PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Wizards Previews

duncan228
03-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Updated version with Gooden in post #10.

Washington (14-47) at San Antonio (40-20) Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009030624&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:30 pm EST Fri Mar 6, 2009
TV: CSMA, FSSW
By Mike Lipka

The struggling San Antonio Spurs are slowly getting healthier, and they may be adding another important piece as they move toward a 12th straight playoff appearance.

Playing eight of their next 10 games at home likely won’t hurt, either.

The Spurs will have a good opportunity to avoid a fourth loss in their last five games when they open a four-game homestand Friday night against the woeful Washington Wizards, a team San Antonio dominated on the road less than two weeks ago.

With Tim Duncan missing time with a sore knee last month and Manu Ginobili remaining out with an ankle problem, the Spurs (40-20) have struggled to put out a consistent lineup lately as they try to hang onto second place in the Western Conference.

Wednesday’s 107-102 loss at Dallas was their third in the last four games, even though Duncan had 19 points and 12 rebounds in his third game back. He still blamed himself for the loss after shooting 7-of-21 from the field.

“I put it on my shoulders,” Duncan said. “I really played an awful game on both ends. I’ve got to clean that up.”

While Tony Parker had 37 points and Roger Mason added 23, San Antonio’s bench managed to score a season-low seven.

Help appears to be on the way for the Spurs. Ginobili, the reigning NBA Sixth Man of the Year, is working his way back and the Spurs also appear to be on the verge of signing forward Drew Gooden.

“(Ginobili) was out for a week with a boot, came out of the boot and they told us two to three weeks. (Thursday) will be two weeks. In that sense we’re getting closer,” coach Gregg Popovich said.

“I’m in a no-comment mood on any additions to our team, not specifically (Gooden),” the coach added.

Gooden averaged 13.1 points and 8.6 rebounds in 31 games with Chicago this season before he was traded to Sacramento at the deadline. He played just one game for the Kings before being waived, and the Spurs released forward Pops Mensah-Bonsu this week to open up a roster spot.

It’s unclear if either player will be in uniform Friday, but San Antonio probably won’t need much help against Washington.

Not only have the Spurs won 15 of their last 18 home games going into their longest homestand so far this season, but the Wizards (14-47) stumble into San Antonio on another three-game losing streak.

In last place in the East, Washington has dropped five of six overall, starting with an ugly 98-67 home loss to the Spurs on Feb. 21. The Wizards’ point total was their lowest since a 79-65 loss at New Jersey on Dec. 13, 2002, while Mason scored 25 points for San Antonio in his first game against his former team.

That was the Spurs’ sixth straight win in the series, while Washington has lost its last eight in San Antonio.

The Wizards continued to sputter offensively in an 88-83 loss at Oklahoma City on Wednesday night against a Thunder team playing without leading scorers Kevin Durant and Jeff Green.

Washington was without an injured Caron Butler, leaving Antawn Jamison as its only active player averaging more than 10.3 points.

“We didn’t move around properly on the offensive end,” Jamison said. “… They had some of their studs out tonight and we thought if we brought the effort we would come out with a win.”

Notes

Wizards:

G Antawn Jamison scored 29 points in both meetings against Oklahoma City this season. ... G Caron Butler missed his second consecutive game with a tight left hamstring. ... Washington is 2-33 when getting outrebounded by their opponents.

Spurs:

San Antonio had routed Dallas, 93-76, last week without F Tim Duncan and G Manu Ginobili. Duncan played Wednesday, collecting 19 points and 12 rebounds in the Spurs' loss. Ginobili, however, still was sitting out with an ankle problem. ... G Tony Parker scored 37 points in the loss.

Team Stat Leaders

Antawn Jamison Was 21.7
Tony Parker SA 20.9

Rebounds

Antawn Jamison Was 9.2
Tim Duncan SA 10.7

Assists

Caron Butler Was 4.4
Tony Parker SA 6.6

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

Washington 14-47 5th Southeast / 15th East 94.6 102.0 Road 4-25 Lost 3 3-7

San Antonio 40-20 1st Southwest / 2nd West 97.4 93.7 Home 20-8 Lost 1 5-5

duncan228
03-06-2009, 04:00 AM
Friday: Wizards (14-47) at Spurs (40-20) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Friday_Wizards_14-47_at_Spurs_40-20.html)
Express-News

Time: 7:30 p.m.
TV: FNSW
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - WIZARDS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 8th yr) - 12 Mike James (6-2, 8th yr)
Parker now tied for 16th in the NBA in scoring at 20.9 per game.

SG - 8 Roger Mason Jr. (6-5, 5th yr) - 3 Caron Butler (6-7, 7th yr)
Mason had 25-point homecoming against former team in last month's meeting.

SF - 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 14th yr) - 5 Dominic McGuire (6-9, 2nd yr)
McGuire averaging 7.6 rebounds per game in last 10 outings.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 12th yr) - 4 Antawn Jamison (6-9, 11th yr)
Jamison shot just 6 of 17 from field in first meeting with Spurs.

C - 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 5th yr) - 9 Darius Songaila (6-11, 6th yr)
Bonner second in NBA in 3-point percentage at 48.5 percent.

SPURS RESERVES

12 Bruce Bowen, F, 6-7, 13th yr
1 Malik Hairston, G, 6-6, 1st yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 1st yr
7 Fabricio Oberto, C, 6-10, 4th yr
40 Kurt Thomas, C/F, 6-9, 14th yr
5 Ime Udoka, G/F, 6-5, 5th yr
11 Jacque Vaughn, G, 6-1, 12th yr
90 Drew Gooden, F, 6-10, 7th yr

WIZARDS RESERVES

8 Javaris Crittenton, G, 6-5, 2nd yr
12 Juan Dixon, G, 6-3, 7th yr
34 JaVale McGee, C, 7-0, 1st yr
14 Oleksiy Pecherov, C/F, 7-0, 2nd yr
1 Nick Young, G, 6-6, 2nd yr
32 Andray Blatche, F, 6-9, 4th yr
2 DeShawn Stevenson, G, 6-5, 9th yr

COACHES

Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Wizards: Ed Tapscott

INJURIES

Spurs: Ian Mahinmi (right ankle surgery) and Manu Ginobili (stress reaction, right ankle) are out.

Wizards: Gilbert Arenas (left knee), Brendan Haywood (right wrist surgery), Etan Thomas (left knee) are out.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Mahinmi, Ginobili, Vaughn.

Wizards: Arenas, Haywood, Thomas.

NOTABLE

The Spurs have lost three of their last four games. ... Tonight's game is the first of a four-game homestand for the Spurs... Spurs won 98-67 in Washington on Feb. 21.

- Jeff McDonald

bigdog
03-06-2009, 04:23 AM
Well it looks like Gooden is at least expected to suit up. Since it's the Wizards, I hope Pop doesn't put him out there for big minutes. I just don't want to risk messing up the healing process of his injuries. Play him in 3-4 minute spans, and if it's a blowout in the 2nd half, let him rest.

I do hope to see him play, though.

shelshor
03-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Referee Assignments
Fri. Mar. 6
Washington @ San Antonio: D. Bavetta, E. Lewis, R. Mott

Dex
03-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Hopefully we'll get to see Gooden on the floor a bit, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if Pop just lets him play spectator for a few games.

duncan228
03-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Slumping Spurs hope to get well at Wizards' expense (http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/news/news.aspx?id=4217584)

(Sports Network) - The struggling San Antonio Spurs hope to get back on track Friday, when they kick off a four-game homestand hoping to garner their seventh straight win over the hapless Washington Wizards.

The Spurs, who lead the cramped Southwest Division by two games over both New Orleans and Houston, lost for the third time in four games Wednesday in Dallas, where Josh Howard poured in 29 points -- helped by 4-of-5 three-point shooting -- to lead the Mavericks in a 107-102 victory over San Antonio.

Tony Parker recorded a game-best 37 points and Roger Mason had 23 for the Spurs. Tim Duncan ended with 19 points and 12 boards in the loss, while Matt Bonner totaled 11 points.

San Antonio officially added some veteran depth to its rotation on Thursday, signing forward Drew Gooden for the rest of the season.

Gooden was bought out by the Sacramento Kings last Sunday, making him eligible to play for another team during the playoffs. The veteran, who was also reportedly considering signing with Dallas, averaged 13.1 points and 8.6 rebounds in 31 games with the Chicago Bulls before he was traded to the Kings on February 18.

The Spurs, who are 20-8 at home, will also face Phoenix, Charlotte and the LA Lakers on their residency.

The Wizards, meanwhile, dropped the opener of a four-game road trip Wednesday in Oklahoma City, where Nick Collison scored 12 points and pulled down 10 rebounds as the Thunder hung on to beat Washington, 88-83, at the Ford Center.

Antawn Jamison poured in 29 points and pulled down 10 rebounds to pace the Wizards, who have dropped five of their last six outings. Andray Blatche and Darius Songaila scored 14 points apiece for Washington, which slipped to a dismal 4-25 away from home this year.

Wizards forward Caron Butler missed his second straight game with a left hamstring injury on Wednesday. The seventh-year swingman, who is averaging 20.3 points, 6.2 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game, is listed as questionable for tonight's contest.

Washington, which will finish its trek with visits to Dallas and Minnesota, has not beaten San Antonio since a 110-95 win in the nation's capital on November 12, 2005.

duncan228
03-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Updated, Gooden added.

Washington (14-47) at San Antonio (40-20) Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009030624&prov=ap)
By Mike Lipka

The struggling San Antonio Spurs are slowly getting healthier, and they may be adding another important piece as they move toward a 12th straight playoff appearance.

Playing eight of their next 10 games at home likely won’t hurt, either.

The Spurs will have a good opportunity to avoid a fourth loss in their last five games when they open a four-game homestand Friday night against the woeful Washington Wizards, a team San Antonio dominated on the road less than two weeks ago.

With Tim Duncan missing time with a sore knee last month and Manu Ginobili remaining out with an ankle problem, the Spurs (40-20) have struggled to put out a consistent lineup lately as they try to hang onto second place in the Western Conference.

Wednesday’s 107-102 loss at Dallas was their third in the last four games, even though Duncan had 19 points and 12 rebounds in his third game back. He still blamed himself for the loss after shooting 7-of-21 from the field.

“I put it on my shoulders,” Duncan said. “I really played an awful game on both ends. I’ve got to clean that up.”

While Tony Parker had 37 points and Roger Mason added 23, San Antonio’s bench managed to score a season-low seven.

Help appears to be on the way for the Spurs. Ginobili, the reigning NBA Sixth Man of the Year, is working his way back and the Spurs signed forward Drew Gooden for the rest of the season on Thursday.

“(Ginobili) was out for a week with a boot, came out of the boot and they told us two to three weeks. (Thursday) will be two weeks. In that sense we’re getting closer,” coach Gregg Popovich said.

Gooden averaged 13.1 points and 8.6 rebounds in 31 games with Chicago this season before he was traded to Sacramento at the deadline. He played just one game for the Kings before being waived, and the Spurs released forward Pops Mensah-Bonsu this week to open a roster spot.

It’s unclear if Gooden will be available for Friday’s game.

“I might have to get a practice in, to go over what we’re going to run offensively and defensively, but other than that I’m ready to play,” said Gooden, who has been hobbled by groin and lower abdominal strains.

It seems unlikely San Antonio will need him to take care of Washington.

Not only have the Spurs won 15 of their last 18 home games going into their longest homestand so far this season, but the Wizards (14-47) stumble into San Antonio on another three-game losing streak.

In last place in the East, Washington has dropped five of six overall, starting with an ugly 98-67 home loss to the Spurs on Feb. 21. The Wizards’ point total was their lowest since a 79-65 loss at New Jersey on Dec. 13, 2002, while Mason scored 25 points for San Antonio in his first game against his former team.

That was the Spurs’ sixth straight win in the series, while Washington has lost its last eight in San Antonio.

The Wizards continued to sputter offensively in an 88-83 loss at Oklahoma City on Wednesday night against a Thunder team playing without leading scorers Kevin Durant and Jeff Green.

Washington was without an injured Caron Butler, leaving Antawn Jamison as its only active player averaging more than 10.3 points.

“We didn’t move around properly on the offensive end,” Jamison said. “… They had some of their studs out tonight and we thought if we brought the effort we would come out with a win.”

quentin_compson
03-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Where is the game blog?
Can't wait for this game as I usually only get to see Spurs games on the weekends. With the game against the Suns on Sunday, here's hoping it will be a good weekend.
I really would have liked to see Gooden tonight but it's not that surprising Pop isn't playing him yet.
Anyway, a win would be ... eh ... kind of nice. So go kick some ass guys!

And by the way, a big thank you to duncan228 for constantly compiling all the Spurs related articles and tidbits from the media. :toast