PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Gooden's Flaw — A Dallas Story

duncan228
03-05-2009, 01:52 AM
Gooden's flaw — a Dallas story (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Goodens_flaw__a_Dallas_story.html)
Buck Harvey

DALLAS — The Spurs would have preferred their prize had been available. Maybe Drew Gooden could have scored on a night when the Spurs got seven points from their bench.

Maybe he would have reduced Tim Duncan's 39 minutes, and maybe Duncan would have been fresher at the end when he made a couple of defensive mistakes. Maybe anything is possible, because Gooden comes with everything the Spurs could have ever hoped for at this time and at this price.

But there's one problem with this no-brainer of a signing, and it's with the brain. Gooden is a bright man, according those who know him, but he's never been known for his basketball IQ.

Can he fit with a coach who has rarely tolerated that?

Wednesday night was not an exhibition of the Spurs' overwhelming intelligence. At times the Mavericks veered through the lane at will.

Duncan took blame afterward for one notable defensive breakdown: Down by only two points, with about a minute left, he didn't rotate as Josh Howard went to the rim.

Maybe Gooden, watching somewhere via television, wondered about his new team.

For a while, at least, Gooden will be treated this kindly. The Spurs will happily introduce a tall, top-four draft pick still in his 20s.

The last time the Spurs had one of these was 2005. When Duncan was 29.

Little wonder the Spurs are excited about Gooden. He has a post-up game, and he can pass. He's a legitimate 6-foot-10, and he has one NBA trait that is undeniable. He rebounds.

For those who have seen the sea creature that has resided on Gooden's chin and what this says about him: He's supposed to be a decent guy and teammate.

His reputation has taken a few hits, however, ever since Jerry West dumped him in his rookie year in Memphis. After that Gooden played for four other teams, and that's never a good sign.

Still, scouts never saw him as a cancer or a loafer. Gooden has worked, and he's been productive, and he's better now at paying attention to details.

But none of that changes his flaw, and there's a story that outlines this. This began in Dallas, too.

Francisco Elson had arrived in San Antonio with similar athletic promise in 2006. He came in a different package than Gooden, at 7-feet and skinny. But when Elson chased Dirk Nowitzki in a win in Dallas early that season, it appeared the Spurs had found an answer for their rival.

Elson wanted to be that, and he tried. But he reacted slowly to the Spurs' defensive switches, when he wasn't busting the play altogether. He started the first playoff game that next spring and blew a few more basic assignments, and Gregg Popovich reacted as he does.

He benched him. Fab Oberto, smarter than he is athletic, started the rest of the way to a championship.

Oberto's opposite on the front line in the NBA Finals: Gooden.

Gooden's stats were better in that series, as they will always be. But Oberto knew how to play, and how to adjust under pressure, and Popovich has another capable big man of doing the same now.

Kurt Thomas. He ended with only four points Wednesday night, but he might have been the most solid Spur outside of a starting backcourt that combined for 60 points.

Popovich will want Gooden to be the same, and he has reason to believe it is possible. Gooden played for Mike Brown in Cleveland, and Gooden knows the system.

The problem? Gooden was known to react poorly in that system.

It can get complicated. Duncan, after all, says he was at fault Wednesday night, and no one follows the Popovich rules as well as Duncan. Malik Hairston botched a few covers early, too, and Popovich sat him the rest of the way.

Popovich will try to remember that, and he will try to be patient with Gooden. He will want to emphasize what Gooden does right, and he will tell himself that Gooden is new to the Spurs.

But in the spring?

Then Popovich likes to play a certain way.

Spursmania
03-05-2009, 01:58 AM
THX for read Duncan228. Gooden has got to start playing as soon as possible with the Spurs. I hope he is not too injured because they need to gel and get the team chemistry going.

The Truth #6
03-05-2009, 02:05 AM
Finley played awesome tonight.

Capt Bringdown
03-05-2009, 02:15 AM
This is probably the best opportunity Gooden will ever get to press the reset button on his career. Hope it works out for him and us, we need all the help we can get.

Yorae
03-05-2009, 02:38 AM
This is probably the best opportunity Gooden will ever get to press the reset button on his career. Hope it works out for him and us, we need all the help we can get.

+1

It's tit for tat. It sucks the to be labeled as someone with a not so good bball iq. It's time for him to prove naysayers wrong.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-05-2009, 02:53 AM
Gooden feels like a good signing to me. unlike previous signings such as the Damon Stoudamire one, and Nick Van Exel.

crc21209
03-05-2009, 03:56 AM
Gooden should do well, I hope. Kurt was just too slow for Dirk to keep up with tonight, I wish Pop would've put Bowen on him instead of Kurt or Fin, hell...even Fab.

03-05-2009, 04:08 AM
good that duncan took responsibility for missing some crucial rotations. lots of other spurs are at fault too but when the captain of the team accepts responsibility, it sets an example.

crc21209
03-05-2009, 04:09 AM
Timmy knows he messed up. I personally think he's still getting into a rhythm after being out some games. Both his shot and his D have been slightly off. He'll get it into gear though, he always does....

Austin_Toros
03-05-2009, 04:53 AM
Elson, Elson, Elson...

wildbill2u
03-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Gooden will make some spectacular plays...but that won't overcome the problem with just playing within the system that Pop demands.

Its been proven that you don't have to be an athletic big to make the Spurs system work and win championships (Malik Rose, Oberto) but you do have to think and react to the defensive rotations. That's what makes the system work.

MoSpur
03-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I guess we all have to wait and see how he does in the system. No one can expect him to not make mistakes. He is bound to make some. Even Tim Duncan makes them.

CubanMustGo
03-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Elson, Elson, Elson...

sucks, sucks, sucks ...

ohmwrecker
03-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Buck Harvey has got to be the worst sports writer in America. He makes me mad every time I read his stuff. I don't understand how he has a job.

Agloco
03-05-2009, 10:55 AM
+1

It's tit for tat. It sucks the to be labeled as someone with a not so good bball iq. It's time for him to prove naysayers wrong.

Yeah, it's time for Gooden to take his head out of his ass and show up for a few games.

Lebowski Brickowski
03-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Popovich will try to remember that, and he will try to be patient with Gooden. He will want to emphasize what Gooden does right, and he will tell himself that Gooden is new to the Spurs.

But in the spring?

Then Popovich likes to play a certain way.

But what if Gooden doesn't play until Spring?

completely deck
03-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Well then we bust out the dog praying image and hope for the best.

Lebowski Brickowski
03-05-2009, 01:34 PM
I like the idea that the Spurs finally have a rebounder and low post player BUT

wtf is this signing for if Pop can't even try him out until round 1? he's gotta play soon and for relatively heavy minutes to even be considered for Playoff rotation.

does anyone think he'll be extended after the season? tax threshold is going down

SenorSpur
03-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Frankly, I'm excited and relieved that some help is on the way, in the form of Drew Gooden. It's obvious the Spurs have been shorthanded ever since that series loss to the Fakers last spring. With Spillter not coming over and Ian being injured all season, the Spurs have simply bereft of frontline talent and size to counter the bigger teams.

We were very lucky to have landed this guy - even if it's just for this season. We've not had someone with his size and skill since probably Nazr. I just hope to God that he has better hands. :lol

Solid D
03-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Tim's not back to normal yet.

Here is a game photo of Timmy in last night's game after he ran out to defend Howard near the arc.

http://www.midwaypartyrental.com/images/products/parking-cone.jpg

....and here is Timmy rotating out to defend J Kidd's dagger 3 in the last minute of the game.

sprrs
03-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Gooden should do well, I hope. Kurt was just too slow for Dirk to keep up with tonight, I wish Pop would've put Bowen on him instead of Kurt or Fin, hell...even Fab.

I actually thought Bonner was doing a decent job on Dirk....when Crawford was letting him.

Solid D
03-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I actually thought Bonner was doing a decent job on Dirk....when Crawford was letting him.

Yes, I did too. I thought he did a very solid job positionally on Dirk...much better than Fin or Duncan did. Matt got picked off a couple of times but he got some "tough" calls. Matt, Tim and Fab all had slow feet with their help defense on other players driving to the hole.

Manufan909
03-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Buck Harvey has got to be the worst sports writer in America. He makes me mad every time I read his stuff. I don't understand how he has a job.

Worse than Jeff??????????????

Agloco
03-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Tim's not back to normal yet.

Here is a game photo of Timmy in last night's game after he ran out to defend Howard near the arc.

....and here is Timmy rotating out to defend J Kidd's dagger 3 in the last minute of the game.

I think you need a skinnier cone than that. :lol

MarHill
03-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Frankly, I'm excited and relieved that some help is on the way, in the form of Drew Gooden. It's obvious the Spurs have been shorthanded ever since that series loss to the Fakers last spring. With Spillter not coming over and Ian being injured all season, the Spurs have simply bereft of frontline talent and size to counter the bigger teams.

We were very lucky to have landed this guy - even if it's just for this season. We've not had someone with his size and skill since probably Nazr. I just hope to God that he has better hands. :lol

I don't think anybody in the NBA has hands as bad as Nazr. He was a solid big...but clumsy!!!

:lmao