PDA

View Full Version : Gee, thank you Mr. Presdient

DarrinS
03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
From http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1159627/Just-wanted-Barack-Obamas-blockbuster-gift-25-DVDs-Brown-reaffirm-special-relationship.html

He had put clearly great thought into giving the U.S. President lavish gifts to signify Britain's 'special relationship' with the U.S.

During his historic trip to Washington, Gordon Brown gave Barack Obama an ornamental pen holder made from the timbers of the Victorian anti-slave ship HMS Gannet - once called HMS President.

The unique present delighted Mr Obama because oak from the Gannet's sister ship, HMS Resolute, was carved to make a desk that already takes place in the Oval Office in the White House, after being presented by Britain to the US in 1880.

The Prime Minister went to the trouble of hunting down the perfect gift after becoming the first European leader invited to the White House by the new Commander In Chief.

So it would be perfectly understandable if Mr Brown felt a little underwhelmed at the official gift he received in return.

For despite being leader of the world's most bountiful nation, President Obama handed over nothing more thought-provoking than 25 classic American films on DVD.

It was the equivalent of receiving a pair of socks from an unfamiliar aunt at Christmas - and a less-than-glowing affirmation of the UK-US bond.

To be fair, that was a pretty kick ass box set:

1. Citizen Kane

2. The Godfather

3. Casablanca

4. Raging Bull

5. Singing In The Rain

6. Gone With The Wind

7. Lawrence Of Arabia

8. Schindler's List

9. Vertigo

10. The Wizard Of Oz

11. City Lights

12. The Searchers

13. Star Wars: Episode IV

14. Psycho

15. 2001: A Space Odyssey

16. Sunset Boulevard

17. The Graduate

18. The General

19. On The waterfront

20. It's A Wonderful Life

21. China Town

22. Some Like It Hot

23. The Grapes Of Wrath

24. ET: The Extra Terrestrial

25. To Kill A Mocking Bird.

MannyIsGod
03-05-2009, 03:49 PM
:lol

He's made cause he didn't get the secret santa gift he wanted. I'll take the box set if he doesn't want it.

LnGrrrR
03-05-2009, 04:23 PM
What, no Matrix? No Terminator II? No Rush Hour? This boxed set is a travesty! :rollin

balli
03-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Those are some kick ass movies, but it would have been more appropriate to hook up an original reel or something. I'm sure at the end of the day Brown doesn't give a fuck and actually... the more I think about it, who the hell would rather have a pen holder over 25 of the greatest movies ever?

Crookshanks
03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Obama is showing himself as a rude and arrogant SOB - so much for "restoring" the image of America.

Michelle is just as bad - Mrs. Brown gave very thoughtful gifts to Sasha and Malia; but what did the Obamas give the Brown children - two models of Marine One! WOW - he can spend $100 a pound for steak for his parties, but he can't do a better job of selecting gifts for the children of America's staunchest ally?

The Obamas are showing their true colors - and it's not a pretty sight.

ChumpDumper
03-05-2009, 04:32 PM
This is important!

coyotes_geek
03-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Obama stole this from W. Of course W's movie gift pack was full of Police Academy sequels, but still...................

balli
03-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Obama is showing himself as a rude and arrogant SOB - so much for "restoring" the image of America.

Michelle is just as bad - Mrs. Brown gave very thoughtful gifts to Sasha and Malia; but what did the Obamas give the Brown children - two models of Marine One! WOW - he can spend $100 a pound for steak for his parties, but he can't do a better job of selecting gifts for the children of America's staunchest ally?

The Obamas are showing their true colors - and it's not a pretty sight.

Well it could be worse. For example he could be routinely forgetting and/or mispronouncing foreign leaders names. Or in lieu of that, he could be giving them ridiculous and insulting nicknames.

ChumpDumper
03-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Just give backrubs.

Everybody loves backrubs.

http://www.manualfordemocracy.com/Humor/Images/bush_groping_merkel.jpg

baseline bum
03-05-2009, 04:44 PM
A pen-holder vs. 25 DVDs? :lmao

I'd rather have 25 blank DVDs, much less 25 great films on DVD, as opposed to a freaking pen holder.

jack sommerset
03-05-2009, 04:46 PM
What a worthless waste of time reading that article.

Marcus Bryant
03-05-2009, 04:49 PM
The Brits like to dump on the Yanks when they can.

DarrinS
03-05-2009, 04:50 PM
A pen-holder vs. 25 DVDs? :lmao

I'd rather have 25 blank DVDs, much less 25 great films on DVD, as opposed to a freaking pen holder.

Something tells me you can't get that particular pen holder on Amazon.

doobs
03-05-2009, 04:53 PM
This is easy. Obama gave Brown something that his aunt could have gotten him. Brown gave Obama something only the British Prime Minister could have gotten him. Brown wins. (Or does he lose?)

Funny comment from the article: Re-gifter! I sent those DVD's to Obama three weeks ago.

ChumpDumper
03-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Why is there a winner or loser?

balli

Yeah, but it's still a fucking pen holder. Carve it out of Jesus's cross, it's still a fucking pen holder.

Wild Cobra

No kidding. I wonder how many thousands of dollars such a rare item is?

baseline bum
03-05-2009, 04:56 PM

It still just holds pens. I don't get this fascination people have with collecting crap just because it's rare.

Marcus Bryant
03-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Anyways, that was a pretty lame gift for the POTUS to be handing out to the British PM. If Bush had done it then I guess it would have been humorous, while Brown would have handed over a token of incalculable value.

ChumpDumper
03-05-2009, 05:02 PM
I agree it's a lame gift. I just don't see why it matters.

clambake
03-05-2009, 05:11 PM
in this economy, and you dickheads think he should have spent a fortune on gifts for someone who already has everything.

crooks, you suck.

doobs
03-05-2009, 05:13 PM
It still just holds pens. I don't get this fascination people have with collecting crap just because it's rare.

Yeah. History sucks, too.

balli
03-05-2009, 05:14 PM
crooks, you suck.
+1 Crookshanks is a dangerous type of person. By far the most hateful republican on the board. Which speaks very low for her.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Don't underestimate this gift. Reagan cemented some of the strongest ties ever with Britain by giving Thatcher a Tears for Fears mix tape he made during her first official visit.

Oh, Gee!!
Wait...what was it that Dubya got Tony Blair?

Oh yeah, fired.

baseline bum
Yeah. History sucks, too.

It's just wood. Who gives a shit?

balli
03-05-2009, 05:23 PM

Oh yeah, fired.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

TheProfessor
03-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Ceremonial gift v. functional gift. I'd go with the movies, but I'm a film nut.

DarrinS
03-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Don't underestimate this gift. Reagan cemented some of the strongest ties ever with Britain by giving Thatcher a Tears for Fears mix tape he made during her first official visit.

:lmao

Jekka
03-05-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't really have a problem with a "cheap" gift considering our current economic circumstances. Yeah, it's kind of a lame gift, but how big a fit would the conservatives have pitched if he'd spent any more money than that? Maybe that's underestimating conservatives, but I think with gift-giving that Obama was screwed either way here.

Winehole23
03-05-2009, 09:32 PM
- he can spend $100 a pound for steak for his parties, but he can't do a better job of selecting gifts for the children of America's staunchest ally?He will next time. Obama can read and I'm pretty sure he saw the look on their faces.

But yeah, the contrast with Mr. Brown's personally selected gift made Obama look thoughtless and lame.

Sounds like the Obamas were more ceremonious with their gifts, the Browns more considerate and personal with theirs. They may also have slightly revealed their very typical midwestern thriftiness (some would call it chintziness). Protocol is a bitch.

There's a learning curve for everything, so I'd be surprised if Obama doesn't pick up his game. You're welcome to judge him on this all by itself CS, but I wouldn't take it as a predictor of anything.

PixelPusher
03-05-2009, 11:03 PM
I wonder if the DVDs are NTSC or PAL...

MannyIsGod
03-06-2009, 01:15 AM

Oh yeah, fired.

:lmao