PDA

View Full Version : Article about Suns owner TAUNTING THE SPURS and Spurs playin mind games

DuncanMVP
03-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Spurs playing with Suns' heads

Dan Bickley
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 10, 2005 12:00 AM

Buckle up, basketball fans. If the Suns and the Spurs meet again this season, the stakes will be through the roof.

Robert Sarver took care of that.

Livid over the Spurs' mysterious decision to rest Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, the incoming Suns owner put on his own marquee performance Wednesday at America West Arena, one that got the attention of the visitors' bench.

He screamed at Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to put his headline players in the game. More than once, he stood up from his courtside seat and flapped his arms like a chicken. And near the end of the first half, he and a couple of friends engaged in a derogatory chant aimed at the opponent.

"Varsity! Varsity! Varsity!"

It was a night when we're all lucky that Sarver didn't possess a giant foam finger with the middle digit extended. Just as alarming, it was a night when the Suns struggled to beat a team that was casually resting its two All-Star performers.

Hopefully, it will not be a night that comes back to haunt a team with championship dreams.

"Yeah, we saw (Sarver), and I have no comment on that," the Spurs' Robert Horry said. "Me, personally, I just think he's trying to be another Mark Cuban. You know? Get your own identity."

Alas, if this were a night where it felt like the losers won and the winners lost, it isn't far from the truth. Only a 44-point performance from Amaré Stoudemire saved the hosts from serious embarrassment, and one can only imagine the fallout if the Suns had dropped a game handed to them on a platter.

So what was supposed to be a defining moment in the season - a showdown that would test the Spurs' psychological advantage over a Suns' team that beefed up its bench since their last meeting - quickly digressed into a party stocked with stale beer.

The indestructible Ginobili was scratched with three different ailments, even though he was nowhere to be found on the Spurs' pregame list of potentially injured players. Duncan was scratched in deference to his sprained right ankle, even though he played 30 minutes the night before.

"This last sprain really bothers me because we're so close to playoff time," Popovich said. "I don't think back to back games make sense."

Sorry, what doesn't make sense is bringing back Duncan for a surprise return against the Nets on Tuesday, then resting him against the Suns, in a game that could eventually decide the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference playoffs.

Clearly, Popovich took a gamble. He didn't want to lose to the Suns at full strength, which could've bolstered the growing confidence in Phoenix. Conversely, if the Suns prevailed against the Spurs' makeshift lineup, it would prove absolutely nothing.

But if the Spurs won without their two All-Stars, there could be psychological scar tissue plaguing the Suns in a playoff rematch. It almost happened, and even with the in-game loss of Quentin Richardson due to a mild concussion, that is hard to swallow.

When the news about the Spurs' sudden injuries came down, Suns coach Mike D'Antoni immediately knew there was trouble. Anticipating the chance to make a major statement, the Suns were suddenly in a no-win situation. The last time this happened - a game against the Grizzlies when Memphis scratched some key players before tip-off - the Suns quickly lost their intensity, their focus and the game.

Fans didn't see this one coming, either, and outside, a scalper said he was getting $150 for single tickets, peddling his product to fans unaware of the changes in the Spurs' starting lineup. When the scalper heard that Duncan and Ginobili weren't playing, he looked to make sure no potential customers were around.

"I think I'll keep my lips zipped on that one," he said.

In the end, Sarver may have wished he'd done the same.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/0310bickley0310.html

SirChaz
03-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Bickley is a hack.

DuncanMVP
03-10-2005, 01:48 PM
I hate the Suns with a passion now, I hate them as much as the Heat

SirChaz
03-10-2005, 01:49 PM

Hate doesn't seem to be a problem for you.

Have you considered therapy?

DuncanMVP
03-10-2005, 01:55 PM
get that ugly picture out of your avator

SirChaz
03-10-2005, 01:58 PM
If you mean avatar, I was going to change it but if it bothers you I think I'll keep it for a while.

Maybe I'll make it bigger.

FromWayDowntown
03-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Bickley is a hack.

That may be true, but Sarver's actions were unseemly, at best, and those unseemly actions were certainly newsworthy, given the guy's station as Suns' owner.

I don't buy the idea that the Spurs will somehow be extra motivated to beat Phoenix when next they meet because of anything Sarver did. That motivation comes entirely from within. The Suns are a hurdle on the path the Spurs want to run.

It is funny, though, that every year, there seems to be a new franchise/owner fighting for respectability and whose quest causes them to take some shot at the Spurs. Minnesota rolled out Jesse Ventura in 2001. Cuban's Revenge Tour idea the same year and his antics since, and now this. I guess when you're the big dog, the contenders will take a shot -- however they're able.

DuncanMVP
03-10-2005, 02:16 PM
When your the NBA team that's a title lock owners will take shots

SirChaz
03-10-2005, 02:21 PM
That may be true, but Sarver's actions were unseemly, at best, and those unseemly actions were certainly newsworthy, given the guy's station as Suns' owner.

I don't buy the idea that the Spurs will somehow be extra motivated to beat Phoenix when next they meet because of anything Sarver did. That motivation comes entirely from within. The Suns are a hurdle on the path the Spurs want to run.

It is funny, though, that every year, there seems to be a new franchise/owner fighting for respectability and whose quest causes them to take some shot at the Spurs. Minnesota rolled out Jesse Ventura in 2001. Cuban's Revenge Tour idea the same year and his antics since, and now this. I guess when you're the big dog, the contenders will take a shot -- however they're able.

Lets just say I was not impressed with Sarver's actions or Bickley's article.

LakerGod
03-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Cheap and pathetic are the only two words to describe what the spursies did.

ZStomp
03-10-2005, 02:23 PM

Damn...those are some strong words.

What's the big deal.

Save your 'hate'.....

FromWayDowntown
03-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Lets just say I was not impressed with Sarver's actions or Bickley's article.

I think that's fair.

Ultimately, I think last night was basically meaningless, but if Suns were looking for a shot of confidence coming out of that game, I can't really see that they got it. I don't read Bickley, so I can't really comment on how this column compares to others, but I did think that he made some points that corresponded with my observations.

LakerGod
03-10-2005, 02:30 PM
I think that's fair.

Ultimately, I think last night was basically meaningless, but if Suns were looking for a shot of confidence coming out of that game, I can't really see that they got it. I don't read Bickley, so I can't really comment on how this column compares to others, but I did think that he made some points that corresponded with my observations.
This third game was the real measuring stick between the 2 teams, the first game was early in the season and the second...well, you know the Suns didn't have a bench...

So this game was pivotal for both teams and the spursies blew it!

Say bye bye to the number one seed.

FromWayDowntown
03-10-2005, 02:31 PM
This third game was the real measuring stick between the 2 teams, the first game was early in the season and the second...well, you know the Suns didn't have a bench...

Sure thing, guru.

samikeyp
03-10-2005, 02:34 PM

Hate's a little strong bro. Its still just a game.

Ishta
03-10-2005, 02:40 PM

Go home young one. :lol

SirChaz
03-10-2005, 02:52 PM
I think that's fair.

Well I think the Suns (and Sarver) were disappointed. They feel like they have improved lately and wanted that measuring stick. I don't think a whole lot can be taken from the game other than the fact that the Suns could use some more focus.

The best line was in Bordow's article. "The Suns paid attention just long enough to win". Just like in the second game when the Suns went up 17 then lost focus and the Spurs made them pay. They may be improving but it seems like they still haven't learned the lesson.

The crucible of the playoffs will be a good but unforgiving teacher. Hopefully they are quick learners and get a chance to face the Spurs again.

BronxCowboy
03-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Even though I don't like the Suns and don't agree with all of your takes, I've got to say, SirChaz, you're much more eloquent than your namesake. :lol

ZStomp
03-10-2005, 03:54 PM

Why do you hate the Heat?

Kori Ellis
03-10-2005, 03:57 PM
LakerGod, last warning ... post with substance or you will be banned for 2 weeks.

Thanks.

Solid D
03-10-2005, 04:03 PM
I think LG has been posting with a substance. :smokin

DuncanMVP
03-10-2005, 04:46 PM
I hate the Heat because I hate Shaqueer

I hate the Suns because of cocky Amare and the owner who taunts the Spurs during the game

alamo50
03-10-2005, 05:00 PM
"could've bolstered the growing confidence in Phoenix"

We did.
They couldn't whip our asses without them 2 All-Stars.
Brilliant move by Pop.
Could not have gone wrong.

benjirh
03-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Even though I understand the move.(if that is what Pop was actually doing) I don't know how pleased I am with it. Another game seperation could have been huge as we head down the stretch. I think it was fine to rest Duncan. Personally he shouldn't have played yesterday. But Manu should have been out there. Why not see what you can do against the Suns with everyone but Timmy? Plus I hate to see a loss even if it was for mind game purposes. Just my thoughts.

td4mvp21
03-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Cheap and pathetic.

I think those were very good moves by Pop, messing with their minds like that. Let's just remember what happened last time Phoenix started taunting us. I am beginning to hate Phoenix as well. They are basically becoming the Lakers of yesteryears-they boast, they win, and get all the attention. I think that was very imature of the Suns owner to do that; I would expect that from a three year-old, not an adult.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Just two weeks? I don't think I've ever seen him post anything of any substance. Save some bandwidth costs and send him packing. Die troll die.

milkyway21
03-10-2005, 08:19 PM
LakerGod, last warning ... post with substance or you will be banned for 2 weeks.

Thanks.
:p :p :p

LakerGod & Suns' owner have no CLASS. JUST FULL OF :blah :blah :blah
YOU BELONG TOGETHER.

Duff McCartney
03-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Man that guy is an idiot...he's become as big a goon as Mark Cuban. Except Mark Cuban is still more annoying.

Amare Stoudemire is starting to annoy me...big time. It seems the only thing that guy can do is dunk the ball.

SequSpur
03-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Drama sells tickets.

boutons
03-10-2005, 09:50 PM
"It seems the only thing that guy can do is dunk the ball."

huh? From nothing last year, he's now got a very fine mid-range jumper ( I wish several of the Spurs could shoot so well), and he hits his FTs respectably, plus lotsa scoring moves in the paint that don't end up in dunks. He's quite a multi-facted offensive machine (esp when fed by Steve).

But he a fucking punkass jerk. Somebody needs to go up with him on one of his dunks and destroy the ball with both hands. I bet Manu will when the chance presents itself. He's done that post-dunk stare-down shit way too much. Somebody needs crack his body a few times, put the fear into him.

TMTTRIO
03-10-2005, 11:27 PM
I still enjoy seeing that dunk that Manu did on Marion and Amare:). I hope he does it on Amare if we play them in the playoffs.

Rydia
03-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Yes Yes I know this thread is a bit old....but that game is clear in my mind.

About Half time my sister and I were still proud spurs fans....proud to be wearing Rasho and Malik Jerseys....proud to be a citizens of Arizona...and still be Spurs fans.

The only thing everyone is sore about is how we almost kicked their butts...hahaha I can't believe Suns and Lakers fans came to this Spurs site to talk about it. That's pretty lame...please no bandwagoners... Spurs don't need that.

Anyway...that was the best game... TAUNTING??? Yeah more like bringing their power out more...too good...I've never seen the Suns looking more scared in my life!! You should have seen my Uncle who is a Suns fan...he was more angry then when he loses!

:blah :blah

T Park
03-16-2005, 07:57 PM
proud to be wearing Rasho and Malik Jerseys

word on the Rasho jersey :)