PDA

View Full Version : EVT: Popovich focused on big picture

SirChaz
03-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Popovich focused on big picture
By Scott Bordow, Tribune Columnist

A scalper was working the street outside America West Arena Wednesday when he overheard a reporter say Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobli weren’t going to play against the Suns.

"Hey, don’t tell nobody," the scalper said.

Too late.

The word was out. San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich was giving the injured Duncan and Ginobli the night off and, just like that, you could cut the tension with a broken plastic fork.

"My tickets were going pretty good until people found out that Duncan and Ginobli weren’t playing," a second scalper said. "Then it was like, pfftttt."

The Suns were deflated as well. They were eager to prove they could beat the best team in the league, the only team they hadn’t defeated this season.

Instead, they got San Antonio’s junior varsity squad and paid attention just long enough to win, 107-101.

"We just had a letdown," said Suns coach Mike D’Antoni. . . . "It happens when you’re psyched up for a game. Then when their two stars are out you turn it down a notch."

The Suns turned it down so far they nearly suffered their most embarrassing defeat of the season.

The conspiracy theorists in the crowd and the pressroom accused Popovich of playing mind games with the Suns.

Supposedly, Popovich wanted Phoenix to enter the postseason riddled with angst, knowing it hadn’t beaten San Antonio when the Spurs were at full strength.

The theory gained some credence when Duncan (sprained ankle) and Ginobli (knee, shoulder, groin) played Tuesday night against the New Jersey Nets.

Twenty-four hours later, they were too hurt to play?

It was a juicy angle.

If it had been true.

The not-so-sexy reality was that Duncan’s ankle swelled up after the New Jersey game, and Popovich was concerned how it would hold up in back-to-back contests.

As for Ginobli, his entire body was hurting, Popovich said, and with the Spurs not playing again until Saturday, he wanted to give his two stars three-days rest.

Makes sense. So does this: Popovich wouldn’t sit his best players in a game that might decide home-court advantage in the Western Conference.

Instead, he understandably sacrificed one victory for the big picture.

"We need to get those guys healthy or it will be an early vacation for us," Popovich said.

The unintended result, of course, is that the Suns still don’t know if they can hang with the Spurs should they meet in the Western Conference finals.

They were blown out in San Antonio in late December, surrendered a 17-point lead at home in January and, on Wednesday, barely survived against Robert Horry, Devin Brown and Mike Wilks.

"We definitely didn’t put any fear in Duncan and Ginobli’s eyes, that’s for sure," D’Antoni said.

No, what they did was water the seed of doubt in their own mind. This game will be forgotten come June, but the residue won’t.

The Suns are now tied with the Spurs for the best record in the Western Conference, but that’s just a line of agate in the morning newspaper.

San Antonio has the trophies, the pedigree and Duncan.

Until the Suns prove otherwise, the Spurs are still the best in the West.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=37724

ShoogarBear
03-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Nice, non-homer article. If anything, it was Spur-biased.

Classy move by a Sir Chaz to post this.

Suns fans here are all okay by me.

tekdragon
03-10-2005, 02:16 PM
Amen, Shoog...we've had some great contributions by the Phoenix contingent of late. If we could just get rid of a few Laker fans now (of course, not you adidas)...

Great decision by Pop, great effort by our boys.

Excellent game by Amare and Nash. Steve is really putting up some sick assist numbers this year, it's beautiful to watch that man run the point.

Watching the game, I was talking some shit to Amare (they can hear you through the tv, can't they? Someone needs to tell my wife that, she doesn't seem to believe it), telling him how "he wouldn't be doing that if Tim were in"...but he probably would have had a similar game. Either way, he did exactly what he was supposed to do. Take advantage of mis-matches and dominate the paint. Props to him. The way he was playing, he would have had a big game if Tim and Bill Russell were both in there. I love it when players get fired up for big matchups. Amare-Duncan is the new KG-Duncan. He gets up for Spurs games, making for a great matchup.

The 800 turnovers by the Suns were a fluke, though. I think the Suns slacked a little knowing they were playing our bench and were surprised by the effort the Spurs gave, but there's little chance of that happening again. If we meet up with the Suns in the playoffs, they'll be ready, regardless of who's playing for the Silver and Black. They were definitely disappointed that they didn't get the chance to send the message they were trying to send.

I gotta give it to Pop. The fact that the Spurs made a game of it without our two All-Stars isn't going to shake the Suns confidence, but they've gotta wonder. They never got the chance to prove to themselves that they can beat the Spurs at full strength, and while that doesn't convince them that they can't, they're just not going to have that swagger if the two teams meet up. Look at the demeanor of the Rockets...they know they can beat the Spurs, and you can read that all over their body language as soon as they step on the floor. They're totally fearless. Pop did a great job of not giving the Suns that opportunity, while getting our key players some much needed rest. Best coach in the league.

ShoogarBear
03-10-2005, 04:23 PM
I will give Amare one thing. The boy is the hardest dunker I've ever seen.

It's like you don't see his arm from the time he starts the dunk until the ball is through the net.

Hook Dem
03-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Nice post Sir Chaz. You are an objective poster and I always read your material with interest. Who in their right mind is gonna fault you for backing your team? Not me!

boutons
03-10-2005, 06:05 PM
This is cool. I've unIGNOREd SirChaz. :)

Suns were ready to apply maximum force to the Spurs, but Pop stepped back, and the Suns nearly fell on their face, and looked pretty bad. :)

CIA Pop was able to rest his boys AND still leave Suns wondering, under a black cloud of doubt, whether they have what it takes.

duncan2k5
03-10-2005, 06:32 PM
yo tekdragon you are so right. they can hear us when we talk through the TV. many times ive found myself trash talkin against may ppl and i can actually see their confidence shaken

T Park
03-10-2005, 06:59 PM
CIA Pop was able to rest his boys AND still leave Suns wondering, under a black cloud of doubt, whether they have what it takes.

Ding Ding Ding.

Mission accomplished Id say.

Jdspur20
03-10-2005, 07:31 PM
thanks for posting the article sirchaz

ShoogarBear
03-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Suns were ready to apply maximum force to the Spurs, but Pop stepped back, and the Suns nearly fell on their face, and looked pretty bad. :)

Nice image.

E20
03-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Sir Chaz is probably the best non-Spurs fan on the board.

SirChaz
03-10-2005, 11:10 PM
I'd be suprised if the Suns confidence was shaken too bad. I think they understand they didn't play very well.

Richardson said today that they wanted to play against Duncan and Manu but he didn't care why they were out.

Personally I am willing to accept Popovich at his word that he is looking at the bigger picture. The mind games angle seems like he is out smarting himself a little.

milkyway21
03-10-2005, 11:48 PM
if the Suns almost got beaten by the "varsity" team how can they beat the Spurs team?

SirChaz
03-11-2005, 02:41 AM
if the Suns almost got beaten by the "varsity" team how can they beat the Spurs team?

Not that I defend his actions but, to clarify, he was calling for the varsity. As opposed to the junior varsity.

Very simply the Suns had a let down and lost thier focus. Are you saying the Suns don't have the talent to beat the Spurs if both teams are healthy?

johnny00
03-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Are you saying the Suns don't have the talent to beat the Spurs if both teams are healthy?
Not in a seven game series.

T Park
03-11-2005, 04:56 PM
I agree, I read an article today in the Houston Chronicle where they think, in a nutshell defense and half court offense is overrated, and that they can go all the way with there style of play.

I respectfully disagree with the premise that defense is not usefull enough to just be left behind.

last two teams that won the ring were good defensively.

Defense wins championships.