actually went in; Sean didn't.

exstatic
03-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Poor Steve.

Jimcs50
03-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Neither Kerr or Sean are involved with Phoenix...the deal never went down.

Matrix
03-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Not sure what I think of this guy yet. I don't want another Cuban, but I am enjoying the product he's selling, But he's definatly no Jerry...

Kori Ellis
03-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Neither Kerr or Sean are involved with Phoenix...the deal never went down.

Sorry, but you are wrong.

STEVE KERR
Minority Owner and Consultant

A five-time NBA champion and 15-year veteran as a player, Steve Kerr, returns to the organization where he began his professional career.

Kerr was a Suns’ second selection in the 1988 NBA Draft (50th overall) after a stellar four-year collegiate career at the University of Arizona. Kerr, who is the league’s all-time leader in career three-point field goal percentage, with a .454 mark (726-1599), played his rookie season in the NBA with Phoenix in 1988-89.

Kerr won three NBA Titles with the Chicago Bulls (1996, 1997 and 1998) and was a member of both San Antonio Spurs NBA Championship Teams (1999 and 2003). Kerr, who retired after the 2002-03 season, appeared in 910 regular season games, averaging 6.0 points, 1.8 assist and 1.2 rebounds per contests.

This past season Kerr was an NBA analyst for Turner Sports and worked in the Spurs broadcasting booth.

Kerr currently serves on the Board of Directors of Boys Hope Girls Hope of San Antonio.

Kerr, who was born in Beirut, Lebanon on Sept. 27, 1965, earned his degree in general studies from Arizona with emphases in History, English and Sociology in 1988.

He and wife, Margot, have three children, Nicholas, Madeleine and Matthew.

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/kerr_bio.html

Summers
03-10-2005, 01:15 PM
:oops Am I the only one who doesn't get what "Varsity!" means? What was he saying? Was he calling them a high-school team? :lol

Matrix
03-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Wow Kori quick with the research, I guess thats why you do what you do

ShoogarBear
03-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Somewhat weird thing is Kerr mentioned the other night that he and his family now live in San Diego? Doesn't seem like a place with (obvious) ties for him.

:oops Am I the only one who doesn't get what "Varsity!" means? What was he saying? Was he calling them a high-school team? :lol

He was implying that the Spurs were only sending out the JV squad to play the Suns. He wanted them to play the "Varsity", i.e. Tim and Manu. Really backfired on him, in retrospect.

It's one thing to be a bigmouth taunter. It's another thing to be a lame bigmouth taunter.

Summers
03-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Ah... I get it now. Thanks! :)

In that case it makes me think of the old adage, be careful what you wish for. ;)

Ishta
03-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Now we know what happens to Napoleon Dynamite.

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :

SirChaz
03-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Somewhat weird thing is Kerr mentioned the other night that he and his family now live in San Diego? Doesn't seem like a place with (obvious) ties for him.

Sarver has business ties with both Tucson and San Diego. I think Sarver has been aquainted with Lute Olsen's program and Steve Kerr for a while.

I don't know that Sarver would have invested in the Suns without a 'basketball' guy he is familiar with like Steve Kerr.

I know of many Suns fans that are not impressed with his antics. To me he is a rookie owner and I am cutting him some slack.

BTW Jerry Colangelo is still the managing partner of the franchise for 2 or 3 more years. Bryan Colangelo is still the GM.

Solid D
03-10-2005, 03:27 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/suns/ownership_presser_585.jpg

ShoogarBear
03-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Good God!

Sarver looks like . . . Steve Kerr!!

Kori Ellis
03-10-2005, 04:21 PM
BTW Jerry Colangelo is still the managing partner of the franchise for 2 or 3 more years.

Yeah I knew that, but it's not his ship anymore. He's a quality guy and I'm very well acquainted with him and his family. I hope Sarver doesn't become a bad owner; maybe he's still learning. The people of Phoenix deserve better than his behavior last night.

Solid D
03-10-2005, 04:31 PM
The Suns need to do like FSP/Spurstalk.com did a few weeks ago......and upgrade their Sarver.

timvp
03-10-2005, 05:07 PM
The Suns need to do like FSP/Spurstalk.com did a few weeks ago......and upgrade their Sarver.

:lmao

Solid D
03-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Sarver never worked at DQ nor gave away a million dollars on TV. He's got a long way to go to get to the Cuban level of Yellow Ownership (see Yellow Journalism).

Rummpd
03-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Class does not equal extreme wealth. It is earned not bought.

Sarver is just a boorish rich guy.

mikaela01
03-11-2005, 12:23 AM
who's sarver??

orhe
03-11-2005, 12:36 AM
who's sarver??

the new majority owner of the suns :)

JMarkJohns
03-11-2005, 02:41 AM
First time post...

I have a couple questions to ask as a Suns fan.

First, what was your first reaction when you learned that Pops was sitting both Duncan and Ginobli?

Were you upset?

Why?

I'll tell you I was livid. I know the importance of the game and realize the brilliance of the move, but that's not stepping up. That's not being the Championship team the the Spurs are and that's not confirming their worthiness of being favorite this year.

To me, it was chicken. I understand that both had nagging injuries. Play through them. Steve Nah played through his. Richardson had missed a game recently with injury, he started (before the concussion)...

If for nothing, to not cheat the fans.

I'm not a fan of Cuban, I'm not yet a fan of Sarver, but I admire the fact that he called out what he saw as cowardess.

While I agree he may have been annoying, he hardly did anything Cuban-esque. He flapped his wings and yelled varsity, both only after he asked Pops to reconsider.

When Pops refused and went through with his plan, Sarver called attention to it's lameness.

Sure, he acted the fool, I don't question that.

But he called it for what it was and for that he's bad-mouthed on the Spurs board? What? It was your coach who all but conceded the victory last night. He should be the focus of anger.

Afterall, he was the one who denied all fans the game they expected, anticipated and even paid for.

Which is worse?

Warlord23
03-11-2005, 03:58 AM
Look, we respect your team and all, but if Duncan's knee swells up and Manu is battered and Pop thinks that he wants them in full strength for the last mile, then sorry buddy ... doesn't matter if it's a date with the Suns or the Harlem Globetrotters or the Beatles ... they ain't showing up .... and nobody here will shed any tears over you "cheated Phoenix fans" calling us chicken

Duncan wanted to play, Pop overruled him .. not the first time it's happened. Get over it, it's not an insult to your team or your fans ... we want the Larry O'Brien ... am sure you'll have something to say about that .. we can settle it in the WCF. Stop sulking and enjoy the race for HCA in the playoffs

Ishta
03-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Look, we respect your team and all, but if Duncan's knee swells up and Manu is battered and Pop thinks that he wants them in full strength for the last mile, then sorry buddy ... doesn't matter if it's a date with the Suns or the Harlem Globetrotters or the Beatles ... they ain't showing up .... and nobody here will shed any tears over you "cheated Phoenix fans" calling us chicken

Duncan wanted to play, Pop overruled him .. not the first time it's happened. Get over it, it's not an insult to your team or your fans ... we want the Larry O'Brien ... am sure you'll have something to say about that .. we can settle it in the WCF. Stop sulking and enjoy the race for HCA in the playoffs

I totally agree. If Pop doesn't want someone to play they won't BOTTOM LINE. I was a little PO'd that Time&Manu didn't play against the suns at FIRST. After I had time to think about it, a few things came to mind.
First the Spurs played a pretty damn good game w/out their 2 allstars.
Secondly those two same allstars were able to get the rest we all know they needed, and deserved. And lastly, it made me realize how much that move would mess with people.. The Spurs are a good team, and if they would have made all of their free throws...... That game WITHOUT Tim and Manu would have been a W for us.. If I was a fan for the Suns or any other team,that's what I would be concerned about. :eyebrows

SirChaz
03-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Sarver addresses ‘chicken’ flap
By Mike Tulumello, Tribune

After rethinking the matter, incoming Suns owner Robert Sarver — who flapped his arms at the San Antonio Spurs Wednesday night to indicate the
Spurs were "chicken" in not playing their best players — suggests he might have acted differently.

"Had I had it to do over again, maybe," he said Thursday. "I was just upset and disappointed."

Because fans were expecting a big game vs. the Spurs, who pulled All-Stars Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili an hour before tip-off because of injuries, "The game was a downer," he said.

"I was mad at ‘em," he admitted. "I was giving them a hard time."

"Our fans pay a lot of money," he said. "Everyone was expecting a big-time game. I was disappointed."

Sarver said he still believes if Duncan and Ginobili were hurt or needed to rest, they should have done so Tuesday night vs. New Jersey, "a team they were going to beat anyway."

He wasn’t sure if the Spurs’ decision to rest them against the Suns was a psychological ploy — that the move made a Suns’ win much less meaningful — but that, "It wasn’t what the fans expected."

The Suns eked out a 107-101 over the Spurs.

At the season’s start, Sarver said he would be an enthusiastic fan but that he would never do anything disrespectful to another team.

Sarver indicated he respects the Spurs and shook Ginobili’s hand and congratulated him for having "one of the best games I’ve ever seen" when he scored 48 points against the Suns in January.

Suns chairman Jerry Colangelo, who is in the process of selling the team to Sarver, said Sarver "responded appropriately" in saying he might have acted differently.

"He’s a big fan," Colangelo said. "He really is. This will be a learning process for him."

Colangelo was not at the game. Asked if he would call Spurs officials on the matter, he said, "I need to get more information and talk to the appropriate people."

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=37787

Spurbanana
03-11-2005, 10:38 AM
The Suns and their fans need to quit defending his behavior. It was immature, no question.

ShoogarBear
03-11-2005, 11:50 AM
1. I haven't really seen any Suns fans defend Sarver's behavior. Certainly not on this board.

2. Sounds like the light came on in Chicken Bob's head. Or maybe Colangelo had a back-room discussion with him.

3. The CIA Pop rationalizations aside, I think all true basketball fans were let down at not seeing a game between two teams at full strength. Hell, we'd been hyping the game here for the past two weeks.

milkyway21
03-12-2005, 12:49 AM
okay, we spurs fans were so upset of Sarver's behavior the other night. We hated him for that :cuss.
But, the Suns are not the Lakers who put an *** on the Spurs championship title in 1999, who called the Spurs "Spuritis" when we lost to them twice in the playoffs. They don't have ShaQ & Phil who told the media Duncan didn't deserve his 2 regular season MVP's.
It's about time we hear his side on the issue of calling TD/Manu "chickens"

Suns, Spurs getting feisty
Mike Monroe

Let's hope the Suns and Spurs meet in the Western Conference playoffs, which at this point in the season looks like it would have to be in the conference finals.

Not only would it pit the teams that have the league's best records heading into the weekend, but it's starting to look like there is a bit of ill will brewing between them — and you can blame new Suns owner Robert Sarver for getting the pot boiling.

Sarver has made a splash at America West Arena this season, joining the club's gorilla mascot for skits and, in one game, dunking off a trampoline during a time out — all in fun, and Sarver's enthusiasm has been accepted by Suns fans. :lol

But Sarver may have gone over the line before Wednesday's Suns-Spurs game when he flapped his cocked arms and yelled "chicken" at Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili when they came out dressed in street clothes, instead of their uniforms.
The Suns won the game, 107-101, but not before the Spurs put a scare into them with a makeshift lineup, with three reserves logging their season highs in minutes played.

Afterwards, Suns Coach Mike D'Antoni was unhappy with his team's effort against a team it badly needed to gain some sort of an edge on, and the Spurs' two All-Stars had another reason to be motivated beyond the usual level should they see the Suns in a playoff series.

The day after, Sarver seemed to have second thoughts.

"Had I had it to do over again, maybe," :rolleyes .Sarver told Phoenix reporters who asked him if he regretted what he had done. "I was just upset and disappointed." :rolleyes

Sarver said he was disappointed for Suns fans who had come to America West Arena expecting a "big-time game." He said he made a point of shaking hands with Ginobili and congratulating him on the 48-point game he had when the Spurs beat the Suns in overtime in January. :angel

Implications that the Spurs had intentionally tried to play mind games with the Suns were ironic, in light of Suns coach Mike D'Antoni's pledge the day before the game that he would not risk playing Steve Nash in the final weeks of the regular season to the detriment of Nash's health come playoff time.

"We're not going to finish first (in the West) and wear Steve Nash out," D'Antoni said. We have other objectives first, and we're going to take care of those. We want to finish first, but not at all costs."

The regular season series between the two teams is over, with the Spurs winning, 2-1, so there will be no game of "chicken" between them until the playoffs arrive.

...i like that gesture him congratulating Manu...you think he deserves forgiveness from Spurs' fans? the other day the Suns topped the votes in "most hated team". or is it now back to the Lakers? :rolleyes

thoughts?

kskonn
03-12-2005, 02:01 AM
I still remember His interview in the second game where the suns had the big lead and popped had the net replaced. He talked a lot of trash and then proceeded to watch a great come back. You think he would have learned at the point to keep your mouth shut and not do or say anything you would might regret later.

Besides if nash or stoudemire had been bruised up, would the have played? If it sacrificed their ultimate success of the season I don't think they would have. Hopefully no coach would be that stupid.

cqsallie
03-12-2005, 02:57 AM
"Our fans pay a lot of money," he said. "Everyone was expecting a big-time game. I was disappointed."

How disappointing for the fans when the Suns won a closely contested game against the Spurs on their home court by 6 points! What did Suns fans want? A Spurs' blow-out on their home court?
Geez! Take the win and run with it as fast as you can!
But, as for those Spurs fans who consider a 6-point loss a moral victory....
Wrong! A loss is a loss is a loss. We lost the damned game, no matter how you figure and configure it. Who cares if it was mind-play on the part of CIA Pop, or stupid? Only time will tell...
Wouldn't we all have preferred a win? :rolleyes

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-12-2005, 04:18 PM
During a timeout of the Suns game I went to last month he ran up to the basket and jumped up to hit the net, like a little kid. He barely got thread! :lol

The person who went to the game with me said "who was that?!"

"Oh, I think that's the Suns' idiot owner." Then I shouted "Nice hangtime...you worthless piece of crap!!" as I motioned the beer vendor over to buy another pint.

Suns fans loved me.

td4mvp21
03-12-2005, 04:24 PM
First time post...

I have a couple questions to ask as a Suns fan.

First, what was your first reaction when you learned that Pops was sitting both Duncan and Ginobli?

Were you upset?

Why?

I'll tell you I was livid. I know the importance of the game and realize the brilliance of the move, but that's not stepping up. That's not being the Championship team the the Spurs are and that's not confirming their worthiness of being favorite this year.

To me, it was chicken. I understand that both had nagging injuries. Play through them. Steve Nah played through his. Richardson had missed a game recently with injury, he started (before the concussion)...

If for nothing, to not cheat the fans.

I'm not a fan of Cuban, I'm not yet a fan of Sarver, but I admire the fact that he called out what he saw as cowardess.

While I agree he may have been annoying, he hardly did anything Cuban-esque. He flapped his wings and yelled varsity, both only after he asked Pops to reconsider.

When Pops refused and went through with his plan, Sarver called attention to it's lameness.

Sure, he acted the fool, I don't question that.

But he called it for what it was and for that he's bad-mouthed on the Spurs board? What? It was your coach who all but conceded the victory last night. He should be the focus of anger.

Afterall, he was the one who denied all fans the game they expected, anticipated and even paid for.

Which is worse?

that isnt cowardice buddy its called good strategy. Yeah, we might of lost with TD and GInobili, and the fans paid alot of money to see the game, but nothing is ever guaranteed to them. That was their foolishness to buy $1500 tickets for a single regular season game. O by the way, havent we already beat yall twice? I wouldn't call that cowardice. they needed rest, and they got it. It sure is gonna mess with their minds. They havent even beat us at full strength(which they could in theh playoffs). Just lay off the hate machine.