PDA

View Full Version : Spurs.com: My First Spurs Game (duncan228 article)

timvp
03-04-2009, 03:10 PM
SpursTalk's own duncan228 wrote an article published on Spurs.com that chronicled her first Spurs game. Props to duncan228, spursdotcom and Spurs.com :tu

Go to Spurs.com (http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/090305_myfirstspursgame.html) for the full story and the pictures.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/090305_myfirstspursgame.html

My First Spurs Game

Spurs fans are a die-hard and loyal bunch. We've been contacted by some who have said they haven't missed a game since the Spurs moved to San Antonio.

However, the Spurs have grown way out of the boundaries of 410 and 1604. You can find Spurs fans all across the world and many of these fans have never seen their team play in person.

This was the case of one Spurs fan in California. Her username is duncan228 and she can be found on the popular Spurs message board Spurstalk.com. Little did duncan228 know that random acts of kindness from strangers would put her in seats in the STAPLES Center to watch the Spurs play the Clippers. This is her story.

Do you have a Spurs story? Tell us! (http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/your_story.html)

-------------------------

I was given a gift last night.

I’m a long time Tim Duncan fan and the Spurs are my team. I’ve been to a lot of NBA games, but I was never able to see the Spurs. That changed, due to the kindness of strangers.

One stranger reached out to me earlier this season after reading on SpursTalk that I had never been to a Spurs game. He then asked a friend to see if it was possible to get me tickets when the Spurs came to LA. The friend contacted another friend in LA about the request.

I was contacted again, this time by the friend. He told me that the LA connection was able to come up with a couple of tickets to the Spurs/Clippers game and they would be left at will call for me.

I don’t remember being as nervous as I was driving to LA. After so many years of wanting to see Duncan play in person, it was happening.

My plan was to get in early enough to try to get an autograph, but it seemed that couldn’t happen. Will call doesn't open until two hours before the event, and the doors don’t open until 6:15 p.m, for a 7:30 tip off.

But little did I know that the gifts from strangers would keep coming.

The box office allowed me to pick up the tickets 30 minutes early. That's when another stranger appeared, in person this time. I’ll never know why but he offered to get me in early. He led me through the VIP/Press entrance and he disappeared.

The arena was empty. I made my way to a tunnel to see what was happening on the court. It took me just a second to spot Duncan. He was on the floor running through his game. A few others were out there with him, Roger Mason Jr., Chip Engelland, Will Sevening with Ime Udoka sitting on the sidelines.

I was able to walk down to the first row and sat at the first seat, next to the basket. For 30 minutes I watched Duncan run through his pregame routine. It was like a private performance.

Duncan was focused, watching him work like that lets you see the effort it takes to be the player he is. The repetition of running through each part until he was at least somewhat satisfied with the result he was getting. The obvious frustration when his shot didn’t fall the way he wanted it to. The care he put into every move he made.

Toward the end of his work out, Bruce Bowen came onto the court. They laughed and teased, Duncan pushed him into the bench. It was fun to see the guys being loose with each other.

Watching Duncan during that 30 minutes will stay with me forever. It’s something I never dreamed I’d have the opportunity to see. It’s where the heart of the game I love lies. The behind the spotlight work that not many get to witness.

I moved to the edge of the tunnel when Duncan was done and got my Sharpie out. Maybe I could get luckier still.

I did.

Duncan stopped for me as he left the court, signed my Go Spurs Go Banner and my jersey.

Considering how awed I was from what I’d just seen, I think I did pretty good to get “Thank you so much” out.

After all that, there was still the game to watch.

The arena was starting to fill up, though not sold out, it was rocking. There were a ton of Spurs fans, people in jerseys and T-shirts. We Spurs fans were almost as loud as the Clippers fans.

The Clippers fans were wonderful, we were all NBA fans cheering on our teams and I saw no smack talk between fans. The Clippers fan in front of me passed me a pair of noise sticks. He laughed as he handed them to me. “They’re Clippers sticks, you may not want to use them,” he said.

I can only imagine what seeing the Spurs play at home is like, but the Clippers fans made me feel right at home.

Having had this team in my living room for so many years, it was incredible to finally see them live. Seeing ‘your’ team in person is a lot different than watching them on TV. It’s amazing how much of the game you miss on TV.

The team came out focused for the pregame shoot around, but they were light and smiling. They played with each other, they laughed and teased. However, their concentration was intense. They make it look so easy, but of course there’s a lot of work that went into making it "look easy."

That team chemistry you hear about is a real thing. It flows through the entire game, regardless of which five are on the court for the Spurs. They communicate with each other constantly. They help each other. They correct someone out of position. They congratulate a good play.

My focus was primarily on Duncan when he was on the floor, but this is my team and they were all wonderful to see live. Some things stood out to me that are hard to pick up from watching the Spurs on TV.

Tony Parker is even faster than he looks on TV, and in every way. Forwards, backwards, sideways. It’s amazing to watch him drive into the paint, bouncing off anyone in his way.

Bruce Bowen is a defensive pest and his defense is game changing. What a delight to watch in action.

Kurt Thomas, Matt Bonner and Fabricio Oberto are all bulldogs. They’re not afraid of the ‘dirty’ work. They get in there and battle.

Michael Finley has an incredible shooting stroke. His three point shots in the third quarter broke the game open.

Roger Mason Jr. and Malik Hairston bring hustle and energy to every play.

George Hill has been wonderful to watch grow with this team. He’s poised and confident, pretty cool for a rookie.

And then there’s Duncan. We all know what a great player he is, but he’s even better live. He leads this team in every way for the entire game. He’s more vocal than people think; he guides his team constantly. His footwork is incredible, his timing is precise. He’s powerful; he’s driven to win.

It's still hard to believe I finally got to see the Spurs. It was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. And it was a gift from strangers, that made it even sweeter.

thispego
03-04-2009, 03:11 PM
is duncan228 the red haired lady?

crc21209
03-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Wow what a great story! And now its even made it on Spurs.com! How cool! I'm happy for you Duncan228. You deserve it, ever since I joined this forum you have been one of the best and devoted posters on here. And I agree with every word you said, it is amazing to see your team live for the first time in person, I have been to more than a handful of games since 2002, but most recently I took my girlfriend to her first real Spurs game against New Jersey in January and she loved it. If only I was so lucky to get Timmy's autograph! Damn it! lol.

traitoravery
03-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Great Stuff!!!!

Spursmania
03-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Awesome!

Muser
Wow, excellent read. That's one of my goals in life, to watch the Spurs, being in England doesn't help, but one day.

Thanks duncan228 :)

Cry Havoc
I'm happy to see you made it to a Spurs game, D228. You, probably more than anyone else on the board, deserved to have your shot at seeing Duncan play.

When I saw the Spurs for the first time, I got pretty close for the pre-game warm-ups. It was incredible. Seeing all the players laughing and joking endears you in a way that you won't get with color commentary. I also thought Finley had the best looking shot of anyone in a Spurs uni. It's so smooth, I can't imagine how he doesn't make every shot he takes.

Thanks for posting this here, Timvp. It gave me something to really smile about today.

You fans living in San Antonio, count yourself as lucky that you have a chance to go see the Spurs play whenever time and/or money permits. I wish I was that lucky. We have a special group of guys in that city, and I don't know that I've ever felt as bonded to a group of sports stars. :toast

Props to everyone involved in getting D228 to have her night with the Spurs.

urunobili
03-04-2009, 03:19 PM
There you go duncan228!!!

I'll take the chance to say THANK YOU for all what you do for us! :)

Thompson
03-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Great article, you're a good writer. It's great that you have the mementos also now.

Galileo
03-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Great job, duncan228!!

lefty
03-04-2009, 03:24 PM
:tu :tu :tu :wow

Congrats 228

Next thing you know, she'll be hired by NBA.com and forget about us :lol

And she'll start posting her own articles this time :D

MoSpur
03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
It just gets better and better. Awesome read. Props to spursdotcom for coming through like this.

Michi_Germany
03-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Great article! Thanks for sharing your feelings with us!

J.T.
03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
is duncan228 the red haired lady?

If not then 228 just took whottt's place as the hardest ST member to photograph.

Spursfan092120
03-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Wow...you should be a reporter..if you're not already..lol

Spurs Brazil
03-04-2009, 03:34 PM
SpursTalk's own duncan228 wrote an article published on Spurs.com that chronicled her first Spurs game. Props to duncan228, spursdotcom and Spurs.com

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

angel_luv
03-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Awesome Duncan228! Well done! Congrats. :)

baseline bum
03-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Awesome article, duncan228. When I was a kid I used to love showing up to the games to watch the greats practice almost as much as I did seeing them in-game. Also I agree that TV doesn't do a great job showing how physical the game really is as compared to when you see it live.

Xylus
03-04-2009, 03:38 PM
I've been to 3 Spurs games in my lifetime, and all 3 were extremely painful experiences as a Suns fan. Thank you, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Bruce Bowen. I hate you all.

ManuTP9
03-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Congrats ! duncan228

ManuTP9
03-04-2009, 03:39 PM
I've been to 3 Spurs games in my lifetime, and all 3 were extremely painful experiences as a Suns fan. Thank you, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Bruce Bowen. I hate you all.

:lmao

tp2021
03-04-2009, 03:41 PM
duncan228 FOR THE MOTHER FUCKING WIN!

MacGyver
03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks d228! :)

I've a feeling your life is gonna change :tu

Xylus
03-04-2009, 03:44 PM
I forgot to congratulate duncan228 on a job well done. The excitement from her experience of seeing her first Spurs game (and Timmah) pour from the article. Good read. :tu

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-04-2009, 03:47 PM
What a great read. I can't help but smile at the enthusiasm that shines through in it.

stxspurs
03-04-2009, 03:48 PM
congrats D228...great read. its easy to take advantage little things like a bball game...i was lucky to have season tix last championship and loved every minute of it. as a fan of the spurs and native of san antonio ive been able to go to a game whenever.. ive often seen duncan on the floor going thru pregame workout....and ive heard it explained like that. thanks for your thoughts! i hope u get to go to more games.

angel_luv
03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
The box office allowed me to pick up the tickets 30 minutes early. That's when another stranger appeared, in person this time. I’ll never know why but he offered to get me in early. He led me through the VIP/Press entrance and he disappeared.

Sounds like an angel. :)

ashbeeigh
03-04-2009, 03:59 PM
That was an awesome read Duncan228! You're such a sweetheart. You deserved every single thing that happened that night! I hope it continues for you.

jdev82
03-04-2009, 04:04 PM
who all has seen the spurs play that doesnt live in texas?

thispego
03-04-2009, 04:14 PM
you bastards are giving me a cavity

timvp
03-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Put on your tinfoil hat and check this out:

Duncan finished the game with 18 points, 12 rebounds, six assists, three steals, two blocks and one turnover. If you multiply his points and rebounds and then add his number of assists, steals, blocks and turnovers, guess what number you get?

:wow :smokin :drunk

whottt
03-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Is the redhaired girl tall? duncan228 is like 6'2 or something.

Nice report and congrats on going to the game 228 :tu

whottt
03-04-2009, 04:20 PM
I just looked at the pics...that girl looks tall, she's taller than that dude, so that could definitely be duncan228.

duncan228
03-04-2009, 04:21 PM

Duncan finished the game with 18 points, 12 rebounds, six assists, three steals, two blocks and one turnover. If you multiply his points and rebounds and then add his number of assists, steals, blocks and turnovers, guess what number you get?

I don't want to know how you figured this out, but I'm glad you did.
Sweet. :)

And yes, that's me with the hair.

IronMexican
03-04-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't want to know how you figured this out, but I'm glad you did.
Sweet. :)

Crap, I always thought you were balled. Anyways, good article.

whottt
03-04-2009, 04:26 PM

duncan228=firehaired amazon :smokin

CubanMustGo
03-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Look out, McDonald, the E-N's gonna replace you with 228.

baseline bum
03-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Look out, McDonald, the E-N's gonna replace you with 228.

Hope so, although I think ducks would be an upgrade over McDonald.

Flux451
03-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Why never before?

Awesome!!

Felt as if I was right there with you. Some day I hope to see a game. I bought tickets with my then girlfriend to a SAC game in SA in 2003 but we broke up and I couldn't afford the trip. BLASTS!!!!

spursdotcom
03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Already posted this in the other thread but just wanted to convey the same thing in this one.

:toast

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3163423#post3163423

duncan228 documented her experience and was kind enough to share it with us all :)

Thanks d228 you're awesome and we're glad you had such a great time at the game!

:toast

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Hope so, although I think ducks would be an upgrade over McDonald.

I have no beef with McDonald, but I would pay good money to see that column.

porscha
03-04-2009, 04:56 PM
That was awesome

remingtonbo2001
03-04-2009, 04:58 PM
:toast Congrats duncan228!

Bigzax
03-04-2009, 05:04 PM
great read! congrats! :toast

Bruno
03-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Nice article. :tu

timvp
03-04-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't want to know how you figured this out, Duncan must be good at math :smokin

DMX7
03-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Wow, excellent read. That's one of my goals in life, to watch the Spurs, being in England doesn't help, but one day.

Thanks duncan228 :)

NBA wants a team in London so maybe one day in the future. Otherwise, NBA is coming to London for preseason games but I'm not sure if Spurs will be there anytime in the future.

quentin_compson
03-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks for sharing, duncan228. Great story! :toast

SPURTRON
03-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Not to steal anyone"s thunder (duncan 228). But my 12 yr. old son and I were at that Clippers game. It was our first Spurs game ever! Very exciting! Im originally from south Texas but never had the chance to see the Spurs play. Now I live just north of L.A. and I went. Go figure!? Anyway, we had great seats, had on our Spurs gear and surprisingly there were a lot of Spurs fans.
Watching Parker and Duncan light up the Clippers was awesome! Parker"s nickname should be "Flash" cause he blew right past defenders like they were standing still!.
My son and I plan on going to see the Spurs when they come to town next time!!

GO>SPURS>GO

P.S. Awesome story duncan228!! Congrats!

lefty
03-04-2009, 06:40 PM

Man, it's really easy to get tickets for Clippers games; they really don't care about that team :lol

Agloco
03-04-2009, 06:41 PM

:lol:lol:lol

Sec24Row7
03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Awesome!!! congrats!

manufor3
03-04-2009, 07:18 PM
D228, you should be a reporter. Maybe write some spurstalk articles of your own

DannyT
03-04-2009, 07:21 PM
duncan228 is a chick.....?

Congrats girl hope you have another orgasm at a spurs game soon

Yorae
03-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Wow.....don't let spurs.com pirate one of our members....nooooooohhh!!!!!!!

Nice read. :lol

Thompson
03-04-2009, 07:26 PM

That's not all; Duncan at one point made a strange effort to scrunch up the '1' on his jersey, making it somewhat resemble a '2'... while conveniently standing next to Roger Mason...

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/17/fullj.0821936e98ce07a2f43567045e523582/0821936e98ce07a2f43567045e523582-getty-82990960ng007_spurs_clips.jpg

228! :wow

ChumpDumper
03-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Nice article :tu

Summers
03-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Nice read 228; and congrats! :)

The Great Fantastic
03-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Great story! Your excitement is contagious. I can't wait for the Spurs to whoop the Mavs collective ass tonight!!!!

NRHector
03-04-2009, 08:01 PM
I've been to 3 Spurs games in my lifetime, and all 3 were extremely painful experiences as a Suns fan. Thank you, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Bruce Bowen. I hate you all.hate is such a strong word, I think is more like envy, :lobt:envy that is:flag:

DynastyBuilder
03-04-2009, 08:33 PM
:wow :tu:tu:tu

SpursFanFirst
03-04-2009, 08:41 PM
who all has seen the spurs play that doesnt live in texas?

I have, and I'll do it again when they come back in April. I can't wait!

Congrats, Duncan228. It sounds like you had a great time.

duncan228
03-04-2009, 08:45 PM
This has been an incredible experience for me, from the first reach to me back in November, through today with this piece out.

Sharing it with all of you has made it even sweeter. Thanks.