PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Release Pops Mensah-Bonsu

Darkwaters
03-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Spurs Release Pops Mensah-Bonsu

Mar 05, 2009 5:29 AM EST
The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have released forward Pops Mensah-Bonsu from his 10-day contract.

Mensah-Bonsu appeared in 3 games for the Spurs where he averaged 5.0 points and 3.3 rebounds in 6.7 minutes. He also spent time with the Austin Toros, the Spurs affiliate in the NBA Development League. In eight games with the Toros, Mensah-Bonsu averaged 26.6 points, 13.0 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 2.50 blocks in 39.8 minutes.

The Spurs roster stands at 14

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57700/20090305/spurs_release_pops_mensah_bonsu/#

sonic21
03-05-2009, 08:36 AM
some conversation here: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118718

FromWayDowntown
03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
What?!!?! What!?!?!? whottt?!?!?!

The savior is GONE?

FlAVaK
03-05-2009, 09:30 AM
ESPN: Mensah-Bonsu to sign with Raptors (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3952805)

Mensah-Bonsu said Wednesday in Dallas that he will sign with the Toronto Raptors, possibly as soon as Thursday, after getting what NBA front-office sources described as guaranteed offers for the rest of the season from Toronto and the Oklahoma City Thunder.
"It was a tossup," Mensah-Bonsu said after being waived by the Spurs earlier Wednesday to make roster room for the forthcoming arrival in San Antonio of Drew Gooden.
"I think there might be more minutes at my position with the Raptors and they wanted me even before I came to San Antonio. So I decided I'm going to go to Toronto."

Donnie Hathaway
03-05-2009, 09:32 AM
ESPN: Mensah-Bonsu to sign with Raptors (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3952805)

Mensah-Bonsu said Wednesday in Dallas that he will sign with the Toronto Raptors, possibly as soon as Thursday, after getting what NBA front-office sources described as guaranteed offers for the rest of the season from Toronto and the Oklahoma City Thunder.
"It was a tossup," Mensah-Bonsu said after being waived by the Spurs earlier Wednesday to make roster room for the forthcoming arrival in San Antonio of Drew Gooden.
"I think there might be more minutes at my position with the Raptors and they wanted me even before I came to San Antonio. So I decided I'm going to go to Toronto."

Was just about to post this! YUP...Toronto knows whats up...this guy better not turn out to be the next KG....

wildbill2u
03-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Was just about to post this! YUP...Toronto knows whats up...this guy better not turn out to be the next KG....

I'll be happy if he's just not the next Luis Scola.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
This guy will turn into the next Stephen Jackson. Spurs will regret this.

Agloco
03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
His athleticism is undeniable. Unfortunately for him he didn't show enough refined skills on the defensive end and the Spurs didn't have the luxury of time to work on his game with him while prepping for a playoff run. It was also unclear if he possessed any offensive skills outside of 5 feet. A 10-15 foot jumper is mandatory for a man his size.

He was the victim of bad timing IMO. He's going to stick somewhere. Just not with the geriatrically inclined Spurs. Hope this doesn't come back to haunt them at some point.

Here's to hoping Gooden gives us enough to make a deep playoff push....:toast

EricB
03-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Pops = god - spurs fan...

benefactor
03-05-2009, 12:42 PM
We just don't need him right now. We will have Gooden for the stretch run then we could make a run at Sheed over the summer. Add Mahinmi and Gist into the mix and Pops would probably be the odd man out.

yavozerb
03-05-2009, 01:26 PM
The Toronto Star reports that the Raptors are interested in Spurs' castoff Pops Mensah-Bonsu. He is expected to be signed sometime Thursday.

benefactor
03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Popovich can save massive orgasms with JV now.
?

Agloco
03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Popovich can save massive orgasms with JV now.

That was both random AND stupid......:(

rayray2k8
03-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I don't think he was done with his sentence. lol
Mensah-Bonsu is gone.. let it go. :rolleyes

VI_Massive
03-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Here's hoping we see him in camp.

stxspurs
03-05-2009, 02:20 PM
if he was any good he would have been in the nba already. he was athletic but u cant deny a legit starter with playoff exp like gooden. i hope to see him back but he wasnt going to help us now anyway

Darkwaters
03-05-2009, 02:24 PM
if he was any good he would have been in the nba already. he was athletic but u cant deny a legit starter with playoff exp like gooden. i hope to see him back but he wasnt going to help us now anyway

Bingo

bigdog
03-05-2009, 02:26 PM
I hate to see Pops go. He seems like a good guy, and hustles like crazy when he's in a game, but to anybody thinking he was going to come in and help the front line, be the savior of the frontline, I've got some news for you. Pops is only 6-8. He is undersized.

He will be a good player someday, I hope, but his size didn't help us out that much.

Mugen
03-05-2009, 02:31 PM
He just signed with the Toronto Raptors. I think it's guaranteed for the rest of the year.

link is on hoopshype.com

best of luck to you pops.

lefty
03-06-2009, 12:29 AM
He just signed with the Toronto Raptors. I think it's guaranteed for the rest of the year.

link is on hoopshype.com

best of luck to you pops.

Good pick up for Toronto

Trade injured O'Neal for Marion, and get a young big like Pops to help him out ( a little )

Please_dont_ban_me
03-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I hate to see Pops go. He seems like a good guy, and hustles like crazy when he's in a game, but to anybody thinking he was going to come in and help the front line, be the savior of the frontline, I've got some news for you. Pops is only 6-8. He is undersized.

He will be a good player someday, I hope, but his size didn't help us out that much.

Ben Wallace is also 6'8, and he helps out as a big down low.

I think if you can play, you can play. And Pops seemed like he had some very raw potential we could have developed. I do think he wouldn't have helped us down low THIS year though. Not due to size, but due to him not really being on the level mentally Pop likes his players to be.