PDA

View Full Version : msn.foxsports.com: How will Gooden, Smith impact new teams?

ulosturedge
03-04-2009, 05:04 PM
How will Gooden, Smith impact new teams?
by Charlie Rosen Broth

Straight Shooting

Both Drew Gooden and Joe Smith have benefited from the NBA's waive-and-sign procedures. Once he clears waivers, Gooden is reportedly moving from the lottery-bound Kings to the Spurs, a team that harbors legitimate championship hopes. Smith goes from another losing team, the Thunder, to Boston's primary challenger in the East, the Cavs.

Let's investigate what impact these two veteran big men will have on their new teams.

GOODEN: At 6-10, 240, he's a sizable addition to the Spurs frontcourt. He can post-up with a certain degree of efficiency, mostly employing right-handed jump hooks and turnaround jumpers over his right shoulder. He likes the left box and works hard to establish and maintain his position there.

Gooden's face-up shooting range is 18-20 feet, but his shot is erratic. He can handle some and looks to drive right and then spin.

He works hard on defense but can be easily taken by quicker opponents who can put the ball on the floor.

But the most notable aspect of Gooden's game is his rebounding prowess at both ends of the court. And this is where he'll prove to be of most value for the Spurs -- along with providing six additional fouls.

Making accurate passes is not one of Gooden's virtues, nor is his ability to make appropriate decisions on defensive rotations.

But given the stringent demands of Pop's system, Gooden will learn and do whatever is necessary to earn his playing time. He's certainly (somewhat) more athletic and much more versatile than Fabricio Oberto.
GRADE: B

JOE SMITH: Even though Smith is still four months away from his 34th birthday, the 6-10, 230-pound power forward has lost much of his game. Indeed, he's the oldest 33-year-old in the league.

Whereas he used to command an effective variety of up-and-under moves in the low post, his rare pivotal production has been reduced to hooks to the middle and jumpers to the baseline. Otherwise, Smith has become almost exclusively a reliable mid-range jump shooter. His ability to screen-and-pop, however, means that LeBron can run the same type of plays with Smith as he does with Big Z.

Smith has lost some of his hops, but his arms haven't gotten any shorter, so he remains a capable rebounder.

Can he run? Can he defend?

No, and no.

But he's a big body to fill up Ben Wallace's missing minutes, and he provides more offensive punch than Anderson Varejao. And as long as his daylight is limited to 15 minutes or so, Smith's addition will help the Cavs.
GRADE: B-minus

GSH
03-04-2009, 05:16 PM
That's the first thing I've seen written on the subject that wasn't just fluff. I think calling Gooden a "B" addition to the team is probably fair. Compared to the Spurs' other options, it's probably an "A" though. I think this is the best they could have hoped for after the deadline.

Spursmania
03-04-2009, 06:03 PM
This is definitely the best the Spurs could have done with what was left after the trade deadline. Gooden will help with rebounding and I thinks this is a great addition for the Spurs. Hope to see him play soon.

Nathan Explosion
03-04-2009, 07:30 PM
That's the first thing I've seen written on the subject that wasn't just fluff. I think calling Gooden a "B" addition to the team is probably fair. Compared to the Spurs' other options, it's probably an "A" though. I think this is the best they could have hoped for after the deadline.

Other than the greatest big man to walk this Earth, Pops Hakeem Kareem Wilt Robinson Russell Abdul Bonsu.

crc21209
03-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Don Harris reported on the 6 o'clock news that Gooden is not going to be with the team tonight and will be introduced to the media in San Antonio tomorrow.