PDA

View Full Version : Halo Wars review

Brutalis
03-05-2009, 04:23 PM
I wasn't going to buy this game until I saw reviews and such. But my dad ended up getting it for me as a gift cause he remembered I played Halo I suppose.

Well I played it. Boring. Too easy of controls, and I dislike how you can't personalize things a bit. Usually when I play a new game and turn it off I'll pick it up again when I'm home and bored, but I have no desire. It's just sitting there.

Disappointed in the game, but no loss to me. The story behind Halo is awesome after reading the books and such. But the game is just boring to me. That's my review for ya. Short and to the point.

PM5K
03-05-2009, 04:26 PM
I'll give you eight bucks for it...

Creepn
03-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Shame, I really wanted this game to be successful. I played the demo and wasnt captivated but I would spend my time playing it anway if I had it.

BlackSwordsMan
03-05-2009, 06:28 PM
10$

sabar
03-05-2009, 06:29 PM
So how is it compared to other RTS? Ignoring the fact that its on a console and probably has funny controls.

balli
03-05-2009, 07:33 PM
So how is it compared to other RTS? Ignoring the fact that its on a console and probably has funny controls.

The camera absolutely sucked. I was expecting the ability to zoom right in, move wherever, as if it were a replay camera in Madden or something. But you're stuck in this weird angle/position relative to your army.

I've never played an RTS, but I'd just say that the demo was under-whelming. The media consensus seems to be that Halo Wars is a good introduction to the genre for people who may not have the time or willpower for epic and sprawling RTS's. However, after playing it, I mainly felt like going out and getting a real RTS as opposed to Halo Wars. Time consumption/depth be damned. It felt like it was barely scratching the surface of what an RTS could be... which I guess was the point; accessibility, but yeah, I was left wanting more.

BlackSwordsMan
03-06-2009, 12:21 AM
$11.01

Spur-Addict
03-06-2009, 12:24 AM
$-11.02

BlackSwordsMan
03-06-2009, 12:51 AM
$1, bob

Creepn
03-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Ill give you $20 for it, seriously.

LnGrrrR
03-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Just turn it into WalMart so you can get Resident Evil 5.

Brutalis
03-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Just turn it into WalMart so you can get Resident Evil 5.

Will they let me do that? Game is opened but I have the receipt.

BlackSwordsMan
03-06-2009, 04:10 PM
doubt it

Creepn
03-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Will they let me do that? Game is opened but I have the receipt.

Don't think you can make a swap for it but they will refund the game even if its opened. I returned a lot of stuff to walmart that I had opened. My car battery died in Dallas so I bought a car booster for 40 bucks from walmart, boosted my car and returned that sucka back. lol

ATRAIN
03-07-2009, 01:34 PM
How is the online play on it?

BruceBowenFan
03-07-2009, 03:12 PM
How is the online play on it?

i have enjoyed the online so far, when playing 2 vs 2 it is difficult because because if you and a friend are not on the same page, you will lose. Overall i like the game not bad for being on a console.

manufan10
03-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Did you get the mythic maps for halo 3?

z0sa
03-11-2009, 02:23 PM
I have seen Halo Wars played for a couple hours, ddn't play it myself but I'm a huge RTS buff, going way back to WarCraft 2 and StarCraft. Long story short, if you want to see how a real RTS gets pulled off on consoles, check out C&C3:Tiberium Wars and its expansion. CNC3 has great graphics, sound etc and will leave you awed at the battlefield and its inhabitants. Someone mentioned how camera sucks in Halo Wars - the camera is great in CNC, you can zoom in or out and see it from any different angle imaginable pretty easily. The sides' balance I'm not sure of in HWars, but in CNC3 its impeccable - each faction can beat any other faction in the right hands. Besides all of this, the biggest problem with any console RTS is controls - and CNC3 pulls them off just about as well as you could want on a big hunk of plastic and not a keyboard/mouse.

Overall, I'd personally say, without any amount of actual playing time on HWars mind you, that you'd be better off playing a computer RTS or CNC3.

Brutalis
03-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Well I beat the game. The cinema cuts are just awesome, but the game still sucked. For the reasons I stated in the first post.

And I'm trading the game in for a new one. Any suggestions?

BlackSwordsMan
03-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Re5