View Full Version : Mensah-Bonsu to sign with raptors

jdev82
03-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Mensah-Bonsu to sign with Raptors
Comment Email Print Share
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive
DALLAS -- Pops Mensah-Bonsu didn't make it to the end of a 10-day contract with the San Antonio Spurs, but he won't be out of a job long.

Mensah-Bonsu said Wednesday in Dallas that he will sign with the Toronto Raptors, possibly as soon as Thursday, after getting what NBA front-office sources described as guaranteed offers for the rest of the season from Toronto and the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Mensah-
Bonsu
"It was a tossup," Mensah-Bonsu said after being waived by the Spurs earlier Wednesday to make roster room for the forthcoming arrival in San Antonio of Drew Gooden.

"I think there might be more minutes at my position with the Raptors and they wanted me even before I came to San Antonio. So I decided I'm going to go to Toronto."

Mensah-Bonsu was still traveling with the Spurs on Wednesday as they completed a three-game road trip with a 107-102 loss to the Mavericks. The Spurs had to let Mensah-Bonsu out of the final two days of his contract so they have a spot to plug in Gooden.

The 25-year-old elected to sign a 10-day contract with San Antonio on Feb. 25 despite the Raptors' aggressive pursuit, hoping to eventually convince the Spurs to keep him for the rest of the season.

"I had a couple of great options," Mensah-Bonsu said. "I hoped San Antonio would be a good fit, but I understand the business side of the game. They had a chance to sign a veteran.

"But I'm grateful for my time here. I really wanted to be a part of this organization [and] be around guys like Tim Duncan. I think it's going to help me down the road even though it was a short [stay]."

Sources say that Toronto, clinging to faint hope of sneaking into the playoffs in the East, has targeted Mensah-Bonsu as an energizer for its thin bench after he averaged 26.6 points, 13.0 rebounds and 2.5 blocks during an eight-game stint with San Antonio's D-League affiliate in Austin.

Mensah-Bonsu confesssed, though, that it was difficult to pass on Oklahoma City's offer given his close ties to Thunder forwards Kevin Durant and Jeff Green. Mensah-Bonsu shares a Washington, D.C. area connection with Durant and Green after his time starring at George Washington.

The 6-foot-9 forward wound up appearing in three games in the eight days he spent on San Antonio's roster, averaging 5.0 points and 3.3 rebounds in 6.7 minutes.

He had been out of the NBA since spending the 2006-07 season with Dallas but has been drawing increased attention from league executives since a strong summer showing alongside Chicago Bulls forward Luol Deng on Great Britain's national team and after his stint with the Austin Toros.

Gooden's signing with San Antonio, verbally agreed to Tuesday, is not expected to be completed before Thursday, although Gooden did clear waivers Wednesday.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has only backed slightly off his weeklong refusal to discuss Gooden until he's formally signed, referring Wednesday to Mensah-Bonsu's release by saying: "I think that intuitive people would reasonably read into that move in some way, shape or form."

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

Biggems
03-06-2009, 08:18 AM
I hope he is free to sign with us in the offseason. I like his character off the court. I like his hustle and tenacity on the court. Yes he is a bit raw in some areas.....but that can be fixed with extensive work going against Duncan, Oberto, Thomas, and the like.

Indazone
03-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Banzai as a Raptor..well good for him. I hope he turns out well for them. All-Star in the cards for him in the future? lol

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Banzai as a Raptor..well good for him. I hope he turns out well for them. All-Star in the cards for him in the future? lol

Just an All Star? Dude don't underestimate The Great, now you'll get poop on your ass.

spurspokesman
03-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Go Pops Go!

He's the player you can't hate. Best of luck pops. Keep pushing.

superbigtime
03-06-2009, 10:09 AM
One way or another Spurs are gonna regret this move. Not only losing Pops, but holding onto useless Jacque Vaughn.

EricB
03-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Yeah mensah jabar is gonna go on to be an all star :lmao

venitian navigator
03-06-2009, 10:30 AM
true dat

I think the only reason they decided this way is they thought of Pops like someone with quite like the some skills of Mahinmi (young, athletic, running big) and that having him on the team could have eliminated all of the potential minutes we should give to Ian we he (as soon as possible) 's coming back...

However, imho, Voughn as for now is the fourth or fifth option as a plymake...too much of an insurance.
No question I prefered to cut and give him an assistent coach role instead of give away Pops...

EricB
03-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Yeah instead of having a backup veteran point guard let's keep a 6th bigman just cause he can dunk!!!

superbigtime
03-06-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't understand this whole "insurance policy" outlook on Jacque Vaughn. What insurance can this incapable player possibly give the Spurs? If Tony doesn't play Spurs are screwed anyway. Last year in the playoffs when he would spell Tony 8 or 10 minutes a game, the team would struggle mightily. Does no one recall this?? Is this the kind of insurance people want? JV is USELESS. As far as the coaching take, I really don't see JV talking to the other players on the sideline much at all. Spurs have enough assistants and don't need another token Mario type coach. JV SUCKS ASS. Period.

TDMVPDPOY
03-06-2009, 10:38 AM
cant blame him, since he has to put food on the table in these hard times....good luck to him

m33p0
03-06-2009, 10:47 AM
you asshats will be thanking your lucky stars for JV if Tony has to sit out and Hill struggles against a tough defense.

coyotes_geek
03-06-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't understand this whole "insurance policy" outlook on Jacque Vaughn. What insurance can this incapable player possibly give the Spurs? If Tony doesn't play Spurs are screwed anyway. Last year in the playoffs when he would spell Tony 8 or 10 minutes a game, the team would struggle mightily. Does no one recall this?? Is this the kind of insurance people want? JV is USELESS. As far as the coaching take, I really don't see JV talking to the other players on the sideline much at all. Spurs have enough assistants and don't need another token Mario type coach. JV SUCKS ASS. Period.

Vaughn as a 3rd string PG stands a better chance of helping the Spurs this year than Pops as the 6th big, maybe even the 7th if Mahinmi is healthy for the playoffs.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-06-2009, 10:50 AM
you asshats will be thanking your lucky stars for JV if Tony has to sit out and Hill struggles against a tough defense.

True, but they won't acknowledge it.

Hill will struggle at some point and Vaughn will play in the playoffs, unlike Russell-Chamberlain.

superbigtime
03-06-2009, 10:57 AM

Uh like I said dude, if Tony doesn't play spurs are screwed. You think JV can salvage a game in Tony's absence? Maybe you are still on a high from that unlikely victory in PHX last year. I can give JV credit for playing well for Tony in that game, yes. Probably the apex of his regular season career. But if Tony has to sit I won't be thanking my lucky stars for JV, I will be cursing our bad luck.

superbigtime
03-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Vaughn as a 3rd string PG stands a better chance of helping the Spurs this year than Pops as the 6th big, maybe even the 7th if Mahinmi is healthy for the playoffs.

I seriously doubt that.

EricB
03-06-2009, 11:14 AM
ah goody the middle schoolers don't have class today I see.....

mudyez
03-06-2009, 11:22 AM
perfect:

pops got a new job (congrats)
...and he is in the other conference, so we dont have to face him until the finals! ;)

Old School 44
03-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Keeping Pops wasn't about this year, it was about the future.
I like his potential upside. Sure he's unproven, and he could be a bust, but I already know what I am getting from Jacque Vaughn. And like someone else noted, if we're depending on JVs production for the playoffs, we're already sunk.

MoSpur
03-06-2009, 11:34 AM
He should do good there.

ehz33satx
03-06-2009, 12:02 PM
One way or another Spurs are gonna regret this move. Not only losing Pops, but holding onto useless Jacque Vaughn.

You may think that, but when actual Spurs players are asked their favorite fellow Spur, the first name that pops out is Jacque Vaughn. Their must be something to actually playing alongside him to see his worth.
I too would have liked Pops to have worked here. He was exciting to watch for those few games. He was a pogo stick around the basket. The possibilities!

coyotes_geek
03-06-2009, 12:10 PM
I like his potential upside. Sure he's unproven, and he could be a bust, but I already know what I am getting from Jacque Vaughn. And like someone else noted, if we're depending on JVs production for the playoffs, we're already sunk.

But the playoffs are about this year. Besides, if Pops goes to Toronto and blows up the Spurs have the same chance of being able to sign him as a free agent this offseason as Toronto does. Just like Toronto would have had the same chance to sign Pops this offseason has the Spurs kept him. Let the Raptors figure out if he can play on their nickel and if he can, great, try and get him back. If not, at least the Spurs find that out without having to carry him as dead weight on the roster during a playoff run.

K-State Spur
03-06-2009, 12:43 PM
I seriously doubt that.

we've actually had incidents in the recent past where we needed a 3rd PG. when have we ever needed to go down to the 6th big?

rayray2k8
03-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Pops will shine during garbage time. :)

Old School 44
03-06-2009, 12:54 PM
But the playoffs are about this year. Besides, if Pops goes to Toronto and blows up the Spurs have the same chance of being able to sign him as a free agent this offseason as Toronto does. Just like Toronto would have had the same chance to sign Pops this offseason has the Spurs kept him. Let the Raptors figure out if he can play on their nickel and if he can, great, try and get him back. If not, at least the Spurs find that out without having to carry him as dead weight on the roster during a playoff run.

I don't want him to blow up playing for the Raptors. I wanted him to go into Spurs camp still unproven, then sign on the cheap, then impress during the regular season. If he blows up for the Raptors or anyone, we aren't getting him back.

Also, I like JVs veteran leadership, but I don't see much, if any PT in the playoffs. The rotations are going to be so short. I would just put him in suit as an assistant coach.

Spursmania
03-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Keeping JV is the smartest thing to do for the organization for here and now. I'm not saying he's going t give us these great numbers, I am saying he will hold the ship steady for short periods if Hill is not doing his job or his turning over the ball. Remember when we played Detroit, Udrih sucked and we always needed his backup. I mean Tony needs to rest and if Hill is not keeping the ship steady we need a veteran.

Old School 44
03-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Keeping JV is the smartest thing to do for the organization for here and now. I'm not saying he's going t give us these great numbers, I am saying he will hold the ship steady for short periods if Hill is not doing his job or his turning over the ball. Remember when we played Detroit, Udrih sucked and we always needed his backup. I mean Tony needs to rest and if Hill is not keeping the ship steady we need a veteran.

Manu will be that veteran.

hater
03-06-2009, 02:01 PM
what is the question?

benefactor
03-06-2009, 02:13 PM
?

NFGIII
03-06-2009, 02:18 PM
No but that's not the point. JV would have to be bought out and the Spurs aren't going to do that. They believe that Pops isn't worth that so why don't we just Pops luck with the Raptors and move on?

superbigtime
03-06-2009, 02:31 PM
we've actually had incidents in the recent past where we needed a 3rd PG. when have we ever needed to go down to the 6th big?

Yes we have had occasions IN THE PAST that required using JV, but that no longer applies because we have Mason and Hill as well as Manu. We haven't had a sixth big that I can recall. What I'm saying is that Pops' upside trumps what JV is able to do on the court. Manu or Mason can play limited PG role if need be. That's the way I see it and if others think otherwise, that's okay. No one will convince me that Jacque doesn't suck balls.

G-Nob
03-06-2009, 02:45 PM
:dizzy

YoMamaIsCallin
03-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Please get informed of the reality of the situation before saying crap.

Vaughn is guaranteed this year. Pops wasn't. The Spurs are trying to stay under the luxury tax. End of story.

completely deck
03-06-2009, 03:03 PM
It's possible but we'll never know. Maybe Vaughn could have went to a team that was battling to get Marbury. Who knows?

superbigtime
03-06-2009, 04:19 PM
It was just bad timing for Pops, I think this guy definitely would have beat out Udoka in camp but at this point in this season, Pop isn't going to trust anyone athletic to pick things up. But if Spurs woulda bought out JV's contract (and I think they didn't or couldn't because they were trying to lure Drew Gooden with every $ possible), HELL NO, Jacque Vaughn wouldn't have been picked up by the D-league Rattlers or Vipers, much less an NBA team because HE SUCKS ASS.

EricB
03-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Pops would have cost only $80,000. Buy out JV -whats the nig deal he doesn't contribute anyway. Hoping for huge lead tonite.

JV comes in and has Livingston injury. Put him out of his misery.

Pops would've cost more than that you fucking retard.

Agloco
03-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Pops would have cost only $80,000. Buy out JV -whats the nig deal he doesn't contribute anyway. Hoping for huge lead tonite.

JV comes in and has Livingston injury. Put him out of his misery.

Dude, I'm pretty down on JV too but wishing injury on him just ain't right.

Here's to hoping YOU have a Livingston-type injury.

EricB
03-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Bitch,

He would have gotten minimum prorated ala james white. Thats in the $80,000 range.

BUT THE COST TO CUT VAUGHN IS MORE THAN THAT WICH MEANS THE COST oF HAVING POPS ON THE FUCKING ROSTER IS MORE

GOD FUCKING DAMN

Brazil
03-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Better here than lakers.

Austin_Toros
03-06-2009, 04:38 PM
cant blame him, since he has to put food on the table in these hard times....good luck to him

Through a bunch of 10 day contracts?

sananspursfan21
03-06-2009, 04:46 PM
what a lot of spurs fans seem to be having trouble grasping is that Pop and the the coaching staff like Jacque Vaughan. you guys may wish he will be cut because he seems like dead weight but the truth is that they could've gotten rid of him many times and haven't.

he's not an awful player, he's not great, but sometimes, you need those guys to simply fill your roster and in an emergency situation, play extra minutes.

jacque vaughan is not going anywhere just yet, in popovich's eyes, he's a proven solid veteran that isn't going to make stupid mistakes and that's why he's still there.

it's not like he jacks up ridiculous shots and puts the spurs in a position to lose, so live and let be with him

EricB
03-06-2009, 04:53 PM
jackass,

Manu and Mason are our 3rd and 4th pointguards. If it gets to TP and GH getting hurt you think pop would start runt.

Uh yes he would dumbfuck.

tomtom
03-06-2009, 05:35 PM
glad to see him get a spot somewhere, he will be missed

Mr Bones
03-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Good for Pops... he has played hard and earned his nba call ups. I wish him the best of luck.

Also, if Tony and Hill got hurt in the playoffs, I'd bet that Mason would start at PG. I've got nothing against JV, but I can't see him starting ahead of Mason against the Lakers or Celtics...

CubanMustGo
03-06-2009, 07:08 PM
As a Brit, Pops will be right at home in a Commonwealth country. Good luck to him.

crc21209
03-06-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm watching the Raptors-Heat game right now and so far Pops has 4 boards in 5 mins of play but no points yet. He just seems like hes a body out there so far, nothing spectacular.

tomtom
03-06-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm watching the Raptors-Heat game right now and so far Pops has 4 boards in 5 mins of play but no points yet. He just seems like hes a body out there so far, nothing spectacular.

4 rebounds in 5 minutes is stellar...

CubanMustGo
03-06-2009, 08:14 PM
4 rebounds in 5 minutes is stellar...

He had an assist too, and a +/- of +5 during his five minutes. :tu

m33p0
03-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Uh like I said dude, if Tony doesn't play spurs are screwed. You think JV can salvage a game in Tony's absence? Maybe you are still on a high from that unlikely victory in PHX last year. I can give JV credit for playing well for Tony in that game, yes. Probably the apex of his regular season career. But if Tony has to sit I won't be thanking my lucky stars for JV, I will be cursing our bad luck.
and you think keeping Pops instead of Vaughn would help in that situation? What was your rebuttal again?

dave
03-06-2009, 09:06 PM
10 rebounds in 12 minutes now

SpursFan0728
03-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Pops 10 rebs in 12 mins

Chomag
03-06-2009, 09:10 PM

ducks
03-06-2009, 09:12 PM
garbage time

lefty
03-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Pops playing well tonite

nice tip ins

Chomag
03-06-2009, 09:16 PM
At least he is getting playing time there though. As much as I hated to see him go thats probably better for him since we would never play a high energy athletic player that rebounds anyway.

I know I'm going to be flamed here for saying this but I have a gut feeling its going to turn out to be another Scola type of thing of the player we could of had.

ducks
03-06-2009, 09:42 PM
one game

lets see if they resign him

spurs could offer him a 2-3 year contract this summer
if they liked what they saw
just they are going to try to win a title
raps are just getting ready for next season

pops would have been great AT THE START oF THE seASon

rayray2k8
03-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Hey thats great!
I doubt he would have been able to do that here, but at least we know
the "craptors" will use him.

ducks
03-06-2009, 10:01 PM
it is hard to change your lineup 22 games before the playoffs the real season for a player that never played a nba game

rayray2k8
03-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Spurs fans were on something if they thought Pops had a chance in
the rotation during the playoffs.
Vets only.

ace3g
03-06-2009, 10:30 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090307/capt.4f13afd2acc340e382120308b5498526.heat_raptors _basketball___fng104.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090307/capt.23c4d059e50e4b13b436ca9535f53032.nba_heat_rap tors_basketball_20090306_fng106.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/8a/fullj.a2a242438ddcc0118356d1f214df6c87/a2a242438ddcc0118356d1f214df6c87-getty-82992617rt11_heat_raptors.jpg

K-State Spur
03-06-2009, 10:49 PM

The Spurs have got roster spots occupied by Hill, Hairston, and Mahinmi - how much of the roster do you want to devote to the future for a team with championship aspirations?

K-State Spur
03-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Yes we have had occasions IN THE PAST that required using JV, but that no longer applies because we have Mason and Hill as well as Manu. We haven't had a sixth big that I can recall. What I'm saying is that Pops' upside trumps what JV is able to do on the court. Manu or Mason can play limited PG role if need be. That's the way I see it and if others think otherwise, that's okay. No one will convince me that Jacque doesn't suck balls.

vaughn gets a lot of hatred for having done EXACTLY what he was signed to do.

work his butt off in practice, act as a coach on the bench, be able to step into the back-up PG role and not crap himself if the guy in front of him (i.e. beno) completely loses any feel for his game. and do it all while making near the league minimum and never complaining.

vaughn's not gonna win any games for this team. but we've never lost a game with him receiving PT that couldn't have been won had other guys done their job better.

...and keep this in mind, i am naturally inclined to have hatred towards vaughn because of his alma mater. (same with gooden)

thOOdee
03-06-2009, 10:58 PM
The Spurs have got roster spots occupied by Hill, Hairston, and Mahinmi - how much of the roster do you want to devote to the future for a team with championship aspirations?

shit, with duncan gino and parker, i rather have a roster devoted to the future than old scrubs ala vaughn. I get he knows the system, but really what does he contribute? THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! people who need the job and have the talent can learn.

VI_Massive
03-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Vaughn blows, like previously said, if we had to depend on JV we would suck and lose. Might as well have a player that shows a hint of promise than someone who is 3rd string PG.

sure, if we had to depend on any of our bench players we'd be screwed. that's why they're bench players.

we need a solid third string pg in a season when our back up pg is a rookie who played shooting guard in college and our pseudo-back up pgs are our two best sgs (mason and manu)

thOOdee
03-06-2009, 11:17 PM
sure, if we had to depend on any of our bench players we'd be screwed. that's why they're bench players.

we need a solid third string pg in a season when our back up pg is a rookie who played shooting guard in college and our pseudo-back up pgs are our two best sgs (mason and manu)

and if you put it the way you stated, i guess vaughn is a 5th string point gaurd

m33p0
03-06-2009, 11:20 PM
one game

lets see if they resign him

spurs could offer him a 2-3 year contract this summer
if they liked what they saw
just they are going to try to win a title
raps are just getting ready for next season

pops would have been great AT THE START oF THE seASon
raptors have guaranteed his contract for the rest of the year. good for him. :tu

completely deck
03-06-2009, 11:30 PM
OK? And?

bigdog
03-06-2009, 11:31 PM
nba.com says he didn't have any steals.

Anyways, good for Pops.

bigdog
03-06-2009, 11:44 PM
finally an intelligent point

I agree.

thOOdee
03-06-2009, 11:53 PM
at least pops didn't go to a contender

benefactor
03-06-2009, 11:54 PM
:bang

Led raptors in rebounding with 10 in only 15 minutes of action. Also 4 points 1 steal. Game was also close- he played some in crunch time.

Fuck you Popovich. Go have gay sex with JV tonite.
Gooden = Finals experience.

Vaughn = Finals experience.

Pops = D-League experience.

I'd rather have the top two.

ploto
03-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Pops has 10 rebounds in 15 minutes while Andrea has 2 rebounds in 41 minutes! :wow

rayray2k8
03-07-2009, 04:42 AM
finally an intelligent point

Just get over it!!
Jesus Christ, if you love him so goddamn much, then go root for Toronto.

Bruno
03-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Raptors are a crappy rebounding team. Pops should be able to continue to have good rebounding numbers with them.

ohmwrecker
03-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Does anyone really not understand why Mensah-Bonsu was let go? Vaughn and Udoka are under contract, if the Spurs cut them they have to pay their salaries. Pops was the cheapest cut. Why is this so difficult to grasp? We got Drew Gooden on the cheap and there is no way Pops Mensah-Bonsu would've made the playoff roster anyway.

Stop whining!

Indazone
03-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Mensah-Bonsu will become an All-Star

book it!

Spurs will again rue the day they let him go.

ohmwrecker
03-07-2009, 10:32 AM
That was a joke, right?

m33p0
03-07-2009, 11:24 AM

book it!

we survived the Scola Trade. Even the Beno Trade. I don't think we'll even break a sweat for Kareem Mensah-Malone.

bigdog
03-07-2009, 11:27 AM

book it!

I'm assuming that statement was something that you plan on sending to Jay Leno or something. How comedic :lol

underdawg
03-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Raptors are a crappy rebounding team. Pops should be able to continue to have good rebounding numbers with them.

And we're a good rebounding team?

Someone school me up here - if we're sitting at $69,620,000 and the luxury tax starts at $71,150,000 how would have keeping Pops and waiving JV put us over the luxury tax threshold?

coyotes_geek
03-07-2009, 03:01 PM

Someone school me up here - if we're sitting at $69,620,000 and the luxury tax starts at $71,150,000 how would have keeping Pops and waiving JV put us over the luxury tax threshold?

Spurs would have been safe against the tax. So that suggest to me that the Spurs just thought Vaughn as a 3rd string point guard added more to the team's playoff chances than Pops as the 6th or 7th big. If Pops shows something with the Raptors, he'll be a free agent this offseason and there's nothing saying that the Spurs can't re-sign him then. Conversely, there was no guarantee that Pops would have re-signed with the Spurs this offseason had the Spurs dumped Vaughn and kept Pops.

underdawg
03-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Spurs would have been safe against the tax. So that suggest to me that the Spurs just thought Vaughn as a 3rd string point guard added more to the team's playoff chances than Pops as the 6th or 7th big. If Pops shows something with the Raptors, he'll be a free agent this offseason and there's nothing saying that the Spurs can't re-sign him then. Conversely, there was no guarantee that Pops would have re-signed with the Spurs this offseason had the Spurs dumped Vaughn and kept Pops.

no, it's all good and hope he does well. Pops is raw and I'll agree that his role would have been limited in regular season and extremely (if none at all) limited in the playoffs. I'm not trying to keep carrying this conversation on, but I just don't think it was as automatic of a decision as some claim. All of our big men have been hurt this year except Bonner and I'd rather have that insurance vs a 4th string PG. If Tony went down, our hopes would be pretty much over but I don't think you would say that about KT or Oberto - to me that's where your insurance is relevant.

poop
03-07-2009, 05:40 PM
1. nobody is saying hes going to be an MVP, you haters were the ones making up the 'pops jordan russell' nonsense.

2. NO ONE THOUGHT HE WAS A GOOD PICK UP JUST BECAUSE OF DUNKS (looking at you, eric b.:rolleyes) we believed POPS easily had the potential to be an explosive, 12-10 guy who would vastly help our inside presence (exactly what the spurs have needed so badly)
so far he has shown nothing except that he would be exactly that.

3. many of you INSIST he would 'be of no help whatsoever' in the playoffs, while claiming that JV would 'contribute more' :rolleyes even though we already have 4 guys ahead of him who can run the point. we contend that POPS would have been more useful for us against the athletic bigs of today than a frontline of oberto and bonner combined...he would not have been 'the 6th big'

4. YOU HATERS were the ones who blew the POPS spectacle out of proportion. you will sit here and downplay whatever he does -no matter how obvious it is he would have been an excellent, cheap find- no matter what numbers, or presence he puts up, you will have an excuse of why he still is worthless and a 'fluke' and how we do not need someone exactly like him.

thank you and eat shit:hat

Austin_Toros
03-07-2009, 05:57 PM
There are Pops haters???

Guajalote
03-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Thank you for not having an avatar. :lol

Texas_Ranger
03-07-2009, 06:01 PM
What?...Who hated Pops?

mudyez
03-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Who is Pops?

timaios
03-07-2009, 06:10 PM
The choice of your name is appropriate. :tu

Bruno
03-07-2009, 06:34 PM

Spurs are a better rebounding than Raptors.

And if you want to analyze Spurs rebounding, you had to separate the offensive and the defensive rebounding :
- Spurs are the best defensive rebounding team in the league and they are in peace to become the best defensive rebounding team of the NBA history.
- Spurs are a bad offensive rebounding team. A reason is the lack of good offensive rebounder but another reason is that Pop asks his players to focus on transition defense over offensive rebounding.

IMO, the logic behind the Pops' cut was quite simple.
In the short term, Pops isn't needed with the Gooden signing.
In the long term, Pops isn't a really interesting prospect and Spurs still have 2 mobile athletic bigmen with Gist and Mahinmi.

underdawg
03-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Spurs are a better rebounding than Raptors.

And if you want to analyze Spurs rebounding, you had to separate the offensive and the defensive rebounding :
- Spurs are the best defensive rebounding team in the league and they are in peace to become the best defensive rebounding team of the NBA history.
- Spurs are a bad offensive rebounding team. A reason is the lack of good offensive rebounder but another reason is that Pop asks his players to focus on transition defense over offensive rebounding.

IMO, the logic behind the Pops' cut was quite simple.
In the short term, Pops isn't needed with the Gooden signing.
In the long term, Pops isn't a really interesting prospect and Spurs still have 2 mobile athletic bigmen with Gist and Mahinmi.

No you're right - we are a great defensive rebounding team and that is as expected with our defense, but our offensive rebounding is dead last in the league. Of course a lot of that has to do with our focus on transition D, but some of it has to do with our team being more of a jump shooting team than going inside and some of it has to do with lack of help by an athletic big to mop up some of our misses. Mahinmi and Gist are no way proven to say that we have 2 athletic bigmen - they have potential just like Pops does. I understand the logic - I just don't agree with it being as clear cut as some people have said.

03-07-2009, 08:04 PM
gist is coming back to the NBA. he will proceed to purge all non believers and those who worship the false idol of pops.

on another note, spurs keeping pops makes no sense. they will have a logjam at the PF and C position next year. bonner, oberto, and thomas will all be under contract. spurs have to figure out a way to get rid of one or two of them. mahinmi and gist will return. add duncan and that is already 6 bigman. if wallace continues to express interest in the spurs, they better try to sign him. i don't know if the spurs will have enough money to sign gooden because spurs will only have the MLE available. gooden might want more. if wallace comes over, then there's no money for gooden. but having seven potential bigman to juggle and keeping pops makes no sense. gooden already adds rebounding power to the spurs because he's above average at getting boards. pops will be playing the same role just with no playoff experience.

jag
03-07-2009, 08:43 PM
:lol

I get a kick out of all the 14 year olds in here freaking out about pops.

There are more important things than having a guy who can grab 5+ boards in garbage time. Get a fuckin grip.

Texas_Ranger
03-08-2009, 12:19 PM
he's got 7 rebounds in 9 minutes so far..

picnroll
03-08-2009, 12:38 PM
he's got 7 rebounds in 9 minutes so far..

.. and it ain't garbage time. Leading the Raps in +/- again. One thing you can say about some Spurs' fans, if they've decided someone sucks he could be named to the greatest 50 all-time and they'll still hold to their call that he sucks.

objective
03-08-2009, 12:52 PM
the important thing is that Pop was never going to give Pops a legit chance to play anyway.

rayray2k8
03-08-2009, 12:53 PM
the craptors have a short roster, so of course they're gonna use him they
got no other choice.
Only 9 players have played so far with really 8 having played real minutes..
If anything, the dude might have the potential to be the next ben wallace..
I don't know how this guy is anything to rave about.

When gooden has a solid game, all these pops threads will suddenly go away.

coyotes_geek
03-08-2009, 01:00 PM
the important thing is that Pop was never going to give Pops a legit chance to play anyway.

Nor should he have. The Spurs are getting ready for the playoffs and Pop still has to get Drew Gooden integrated.

poop
03-08-2009, 01:42 PM
.. and it ain't garbage time. Leading the Raps in +/- again. One thing you can say about some Spurs' fans, if they've decided someone sucks he could be named to the greatest 50 all-time and they'll still hold to their call that he sucks.

exactly. they will never admit we made a mistake in not keeping him.

haha so far hes averaging about 30+ rebounds per 48 minutes, but dont worry they will find an excuse as to why hes still 'worthless'

Bruno
03-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Pops was awful in the second half. He needs to be more disciplined on the defensive end if he wants to stick in the NBA.

yavozerb
03-08-2009, 02:05 PM
exactly. they will never admit we made a mistake in not keeping him.

haha so far hes averaging about 30+ rebounds per 48 minutes, but dont worry they will find an excuse as to why hes still 'worthless'

The guy may make it in NBA as a 10th-12th roster player on a team..Now why exactly should fans be mad at this?

BonnerTime
03-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Bumping this thread not to bring up Pops' play but his words after being part of another loss last night. Pretty big comments for a young guy to say about the team even if they are right on point. Good on him for speaking his mind because this team's internal leadership (Bosh, Calderon) are doing shit all.

"We're not playing like a desperate team," said Mensah-Bonsu who, having pulled down 25 rebounds in 33 minutes as a Raptor, is a rare exception to the malaise.

"It's tough to have some players going hard, some not. I'm not trying to pinpoint it on anybody, but that's the reality. I'm watching tonight and it looked like the Sixers didn't want to play. They're not 20 points better than us, but it's tough to win games when you don't have a lot of energy and effort."

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/600910

lefty
03-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Bumping this thread not to bring up Pops' play but his words after being part of another loss last night. Pretty big comments for a young guy to say about the team even if they are right on point. Good on him for speaking his mind because this team's internal leadership (Bosh, Calderon) are doing shit all.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/600910

Pops talking like Pop :lol

rogcl1
03-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Just saw Pop's totals for the Piston's game tonight which the Raptors lost by four.
8 pts.and 10 rebounds on 3of 5 from the floor and 2-2 from the line in 28 minutes of play. Not ragging on management because I do not know the impact on the luxury tax ,of signing Gooden and cutting a paid salary already on the roster in order to keep Pops around.
Also, I am not at all caught up in the unrealistic euphoria displayed by some posters here, but quite simply, I liked him. NO, He wasn't goimg to make any difference in the playoffs this year but it looks like the light may have gone off in his head as to how he could earn a living in the NBA. Against scrubs or not when he went into his limited games with the Spurs it was obvious he was energized and hustling . And of course he is very athletic although it was hard to guage his basketball skills in his short stay here.His hustle and athleticism alone is something that the Spurs could use on certain regular season games when the team acts as if it is totally disinterested in the game.
I think it was just bad timing for him here , but I think if his energy is consistent and for real that he can carve out a living in the NBA as a hustling
reseve on somebody's team.

underdawg
03-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Just saw Pop's totals for the Piston's game tonight which the Raptors lost by four.
8 pts.and 10 rebounds on 3of 5 from the floor and 2-2 from the line in 28 minutes of play. Not ragging on management because I do not know the impact on the luxury tax ,of signing Gooden and cutting a paid salary already on the roster in order to keep Pops around.
Also, I am not at all caught up in the unrealistic euphoria displayed by some posters here, but quite simply, I liked him. NO, He wasn't goimg to make any difference in the playoffs this year but it looks like the light may have gone off in his head as to how he could earn a living in the NBA. Against scrubs or not when he went into his limited games with the Spurs it was obvious he was energized and hustling . And of course he is very athletic although it was hard to guage his basketball skills in his short stay here.His hustle and athleticism alone is something that the Spurs could use on certain regular season games when the team acts as if it is totally disinterested in the game.
I think it was just bad timing for him here , but I think if his energy is consistent and for real that he can carve out a living in the NBA as a hustling
reseve on somebody's team.

Luxury tax wasn't an issue - the rotation was. I can't argue with Pop's judgement of players that he feels comfortable with based on his success, but at the same time some of the players that he's comfortable with have liabilities when it comes to playing with more athletic players. A player like Oberto has a high basketball IQ, but sometimes the fact that he's much slower than some of the more athletic players makes him almost obsolete in the current arena of the NBA. Stephen Jackson is a great example of a player that probably doesn't rank high on Pop's list of players that he's comfortable with, but he possesses the athleticism necessary to compete in today's NBA.

ploto
03-13-2009, 11:39 PM
I was getting ready to bump this thread and you beat me to it.

With Andrea feeling ill, Pops played 28 minutes scoring 8 points and grabbing 10 more rebounds. As a Raptor he now has 35 rebounds in 70 minutes!

ducks
03-13-2009, 11:45 PM

With Andrea feeling ill, Pops played 28 minutes scoring 8 points and grabbing 10 more rebounds. As a Raptor he now has 35 rebounds in 70 minutes!

so maybe the spurs will sign him to the lle and gooden to the mle

rogcl1
03-13-2009, 11:57 PM

I was going check his totals for all Raptor games, but was too lazy at the moment. I knew his rebound numbers were good. I hope he makes it.
To Underdawg- It does appear as though his attitude is a bit different than early SJAX( although not as talented) which should help him land a job if he continues to play with such energy. I think he could be a 10 to 20 minute a game guy who could come in and play all out for the time he gets and collect a nice check in the process.

ploto
03-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Soft Raptors could learn a little from Pops

For some of the most entertaining spurts of last night's Raptors-Pistons game, Pops Mensah-Bonsu was playing a style of basketball that, to local eyes glazed over by this passionless season, seemed almost alien.

In flashes of brilliance that would make a purist smile, the Londoner was a one-man full-court press and an all-round defensive pest. He pulled down rebounds – 10 in 30 minutes. He dove into the passing lanes and got a steal that led to a breakaway dunk.

And yes, he also made a mistake that sealed Toronto's 99-95 overtime loss. After making an eye-popping effort to pull down the rebound of Chris Bosh's missed free throw with the Raptors down two with about six seconds left in OT, an off-balance Mensah-Bonsu had his attempted pass intercepted by Jason Maxiell, who converted the turnover into a joy-killing dunk.

It's at moments like those when you remember Mensah-Bonsu took up the game in earnest in England as a teenager after converting from soccer and track and field (but not before he cleared seven feet in the high jump).

But it's easy to cut a tireless grinder some slack, especially considering he has now played a grand total of four games for the Raptors and 19 NBA games in total.

"This one hurts," he said afterward. "It's the first time I've been a critical part of an NBA game."

History says he is a fast learner, perhaps because he has been moulded by some remarkable influences. For instance, he played his NCAA ball at George Washington University, which counts among its alumni an NBA legend named Red Auerbach.

And Auerbach, before his 2006 death, was an occasional presence at Mensah-Bonsu's college practices, where the old sage would hand down wisdom gleaned from the experience of 16 championship seasons as a coach or executive with the Boston Celtics.

"There wasn't much dialogue – I just listened," said Mensah-Bonsu. "It was an honour for him to know my name."

More recently, Mensah-Bonsu sipped the proverbial cup of coffee with the San Antonio Spurs, the four-time NBA champions.

He lingered over every last drop.

"They have some superstars on their team, but if you were to be in their presence, you wouldn't know it," said Mensah-Bonsu of the Spurs. "How professional those guys are, it's uncanny. I will carry it with me for the rest of my life."

You don't hear young NBA players talk like this often. And Mensah-Bonsu, we've already learned, isn't one to hand out unwarranted praise. After Wednesday's listless 115-106 loss in Philadelphia, he said of playing for Toronto: "It's tough to have some players going hard, some not."

The fact he has stood out like a beacon in his short time in Toronto is an indictment of a lot of Raptors who have been around all season.

The ingredients he supplies – energy and athleticism and, even more important, a willingness to learn and improve – are exactly what the Raptors have lacked.

Jamario Moon provided those things in spurts before he was traded to Miami last month, but Moon's work in that area fell off as his time in Toronto wore on.

Mensah-Bonsu will be a free agent this summer – he's earning himself a nice contract in the dregs of this season – but you wonder if he'd be able to keep up the oomph during a longer stay here.

Being a gritty player on this prom-dress soft roster, after all, often means being alone in a fight.

Witness Joey Graham's 15 minutes last night: Zero points, zero rebounds and zero impact from a guy who is supposed to provide a physical presence.

"I think (Mensah-Bonsu) is the kind of guy we've missed from the beginning," said starting point guard Jose Calderon. "If he was with us from the beginning, maybe everything (is different). But he's doing everything we ask him, he's doing great.

We love him."

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/602369

Buddy Holly
03-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Hopefully he resigns with us this summer.

angelbelow
03-15-2009, 03:26 AM
statistically, it seems like pops is playing very well. i think raptors will make a push to keep him, but if not, i hope he comes back for summer league.

benefactor
03-15-2009, 10:36 AM
It's good to see that Pops holds his experience with us in high regard. I agree that the Raps will likely try to sign him this summer, but if he wants to come back for the summer league to try to earn a spot here I would love to have him. More athletic bigs than you need is a good problem.

picnroll
03-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Hard to see Pop, based on his late season play, not walking into some camp this summer with a guaranteed contract in hand. This has worked out well for him, getting playing time with the Raps he wouldn't have seen in SA. Also hard to see the Spurs giving him a guaranteed contract as they'll be basically trying out Mahinmi, Harrison and Gist for spots and can't already give one of those spots, as a guarantee, away to Pop. Maybe it was impossible to hang onto Pop short of putting him on the roster and giving him no exposure.

VI_Massive
03-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Hard to see Pop, based on his late season play, not walking into some camp this summer with a guaranteed contract in hand. This has worked out well for him, getting playing time with the Raps he wouldn't have seen in SA. Also hard to see the Spurs giving him a guaranteed contract as they'll be basically trying out Mahinmi, Harrison and Gist for spots and can't already give one of those spots, as a guarantee, away to Pop. Maybe it was impossible to hang onto Pop short of putting him on the roster and giving him no exposure.

I could see us bringing him to camp and having a training camp big man contingent of TD-KT-Bonner-Mahinmi-Pops

EricB
03-15-2009, 11:04 AM
I would highly doubt that Pops the savior ever omes back.

Between Mahinmi, Gist, KT, and others there will be no room.

Would I like to see him given a shot? Sure.

VI_Massive
03-15-2009, 11:25 AM

Who else is there? We're going to carry five bigs on the roster and will definitely invite more than that to camp. That would be TD-KT-Bonner-Oberto-Mahinmi-?. Gooden is a free agent and there's no guarantee he'll be back, so Pops could be a good guy to bring to camp if he doesn't get a better offer elsewhere. Same for Joel Anthony. I would like to see him in camp as well. That's the point of camp.

Go For Tree
03-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Can we please get over this Pops kid already? SHIT!

EricB
03-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Who else is there? We're going to carry five bigs on the roster and will definitely invite more than that to camp. That would be TD-KT-Bonner-Oberto-Mahinmi-?. Gooden is a free agent and there's no guarantee he'll be back, so Pops could be a good guy to bring to camp if he doesn't get a better offer elsewhere. Same for Joel Anthony. I would like to see him in camp as well. That's the point of camp.

Yeah the savior.

djohn14
03-15-2009, 01:55 PM
right now pops has 21 points and 8 rebounds.

Texas_Ranger
03-15-2009, 01:57 PM
right now pops has 21 points and 8 rebounds.

He's good...Oh man why didn't we just say goodby to Vaughn:depressed

Allanon
03-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Pops dunked too much and jumped too high to be a Spurs player. Pop had to get rid of him fast.

yavozerb
03-15-2009, 02:01 PM
What good would pops have been on the spurs not dressing out...Pops right now is on the perfect team for him and his style of play. Pops should be very happy the spurs did not keep him.

Jobbs
03-15-2009, 02:04 PM
I'd take Pops over Oberto right now

picnroll
03-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Pops obviously sucks and it was a great move that he got let go.

EricB
03-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah would've been a fantastic move to piss off the rest of the players and cut Vaughn.

picnroll
03-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Yeah would've been a fantastic move to piss off the rest of the players and cut Vaughn.

Vaughn could have been retained as a coach which is his likely destination after this year and he won't see 2 second playing time except garbage minutes.

Indazone
03-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Not keeping Pops was an dumb move of epic proportions. Nearly the magnitutde of giving Scola to us.

EricB
03-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Vaughn could have been retained as a coach which is his likely destination after this year and he won't see 2 second playing time except garbage minutes.

Of course, cause you know so much more than Spurs management.

Indazone
03-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Pops will command at least $3 million dollars next year.

poop
03-15-2009, 02:41 PM

keep backpedalling douchebag.

picnroll
03-15-2009, 02:42 PM

Is this T Park the condescending asshole?

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-15-2009, 03:02 PM

Has the franchise ever made a move you disagreed with?

Fuck Tpark.... piss off the players? I'm sorry, was there some line in the sand "keep Vaughn or else" meeting that the team had with management.

It's a business, they would have lived with it. And I suspect he would have still been kept around as a coach.

But go ahead and get your panties in a wad about people criticizing the Spurs for keeping a geriatric 5 MPG veteran over some young, cheap talent.

VI_Massive
03-15-2009, 03:02 PM

Yeah the savior.

I don't think he's a savior, but if he can play in the system and be had for a reasonable price, I think he could help.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-15-2009, 03:04 PM

Ah, good ol' TPark... :lol

Considering we have Hill and Mason backing up Tony now and Vaughn holding down a chair at the end of the bench, your defense of management for keeping Vaughn around is pretty comical.

(but nothing new).

Spurs could trade Tim Duncan for Sean Marks and a bag of chips and you'd be excited to have the bag of chips.

MaNu4Tres
03-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Tpark is an ignorant WAH WAH. He was crying with whott about how Gooden was going to be a horrible pickup because he thought Oberto scored on Gooden so well in the 2007 Finals when Gooden wasn't even guarding Oberto for all of his series high 7 points in game 4 of the finals. lol go figure

Flux451
03-15-2009, 03:08 PM

I wonder why we didn't keep him then? chu ching!!!

VI_Massive
03-15-2009, 03:11 PM

In this economy? With everyone saving up for 2010 offseason? I doubt it.

Spurlady
03-15-2009, 03:13 PM
It is a moot point as to whether we should have kept him or not, we didn't. For what it is worth, he had another strong showing against Indiana:
22 minutes, 21 points on 5 of 10 shooting, 11 of 13 ft and 8 rebounds.
He simply wouldn't get those minutes here. Even Hairston is in street clothes right now and Ime is playing because Pop goes with the veterans down the stretch.

peskypesky
03-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Not keeping Pops was an dumb move of epic proportions. Nearly the magnitutde of giving Scola to us.

:toast

the dude put up 21 pts and 8 boards in 21 minutes

that is quality

and the FO fucked up one again...just cause Pop doensn't like dunks

picnroll
03-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Has the franchise ever made a move you disagreed with?

Mistake? Yeah. T Park is still trying to figure out why they ever traded away Jackie Butler. After all they offered him a contract and they never make a mistake.

Go For Tree
03-15-2009, 04:10 PM

scola was outplayed by a newly accuired gooden last night on his home floor.... and look at all the trophies hes help raise for h-town! you are we tall did. in fact, sofa king we tall did.

benefactor
03-15-2009, 04:42 PM
It is a moot point as to whether we should have kept him or not, we didn't. For what it is worth, he had another strong showing against Indiana:
22 minutes, 21 points on 5 of 10 shooting, 11 of 13 ft and 8 rebounds.
He simply wouldn't get those minutes here. Even Hairston is in street clothes right now and Ime is playing because Pop goes with the veterans down the stretch.
Ahh...the voice of reason.

There is no reason to keep bitching and moaning because Pops is gone...no matter what he does with the Raptors. Gooden became available and even if we kept Pops and Gooden there is no way that there is enough minutes on our front line for both of them to get sufficient playing time to learn the system and be effective for the stretch run and in the playoffs.

If we don't get Gooden then maybe Pops stays with the team and helps down the stretch...but he became a casualty after a player that could better help this team became available.

So I don't want to hear anymore shit about "why didn't we cut Vaughn" or "why didn't we cut Oberto" because at the end of the day it makes no difference.

ChumpDumper
03-15-2009, 04:54 PM
I was sorry to see Pops go, but we did get similar production from Gooden last night against a much better team -- so I won't be gnashing my teeth over this one.

ducks
03-15-2009, 04:57 PM
pops could still end up with spurs next season

new_N_town
03-15-2009, 05:04 PM
21 pts dosent suck, take that all you oberto boner dick ryders im sure fabs will start scorin 20pts now a game ahahaa

ducks
03-15-2009, 05:05 PM
how many of them in garabage time

benefactor
03-15-2009, 05:07 PM
21 pts dosent suck, take that all you oberto boner dick ryders im sure fabs will start scorin 20pts now a game ahahaa
http://www.helicopterkids.com/brendanla/CRACKPIPE.jpg

Buddy Holly
03-15-2009, 05:50 PM

You replace KT with Pops and that's one young and athletic front court.

Tim, Gooden, Pops, Gist, Ian >> Tim, Oberto, Thomas, Bonner

Biggems
03-15-2009, 06:30 PM
I want to keep Gooden (yes, I was against signing him, but he has won me over)....and then bring Pops back. I would also like to bring Gist over from Europe.

I would like to say so long to Oberto. We can keep Thomas for the final year of his contract.

C - Bonner, Ian, Thomas
PF - Duncan, Gooden, Pops
SF - Bowen, Gist, ?
SG - Mason, Manu, Finley
PG - Parker, Hill, Hairston

of course if we don't bring back Pops, I want him to stay in the Eastern Conference.....preferably with Toronto. I don't want him with another West team or with teams like Boston, Orlando, Cleveland, etc.

Biggems
03-15-2009, 06:31 PM
You replace KT with Pops and that's one young and athletic front court.

Tim, Gooden, Pops, Gist, Ian >> Tim, Oberto, Thomas, Bonner

You do realize, Bonner will be hear next year right? Also, Oberto and Thomas are still on the books for next season as well.

Bruno
03-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Keeping Pops would have been very easy for Spurs. The cost of keeping him over keeping Vaughn was quite marginal. Spurs simply made the choice of not keeping Pops.

Spurs bringing back Pops this summer is quite unrealistic. Pops will be a restricted free agent this summer. If he continue to play well, Raptors will make a QO and match a Spurs offer. If he sucks, there will be no interest to bring him back.

Spurs simply decide that Pops wasn't an interesting player to keep. Were there right or wrong? Time will tell but it's quite ridiculous to say that they have made a mistake right now.

Chieflion
03-15-2009, 07:11 PM
21 and 8 for Pops in 21 minutes against the Pacers. He was a +11 for the Raptors too. He was fantastic. I wished the Spurs waived Oberto or Vaughn instead.

superbigtime
03-15-2009, 07:23 PM
If the Gooden acquisition hadn't gone down, Pops would definitely still be in silver and black but probably just garnishing trash time. I definitely would have prefered to see Vaughn bought out but that's not what the brass elected to do so I'll live with it. If I see Vaughn become a coach though, I'll throw up. I don't see him having that kind of relationship with any of the other players...he never talks with anyone and that includes GH. Vaughn sucks. We don't need his 'veteran leadership' or 'high IQ'...the entire Spurs organization is filled with those kinds of players. Who knows, Pops could be back again...depends on how the Gist thing washes out.

angelbelow
03-15-2009, 07:30 PM
how many of them in garabage time

well how many points can oberto score in garbage time?

i know getting rid of pops was necessary, it was pretty much our only option, but some of you guys have terrible reasonings to countering pops effectiveness on toronto

i hated seeing him go, but it was the right move for us. now give the guy his pops, hes played well in toronto and has the potential to improve. dont slam the guy just cause hes not on our team anymore.

picnroll
03-15-2009, 07:32 PM
The decision on Pop could be against Gist's play. Pop showed, when playing against Travis Outlaw, that he might be a good defender against long threes and agile fours. Gist might play a similar role. If Pop > than Gist then the Spurs failed.

benefactor
03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
21 and 8 for Pops in 21 minutes against the Pacers. He was a +11 for the Raptors too. He was fantastic. I wished the Spurs waived Oberto or Vaughn instead.

There is no reason to keep bitching and moaning because Pops is gone...no matter what he does with the Raptors. Gooden became available and even if we kept Pops and Gooden there is no way that there is enough minutes on our front line for both of them to get sufficient playing time to learn the system and be effective for the stretch run and in the playoffs.

If we don't get Gooden then maybe Pops stays with the team and helps down the stretch...but he became a casualty after a player that could better help this team became available.

So I don't want to hear anymore shit about "why didn't we cut Vaughn" or "why didn't we cut Oberto" because at the end of the day it makes no difference.
You could try reading the thread before you post.

benefactor
03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
The decision on Pop could be against Gist's play. Pop showed, when playing against Travis Outlaw, that he might be a good defender against long threes and agile fours. Gist might play a similar role. If Pop > than Gist then the Spurs failed.
Not really. Signing him for the rest of the year was pointless when we knew little to nothing about him. It's not a great financial move to pay a player for the rest of the year that can't help you. Gist succeeding or failing has nothing to do with the Spurs decision.

picnroll
03-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Not really. Signing him for the rest of the year was pointless when we knew little to nothing about him. It's not a great financial move to pay a player for the rest of the year that can't help you. Gist succeeding or failing has nothing to do with the Spurs decision.
Would have locked up Pop rights and given the Spurs some time to evaluate the two together and make a selection.

benefactor
03-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Would have locked up Pop rights and given the Spurs some time to evaluate the two together and make a selection.
We don't have a roster spot...and Pop in not eliminating on of his veterans for a player with "potential." There is a whole summertime and a draft to find another player similar to Pops if we want to. It's a waste of money now.

slayermin
03-15-2009, 09:29 PM
We could have used him against Lamar Odom. I guess the Pops Bandwagon wasn't so premature after all.

poop
03-15-2009, 09:34 PM

so i see your one of those 'POPS is worthless' people. heres a little FACT for you. he has-and has exhibited-in the NBA- EXACTLY what we need. rebounding, interior presence, putbacks, getting to the line, quickness and length on defense.

you are one of those DENIERS than will refuse to acknowledge that not keeping him was a HUGE mistake.

so EATSHIT ASSHOLE!!!!

benefactor
03-15-2009, 09:37 PM
so i see your one of those 'POPS is worthless' people. heres a little FACT for you. he has-and has exhibited-in the NBA- EXACTLY what we need. rebounding, interior presence, putbacks, getting to the line, quickness and length on defense.

you are one of those DENIERS than will refuse to acknowledge that not keeping him was a HUGE mistake.

so EATSHIT ASSHOLE!!!!
We signed Gooden. He is better. Accept it or kill yourself...whichever is easier for you.

poop
03-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Gooden is a great pickup. but Duncan -Gooden- POPS would give us a much better chance against LA then Duncan-Gooden-Oberto. (with Thamoas off the bench) so continue to feast on that turd!

benefactor
03-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Gooden is a great pickup. but Duncan -Gooden- POPS would give us a much better chance against LA then Duncan-Gooden-Oberto. (with Thamoas off the bench) so continue to feast on that turd!

Is there an echo in here?

EricB
03-15-2009, 10:02 PM
The saviour lives apparently.

picnroll
03-15-2009, 10:05 PM

Who's calling him a saviour besides you?

Buddy Holly
03-15-2009, 10:19 PM

Jesus, do you conservatives have to call every black man that is popular with people and gets talk about highly a saviour? FYI, you're the only dipstick calling him a saviour.

Chieflion
03-15-2009, 10:23 PM
You could try reading the thread before you post.
You have your own opinion, while I have mine. Thanks. Besides, this thread was for Spurs fans to cry about it.

ChumpDumper
03-15-2009, 10:33 PM

Who's calling him a saviour besides you?

Jesus, do you conservatives have to call every black man that is popular with people and gets talk about highly a saviour? FYI, you're the only dipstick calling him a saviour.I didn't know there was a Queen's English option on the spell check. Either that or Pops has really gotten into our heads.

EricB
03-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I didn't know there was a Queen's English option on the spell check. Either that or Pops has really gotten into our heads.

Leave it to Buddy Holly to make it a political discussion.

Buddy Holly
03-15-2009, 10:49 PM

Leave it to Buddy Holly to make it a political discussion.

If you didn't get the humor, unclog your ass because apparently that's where god put your sense of humor.

But you being the only one calling him a savior was not a joke.

EricB
03-15-2009, 10:55 PM
If you didn't get the humor, unclog your ass because apparently that's where god put your sense of humor.

But you being the only one calling him a savior was not a joke.

Read threads, i'm not the only one sarcasticly calling him that.

Humor?

Whatever, your childish little pot shots at me are failed attempts at humor.

Buddy Holly
03-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Read threads, i'm not the only one sarcasticly calling him that.

Humor?

Whatever, your childish little pot shots at me are failed attempts at humor.

Pot shots? Seriously guy, you are the lame ass who can dish and dish but the moment some one flicks you with their finger you fall to the ground crying like a little biznich.

Grow a pair TPark. I think you've become a bigger vag since changing your name.

SanAntonioSpurs23
03-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Damn Pops played awesome today, 21 minutes he had 21 points and 8 rebounds. I really wish SA wouldn't have cut this guy now we are going to be sorry :(

BonnerTime
03-16-2009, 12:27 AM
For anyone who is interested in more than just a stat line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAwEB6DKf8Q

Biggems
03-16-2009, 01:01 AM
The way Pops is like a shark smelling blood around the rim, he reminds me of Shawn Kemp. Now mind you, he is nowhere near the level of where Shawn Kemp was early on in his career. I am merely saying his hunger and aggressiveness to get to the rim at all costs, is very Reign Man like.

Let's just hope Pops doesn't become Pops to 20+ little bastards like the Shawn Appleseed did....spreading his seed all over the country.

I wish Pops all the best in Toronto. He seems to be a good guy and a real positive presence for them on the court and in the lockerroom. I hope he can take the lessons he learned in Austin and in his short time here and continue to build on it in Toronto. I hope he doesn't let those slackers and all the losing in Toronto bring him down.

Austin_Toros
03-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Damn Pops played awesome today, 21 minutes he had 21 points and 8 rebounds. I really wish SA wouldn't have cut this guy now we are going to be sorry :(
I wish we had him too

I wish I hadn't watched that- it only shows me what the spurs have given up :(

:flag:

HarlemHeat37
03-16-2009, 01:08 AM
it's not really surprising that he's playing like this..Gooden is still a much better addition..

Pops is still an undersized big man..it'll be interesting to see him play once opposing teams start looking to defend him..most of his stats are coming in garbage time and against other teams bench players, so no overreactions..

good for him though, seems like a good guy..

he'll be getting overpaid by Toronto this off-season, no doubt about that..JYD part 2..

PeterBurns
03-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Figured there is not enough threads about it.
Only 21 Minutes played Vs. Pacers.

DAAMMN

phyzik
03-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Scola thread!!

oh wait....

m33p0
03-16-2009, 09:58 AM
esss esss!

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Pops Mensah-Bonsu!

polandprzem
03-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Figured there is not enough threads about it.
Only 21 Minutes played Vs. Pacers.

DAAMMN

Now what we are gonna do about it?

He played few games as a spur and he needs a thread in Spurs section?

nahh

honestfool84
03-16-2009, 10:13 AM
this warranted a new thread?

come on guys.

poop
03-16-2009, 01:56 PM

i dont know about you guys, but im sure glad we waived him. i mean he looks weak on the boards, cant finish, soft and unagressive, surely Oberto will help us against LA's big much more than this guy would have.

:bang AAARRGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Nathan Explosion
03-16-2009, 02:52 PM
He was a cheap waive unlike the guys under contract. Not to mention, being undersized doesn't help with the length of LA.

Fact is, Gooden has about 3 inches on Pop, and as the saying goes, you can't teach size.

tomtom
03-16-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't see why being undersized was such a big deal, Leon Powe and Davis are undersized yet they can be somewhat effective. Oh well too early to tell but I think he'll end up being a decent player

PDXSpursFan
03-16-2009, 03:09 PM
He was a cheap waive unlike the guys under contract. Not to mention, being undersized doesn't help with the length of LA.

Fact is, Gooden has about 3 inches on Pop, and as the saying goes, you can't teach size.

And I'll add that you can't teach this:
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3830/gooden.jpg

angelbelow
03-16-2009, 03:27 PM

holy fuck... few impressive plays there. hes definitely got potential.

tomtom
03-16-2009, 04:53 PM
true that, best case scenario for him he ends up like a turiaf or maxiell type of player

ploto
03-16-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm betting 18 points were dunks.

Actually 11-13 from the FT line.

He seems to like Toronto as it has that European feel for him, as well.

Spurtacus
03-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Too bad. Was looking forward to Duncan, Pops, Gist, Mahinmi.

cool hand
03-16-2009, 10:57 PM
he is avg 6 and 6 and on the rise.

Indazone
03-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Scola thread!!

oh wait....

lol every single year...and it goes on...and on...and on....

GSH
03-17-2009, 03:13 AM
BLAIR FACTS

Don't get carried away with flavour of the month
JEFF BLAIR

March 16, 2009

Let's not go all Pops Mensah-Bonsu over the Toronto Raptors finally winning a game.

Let's not go all over the top, because yesterday's 110-87 win would have felt a better if Chris Bosh had triple-doubled and scored 20 points - and if the win was over somebody better than the Indiana Pacers and was the sign of a team flexing its muscles for the NBA postseason.

Still, the Raptors had their largest margin of victory this year, and ended their seven-game winless skid. For the fifth consecutive game, they scored at least 48 points in the paint, something they'd managed to do just once in the previous 62 games.

Yeah, it was of the train-wreck variety - Mensah-Bonsu almost took out his own teammates a couple of times and appeared to hurt his eye when he choked a dunk attempt off the rim. Shawn Marion made essentially two plays in 23 minutes of playing time - a couple of third-quarter dunks - but, really, who's to complain?

"Guys are trying to go inside a little bit more and be cognizant of the fact that we need to shrink defences if we want to shoot the [three-pointers]," Raptors head coach Jay Triano said. "If you start scoring inside, teams will collapse and it's going to open up perimeter shots."

Mensah-Bonsu went 5-for-10 from the field and 11-for-13 from the free-throw line and had eight rebounds. He crushed the Pacers. He is raw, there is no doubt about that, but much of that comes from the fact he's still over-anxious and still feeling his way.

The Raptors believe that once he acclimates himself, there will be some smoothness to his game. But hopefully not too much.

The Raptors have enough bench guys who play with a detachment that belies their place in the game.

This has been the issue all season long: the Raptors have never had a "change-up" at the guard position to give other teams a different look than Jose Calderon. And their bench players are soft, incapable or unwilling to do any dirty work.

Mensah-Bonsu does not appear cut from the same cloth.

"I don't feel like a borderline NBA player," he said, shrugging. "But I know that's the rep. So, I'm just playing - personally - to stay in the NBA."

Nice to hear, but before Raptors fans get carried away with the flavour of the month, remember these two words: Jamario and Moon.

poop
03-17-2009, 03:46 PM
POPS had NBA.com block of the night on boris diaw

lefty
03-30-2009, 11:52 AM
OMG pops vs Chicago!!!! :wow (watch the vid)

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=290329028

He had 13 pts too

Yuixafun
03-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Yup makes you drool a bit.

Calderon with 19 assists yo!

rayray2k8
03-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Why do you guys continue to bump this thread???
Let it the fuck go!
Who gives a shit anyway? Gooden fills that role now.

new_N_town
03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Why do you guys continue to bump this thread???
Let it the fuck go!
Who gives a shit anyway? Gooden fills that role now.

gooden has yet to dunk,jump up & down, and roar with rage after he just slammed dunked. so no gooden does not fill PMB's void :(:(:(

rayray2k8
03-30-2009, 12:27 PM
gooden has yet to dunk,jump up & down, and roar with rage after he just slammed dunked. so no gooden does not fill PMB's void :(:(:(

Pops at best is a Ben Wallace Jr.
That's it..
There is nothing more he can do.
Beside dunking, rebounding and block shots what
else can he do??
He was an average defender when I saw him play
here, get over it already. If you miss him that much then
go root for the craptors. :rolleyes

kromediablo
06-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Pops at best is a Ben Wallace Jr.
That's it..
There is nothing more he can do.
Beside dunking, rebounding and block shots what
else can he do??
He was an average defender when I saw him play
here, get over it already. If you miss him that much then
go root for the craptors. :rolleyes

http://static.guim.co.uk/static/75218/zones/sport/images/logo.gif (http://www.guardian.co.uk/) the sports blog & hoopshype rumors section
• It looks increasingly unlikely that Pops Mensah Bonsu will return to the Toronto Raptors next season. The Great Britain forward is continuing talks with Canada's sole NBA team but the trade that brought Reggie Evans to the Raptors (http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/647956) last week from the 76ers almost certainly means Pops will be looking for his fourth team in less than a year. The Toronto general manager, Bryan Colangelo, is understood to be committed to Patrick O'Bryant as his key back-up big.

.maybe the spurs pick up pops again with some nba playing time under his belt.

rayray2k8
06-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Why????? Why did you quote me to bump this useless thread? :lol

underdawg
06-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Why????? Why did you quote me to bump this useless thread? :lol

just to piss someone like you off - are your really that fired up about a "no name" player?

rayray2k8
06-16-2009, 12:15 AM
just to piss someone like you off - are your really that fired up about a "no name" player?

This guy is gone and will never be in Silver and Black.
Might as well make a "Sign insert former spur back up."
Oh wait, there's already one for Hedo already. :rolleyes
How about we give Ron Mercer another try?

underdawg
06-16-2009, 12:31 AM
This guy is gone and will never be in Silver and Black.
Might as well make a "Sign insert former spur back up."
Oh wait, there's already one for Hedo already. :rolleyes
How about we give Ron Mercer another try?

easy now - Hedo is a little bit better than Mercer. Honestly, you'd be upset with a Hedo signing?

rayray2k8
06-16-2009, 01:01 AM
easy now - Hedo is a little bit better than Mercer. Honestly, you'd be upset with a Hedo signing?

I'd be upset if he missed 3 out of 4 free throws in game 4 of the finals. :rolleyes
The guy is a choker.

underdawg
06-16-2009, 01:05 AM
I'd be upset if he missed 3 out of 4 free throws in game 4 of the finals. :rolleyes
The guy is a choker.

yeah that sucked - Howard was on from the FT line - if he'd missed that many free throws, he would've been kicked off the team. I wouldn't want Howard on the Spurs if he missed that many FT's.

45 bank shot
06-16-2009, 08:36 AM
are you kidding me? why does everyone think this guy will be exceptionally good in the future? I watch a lot of Raptor's game. Yes sure, Pops is athletic and he hustles all the time. However, he doesn't seem to have a high b-ball IQ and just tries to dunk the ball when he has it. Most amazingly, his Field percentage is extremely low.
Btw, what happened to that Courtney SIms? I remeber there were a lot of bandawagons back then saying that how bad the spurs would be screwed by the SUns and how much should the SPurs would regret about the move. Anyway, where is he?

benefactor
06-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Where is poop at?