PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Popovich Reveals Little About Gooden Acquisition (Also: Manu Update)

duncan228
03-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Popovich reveals little about Gooden acquisition (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Popovich_reveals_little_about_Gooden_acquisition.h tml)
Mike Monroe

DALLAS — Spurs coach Gregg Popovich remained in stonewall mode when it came to discussing his team's pending acquisition of free agent power forward Drew Gooden.

Popovich had no choice but to acknowledge that Wednesday's release of forward Pops Mensah-Bonsu had cleared the way for the acquisition of another player.

“Intuitive people would reasonably read into that move, in some way, shape or form,” Popovich said, breaking into laughter. When pressed about the reported addition of Gooden, expected later this week, he refused even to mention him by name.

“I'm in a no-comment mode on any individuals not on our team, not just that specific individual you just mentioned,” Popovich said. “Who was that again?”

Manu update: Popovich said it won't be long before Spurs guard Manu Ginobili gets a second MRI exam on his right ankle, the next step in his return from a stress reaction that has kept him on the shelf since the All-Star break.

“He was out a week in a boot,” Popovich said. “When he came out of the boot, they told us two to three weeks, and tomorrow will be two weeks. In that sense, I guess we're getting closer.

“I think what will tell the tale will be when we get him back in there to take a picture to make sure they don't see now what they saw before to make them put him in a boot. That's the bottom line, and that's probably coming up pretty quickly.”

Goodbye, Pops: Mensah-Bonsu was told about his release after the Spurs' morning shootaround. By the time he showed up to watch Wednesday's game — he arrived on the Spurs' bus, along with his former teammates — he had a new NBA destination and the same loveable personality.

“I know this is a business,” he said of the disappointment he felt after Popovich broke the news of his release, “but it looks like I'm headed to Toronto. I guess they were trying to keep that a secret, but it's already in the papers there, and that's where I'm going.”

Mensah-Bonsu, who signed with the Spurs on Feb. 25, played in three games, averaging 5.0 points and 3.3 rebounds in 6.7 minutes.

He was typically upbeat about his brief time with the Spurs.

“I loved my time here,” he said. “I learned a lot from my time in San Antonio. You see what a classy organization they've got and why they're so successful and how they go about their everyday habits.

“Just to be around Tim Duncan for a while and pick his brains, and just to see how he carries himself is going to help me a lot.”

The 6-foot-8 forward had quickly established himself as a favorite of Spurs fans with some athletic dunks and blocks. He said he was aware of his instant popularity.

“It definitely feels good,” he said, “but it would have felt better if I could have been here a little longer. It's definitely the reason I came here, because I thought I could help the team and liked the organization and the way it was going.

“I know it's a business, and it's unfortunate I wasn't able to finish up here.”

ducks
03-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Goodbye, Pops: Mensah-Bonsu was told about his release after the Spurs' morning shootaround. By the time he showed up to watch Wednesday's game — he arrived on the Spurs' bus, along with his former teammates — he had a new NBA destination and the same loveable personality.

“I know this is a business,” he said of the disappointment he felt after Popovich broke the news of his release, “but it looks like I'm headed to Toronto. I guess they were trying to keep that a secret, but it's already in the papers there, and that's where I'm going.”

go poops
play with rasho teach him to DUNK

Marcus Bryant
03-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Pops. *sniff* I have lost a piece of me.

Marcus Bryant
03-05-2009, 12:05 AM
ducks, man. Radosoft's in Indiana.

Manufan909
Damn, I was hoping Pops would hint at a summer camp invite. If Ian can stay for for 9-13 months after he gets on the court as a Spur again, I'll be happy.

Mr.Bottomtooth

:lol

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-05-2009, 12:06 AM
What the heck ??? :wtf

“He was out a week in a boot,” Popovich said. “When he came out of the boot, they told us two to three weeks, and tomorrow will be two weeks. In that sense, I guess we're getting closer.

“I think what will tell the tale will be when we get him back in there to take a picture to make sure they don't see now what they saw before to make them put him in a boot. That's the bottom line, and that's probably coming up pretty quickly.”

It is reported that you've removed the protective boot but still limp.Then what's your future plan for the recovery progress? working on the treadmill or something else? I really want to know what can be done after suffering such an injury.
Never had a boot, so the reports are not always accurate as you can tell. Crutches for 7 or 10 days and then wait for the bone to seal. Meanwhile I lift, bike, pool and stuff without a lot of impact.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118350

So who's lying ?? Manu or Pop?

kolko

go poops
play with rasho teach him to DUNK

:nope
Rasho plays in Indiana.

EricB
Adios Pops.

ducks
03-05-2009, 12:07 AM

sorry I do not follow rasho

Marcus Bryant
03-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Misinformation. Relax. The second season is 6 weeks away.

ducks
03-05-2009, 12:09 AM
yes trophy time

loveforthegame
03-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Good luck to Pops. Maybe the Spurs can give him an invite for summer league or something.

Sounds like Manu will be back soon if the MRI checks out.

bigdog
03-05-2009, 12:24 AM
As long as the Spurs can clinch a playoff spot, I'd let Ginobili rest as much as he can while staying in good basketball shape. If he returns soon, I'd play him only when necessary, not the usual overload of minutes he gets.

Playoff time is when the Spurs will really need him.

As for Pops, I hope he turns out to be a good NBA player some day. I liked him here, but he still needs to work on some stuff. Good luck to you, Pops, wherever your career takes you. Maybe we'll see you back here some day.

Kori Ellis
03-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Hopefully the tests just show that the stress reaction is healing properly. I don't care if Manu's out another couple weeks. Spurs just need him to get healthy by the end of the month. I'm sure they don't want to bring him back early and risk the stress reaction becoming a stress fracture.

ploto
03-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Sounds like people are still not being totally upfront about what is actually going on with Manu.

ducks
03-05-2009, 12:35 AM
why do you care?

MarHill
03-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Hopefully the tests just show that the stress reaction is healing properly. I don't care if Manu's out another couple weeks. Spurs just need him to get healthy by the end of the month. I'm sure they don't want to bring him back early and risk the stress reaction becoming a stress fracture.

Kori,

I must admit I though he would back sooner than the end of the month.

I was thinking the Phoenix game or the Charlotte game.

Interesting!

Russ
03-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Popovich reveals little about Gooden acquisition (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Popovich_reveals_little_about_Gooden_acquisition.h tml)
Mike Monroe

DALLAS — “Intuitive people would reasonably read into that move, in some way, shape or form,” Popovich said, breaking into laughter. When pressed about the reported addition of Gooden, expected later this week, he refused even to mention him by name.

“I'm in a no-comment mode on any individuals not on our team, not just that specific individual you just mentioned,” Popovich said. “Who was that again?”

Pop sounds almost giddy (by Pop standards) about the Gooden pickup. That's got to be a good sign. :)

TheDarkSide.
03-05-2009, 01:42 AM
If Roko Ukic wasn't enough now they have Pops.

BAHAHA

crc21209
03-05-2009, 04:36 AM
Manu update: Popovich said it won't be long before Spurs guard Manu Ginobili gets a second MRI exam on his right ankle, the next step in his return from a stress reaction that has kept him on the shelf since the All-Star break.

Which would put him right on line to be ready for next Thursdays game against the Lakers, just a feeling.

smeagol
03-05-2009, 06:20 AM
sorry I do not follow rasho

I don't either.

But I follow ploto's posts.

Brazil
03-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Pops seems to be a very cool dude, I wish him the best. I wish we could stay with him and waive udok or jaque or even malik.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Poor Celtics and Cavs, they thought they had a chance but I guess they might as well dismantle now that Wilt is going to the Raptors.

ElNono
03-05-2009, 08:40 AM
What the heck ??? :wtf
So who's lying ?? Manu or Pop?

You must be new here. Haven't you heard of CIA Pop? :hat

exstatic
03-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Good. I hope TOR signs him to a ten year contract, and I never have to read the name Pops Mensah Bonsu here again.

TMTTRIO
03-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Since we've been doing pretty good without Manu, I would say sit him out for the rest of the month.

Brazil
03-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Since we've been doing pretty good without Manu, I would say sit him out for the rest of the month.

He needs to play to recover the rythm, he did not play during long long months, came back hurt again he needs to play if healthy of course now. Tim and TP also need him, the risk is to have a fresh manu in PO but a washed tim and tp.

ehz33satx
03-05-2009, 09:47 AM

ducks is not the smartest poster here.

45 bank shot
03-05-2009, 09:59 AM
are the spurs ever gonna sign gooden?
the waiting is killing me

Fabbs
03-05-2009, 10:03 AM
[URL="http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Popovich_reveals_little_about_Gooden_acquisition.h tml"]

[B]Goodbye, Pops:
The 6-foot-8 forward had quickly established himself as a favorite of Spurs fans with some athletic dunks and blocks.
Thank goodness we won't have to be seeing any more of those.

alchemist
03-05-2009, 10:58 AM
The Spurs need Ginobili back as soon as he's ready to go. Parker and Tim keep taxing their bodies trying to make up for Ginobili's absence.

rayray2k8
03-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Guess there's not much we can do then to wait longer on the condition
of Manu's ankle.
I hope the spurs are able to hold on to the 2nd seed in the west till
Ginobili is able to fully recover from the injury.
I agree with kori, the more rest he get, the better manu will be in the
Playoffs.

duncan228
03-05-2009, 12:41 PM
are the spurs ever gonna sign gooden?

I put this in the other Gooden thread, but since the question is everywhere I'll cover some ground. Monroe, last night.

Mike Monroe: Holding Pattern at DFW (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/)
By Mike Monroe

If you were one of the Spurs fans expecting to see Drew Gooden in uniform for Wednesday's game against the Mavericks, be patient. As of 6 p.m., Gooden had not yet signed with the Spurs.

Don't worry, he'll be a Spur soon enough. There's a roster spot for him now that Pops Mensah-Bonsu has been released. It will be a surprise if he is not in silver and black for Thursday's game at AT&T Center against the Wizards.

I chatted up former Knicks and Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy a few minutes ago and asked him what Gooden can do for the Spurs. He calls him an upgrade on the front line, a physical guy who can rebound and score out to 17 feet and somebody the Spurs must have felt they needed to match up against the Lakers in a playoff series.

Spurs Brazil
03-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Don't worry, he'll be a Spur soon enough. There's a roster spot for him now that Pops Mensah-Bonsu has been released. It will be a surprise if he is not in silver and black for Thursday's game at AT&T Center against the Wizards.

Monroe wrong again

Game against the Wizards is on Friday

Duncan74
03-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Anyone hear anything more on Manu? Any idea when he may start playing again??

:ihit