PDA

View Full Version : I need a ticket to London!!!!

NameDropper
03-06-2009, 02:06 AM
Michael Jackson Announces 10 Concert Comeback in London (http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2009-03-05-jackson-comeback_N.htm)

LONDON — Michael Jackson will perform 10 concerts in London this summer in a thrilling comeback aimed at restoring his tarnished King of Pop crown.
The reclusive singer made a rare public appearance Thursday to deliver the news to more than 1,500 screaming fans. Wearing a military-style embroidered black shirt with a sequined armband, black trousers and sunglasses, a healthy-looking Jackson spoke in a strong voice as he said the July shows would be his final performances. It was unclear whether he was announcing his retirement from live entertainment.

"This is it. These will be my final shows in London. This is it. I mean it, because, I don't know," Jackson said without elaborating.

"I will be performing the songs my fans want to hear. … This is the final curtain call," Jackson said, followed by a chorus of boos from the crowd. After his brief comments, he thrust his right arm into the air several times, making a peace sign.

The gigs at the 20,000-seat O2 Arena, a residency billed as This Is It, begin July 8. Tickets will sell for $70, $92 and $105 and go on sale March 13. Fans can apply for presale tickets through a lottery at michaeljacksonlive.com.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Europe | Michael Jackson | History | Greenwich | Neverland | O2 Arena | King of Pop | Thriller | We Are | Pollstar | London Underground | Gary Bongiovanni | Invincible | World Music Awards | This Is It
"I love you so much. I really do. You have to know that," Jackson told his fans, many of them crying and holding banners and posters. "I'll see you in July."

Jackson, 50, has been known in recent years mostly for his eccentric behavior, changing appearance and faltering health. He has not toured since his 82-date HIStory world tour in 1996-97, which grossed $178 million. His last studio album was 2001's Invincible. A much-hyped concert at the 2006 World Music Awards in London ended in disappointment, with Jackson muttering just a few bars We Are the World. Several other comeback projects, including a Jackson 5 reunion, never materialized.

But now, Jackson has a major incentive to moonwalk back onto the stage: money. Once one of the world?s wealthiest entertainers, Jackson has struggled with financial difficulties since 2003, when he began battling child-molestation allegations. After his acquittal in 2005, he fell deeper into seclusion and debt. In November, he defaulted on a $24.5 million loan owed on his Neverland ranch. That same month, he settled a lawsuit with the Prince of Bahrain, who sued the singer for $7 million he had invested in projects that were subsequently abandoned.

Though British bookmakers are placing bets that Jackson won't show up for his O2 concerts, the gigs may finally be the real deal. An official website was launched Monday, michaeljackson.com. Posters advertising the shows began appearing in London Underground stations several hours before his announcement.

"People will fly in from all over to see these shows," says Gary Bongiovanni, editor of the touring trade publication Pollstar. "Especially in Europe, where it's not that difficult to travel between countries." He expects the 10 shows to sell out in advance. "Success won't depend on whether it's a good show or not."

Some fans waited more than five hours for Jackson's two-minute appearance, which began 90 minutes late. Many of his most diehard fans were not even alive during Jackson's Thriller days.

"We grew up listening to him," says Iram Tariq, 20, of Greenwich. "We have to go see him. He's the only legend of our time who has attained that level of success."

Says Chloe Brown, 17, of London, "He's an icon, an inspiration." Friend Naomi Smith says she hopes to attend at least two of Jackson's O2 shows.

It's no surprise that Jackson chose to stage his comeback in Europe, where he remains popular. "Americans have been very harsh and critical of him," says Harps Phull, 21, of London. "We are a bit more open-minded, I reckon."

Bongiovanni is skeptical that the shows will mark Jackson's retirement. "We've seen so many (performers announce that, then) retract a few months later, or years later."

But whether success in London could translate to a live-concert comeback in the USA remains to be seen. "You don't know what damage has been done by his legal troubles and general weird behavior," Bongiovanni says. "Would people (here) show up to protest him, or would all of that be forgotten?"

Glad I've got all those frequent flyer miles!!

Viva Las Espuelas
03-06-2009, 02:10 AM
England! Hide your little boys!!!

BlackSwordsMan
03-06-2009, 02:17 AM
In my mind I pictured michael talking in his faggy voice in that interview

tp2021
03-06-2009, 02:20 AM
20,000 x 70 x 10 = at least $14,000,000 if they all sell out.

Damn. That's more money than my entire family will ever see in our lifetimes.

Last Comic Standing
03-06-2009, 02:21 AM
If ST gets you a ticket you promise to just "beat it" ?

Insomniac
03-06-2009, 03:57 AM
He'll sell out. I don't think his face can handle more than 10 shows so the US will have to wait.

JoeChalupa
03-06-2009, 09:06 AM
If he can still perform he'll do a US tour. But who will be the sponsor?

Summers
03-06-2009, 09:39 AM
in a thrilling comeback aimed at restoring his tarnished King of Pop crown.

Not gonna happen.

RandomGuy
03-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Not gonna happen.

Don't forget to do your homework. HA!

Back to work. ;)

CubanMustGo
03-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Will he take that freakin' mask off to sing?

TDMVPDPOY
03-06-2009, 09:45 AM
he probably just mimed man....

Richard Cranium
03-06-2009, 09:57 AM
He's needs money.

phyzik
03-06-2009, 09:58 AM
It's no surprise that Jackson chose to stage his comeback in Europe, where he remains popular. "Americans have been very harsh and critical of him," says Harps Phull, 21, of London. "We are a bit more open-minded, I reckon."

More open-minded to what? Child Molestation?

Well, I reckon your a fucktard.

JudynTX
03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I need a ticket to Amsterdam!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Cranium
03-06-2009, 10:12 AM
I still like his music.