Bonner
Kurt Thomes
Finley
Hill
Bowen

Lakers, see you in WCF :toast

TheSpursFNRule
03-06-2009, 02:33 AM
So no more Manu off the bench? And what makes you think Roger Mason is a small foward, unless im wrong, the guy is getting time at the point guard position not small foward.

Baseline
03-06-2009, 02:39 AM
Crunch-time Lineup
Tim
Drew
Manu
Mase
TP

All five dudes can HURT you. When's the last time that happened?

I agree - this is the best 5 the Spurs have had possibly ever.

L.I.T
03-06-2009, 02:52 AM
No. Not even close.

TheSpursFNRule
03-06-2009, 02:54 AM
The year of Stephen Jackson was the best Spurs team ever. Followed by 99.

spursfaninla
03-06-2009, 03:03 AM
best spurs lineups alltime:

duncan
parker
jackson
robinson
manu

duncan
robinson
sean
avery
ellie

robinson
rodman
sean
avery (shot .519%)
del negro/chuck person

Well, keeping in mind that Duncan was at his peak probably afew years ago, it is pretty close with the current team and these other two years.

SenorSpur
03-06-2009, 03:14 AM
C Gooden 13pt 8rb
PF My Timmy 20pt 10rb
SF Mason 12pt
SG Manu 16pt
PG TP9 21pt 6.6ast
-------------------

Bonner
Kurt Thomes
Finley
Hill
Bowen

Lakers, see you in WCF :toast

I think it's time we all stop ignoring the elephant in the room. Duncan is really a center. Kurt Thomas, Drew Gooden and Matt Bonner are all, in fact, power forwards. Sure Duncan was a true PF when he was paired with Robinson, but it's very obvious that he plays the role of true center and has for some time. Despite TD's qualms to be classified otherwise, he's really a center now.

completely deck
03-06-2009, 03:15 AM
We've got a great team and a great chance to win a lot of games that count, as long as everyone is healthy.

baseline bum
03-06-2009, 03:19 AM
Doesn't really touch the 99 team with David Robinson in his prime shutting down the interior; the 99 team had incredible bigman depth:

Duncan
Robinson
Perdue
Rose

The team hasn't come close to having that physical a PF/C lineup since. Mix in Elie, Elliott, and AJ starting and clutch shooting out of Jaren Jackson and Jerome Kersey, and the '99 team blows away any other team we've ever had in SA. They won an NBA record 12 straight playoff games and absolutely dominated close games.

bigdog
03-06-2009, 03:20 AM
I don't believe this is the best Spurs lineup ever. I truly believe the best lineup was Robinson, Duncan, SJax, Ginobili, and Parker.

L.I.T
03-06-2009, 03:21 AM
doesn't really touch the 99 team with david robinson in his prime shutting down the interior; the 99 team had incredible bigman depth:

Duncan
robinson
perdue
rose

the team hasn't come close to having that physical a pf/c lineup since. Mix in elie, elliott, and aj starting and clutch shooting out of jaren jackson and jerome kersey, and the '99 team blows away any other team we've ever had in sa. They won an nba record 12 straight playoff games and absolutely dominated close games.

+50

bigdog
03-06-2009, 03:23 AM
Doesn't really touch the 99 team with David Robinson in his prime shutting down the interior; the 99 team had incredible bigman depth:

Duncan
Robinson
Perdue
Rose

The team hasn't come close to having that physical a PF/C lineup since. Mix in Elie, Elliott, and AJ starting and clutch shooting out of Jaren Jackson and Jerome Kersey, and the '99 team blows away any other team we've ever had in SA. They won an NBA record 12 straight playoff games and absolutely dominated close games.

If you're talking about most complete team, then probably, but if we're talking about starting 5, I'm not so sure about that.

mathbzh
03-06-2009, 03:35 AM
I don't believe this is the best Spurs lineup ever. I truly believe the best lineup was Robinson, Duncan, SJax, Ginobili, and Parker.

It's open for debate
2009 Parker, Ginobili >>> 2003 Parker, Ginobili
SJax was good but not really better than Mason has been so far.
Robinson was near the end of the road.

What this lineup had was an unstoppable Duncan and better balance (with a true center and a true long SF).

rayray2k8
03-06-2009, 03:37 AM
Easy now, we thought we had the best team back in 2006 and look how that
turned out....

L.I.T
03-06-2009, 03:42 AM
There is no real debate. Unless this team wins a championship it simply cannot be compared to the 99, 03, 05, 07 teams.

Now, if we're talking non-championship teams...I think there may still be ones better than this one.

sheriee84
03-06-2009, 03:48 AM
Any year which included

Tim Duncan
David Robinson
Manu Ginobili
and Tony Parker

Was the best team ever... (03 for arguements sake)

Spur|n|Austin
03-06-2009, 04:08 AM
The best Stephen A. Smith ever??

Dead?

Baseline
03-06-2009, 04:49 AM
That's my point - the 2009 Manu/TP duo > 2003 Manu/TP duo.

Mason is better than SJax because he doesn't turn the ball over 4 times a game.

And sorry, but Robinson in 2003 was not exactly at an elite level.

Right now we have three all-star players, and two legit superstars (a healthy Manu makes three superstars), plus Mason and Gooden, who are both very solid.

And as much as I liked the 99 group, any team with Avery at PG cannot by definition be a great team. The fact that Avery won an NBA title at PG is nothing but a testiment to how good Duncan really is.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-06-2009, 04:54 AM

Duncan
Robinson
Perdue
Rose

This.

No Spurs team comes close to 1999 Spurs.

urunobili
03-06-2009, 08:52 AM
2003 Spurs> 2009 Spurs...

Sec24Row7
03-06-2009, 09:07 AM
I would make an argument for the 2000 Spurs...

Summers
03-06-2009, 09:31 AM
The 2005 team was amazing to watch, imo. They were like a machine on the floor and seemed to just fit together and communicate telepathically. Those were good days. It's mostly the same team now, but it was just smooth that year.

Capt Bringdown
03-06-2009, 09:52 AM

Yep, the '99 Spurs executed at a level we haven't seen since, even in the other championship years.

Creation88
03-06-2009, 09:54 AM
i personally hate Manu handling the ball in the clutch. always let Tony take that responsibility.

romain.star
03-06-2009, 09:57 AM
- Frontcourt: 2005 TD, Horry and Nazr = 2009 TD, Gooden and Bonner

- Backcourt: 2009 TP, 2009 Manu, Mason and Hill >> 2005 TP, 2005 Manu, Beno and Barry

The_Game
03-06-2009, 10:05 AM
That's my point - the 2009 Manu/TP duo > 2003 Manu/TP duo.

Mason is better than SJax because he doesn't turn the ball over 4 times a game.

And sorry, but Robinson in 2003 was not exactly at an elite level.

Right now we have three all-star players, and two legit superstars (a healthy Manu makes three superstars), plus Mason and Gooden, who are both very solid.

And as much as I liked the 99 group, any team with Avery at PG cannot by definition be a great team. The fact that Avery won an NBA title at PG is nothing but a testiment to how good Duncan really is.

tim duncan is the only superstar...to call Manu a superstar is idiotic. Great role player? yes but superstar? no...if he's a superstar then most all-stars are superstars then...parker is no where near superstar level either..what are you on? seriously.

stupid post

hater
03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
fuck no.

Lineup that raped 3 time winning Lakers in LA is the best ever.

timaios
03-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Maybe we should wait to see Gooden play at least 1 game with the Spurs.
Just 1 game... or 10... or 20...
Then we could start to compare the Spurs teams through the ages.

And Tim was a beast in 2003.
And Jax, Tony & Manu were young and crazy. (poor Pop :lol)

Spursmania
03-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Hell yeah, maybe we should let him play a few before we could really compare. But damn I miss the days when the team just flowed. That was sweet...

Dex
03-06-2009, 10:52 AM
fuck no.

While I'll admit that fourth quarter and the lineup that shoved a 20 point lead down the Lakers throats might possibly be one of my favorite Spurs lineups...lets be reasonable. The threepeat Lakers were gone at that point; Jackson was forced to play Cook and and Medvedenko most of that quarter because nobody else would respond.

2003 team had a great mix of talent and an amazing amount of heart, but on paper, I think the 2009 team is more balanced and experienced. We'll have to see what they can do with it.

Dex
03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
tim duncan is the only superstar...to call Manu a superstar is idiotic. Great role player? yes but superstar? no...if he's a superstar then most all-stars are superstars then...parker is no where near superstar level either..what are you on? seriously.

stupid post

Manu has played key roles on 3 championship teams (including a Wade-like 2005 run) AND an Olympic gold by being the dynamo that upset the Dream Team. He's also been named the Argentinean Athlete of the Decade or something like that. Most people will admit that, when healthy, he is one of the most exciting and efficient SGs in the league, and even Kobe himself has shown admiration in Ginobili's game.

I'm not sure if he just needs more Gatorade commercials or what, but if that's not enough for superstardom, then something is wrong with basketball.

Agloco
03-06-2009, 11:10 AM
fuck no.

+1

I'll never forget how Timmy abused Shaq in that series.

Every guy on the floor was a weapon.

urunobili
03-06-2009, 11:12 AM
- Frontcourt: 2005 TD, Horry and Nazr = 2009 TD, Gooden and Bonner

- Backcourt: 2009 TP, 2009 Manu, Mason and Hill >> 2005 TP, 2005 Manu, Beno and Barry

Frountcourt 2003: D-Rob, Duncan, Willis >>>> 2009 TD, Godden, Bonner
Backcourt 2003: Tony, Manu, Jax, Claxton, Bowen, Kerr > 2009 Tony, Manu, Mase, Hill, Findog, Hairston :wakeup

Agloco
03-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Manu has played key roles on 3 championship teams (including a Wade-like 2005 run) AND an Olympic gold by being the dynamo that upset the Dream Team. He's also been named the Argentinean Athlete of the Decade or something like that. Most people will admit that, when healthy, he is one of the most exciting and efficient SGs in the league, and even Kobe himself has shown admiration in Ginobili's game.

I'm not sure if he just needs more Gatorade commercials or what, but if that's not enough for superstardom, then something is wrong with basketball.

The Manu and the Spurs have NEVER gotten all the refs calls like D-Whistle did in 2006.

Ditty
03-06-2009, 12:36 PM
2003 is the best lineup and most expirence with veterans

Robinson
Duncan
Bowen
Jackson
Parker
Willis
Rose
Ferry
Manu
Steve Smith
Speedy
Kerr
Bateer lol
whos missing?

DAF86
03-06-2009, 12:59 PM

stupid post

Well Manu and Parker are closer to beign superstars than you a spurs fan.

Rain318
03-06-2009, 01:20 PM
The best spurs team ever was 2003

Robinson
Duncan
Bowen
Jackson
Parker

Manu
Claxton
Willis
Ferry
Mercer
Rose

Dex
03-06-2009, 01:31 PM
The best spurs team ever was 2003
Mercer

:lmao

EJK5032
03-06-2009, 01:50 PM
when the Spurs had Stephen Jackson, he was just coming into his own.........he was good, but not the assassin that he is now.

quentin_compson
03-06-2009, 03:31 PM

Good post. :tu

When healthy, Manu in my opinion is a top 5 SG in the NBA. In the playoffs, he probably is even top 3, because his experience and his cojones are an even bigger factor there.
While Manu certainly isn't a superstar in terms of marketing value (at least in the US, it might be different in Argentina, though), it's still amazing how underrated this guy is (even here - by some). There is no player in the NBA that could give us what Manu gives us for the amount of money he gets - it's not even close. Larry Hughes, Jason Richardson, Mike Dunleavy are some of the players at SG that can be compared to Manu in terms of salary - I guess we all agree that this is not even a contest.
Which is one of the million reasons why it would have been so crazy to even think about trading him this season.

George Gervin's Afro
03-06-2009, 03:59 PM
C Gooden 13pt 8rb
PF My Timmy 20pt 10rb
SF Mason 12pt
SG Manu 16pt
PG TP9 21pt 6.6ast
-------------------

Bonner
Kurt Thomes
Finley
Hill