PDA

View Full Version : George Hill might just be hitting the rookie wall after all...

lefty
03-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Timvp, I know you're a bit worried, but there is no reason to panic; I think Georgy is just hitting that wall.

He should be fine in a few weeks in my opinion; sure, expect to see Mason, JV (and Manu if he comes back soon enough) get Hill's minutes the the PG position, but I'm sure Pop and his coaching staff will make sure he gets trough the 2nd half of the season smoothly.

This kid is alright, and won't be the second coming of Beno

:flag:

Solid D
03-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Pop lobotomized him.

Thompson
03-06-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing if he improves in the next year or so with his finishing/shooting, like Tony did.

lefty
03-06-2009, 12:31 AM
I dont think so, I think there is only so many shots to go around so if he isnt feeling it early he works on being a defender and getting everyone else involved. Im sure thats really what Pops wants from him anyway. I would like him to be more aggresive and take it at people and try to finish or draw fouls but he is doing Ok.

With Gooden on board he will likely only get 1 or 2 shots per game now so he just needs to spell TP with 12 good min of D and rebounding thats all we need with Mase and Gooden in the fold.

Good points

Even if he doesn't score a lot, he is still an upgrade over JV

But I have the feeling Pop will ask him to be more aggressive on the offensive end anyway.

Pop can be tough on his young PG's , even on TP during his first seasons in San Anton'

Spursmania
03-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Hill is going to do a lot of growing up this year,especially during the play-offs. His balls will be bigger next year.

lefty
03-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Hill is going to do a lot of growing up this year,especially during the play-offs. His balls will be bigger next year.

Which might hinder his jump.

timvp
03-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Why is this addressed to timvp?

Dr. Gonzo
03-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi timvp!!

duncan228
03-06-2009, 12:38 AM

It seems timvp was a bit worried.

TheDarkSide.
03-06-2009, 12:38 AM

you speak in 3rd person?

timvp
03-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Hi timvp!!Hi.

Solid D
03-06-2009, 12:40 AM
http://www.timvp.com/me.jpg
timvp looks a little concerned

timvp
03-06-2009, 12:41 AM
:lol @ the timvp impostor.

Solid D
03-06-2009, 12:42 AM
:smokin goin' old school.

lefty
03-06-2009, 01:01 AM

Because in recent game thoughts, you expressed concerns about Hill

Spursmania
03-06-2009, 01:16 AM
Because in recent game thoughts, you expressed concerns about Hill

Nice avatar change:lol

lefty
03-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Nice avatar change:lol

bigdog
03-06-2009, 01:59 AM
I'd rather have Hill hit the rookie wall now, instead of at the end of the season and the playoffs.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-06-2009, 02:01 AM
i hope it aiin't the same wall Beano hit

Spur|n|Austin
03-06-2009, 02:10 AM
I'd rather have Hill hit the rookie wall now, instead of at the end of the season and the playoffs.

Agreed, Pop should help him through it, he's learned from past rooks.

raspsa
03-06-2009, 02:34 AM
He should just be ready to play whatever minutes are available when TP is on the bench. Double his effort on defense. crash the boards when possible and drive hard to the basket at every opportunity. Pop will appreciate the efoort, if not the results.

bigdog
03-06-2009, 03:28 AM
Agreed, Pop should help him through it, he's learned from past rooks.

I just hope Pop doesn't treat it the way he did with Beno when Beno completely imploded. Pop didn't play Beno very much when he started sucking and he went into the doghouse.

I think Hill's effort and hustle on defense should be able to keep in the rotation, even if his offense is off.

SenorSpur
03-06-2009, 03:30 AM
To me, Pop is castrating Hill. He needs to let the kid do what he does. Get to the rim, create shots for himself and others and defend the PG for the opposition. I love Mace, but I don't believe it's a good idea to have him as Parker's relief. Let Hill continue growing into the role. Just my 2 cents.

bigdog
03-06-2009, 03:33 AM
To me, Pop is castrating Hill. He needs to let the kid do what he does. Get to the rim, create shots for himself and others and defend the PG for the opposition. I love Mace, but I don't believe it's a good idea to have him as Parker's relief. Let Hill continue growing into the role. Just my 2 cents.

I completely agree. Hill is good when going to the rim. Instead, when he plays alongside Manu, and even Mason, Hill brings the ball up the court, passes it to one of the above mentioned players, and runs to the corner.

The only way he becomes a better PG is by playing the position, instead of giving up the ball for someone else to handle.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-06-2009, 03:35 AM
http://www.timvp.com/me.jpg
timvp looks a little concerned

r
o
f
l

m33p0
03-06-2009, 06:01 AM
so i guess Pop didn't take the big red box lightly and has put Shifty on a short leash.

Capt Bringdown
03-06-2009, 08:01 AM

+1
I think Hill brings an open court game that we would be wise to develop and take advantage of, instead of putting the straight-jacket on him.

Hill has been timid of late, but how much of that is because he knows that if he makes a mistake, he will be immediately benched?

Attack the rim, FFS!

Harry Callahan
03-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Attack the rim is right on. He can get there and he needs that aggression. I hope I can watch the game tonight.

I think GH shows a stronger mental makeup that BU.

Notice how well the Kings are doing now that have a starting caliber point guard signed up for the next 5 years?

SenorSpur
03-06-2009, 08:18 AM
This team already shoots WAAAAAAY too many 3-pointers. Having a guy that has the ability to breakdown defenses and slash to the rim is so valuable - especially to the shooter on the outside.

On a side note, many of us (myself included) were dazzled by the dunking prowess of the former Pops Mensa-Bonsu. We first saw it on display versus Cleveland, where he dunked off an alley-oop. The guy that threw the pass off the dead dribble was - George Hill. I was as impressed with the assist from Hill as I was the dunk.

GSH
03-06-2009, 08:32 AM
I completely agree. Hill is good when going to the rim. Instead, when he plays alongside Manu, and even Mason, Hill brings the ball up the court, passes it to one of the above mentioned players, and runs to the corner.

The only way he becomes a better PG is by playing the position, instead of giving up the ball for someone else to handle.

That's not his fault. A good portion of the time, he has been playing the 2. Pop lets him bring the ball down the court because Mason would get stripped, but that doesn't mean he's running the point.

Earlier in the season, he seemed to be feeling good and was knocking down shots. But they stuck him out on the wing, and then wouldn't pass him the ball - even when he was wide open and wanted the shot. I think it was a mistake, but that's spilled milk. This will be a test of his mental toughness, for sure.

It's also possible that he was "in the zone" for a while, like happens with all athletes. He may have looked more developed than he really was, just because he was getting results and some shots were falling. Pop may have been seeing things in practice that we didn't. And he definitely knows that you don't win championships by hoping that your luck holds out.

Or maybe Hill was playing loose, and now he's pressing. Who knows? But going through some ups and downs is part of the development process. If he keeps his head up, and sticks with his assignments, he'll be fine. But, yes, Manu is going to get some backup PG minutes.

TDMVPDPOY
03-06-2009, 09:41 AM
fkn haters

GHILL is always in the zone...pass him the ball damn it

VI_Massive
03-06-2009, 11:38 AM
He's a rookie. He's going to be inconsistent, especially on a veteran team with a notoriously hard to learn system. His defense will keep him on the court. Its the reason we drafted him in the first place. His conversion from a college 2 to a pro 1 will be slow, but his defense will guarantee his playing time and opportunity to develop.

xellos88330
03-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Well, I noticed that once he gets rid of the ball after crossing half court, he very rarely touches it again for the rest of the offensive possession.

Chomag
03-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Well, I noticed that once he gets rid of the ball after crossing half court, he very rarely touches it again for the rest of the offensive possession.

I have also noticed this many times.