PDA

View Full Version : Does Mason really make a good backup PG?

MoSpur
03-05-2009, 03:41 PM
He doesn't have the best court vision or ball handling skills. He turned the ball over last night and has in the past when taking over PG duties. IMO, he is a little overrated as a backup PG. I know Pop is still experimenting with the lineup and rotations still, but c'mon. Pop needs to let Hill handle the PG duties. He's not that much better than Mason, but he's a rookie. Rookies are bound to make mistakes.

Your thoughts?

Obstructed_View
03-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Pop loves messing with the lineups for national TV games so people will realize how good a coach he is. His insertion of smallball with Mason as the point guard was basketball gold.

honestfool84
03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
he scored 25 points, or something along the lines.

would you say that's overrated?

honestly, though, when he's on fire - i love the idea of him bringing down the ball each play and shooting a three.

Brazil
03-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Easy question : NO NO NO AND NO

G-Nob
03-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Pop loves messing with the lineups for national TV games so people will realize how good a coach he is. His insertion of smallball with Mason as the point guard was basketball gold.

Is this the latest he's ever experimented in the season? I though by now, we'd have our rotation taking shape. I wonder how many wins the spurs would have if he wouldn't jack around so much.

BigVee
03-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Although he makes me nervous handling the ball, Mason will at least get the benefit of some calls. I can envision Hill driving to the hoop in the playoffs and getting consistently knocked on his ass and never hearing a whistle.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2009, 03:51 PM
he scored 25 points, or something along the lines.

would you say that's overrated?

Since he doesn't get credit for an assist when he steps into an empty area and shoots it, then he's certainly overrated by Pop as a point guard. The point guard's job is to run the offense, which means getting shots for other people and not turning it over. Hell, on this forum, Manu doesn't get away with turning the ball over like Mason did.

benefactor
03-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Hopefully we are not going with Mason as the backup point during the playoffs. Mason is almost a pure 2 guard. If Pop is not going to trust Hill I would rather have Manu running the point.

Vaughn has better PG skills.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Is this the latest he's ever experimented in the season? I though by now, we'd have our rotation taking shape. I wonder how many wins the spurs would have if he wouldn't jack around so much.

No, 2006 he decided to bench his entire center rotation not long after one of them hit a three pointer in a blowout first round playoff win. The team went .500 from that point forward and was bounced in the second round.

Trimble87
03-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Just posted this in Mason = Beast before this thread came up... but Ill reitterate it here.

Ive been thinking the same thing the last two games. Every time Mason and Harriston were running the back court I would wonder "where is Hill." Last night as I was wondering this Jeff Van Gundy (best announcer in the nba imo) answered it for me. Hills jump shot isn't good enough to have him on the floor when teams are doubling duncan. Come playoff time we cant have hill out there if teams elect to double in the post, because it gives them a guy to double off of. I hadnt even considered that, but it makes perfect sense. *edit* this of course is true with Vaughn as well.

I also have grown on Mason at the point, he proved last night he can create his own shots, hes getting better at attacking the rim, and hes a better passer then Hill at the moment.

Hill plays good defense and I love his athleticism. Hes going to be a great addition to the team for several years... But he has a shoot first mentallity, isnt a great passer and is very inconsistent from mid-range and 3 point land. <3 Hill but I think thats what worries pop about using him as much.

Spurs Brazil
03-05-2009, 04:06 PM
The good thing is he has the ball in his hands so he can shot more, we saw that in the 2nd quarter when he was on fire.

But I don't like his ball handling skills. I think this will be over as soon Manu is back.

Manu will be the backup PG in the playoffs

spursnatic
03-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Hill is not much better. I've seen in recent games turnovers left and right, and people pull up and J, un-contested right in Hill's face..So I believe I would rather have Mason being backup to Tony, atleast he can score us some points too!!:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2::flag:

Brazil
03-05-2009, 04:14 PM
The good thing is he has the ball in his hands so he can shot more, we saw that in the 2nd quarter when he was on fire.

But I don't like his ball handling skills. I think this will be over as soon Manu is back.

Manu will be the backup PG in the playoffs

Man during I don't know how many years Pop was looking for a back up PG, he has one now not a perfect one but a decent one and we will go back to the old manu / barry / whatever SG as PG when TP is on the bench ?? :bang

WalterBenitez
03-05-2009, 04:14 PM
No, HIll should be the second PG

Spurs Brazil
03-05-2009, 04:18 PM
No, HIll should be the second PG

I agree but I think Pop will go with Manu.

I think Pop still have Beno 05 Finals nightmares

MoSpur
03-05-2009, 04:20 PM
I know Mason pulling up to score is a good thing, but I think good defensive teams are going to exploit Mason's lack of ball handling skills. I doubt Pop goes with Mason as the backup PG in the playoffs, but still. I think Pop needs to give more minutes to Hill so that he can gain some more confidence.

When Parker was out with that injury early in the season, a lot of you here were all over Hill's stuff. I thought he did great too for being a rookie. What happened is all I am saying?

Brazil
03-05-2009, 04:25 PM
i know mason pulling up to score is a good thing, but i think good defensive teams are going to exploit mason's lack of ball handling skills. I doubt pop goes with mason as the backup pg in the playoffs, but still. I think pop needs to give more minutes to hill so that he can gain some more confidence.

When parker was out with that injury early in the season, a lot of you here were all over hill's stuff. I thought he did great too for being a rookie. What happened is all i am saying?

+1

it's me
03-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Years go by and we are unable to get a good back up PG…. that freaking sucks …

Agloco
03-05-2009, 04:38 PM
He doesn't have the best court vision or ball handling skills. He turned the ball over last night and has in the past when taking over PG duties. IMO, he is a little overrated as a backup PG. I know Pop is still experimenting with the lineup and rotations still, but c'mon. Pop needs to let Hill handle the PG duties. He's not that much better than Mason, but he's a rookie. Rookies are bound to make mistakes.

Your thoughts?

http://www.globalbydesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/stay_thirsty_my_friends.gif NO

Bruno
03-05-2009, 04:57 PM
We will have a better idea about what Pop want to do with the backup PG spot when Manu will be back.
What the backup PG should do is a lot different when Manu is on on the court.

bigdog
03-05-2009, 04:58 PM
NO. The only thing that works with him as PG is the pull up jumper off a pick.

Besides that, his ball handling skills aren't very good. I don't know why some people on here, and even Pop say that he handles the ball well, when he doesn't. He turned the ball over against Dallas on 2 straight possessions, I believe. Hill MUST be the backup PG, not Mason.

PDXSpursFan
03-05-2009, 04:59 PM
The Mason PG experiment failed.

Manufan909
03-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Since he doesn't get credit for an assist when he steps into an empty area and shoots it, then he's certainly overrated by Pop as a point guard. The point guard's job is to run the offense, which means getting shots for other people and not turning it over. Hell, on this forum, Manu doesn't get away with turning the ball over like Mason did.

True, Manu would've been roasted for 2 TOs.:lol I hope Hill plays backup once Manu is back, and Pop gets a little crazy and benches Fin for Bowen.:king

EricB
03-05-2009, 05:31 PM

Yeah his ego is that huge.

urunobili
03-05-2009, 05:36 PM
I like Mase runnin the point... against shitty teams though...

dastrey
03-05-2009, 05:44 PM
The truth is Mason's productivity goes up when the ball is in his hands. I dont mind a couple turnovers if he's giving us 20 pts a game on a good shooting percentage. Yes, Hill has better handles, but his jumper has been off for months and he isnt a great finisher at the rim yet. The playoffs are just around the corner so Pop is going to see who is going to give us a more effective 10 minute role. Regardless of what Pop chooses, its good to see Mason putting up more shots.

VI_Massive
03-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I've written this elsewhere, but we have to remember that Hill didn't play point guard in college, he played the 2. Even guys who played the point in college take some time to adapt to running the NBA point. No way Hill is ready for running the playoff point in the NBA as a rookie. He can contribute by guarding the other team's best small player and making offensive and rebounding hustle plays. But until Hill gets more experience, Mason and Manu will be running the back-up point for the few minutes when TP isn't on the floor in the playoffs. Its not the greatest option, but I think it'll work out. Mason is a big pull-up jumper threat and Manu is great at the drive and kick.

MaNu4Tres
03-05-2009, 06:09 PM
I've written this elsewhere, but we have to remember that Hill didn't play point guard in college, he played the 2. Even guys who played the point in college take some time to adapt to running the NBA point. No way Hill is ready for running the playoff point in the NBA as a rookie. He can contribute by guarding the other team's best small player and making offensive and rebounding hustle plays. But until Hill gets more experience, Mason and Manu will be running the back-up point for the few minutes when TP isn't on the floor in the playoffs. Its not the greatest option, but I think it'll work out. Mason is a big pull-up jumper threat and Manu is great at the drive and kick.

best post of the thread

Agloco
03-05-2009, 06:23 PM
The only one worth reading actually......

Marcus Bryant
03-05-2009, 07:40 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/44/qYEHdX4X3jbl68kcr4EO5pvdo1_500.jpg

But he does need the rock in his hands.

The Truth #6
03-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Playing Mason at the point and Hill at the two at the same time was something you try in November, not this late in the season.

Why mess with Hill like that? He's a rookie and already trying to figure things out on the fly. He's a point guard now. There's no reason to throw him back to the 2 unless he's playing next to Parker. But Mason isn't a PG. Weird.

Mason was playing well overall but as a PG he turned the ball over and had trouble getting anything set up too often.

If the fans complain too much about it, then we'll probably see more of it, so, let's not talk about it anymore.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Mason was running the offense even when he was on the floor with Parker. That makes no sense.

Rain318
03-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Pop is a mad scientist
I ? Mason ball handling skills

SAhoops
03-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Mason is a capable backup pg.

MI21
03-05-2009, 08:27 PM
I quite like him as backup PG offensively. It's when he gets indecisive on the PnR and trying to break down the defense that the TO's come. He can bring the ball up fine, against pressure. He gives a threat from the top of the key that the Spurs haven't had for the longest time, which helps when the ball gets dumped down low and every defender on the weakside sags towards Timmy. RMJ's defender can't sag to far to help cover the middle with Roger out there nailing 3's.

He is also pretty aggressive, and we know Pop likes that from backup PG's. Hill is so frustratingly passive sometimes that it makes me want to yell in his face to remind him he is actually a pretty good scorer and has proven it in the NBA already.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2009, 05:44 AM
The Mavericks made an adjustment that pretty much shut down his open looks in the second half, rendering him basically useless as a PG, as well as taking away all his effectiveness on the offensive end of the floor. He should be running around screens to get open and keeping the defense from packing the paint.

MoSpur
03-06-2009, 05:28 PM
I guess we will see this again tonight. I will be looking at this more carefully.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm going to have to side with the Obstructed One. He is good as a backup point when we have no other choice, and when he's on fire like in the first half of the mavs game....but noone can deny he just looks awkward out there sometimes, and he has trouble getting the offense going, outside of his own shot.

He has definitely mastered the pass down low to Duncan, but other than that, his passing skills and ability to break a defense down from the inside out are lacking.

roycrikside
03-06-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't like him as the backup point. If Hill isn't out there and Parker isn't out there (and assuming Manu's out injured) nobody will drive to the basket, there will be zero threat of a fast break and Mace can't guard opposing points as well as Hill can. Also, I'm not enamored with how Mace runs pick and rolls.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-06-2009, 08:35 PM
The thing about Hill though is he really isn't that much better. His defense is better than Mason's, but not by much, in fact, his defense has been lackluster the past month or so IMO. The last good defense showing I remember of his was against the Celtics.
On top of that, his jumper sucks ballsac. I think he needs to shoot 10,000 jumpers a day with Chip Englland this summer, he can improve alot by next year. But considering this, the RMJ thing isn't that bad. But it doesn't make him good.

MoSpur
03-09-2009, 08:28 AM
^
How was Hill's defense yesterday?

genomefreak13
03-09-2009, 08:32 AM

Your thoughts?

I think he's there for his defense... at least an attempt to do so. We all know how awful Parker's defense is. Pop in placing Mason at the helm might be compensating for parker's lack of defense.

stéphane
03-09-2009, 08:38 AM
We all know how awful Parker's defense is.

Don't put all the posters down there at your IQ level. :rolleyes

Agloco
03-09-2009, 08:41 AM

Your thoughts?

In a word, no.

MoSpur
03-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Parker's defense isn't the worse. It was pretty good last night in spurts.

genomefreak13
03-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Don't put all the posters down there at your IQ level. :rolleyes

Nah...

MoSpur
03-23-2009, 08:50 AM
I will answer my own question. Its NO!!!!!!

:nope

Spursmania
03-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Experiment has failed!!! Next...

SanAntonioSpurs23
03-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Vaughn FTW?

superbigtime
03-23-2009, 10:05 AM

Your thoughts?

Did W make a good president? Does a bear use toilet paper? No. Mason's ball handling skills are reminiscent of Beno. Hill woulda been making less mistakes if he had kept his backup role. He still looks lost out there. Just looking forward to Manu returning and providing some backup PG minutes for this team.

MoSpur
03-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Hill got a 1/4 of a rookie season to see if he could be the backup. Yet Finley gets 25+ minutes each game to see if he still gots it. I don't understand it.

DaBears
03-23-2009, 10:31 AM
But he’s not giving you 20pts, he's giving you 11pts and stand still offense- through in acouple of turnovers and maybe one assist. I am a patient guy and willing to give things a try, but ever since pop started doing this we have a lackluster offense and lost games we should be winning.

I thought we drafted George Hill as backup PG. But then again pop does have a way of ruining backup PG's or finishing you pick your poison.

DaBears
03-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Last i checked G Hill has a pretty good assist to turnover ratio. And offense did not look that bad earlier in the season or even up to about a month ago. So why the change. Mason may play more productivly with more time but everyone else suffers. Dont believe me watch the last 3 games, that says it all.

MoSpur
03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
I thought Hill did a great job when Parker went down and he came in to fill that role. He a bad game from time to time, but he's a rookie.

Texas_Ranger
03-23-2009, 10:40 AM
no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no

DaBears
03-23-2009, 10:42 AM
exactly so whats the point of trying mason as backup. I noticed that you are not seeing any more production from G HILL cuase you put him in as SG. He still doesnt shoot more so put him back at point let him run the offense. I could understand the more if Hill was scoring like crazy from the SG position but he's not.

DaBears
03-23-2009, 10:44 AM
SEE i like that!! Quick & simple. no, no, no!!!!!!!

45 bank shot
03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
However, will pop ever swtich the backup PG role to Ghill.
Strongly doubt it

DaBears
03-23-2009, 10:56 AM
cant wait for ginobli, even if hes not healthy he gives the spurs some much needed fight, and motovation that is lacking on the court.

mexicanjunior
03-23-2009, 11:09 AM
I said this months ago, Mason's dribble is WAY too high and he cannot finish at all when in the paint unless it is a wide open layup. Moving him to backup PG was the worst thing that could have happened to him. It has completely taken him out of rhythm and caused some real momentum shifting turnovers. If Mason is not shooting and hitting wide open 3's off of post double teams or penetration, he becomes a liability.

VI_Massive
03-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I said this months ago, Mason's dribble is WAY too high and he cannot finish at all when in the paint unless it is a wide open layup. Moving him to backup PG was the worst thing that could have happened to him. It has completely taken him out of rhythm and caused some real momentum shifting turnovers. If Mason is not shooting and hitting wide open 3's off of post double teams or penetration, he becomes a liability.

Yes, yes and yes. Not only does playing Mason at the point hamper the offense when he's running it, it hampers Mason's game when he's not running it, thus depriving us of one of our better shooters.

LockBeard
03-23-2009, 11:23 AM
nonononononononoonoononnonononononoono

God forbid Hill run the offense. I'm surprised Finley isn't our starting PG.

WalterBenitez
03-23-2009, 11:31 AM
No, no, Noooooooooo, he sucks at PG, probable is right that his numbers goes up when he run the team, but those turnovers when the game is on the line SUCKS.

I prefer in those situation that TP run the team and gives the ball to Roger, otherwise, a turnover come up.

Bruno
03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Judging a backup PG, while Manu is out, is just moot.

RandomGuy
03-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Mason is fine.

His ability to sink 3 pointers is his strength.

I am fairly sure he will learn the system over time. If not, he's out. No big deal.

next thread.

timvp
03-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Judging a backup PG, while playing for Pop, is just moot.Fixed.

:hat

Bruno
03-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Fixed.

:hat

:rolleyes

It's sure than playing with a SG that is a better scorer than James, Bryant or Wade doesn't change what the PG has to do.

timvp
03-23-2009, 12:12 PM
:rolleyes

It's sure than playing with a SG that is a better scorer than James, Bryant or Wade doesn't change what the PG has to do.Spurs basketball doesn't revolve around Manu Ginobili. The backup point guard should be able to do the basics such as bring the ball up the court without it getting stolen, initiating the offense in less than 15 seconds or run a play other than a pick-and-roll.

Ginobili will help but there are have been many teams in the history of the NBA who have been successful without Ginobili on their team.

VI_Massive
03-23-2009, 12:14 PM
i can't believe i'm saying this, but, should we have gone after Starbury?

Creation88
03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
the problem stems from Mason's inability to penetrate and dish the ball which leads to a very stagnant and inefficient 2nd team offense. Hill would do a better job of this.

Bruno
03-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Spurs basketball doesn't revolve around Manu Ginobili.

When Manu is on the court with Parker, Spurs basketball revolves around Ginobili as much as Cavs/Heat/Lakers basketball revolves around James/Wade/Bryant.

Ginobili will help but there are have been many teams in the history of the NBA who have been successful without Ginobili on their team.

And ???

timvp
03-23-2009, 12:28 PM
When Manu is on the court with Parker, Spurs basketball revolves around Ginobili as much as Cavs/Heat/Lakers basketball revolves around James/Wade/Bryant.So I guess we can't judge Parker's play without Ginobili either.

And ???

Judging a backup PG, while playing for Pop, is just moot.

Plus, Hill's best basketball of the season was when Ginobili was out of the lineup. When Ginobili returned, Hill started deferring and his aggressiveness disappeared. That's when he patented his "pass to the shooting guard and run to the corner" routine.

Basically, I just don't agree that you can't judge a point guard without Manu on the court. Hill was playing at an acceptable level without Manu. Manu will change the role but the bench shouldn't be held faultless until his return.

picnroll
03-23-2009, 12:33 PM
How much of Hill's early success was the opposition not knowing his strengths and weaknesses and once they figured out his weaknesses he was neutered?

Bruno
03-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Basically, I just don't agree that you can't judge a point guard without Manu on the court.

Mason or Hill being good or bad PG in the absolute is as uninteresting as it can be.
What is interesting to know is what they can do as Spurs backup PG and Ginobili on the court is a huge factor for the backup PG.

Hill was playing at an acceptable level without Manu. Manu will change the role but the bench shouldn't be held faultless until his return.

Hill was playing well in November but there is something called the rookie wall...
Now, I don't held Spurs' bench fautless but I'm just saying that Manu will change a lot of things for the backup PG.

MoSpur
03-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Manu is a better backup PG option than Mason for sure. Than Hill? Probably so, but Hill is a rookie and didn't get much of a chance to prove himself IMO. If you put hill and Manu together on the floor, I think Hill would be better as the backup PG, because he might be able to create for Manu.

I see Bruno's point. I do, but Mason is killing us right now as the backup PG. The point is not a moot one right now because the Spurs are suffering a bit because of Pop's decision.

picnroll
03-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Hill can't create, Mason can't create. Duncan can't create since no one is doubling him. Once Parker is off the floor, with no Manu, the Spurs have no one that can create and get easy shots for others or even for themselves. Name me a team that can put no one on the floor that can create and is still successful.

Yuixafun
03-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Come PO's Pop and the Spurs can't afford to BS.

Bowen Duncan Manu Parker all need to start.

Duncan to be the defensive anchor and fascilitator on offense. With his injury, that's the most you can ask him to do and be effective.

I'm not sure how much pain he's playing with, but it must be signficant, enough that it takes away from his focus to make bunnies (easy baskets), especially on the move. So don't make him do that.

Let him use everything he has on defense around the paint.

Bowen will set the tone and not allow the opposing # 1 or 2 scorer to get into a flow. Yes he's 37, but he hasn't logged many minutes at all this season. I figure he has a vast store of energy to use on defense, to go all out for 16-24 games.

Parker and Manu to push the tempo, score and draw fouls. Enough said.

I think KT or Fab for center, for their vertan grit, experience and screen setting. They can score around the basket on putbacks or short jumpers. They also need to go all out on rebounding, to eliminate second chance opporunities.

Manu has been with these guys for years so they is no 'gelling' time needed. This eliminates or mitigates problems that might arise with having Manu playing with the 2nd unit, with players that will defer to him or be uncomfortable.

Mason needs to come off the bench. It's not a demotion, but he's not a starter. I believe all this time he's gotten was so he could learn the system as quickly as possible through experience.. to be a stronger player on the 2nd unit. To be Manu lite. The offense will run through him, against 2nd tier competition and he can dominate the ball and shoot as much as he pleases.

Fin needs to take a Kerr role, Bonner an Horry role, and Drew Gooden to sub in for Duncan post work. Hill can come in for Parker for a dozen minutes to keep the attack energy up, probably more on the defensive side.

And Ime subs in for Bowen, to keep the defensive intensity amped. Let Ime put a physical pounding on the opposing scorers after Bowen has already pestered and taxed them with his gnatty defense. Tire them out, and then hit them in the mouth. That's a good combination.

Once Manu gets up to speed let him log the most minutes. He's a rhythm player and needs those minutes to find his groove. Also he should be the healthiest player on the team at that point and freshest. This will ease the burden on Parker.

Parker is starting to lose some steam, due to fatigue, he just needs to be stay at a high level while Manu reacclimates. Of all the players to be winded at this point in the season, Parker is the one. He's young and can recover the most between games. So with limited time during the earlier rounds, he might be back to near full strength come the WCF.

As pieces I still think this roster can win although small margin for error, so the Spurs need to come out with their best for 48 minutes.

They can't get 'let games get away' and have series baloon up to 6 or 7 games.

timvp
03-23-2009, 01:05 PM
The only question I have is whether Hill set the new SpursTalk record for going from Hall of Famer to scrub. It seems like just the other day I was arguing that Hill was not going to end up better than Tony Parker. Now I have to go to bat for Hill because he's viewed as worse than Jacque Vaughn :lol

MoSpur
03-23-2009, 01:09 PM
The only difference between Hill in November & December and the Hill of now is the minutes Pop has given him.

timvp
03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
The only difference between Hill in November & December and the Hill of now is the minutes Pop has given him.Disagree.

The difference is Hill was forced into a role when there were no other options. When Ginobili returned, Hill began playing like he didn't want to step on the toes of any of the established veterans. That passiveness has yet to subside.

But I'm confident that once he ups his level of aggression back to where it was early in the season that he has the ability to become a top flight backup point guard.

picnroll
03-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Now I have to go to bat for Hill because he's viewed as worse than Jacque Vaughn :lol
Don't count me amongst those viewing him as worse than Jaques Vaughn although right now as far as creating in the half court I don't think he's even as good as Jaques at this stage the way he's playing. Difference is you feel it's just a matter of aggression and I think it's in large part skill/development and his early success was in large part that he wasn't known. He is VERY predictable in the half-court.

MoSpur
03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Good point Timvp, but Pop has given him less minutes as the backup PG. Mason has taken those minutes away and taking away time from Hill overall. I too think Hill needs to be aggressive when he has the ball in his hands. The man has the quickness and athleticism to create.

Manufan909
03-23-2009, 01:37 PM
I agree with all Bruno said. And I don't see the point of Mason being PG when Manu is on, might as well have a new and an old guard for each unit. If Mason keeps getting TPs spare minutes with Manu getting 20+ mins, he won't be the real PG anyways, Manu will.

Old School 44
03-23-2009, 02:17 PM
NO, go back to Hill or...can't believe I am saying this...Vaughn. Mason is a terrible PG. I think it has affected his overall game and the rhythm of the team.

Or better yet, in the playoffs play Tony 40+ minutes and just live with the results of the other 8.

WalterBenitez
03-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Mason is fine.

His ability to sink 3 pointers is his strength.

I am fairly sure he will learn the system over time. If not, he's out. No big deal.

next thread.

Partially agree, he 3s rocks I am a great fan of his outside shot (how to forget that sweet piece of art against Boston :D or that against Lakers ) anyhow he is not ready to run this team when the game is on the line period.

I'd like to develop him in 2nd/3rd quarter but never in the 4th, in those cases the ball should go to TP, Manu, Hill ....

BackHome
03-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Hill is not a PG and will never be a PG........we tried this experiment once with a 2 Guard and we know it does not work. He can not create easy basket for players so you get no assists from him and he has tunnel vison when he does take the ball to the rim. Also he has a hard time finishing at the rim and as of late has no outside shot to speak off.

They are certain skills you can teach and players can learn in time but PG skills take years to learn. You cant take an athletic running back or receiver and put him as a quarterback it Does Not Work.

They just need to bite the bullete and say he is a two guard and he can be a mini Bowen. But he needs to be able to hit the three ball from the corner.

de Soto
03-23-2009, 07:12 PM

Your thoughts?

That is to put it mildly. Mason as a PG is a disaster that the Spurs cannot afford.

Spursone
03-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Fuck no!

superbigtime
03-23-2009, 07:32 PM
The only question I have is whether Hill set the new SpursTalk record for going from Hall of Famer to scrub. It seems like just the other day I was arguing that Hill was not going to end up better than Tony Parker. Now I have to go to bat for Hill because he's viewed as worse than Jacque Vaughn :lol

You can thank either our fantastic coaching staff for this rookie's development or lack thereof, or the Spurs Central Intelligence Agency for drafting so wisely.

SenorSpur
03-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Like most everyone else, I remain completely mystified with Pop's stubborn use of Mason at the backup point guard spot, despite the apparent failed results. That said, I have a question for the masses.

Does anyone think that Pop sees some intrinsic value in making this move, despite the obvious failed results?

Or is Pop stubbornly using this move as some sort of militaristic exercise to test Hill's mentality and character? And he's willing to sacrific results, and perhaps team success, to get this point across?

Yuixafun
03-30-2009, 08:17 AM
I don't think Pop's world revolves around G.H. that much.

He's most likely doing it for several reasons, with building a rookie's character as an ancilary bonus.

spurs4me
03-30-2009, 09:48 AM
My concern is that forcing Mason to play a position that he is not comfortable with is causing a loss of confidence in him. With no confidence, his shots don't fall. It's just not a good fit for him...I think Hill could do a better job as backup PG...

Yuixafun
03-30-2009, 09:55 AM
My concern is that forcing Mason to play a position that he is not comfortable with is causing a loss of confidence in him. With no confidence, his shots don't fall. It's just not a good fit for him...I think Hill could do a better job as backup PG...

Or at least the 'addition by subtraction.'

No reason to fuck up Mason's game/confidence by making him into a weak PG.

Then you have 2 weak pg's eh?

bigfan
03-30-2009, 10:24 AM
I agree that Hill should be backing up Tony and Mason should be starting with Manu as his backup. I know Manu is better than Mason but I like the way that rotation works and Manu can always play at the end of the game anyway.

MoSpur
03-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Last night should be the icing on the cake as far as that project goes. I've been thinking that after every game that Mason looks bad as a backup PG. I've been wrong each time though. Pop keeps going to him though as the backup. So, I think he will continue to do so. I wish he wouldn't.

I have no clue as to why he keeps using Mason as the backup. I'd rather have Manu than Mason if he's not gonna use G Hill

it's me
03-30-2009, 10:51 AM
I’d rather play him center.

InK
03-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Is this still under debate?

rascal
03-30-2009, 11:12 AM
No Mason is not a good backup pg.

spurtech09
03-30-2009, 11:20 AM
sometimes mason looks good at pg and sometimes he doesn't so idk but we all know now that mason is going to be the backup....i prefer hill even though hes a rookie but i like him better as pg over mason

spurtech09
03-30-2009, 11:22 AM
I would have to say no...mason isn't a good pg

rascal
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Disagree.

The difference is Hill was forced into a role when there were no other options. When Ginobili returned, Hill began playing like he didn't want to step on the toes of any of the established veterans. That passiveness has yet to subside.

But I'm confident that once he ups his level of aggression back to where it was early in the season that he has the ability to become a top flight backup point guard.

Hill would be better as a combo guard primarily at the 2. I said all along that Manu coming back will mess up Hill's confidence. Trading Manu and starting Hill at the 2 with some time as backup pg with Mason also getting time at the 2 would have been great for Hill's development.

The team would be better off with a quality big and Hill playing like he did earlier in the season then what you have now, a shallow frontcourt and Manu less than 100% and Hill bench fodder.

All Hill needs is playing time to develope his mental game and his ability will come out.

MoSpur
04-29-2009, 09:26 AM
I knew this would come back to bite the Spurs. Mason is not a good ball handler. He was excellent as a shooting guard. George Hill should've never lost his duties as the backup PG. Thanks a lot Pop.

MoSpur
04-29-2009, 10:47 AM
In case anyone doesn't know, the answer to this thread is NO!!!!!!!!!!

spurtech09
04-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Sometimes mason can be good at pg and theres times he can really suck as pg.....if i were pop i would keep him as a sg.....pop screwed him up at the end....mason can surely make shots

MoSpur
04-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Sometimes mason can be good at pg and theres times he can really suck as pg.....if i were pop i would keep him as a sg.....pop screwed him up at the end....mason can surely make shots

Exactly. He did the same to George Hill.

blackfire12
04-29-2009, 12:38 PM
no he doesn't make a good pg, and in my opinion i think the spurs should trade him IF that's all they want from him, otherwise we will see a continuation of last season