PDA

View Full Version : My Watchmen Review (beware spoilers)

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2009, 10:37 AM
- “Jon, everyone will die”

- “And the universe will not even notice”

I waited years for Watchmen to be made into a movie. I first read the graphic novel when I was a Freshman in High School. I thought it was brilliant when I first read it. I liked the concept of super heroes being all fucked up. I also liked how many of these super heroes made decisions for the public at large based on what they thought would be good for them.

I never thought it would be made into a movie until rumors started popping up about Terry Gilliam, Darren Aronofsky and others wanting to take a shot at the material. While I was excited about the prospect, Alan Moore pretty much killed the idea by saying that Watchmen was unfilmable.

Now, Moore always bitches about his properties being made into movies. While I agree with him on The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, I really liked From Hell and V for Vendetta. I think they, the directors, stayed true to the feel of the graphic novels. So, I didn’t know what to expect with Watchmen.

It appears Alan Moore was right.

After careful consideration since seeing the movie last night, I have to say that Snyder, while delivering a very solid movie, may have missed the mark on this one.

Now, I’m saying this with the point of view of someone how has read the graphic novel. And, before you go on to say that I’m one of those guys that screams “The book is better than the movie” and that I’m just a petty little fanboy . . . hear me out.

There’s quite a bit of stuff that’s missing or completely changed in the movie. This isn’t little stuff either. It isn’t like a certain character’s hair was different or a certain character didn’t say one of my favorite lines. No, not at all . . . there are certain things missing and changed that are of great consequence. I’ll get to that in a bit.

I first want to say that there were some things that Snyder hit dead on. And, one of his greatest accomplishments in the film was who he chose to play Rorschach. Damn, it’s as if that character leapt from the pages of the graphic novel right onto the screen. And, his capture by the police is pretty much exactly as it happens on the novel. Through it all, Rorschach is what really grounds this movie. In the end, you really empathize with him.

Dan Dreiberg is also very well cast. His character also lends quite a bit of weight to the film. His sequence at the end in Antarctica, although a departure from the graphic novel, saved what may have been a dead scene.

Dr. Manhattan is exactly what you would expect and I have to give Snyder credit for the CG effects. Also, I appreciated that his origin story was faithfully adapted.

The Comedian was also pretty good, and pretty much what you would expect from him.

But, I had a problem with pretty much every other character in the movie. Laurie (Silk Spectre II) was flat, and Carla Gugino (playing Sally Jupiter) pretty much just phoned in her performance. I was pretty disappointed in that. But, it was Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias that pretty much killed the movie for me.

He was just so flat and completely disconnected. His character was played as almost a direct copy of Dr. Manhattan. While Dr. Manhattan had a reason to be so disconnected with humanity, and his remoteness could be understood, the same can not be said about Veidt. He just came across as almost aloof and his last scene in the movie has looking almost psychotic. His wooden performance really ruined the experience for me.

Like I previously mentioned, there are some sequences in the movie that really, really work and stay true to the graphic novel. The Comedian’s raping of Sally Jupiter is a direct copy from the graphic novel as is the prison break out. There is also the flying love scene on Archie that most, if not all, fanboys will love.

But, there is plenty in the movie that doesn’t work. Veidt is the apparent villain in the film, and Snyder pretty much lays it out in the first hour of the film. There is absolutely no subtlety about this. And, that is one of the things I most hated about the film. Also, Captian Metropolis has disappeared in the movie and his role is adopted by Veidt, which was a foolish move in my opinion.

There is also the dynamic between Laurie and Sally Jupiter. Or, to be more precise, the lack of it. In the graphic novel, Laurie is pissed, bitter, and resentful. In the movie, you just don’t get that. There is no sense of anger in her, which makes her forgiving her mother at the end extremely unimportant.

There is also Dr. Manhattan talking about how the tachyons are interfering with his perception of the future . . . and he says this 20 minutes into the film!! By the time tachyons become relevant in the film, which is at the end, you have no idea what it’s all about. This was a huge mistake by Snyder.

But, the most egregious sin in the movie has to do with the squid. Those of you who have read the graphic novel know exactly what I’m talking about. It is not in the movie. And, it is a glaring omission. The event, or events as they are in the movie, that takes place has to do with replicating Dr. Manhattan’s power. That has nothing to do with the graphic novel.

This is not small thing. This isn’t about what a character might have said or not said. This isn’t about how a character might or might not look. It isn’t one of those petty fanboy things. This is huge.

This is akin to having an old guy give Moses the 10 Commandments instead of having a godly force strike them from the mountain side. This is akin to having Dorothy land on the White Witch instead of landing on the Wicked Witch of The West. This is akin to making Darth Vader a woman instead of a twisted old man.

This is huge.

And, I can’t get over that. I can’t ignore that. And, most of you that have read the graphic novel will not be able to ignore that.

For those of you that will go into the movie not knowing what to expect, I figure you will probably have a good time. It’s not a bad movie, but it’s not what Watchmen should have been.

NameDropper
03-06-2009, 10:50 AM
There is no way it was ever going to be true to the graphic novel.

IronMexican
03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm not gonna read all that. Was the movie good?

JoeChalupa
03-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Another over-hyped movie that cannot compare to the book. Happens every time. Should I read the novel and skip the movie? Or should I just watch the movie for entertainment value and not worry so much about the story? I don't get why some have to break down a movie into such detail. If it is entertaining and not boring then it works for me.

Or will I be totally confused by not knowing what the hell the movie is supposed to be about other than some super hero's need to decide on whether or not to save the planet?

dickface
03-06-2009, 11:14 AM
This movie looked like shit anyways.

JoeChalupa
03-06-2009, 11:22 AM
This movie looked like shit anyways.

So you don't think it will do that well or will it smash records due to so many people needing to "escape" from reality?

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Was the movie good?

It depends.

If you've read the graphic novel and are a fan of it, probably not.

If you've never read the graphic novel, then you'll probably like it.

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Or will I be totally confused by not knowing what the hell the movie is supposed to be about other than some super hero's need to decide on whether or not to save the planet?

It depends.

There's some nomenclature in the movie that might confuse you, but it could very well be enjoyable to those going in with out any knowledge of the graphic novel.

CuckingFunt
03-06-2009, 11:48 AM
I was not disappointed with the film. At all. Not even a little bit.

It's been a good 13 or 14 years since I read the graphic novel, so I know damn well that I don't remember it well enough to recognize every little detail that's changed, but I knew there were some things missing. I was okay with that. I thought a few of the performances were iffy (including Ozymandias and Sally Jupiter, as peewee mentioned), but not so iffy as to take away from the film itself.

Overall, I walked in with pretty high expectations and was not let down when I left the theater.

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I was not disappointed with the film. At all. Not even a little bit.

It's been a good 13 or 14 years since I read the graphic novel, so I know damn well that I don't remember it well enough to recognize every little detail that's changed, but I knew there were some things missing. I was okay with that. I thought a few of the performances were iffy (including Ozymandias and Sally Jupiter, as peewee mentioned), but not so iffy as to take away from the film itself.

Overall, I walked in with pretty high expectations and was not let down when I left the theater.

The absence of the squid and the point of teleporting it from another dimension didn't bother you?

Blaming it all on Dr. Manhattan didn't bother you?

The several cities around the world that were attacked instead of it just being an isolated incident in New York City didn't bother you?

That's the whole point to the graphic novel.

Kermit
03-06-2009, 11:56 AM
No offense PeeWee, but having the squid in the film would have been f-ing retarded. That would've required about 30 more minutes of film, numerous explanations, more casting, further backstory, and a whole lot of pissed off people who hadn't read the comic leaving the theater going "A fucking squid? That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen!" It was the right decision.

Kermit
03-06-2009, 12:02 PM
But yes, if the squid is what you wanted, then Moore is right and the comic is unfilmable.

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2009, 12:03 PM
No offense PeeWee, but having the squid in the film would have been f-ing retarded. That would've required about 30 more minutes of film, numerous explanations, more casting, further backstory, and a whole lot of pissed off people who hadn't read the comic leaving the theater going "A fucking squid? That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen!" It was the right decision.

It would have taken the same amount of explanation as what they gave for that thing Dr. Manhattan was building with Veidt.

That was another thing that really bothered me. The whole thing about relieving our independence on fossil fuels and what not is a bit anachronistic. It takes place in 1985 for christ's sake!! It's not taking place in fucking 2009!

Lee Iacoca as the big bad guy representing the pesky auto industry threatening Veidt about his project for free energy was just flat out stupid.

Having Veidt mess around with dimensions in space would have brought the movie to a whole other level. It would have given it more weight.

It would have taken to time at all to bring that into the movie. Scaring people with a being from another dimension, as the squid was supposed to be, would have had great effect.

CuckingFunt
03-06-2009, 12:07 PM
The absence of the squid and the point of teleporting it from another dimension didn't bother you?

Blaming it all on Dr. Manhattan didn't bother you?

The several cities around the world that were attacked instead of it just being an isolated incident in New York City didn't bother you?

That's the whole point to the graphic novel.

I think the point of the graphic novel was still in tact.

I never go into a film adaptation expecting it to capture every single detail from its source. You just can't. All you can do is hope the film comes close to what you loved about the source material, and Watchmen did that for me.

There's also that.

Kermit
03-06-2009, 12:08 PM
The whole thing about relieving our independence on fossil fuels and what not is a bit anachronistic. It takes place in 1985 for christ's sake!! It's not taking place in fucking 2009!
Lee Iacoca as the big bad guy representing the pesky auto industry threatening Veidt about his project for free energy was just flat out stupid.

You're right. That does sound stupid.

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2009, 12:27 PM
I think the point of the graphic novel was still in tact.

I never go into a film adaptation expecting it to capture every single detail from its source. You just can't. All you can do is hope the film comes close to what you loved about the source material, and Watchmen did that for me.

I wasn't expecting to have every detail.

You're missing my point and I don't think you read my initial post completely.

The omissions were pretty egregious.

And, the point of the graphic novel is only somewhat intact, not completely. The point of the graphic novel is that humanity will pull together when they have an unknown quantity that serves as a common enemy.

The squid represents possible creatures from other dimensions that can somehow make their way to Earth and possibly anihilate it. So, humanity has to put it's differences aside to work together and fight this possible threat.

I suppose you can make that point about Dr. Manhattan as a common enemy. But, like I said, if you're a fan of the graphic novel, it goes against the spirit of the novel.

CuckingFunt
03-06-2009, 12:39 PM
And, the point of the graphic novel is only somewhat intact, not completely. The point of the graphic novel is that humanity will pull together when they have an unknown quantity that serves as a common enemy.

Which still happens.

The squid represents possible creatures from other dimensions that can somehow make their way to Earth and possibly anihilate it. So, humanity has to put it's differences aside to work together and fight this possible threat.

I suppose you can make that point about Dr. Manhattan as a common enemy. But, like I said, if you're a fan of the graphic novel, it goes against the spirit of the novel.

Dr. Manhattan is that unknown entity, he becomes that common enemy. It is a wholly different sequence of events than the end of the novel, I will grant you that, but I disagree that it fundamentally alters the large scale point of the film.

Ultimately, however, it's an understandable filmmaking choice. Would the squid have been more satisfying to the hard core comic fans? Probably. But everyone else in the audience would be pissed that a film otherwise grounded in humanity (firmly so, as a matter of fact -- Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach's mask are the only elements that are even remotely otherworldly) suddenly took a trip into 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea cheesiness.

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Dr. Manhattan is that unknown entity, he becomes that common enemy. It is a wholly different sequence of events than the end of the novel, I will grant you that, but I disagree that it fundamentally alters the large scale point of the film.

Ultimately, however, it's an understandable filmmaking choice. Would the squid have been more satisfying to the hard core comic fans? Probably. But everyone else in the audience would be pissed that a film otherwise grounded in humanity (firmly so, as a matter of fact -- Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach's mask are the only elements that are even remotely otherworldly) suddenly took a trip into 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea cheesiness.

Making Dr. Manhattan an unknown entity, after making that point that he's a celebrity super hero kind of makes that point invalid.

However, that's a whole other debate.

I don't think you're reading my posts too well.
I'm talking from a fan's perspective, their point of view if you will.

You really need to read what I'm posting.

I gaurantee you there will be plenty of fanboy backlash.

leemajors
03-06-2009, 12:57 PM
But yes, if the squid is what you wanted, then Moore is right and the comic is unfilmable.

i would be for giant squids and/or great grey slugs appearing in any and all movies.

CuckingFunt
03-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Making Dr. Manhattan an unknown entity, after making that point that he's a celebrity super hero kind of makes that point invalid.

Not at all. He's presented as a celebrity superhero in the sense that he's well known and generally seen as beneficial, but throughout the film there is evidence of the countless ways in which this is being questioned. It's made pretty clear that people don't know what to make of him.

However, that's a whole other debate.

I don't think you're reading my posts too well.
I'm talking from a fan's perspective, their point of view if you will.

You really need to read what I'm posting.

I gaurantee you there will be plenty of fanboy backlash.

And you need to read what I'm posting. I, too, am talking from a fan's perspective. You and I obviously both saw midnight shows, and I can't think of anyone who would be willing to do that without being a pretty nerdy and dedicated fanboy/fangirl.

Will there be fanboy backlash? Of course. There always is. That's what they (we) do. I just don't think it is warranted in this case.

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2009, 01:15 PM
And you need to read what I'm posting. I, too, am talking from a fan's perspective. You and I obviously both saw midnight shows, and I can't think of anyone who would be willing to do that without being a pretty nerdy and dedicated fanboy/fangirl.

Will there be fanboy backlash? Of course. There always is. That's what they (we) do. I just don't think it is warranted in this case.

Oh well, I should've known you would take that position.

It is just like you.

CuckingFunt
03-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Oh well, I should've known you would take that position.

It is just like you.

It's not a matter of taking a position, it's a matter of taste. The omissions/changes were enough to dampen your enjoyment of the film. I, on the other hand, wasn't bothered. That's it.

I hate to break it to you, since you seem so fond of pointless arguments, but neither of us is right OR wrong. Disagreement =/= debate.

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2009, 01:23 PM
It's not a matter of taking a position, it's a matter of taste. The omissions/changes were enough to dampen your enjoyment of the film. I, on the other hand, wasn't bothered. That's it.

I hate to break it to you, since you seem so fond of pointless arguments, but neither of us is right OR wrong. Disagreement =/= debate.

Okay.

You're right.

Blaming Dr. Manhattan and cheapening Veidt's plan using inter-demension beings to scare humans into cooperating with each other is just the epitome of genius.

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2009, 01:23 PM
And, dead dogs in an art gallery is art.

Blake
03-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I have a feeling this is gonna go the way of V for Vendetta.....

an ultimately forgettable movie.

Spurminator
03-06-2009, 01:31 PM
YDDHHrt6l4w

CuckingFunt
03-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Okay.

You're right.

Blaming Dr. Manhattan and cheapening Veidt's plan using inter-demension beings to scare humans into cooperating with each other is just the epitome of genius.

Yes. Because, of course, that's exactly what I said.

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Yes. Because, of course, that's exactly what I said.

Yes, because you are oh so cool.

Vendetta
03-06-2009, 02:20 PM
I have a feeling this is gonna go the way of V for Vendetta.....

an ultimately forgettable movie.

Your powers of observation continue to serve you well.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-06-2009, 02:33 PM
And, dead dogs in an art gallery is art.

Exactly.

florige
03-06-2009, 03:52 PM
So "the" Peewee, I guess it's safe to assume that this movie won't replace TDK as you favorite movie of all time huh? lol

Brutalis
03-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I don't really judge movies I haven't seen (unless they are just obviously bogus) but this movie based on TV spots and previews looks quite far fetched and comic book like for kids. So in other words they don't get me to want to see it at all. I'm sure I will though.

Fpoonsie
03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
I wasn't expecting to have every detail.

You're missing my point and I don't think you read my initial post completely.

The omissions were pretty egregious.

Maybe they strayed away from that because it's already been done...prolly more than once.

oRGUqd_M6Mg

Now, don't get me wrong, the omissions you're describing DO sound legitimate (having read and thoroughly enjoyed the novel/ending), but it DOES seem like it'd be quite an undertaking to explain that. Though, I need to watch it before I comment further.

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2009, 04:16 PM
So "the" Peewee, I guess it's safe to assume that this movie won't replace TDK as you favorite movie of all time huh? lol

TDK is not my favorite movie of all time, but it's up there. I'm a Star Wars nut.

However, I haven't seen anything better than TDK since it came out. I was really hoping that Watchmen would top it. Unfortunately, it didn't.

I just can't get past the blatant omissions it had.

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Maybe they strayed away from that because it's already been done...prolly more than once.

I can see where you're coming from, but that can't be a reason why you would abandon a major plot from your source material.

If they would've included the squid, ID4 would have been the last thing in my mind.

Now, don't get me wrong, the omissions you're describing DO sound legitimate (having read and thoroughly enjoyed the novel/ending), but it DOES seem like it'd be quite an undertaking to explain that. Though, I need to watch it before I comment further.

Let me know what you think when you see it.

Spurminator
03-06-2009, 04:27 PM

I'm reminded of the "raining frogs" ending in Magnolia.

florige
03-06-2009, 04:35 PM
TDK is not my favorite movie of all time, but it's up there. I'm a Star Wars nut.

However, I haven't seen anything better than TDK since it came out. I was really hoping that Watchmen would top it. Unfortunately, it didn't.

I just can't get past the blatant omissions it had.

I never heard of this movie until I saw the previews for it at the TDK. Neither me nor my friend who happens to have been into comics too.

JoeChalupa
03-06-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm going to read the novel and wait on the movie.

peewee's lovechild
03-06-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm going to read the novel and wait on the movie.

It's a rather quick read.

jack sommerset
03-06-2009, 05:59 PM
I love movies and take lil pride on knowing whats coming out,who is in movies, you know the trivia...... I never heard of Watchmen until a few weeks ago. I think I heard of it first because of a lawsuit,not sure about that.

Should I be embarassed I never heard of Watchmen.

biological clock
03-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I love movies and take lil pride on knowing whats coming out,who is in movies, you know the trivia...... I never heard of Watchmen until a few weeks ago. I think I heard of it first because of a lawsuit,not sure about that.

Should I be embarassed I never heard of Watchmen.

I've never heard of them either.

mexicanjunior
03-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Up until the trailers, I had never heard of this comic. Since I know nothing about the original story, I will probably enjoy the movie. I get what Peewee is saying though, the changes made to the Transformers movie (Megatron isn't an effing spaceship!) bothered me in the same way...

jack sommerset
03-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Up until the trailers, I had never heard of this comic. Since I know nothing about the original story, I will probably enjoy the movie. I get what Peewee is saying though, the changes made to the Transformers movie (Megatron isn't an effing spaceship!) bothered me in the same way...

I'm thinking the same thing about enjoying the flick because I know nothing of it and I did not read Pee Wees review but will after I see it. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised

jcrod
03-06-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't really judge movies I haven't seen (unless they are just obviously bogus) but this movie based on TV spots and previews looks quite far fetched and comic book like for kids. So in other words they don't get me to want to see it at all. I'm sure I will though.

I believe its rated R, so it should be far from kid like....I hope.

I also never heard of them before I read about the movie. I was thinking of reading it, but will probably just see the movie so I want be disappointed.

As others said, Transformers was a huge disappointment, XMen, etc...

CuckingFunt
03-06-2009, 07:48 PM

There is not a single thing about this film that is for kids. Both the film and the graphic novel are quite decidedly adult.

florige
03-06-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm thinking the same thing about enjoying the flick because I know nothing of it and I did not read Pee Wees review but will after I see it. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised

Thats how I was after seeing V for Vendetta. I know alot of people here hated it but I liked it. I was just bored one Monday night and took a chance in seeing it. I had no idea what is was about.

If only the Watchman had given "the" Peewee his damn killer squid we wouldn't be having this conversation. lol

MiamiHeat
03-07-2009, 12:29 AM
dont really care. i'll catch it on DVD though

Slinkyman
03-07-2009, 03:55 AM
Never read the comic and just saw the movie and really liked it. Had there been a squid i don't think i would have liked it as much, actually i know i wouldn't have. I know the guy that made the film was a huge Watchmen fan so if he didn't put the squid in he must of had his reasons, the movie was already approaching 3 hours too.

The "looks quite far fetched and comic book like for kids" comment is really funny considering there's a ton of big blue dick in the film, not something you would want your kids to see.

=RTM=
03-07-2009, 07:11 AM
dont really care. I'll catch it on dvd though

+1

Dr.Manhattan
03-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I am disappointed, PeeWee. VERY disappointed.

peewee's lovechild
03-08-2009, 11:48 AM
I am disappointed, PeeWee. VERY disappointed.

I'm disappointed that you decided to wear eyeliner for the movie.

Seriously, what the fuck was that?

Fpoonsie
03-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Let me know what you think when you see it.

Well, I watched it yesterday afternoon before goin to work. A few things...

1. Couldn't agree w/ you more that both the Silk Spectre and Ms. Jupiter were terribly cast. When the best acting you get from your actress is during a love scene in knee-high superhero/hooker boots, there's a problem...though, I'm not necessarily saying that that scene wasn't sexy as hell.

2. Also in total agreement w/ your remarks concerning Rorshach. Apparently, they figured out a way to pull the character himself STRAIGHT from the pages of the graphic novel. Stellar performance.

3. Thought Dr. Manhattan was very well done, but for whatever reason (and please don't Frued me up too severely for this), I couldn't NOT notice the giant blue penis on the screen during each shot. I was kind've hoping it wouldn't be AS defined (like in the comic books) as it was. I certainly don't envy the CGI guy that had to draw that "detail" in each time.

4. When I thought of Ozy in the book, I thought of a larger than life persona, aside from just the clothes he chose to wear. His (again, as you said) Manhattan-like demeanor was awkward and seemingly out of character...atleast, the character I envisioned.

Side note: So, in this Nixon-elected-for-3rd-term-alternate-dimension-or-whatever, creatures like Bubastis (again, sp?) are commonplace? Why would they just THROW him out there w/o any explanation. It caused a chuckle/lol from many un unknowing audience member. I know that thing wasn't at ALL a key character, but a quick 1 minute exchange of dialogue could've cleared a lot of confusion.

5. The ending. Finally, where we don't NECESSARILY agree. I'll grant you that, as a fan from VERY early on, I can certainly understand your problem w/ every bit of it, but when the movie began to even drag for ME (a fan of the novel), I can see where another 30 minutes or so of build-up could've sent me, as well as your avg moviegoer over the edge.

Overall, I thought the movie was okay. I suppose it was what I expected, so I was neither pleasantly surprised NOR disappointed. Liked Sin City better. Jessica Alba + Rosario Dawson=win.

Whisky Dog
03-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Went to see this with my woman on Friday night. She was bored. I was bored too.

Rorshach was the saving grace of the film. The only character with any passion or emotion. His scenes were the only thing keeping me from walking out after 30 minutes.

I never read the novel. I just know the movie, and I can tell when actors are extemely flat and there is no chemistry between characters at all. This movie had me checking my phone and asking myself "how much longer" 5 or 6 times.

Oh, and if they would have dropped a fucking squid into that garbage at any point in time I would have walked out. They probably should have done that anyway because the only thing I was hearing people talk about as we all were walking out of the theater was how bad it sucked, so a squid wouldn't have done much more damage.

Blake
03-08-2009, 03:02 PM
that pretty much does it for me....

waiting for the video release....

mFFL03
03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Went to see this with my woman on Friday night. She was bored. I was bored too.

Rorshach was the saving grace of the film. The only character with any passion or emotion. His scenes were the only thing keeping me from walking out after 30 minutes.

I never read the novel. I just know the movie, and I can tell when actors are extemely flat and there is no chemistry between characters at all. This movie had me checking my phone and asking myself "how much longer" 5 or 6 times.

Oh, and if they would have dropped a fucking squid into that garbage at any point in time I would have walked out. They probably should have done that anyway because the only thing I was hearing people talk about as we all were walking out of the theater was how bad it sucked, so a squid wouldn't have done much more damage.

My friend had the same review of the movie. Except he went to happy hour before hand, so instead of walking out, he just decided to go pass out.

I'll wait until the dollar movies, which I suspect this movie will be at in 6 weeks.

tp2021
03-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Peoples interests escape me sometimes. Fanboys thought it sucked, people who never heard of it before thought it sucked. I thought it was really good. Rorschach was the best part of the movie, followed closely by Night Owl hittin that shit. Sure the ending was different, but the message was the same. I doubt it could have been done better. In fact, going in I thought the potential to fail was huge. But I thoroughly enjoyed it, the only things I didn't like were Ozymandias' character, and...well I already said I really liked Rorschach.

lefty
03-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Maeeh, I wasn't planning on paying for that movie anyway.......

I may downl... rent when it's on DVD

xtremesteven33
03-08-2009, 08:26 PM
the movie sucked....i walked out

florige
03-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I just think that this is one of those movies that you sorta had to know what you were watching. Some people read the novel and knew what it was about and knew what to look for. The previews didn't spark my interest at all. People who had no idea who or what The Watchman were, probably were going into this movie thinking this was going to be a brand new group of exciting super heroes along the lines of The Fantastic Four.

monosylab1k
03-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I thought about maybe seeing it, but then I saw the nearly 3 hour running time and decided to do something better.

-SpursHaveFourRings

Spurminator
03-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I liked it a lot. I'd even go as far as to say I preferred the film's ending to the book. I think if there was a conspiracy to create a mega-disaster designed to unite humanity, people will be more engaged when a face can be put on the disaster... a single "enemy" like Dr. Manhattan. When a giant squid falls on a city, who is your enemy?

Some of the acting was off (Veidt especially), but my only real problem with the movie was the soundtrack. I really don't think it needed so many well-known mainstream classic rock songs... it often distracted from the film and took away from the scenes they were supporting.

CuckingFunt
03-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Some of the acting was off (Veidt especially), but my only real problem with the movie was the soundtrack. I really don't think it needed so many well-known mainstream classic rock songs... it often distracted from the film and took away from the scenes they were supporting.

I definitely agree with this criticism. If it weren't for the fact that I liked most of the songs used (even if only for their nostalgic appeal), it would have really annoyed me.

MANGINA
03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
I went and seen it and I totally enjoyed it. Haven't read the book though and I"m glad I didn't since I just went with the flow of the movie and understood it enough to get it without being critical of what was missing. I would recommend it.

Amarelooms
03-08-2009, 11:16 PM
The movies was pretty bad....cheesy and lame.

Medvedenko
03-09-2009, 03:14 AM
I loved the movie and upon further introspection I need to see it again. It's too dense for 1 viewing and like the book, takes on different meanings. I had no issue with the changes from the source material. I wish it was a little longer and hoping for a Director's Cut that comes close to what Synder really wanted.

CuckingFunt
03-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I loved the movie and upon further introspection I need to see it again. It's too dense for 1 viewing and like the book, takes on different meanings. I had no issue with the changes from the source material. I wish it was a little longer and hoping for a Director's Cut that comes close to what Synder really wanted.

According to Snyder at Wondercon, the DVD release will have a ton of extra footage, including a version of the film with the "Black Freighter" storyline edited in as it is in the novel.

peewee's lovechild
03-09-2009, 10:09 AM
According to Snyder at Wondercon, the DVD release will have a ton of extra footage, including a version of the film with the "Black Freighter" storyline edited in as it is in the novel.

The Black Freighter will be released as a supplement to the Watchmen DVD. I believe the producers said it's going to be a motion comic, if not an animated feature.

CuckingFunt
03-09-2009, 10:12 AM
The Black Freighter will be released as a supplement to the Watchmen DVD. I believe the producers said it's going to be a motion comic, if not an animated feature.

Wow, the movie doesn’t even come out this month and we’ve already got news not just on a Director’s Cut, but also on the More More More edition! While speaking at a Press Junket today, Zack Snyder told my fellow writers and I about plans for Watchmen on DVD. It is as follows:

Summer/July: Director’s Cut. This cut will feature “99% of what we shot,” footage which Zack Snyder said he liked. The run time on this edition will be just over 3 hours long, compared to the 2:35ish run time of the theatrical version. It will be more violent, more sexy, and have more naked Dr. Manhattan. Also included will be entire scenes excised from the movie for time.

Fall/Last Quarter: The Black Freighter Edition. This title may not be the final title, but it is how Snyder identified it. He told us that they shot all the Ins and Outs of The Black Freighter pieces from the comic book, which for those of you who haven’t read it, mostly revolve around a boy and newsstand salesman. You can see these characters in the film, but they don’t have an impact on the story. The big news is that The Black Freighter, the animated movie, will be cut into the film. The animated film is said to be 22minutes long which, with the In and Out shots, will bump the presentation to about 3hours and 25minutes. Snyder referred to this release as the “fetishistic and kind of crazy” release, as it is so complete.

So there you have it, friends. Watchmen hits theaters on March 6th and there will be all sorts of awesomeness happening on DVD (and presumably Blu-ray) later this year.

Reichen Lehmkuhl
03-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I couldn't NOT notice the giant blue penis on the screen during each shot. I was kind've hoping it wouldn't be AS defined (like in the comic books) as it was.

:eyebrows:reading

peewee's lovechild
03-09-2009, 10:20 AM
I've had more time to think about it, and I came up with the same conclusion. The changes at the end just kill the film for me.

Look, it doesn't make sense to make Dr. Manhattan the scape goat. There's no way that he will serve as the deterent that makes humanity come together.

There's a reason for this thinking.

If you paid attention during the film, the prospect of Dr. Manhattan wreaking havoc hadn't stopped the Soviet Union from attempting to invade Afganistan. There were already overtures to this before Dr. Manhattan went missing. So, if it hadn't deterred the Soviets previously, why would it deter them now?

Also, Dr. Manhattan was an agent for the United States. According to the movie, wich was a huge departure from the graphic novel, the Dr. Manhattan attacks happened all over the world, in cities such as Paris, Hong Kong, Moscow, etc. Why would the world not unite to attack the U.S. because one of their agents attacked them?

There's no reason to work with, and unite with, the U.S. if they have an agent that's attacking them. Sure, there was also an attack on NYC, but that could be viewed as the U.S. covering their ass.

It just doesn't make sense.

What made the final chapter in the graphic novel so jarring was that the first few panels showed the carnage that occured when the squid creature appeared from another dimension. There was none of that in the movie. All that showed was a huge flash and a huge hole in the ground. There was no impact, at all.

That just killed the movie for me.

And, before people make claims about how the squid story would've added 30 minutes to an already long movie, that could've been very easily dealt with. Snyder could've cut out the 15 minute scence with Lee Iacoca and his auto industry goons and he could've cut the scene where Ozzy and Dr. Manhattan explain the "project" their working on together.

That gives you the 30 minutes right there!!

Snyder made a huge mistake changing one of the prinicpal aspects of the story's plot.

peewee's lovechild
03-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Also, there's the issue of Bubastis . . .

Why put in Bubastis, which has the wrong color I might add (but that's being too picky), if you're not going to explain Veidt's foray into genetics and how that relates directly to the squid creature and his own super human strength and agility?

That was a big swing and a miss by Snyder.

Also, that scene where Dan and Laurie are talking about their costumed hero past . . . . it takes place in the restaurant?? Where people can hear their conversation??

Aren't they trying to keep their past a secret??

There's no way to justify this.

peewee's lovechild
03-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Wow, the movie doesn’t even come out this month and we’ve already got news not just on a Director’s Cut, but also on the More More More edition! While speaking at a Press Junket today, Zack Snyder told my fellow writers and I about plans for Watchmen on DVD. It is as follows:

Summer/July: Director’s Cut. This cut will feature “99% of what we shot,” footage which Zack Snyder said he liked. The run time on this edition will be just over 3 hours long, compared to the 2:35ish run time of the theatrical version. It will be more violent, more sexy, and have more naked Dr. Manhattan. Also included will be entire scenes excised from the movie for time.

Fall/Last Quarter: The Black Freighter Edition. This title may not be the final title, but it is how Snyder identified it. He told us that they shot all the Ins and Outs of The Black Freighter pieces from the comic book, which for those of you who haven’t read it, mostly revolve around a boy and newsstand salesman. You can see these characters in the film, but they don’t have an impact on the story. The big news is that The Black Freighter, the animated movie, will be cut into the film. The animated film is said to be 22minutes long which, with the In and Out shots, will bump the presentation to about 3hours and 25minutes. Snyder referred to this release as the “fetishistic and kind of crazy” release, as it is so complete.

So there you have it, friends. Watchmen hits theaters on March 6th and there will be all sorts of awesomeness happening on DVD (and presumably Blu-ray) later this year.

I stand corrected.

CuckingFunt
03-09-2009, 10:27 AM
I stand corrected.

My post wasn't intended to negate yours. The Black Freighter stuff is being released as its own DVD, as is Watchmen, but then there will be a later release combining the two.

Spurminator
03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Black Freighter trailer:

_zUgBK0-qbo

peewee's lovechild
03-09-2009, 11:28 AM
The funny thing is that I'm not crazy about putting the Black Freighter in the movie.

As a matter of fact, I wasn't too crazy about it being in the graphic novel. I know it forshadows what's to come and what not, but I've always thought that it gives the story too much of a distraction.

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2009, 11:55 AM
is this movie like league of extraordinary men? a bunch of no name superheroes i never heard of

peewee's lovechild
03-09-2009, 12:01 PM
is this movie like league of extraordinary men? a bunch of no name superheroes i never heard of

You never heard of Tom Sawyer?

monosylab1k
03-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Black Freighter trailer:

_zUgBK0-qbo

So this is the visionary cartoon based on the visionary comic adapted into a visionary movie by the most visionary visionary of all time?

spurshave4rings

Cant_Be_Faded
03-10-2009, 12:29 AM
I saw it Sunday night. Never read the graphic novel, so my take will be an authentic non-fanboy take.

I pretty much agree with 99% of what's been said here. From the moderately distracting soundtrack, to the characters that came across weak.

Still liked the movie overall. The action scenes were on point, and if you just accepted what Snyder was trying to do (play out a movie like a comic, duh) then it was pretty cool. Two couples walked out during this movie, I guess it got too boring for them. There were definite lulls in the storytelling, but that was to be expected.

Also, as someone who hasn't read the graphic novel, the Dr. Manhattan scapegoat thing isn't completely senseless. I definitely am not shocked that that was something they added, and it did seem a bit forced, but it made sense in the context of the movie. When this happened it was obvious he wouldn't care, because the US and Soviets would reconcile and he would understand.

But the plot, for the most part, was kind of hard to follow for me, mostly because I wasn't familiar with the names. One thing I still don't get....why was the comedian all sad and shit, crying to his arch enemy in that one part? I don't get that.

The comedian was a fucking cool character though, especially when he jumps from Archemides and starts blasting those fucking hippies in the back. It was brutal. Rorshach was tight, and Dr Manhattan and his little Mars thing was tight as fuck. The overall graphics for this movie were amazing.
The antagonist guy, and the silk spectres mom were pretty weak though. I did not feel the antagonist's motivation at all for doing what he did, and in fact, we hardly got to know him.

I liked it. Better than Dark Knight, that's for damn sure. At least they showed a minimum of five pints of blood in each fight scene. Even if it was blatantly comic-esque.

Ignignokt
03-10-2009, 01:02 AM
I saw it Sunday night. Never read the graphic novel, so my take will be an authentic non-fanboy take.

I pretty much agree with 99% of what's been said here. From the moderately distracting soundtrack, to the characters that came across weak.

Still liked the movie overall. The action scenes were on point, and if you just accepted what Snyder was trying to do (play out a movie like a comic, duh) then it was pretty cool. Two couples walked out during this movie, I guess it got too boring for them. There were definite lulls in the storytelling, but that was to be expected.

Also, as someone who hasn't read the graphic novel, the Dr. Manhattan scapegoat thing isn't completely senseless. I definitely am not shocked that that was something they added, and it did seem a bit forced, but it made sense in the context of the movie. When this happened it was obvious he wouldn't care, because the US and Soviets would reconcile and he would understand.

But the plot, for the most part, was kind of hard to follow for me, mostly because I wasn't familiar with the names. One thing I still don't get....why was the comedian all sad and shit, crying to his arch enemy in that one part? I don't get that.

The comedian was a fucking cool character though, especially when he jumps from Archemides and starts blasting those fucking hippies in the back. It was brutal. Rorshach was tight, and Dr Manhattan and his little Mars thing was tight as fuck. The overall graphics for this movie were amazing.
The antagonist guy, and the silk spectres mom were pretty weak though. I did not feel the antagonist's motivation at all for doing what he did, and in fact, we hardly got to know him.

I liked it. Better than Dark Knight, that's for damn sure. At least they showed a minimum of five pints of blood in each fight scene. Even if it was blatantly comic-esque.

Dude, i would totally be your press secretary if you ran for president, i don't give a rats ass the platform.

IronMexican
03-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Is it true that blue guy's cock was out during the movie?

Jacob1983
03-10-2009, 01:28 AM
Yes, it's true. Personally, I could have done without the male full frontal nudity. I konw that Dr. Manhattan was computerized or some parts of him were but the full frontal nudity was really graphic and unncessary. He should have put on some pants or shorts. Anyways, I liked the movie. I thought it was an entertaining super hero movie. There were some parts of the movie that I hated like The Comedian. I thought The Comedian was a real d-bag. You don't shoot a pregnant woman. I also didn't like Dr. Manhattan. He came off as a know it all and very arrogant. The Night Owl and Rorshach characters made up for those two d-bags.

IronMexican
03-10-2009, 01:31 AM
That's enough for me to catch this flick.

tp2021
03-10-2009, 01:31 AM
...He does know it all, he's fucking Dr. Manhattan.

Death In June
03-10-2009, 02:03 AM
I thought the movie was excellent. I had some issues with the fight scenes and the pacing, but overall, I was entertained. The comedian, rorschach, and dr manhattan were awesome. Hopefully the directors cut will include the omitted squid so fanboys can shut their gob and see how much worse the movie would have been. Mostly, I was annoyed by the parents who brought their nanny, and their four kids (all about 3-5 years old) and let them wander the goddamn isles the entire movie. Funny, the mother ran out to cover their eyes during the fucking but was totally cool with letting them see rorschach take a butcher knife to a dudes skull.

MannyIsGod
03-10-2009, 07:51 AM
I didn't think the movie was great. I thought it was OK I guess, and had some entertaining value but really - as Joe Chalupa would say - wait for it on DVD. I had never read any of it before, and I'm somewhat intrigued to do so now but I think I let the hype get me expecting something much better than this. I think the major failing of the movie is that it tries to do too much in too little of a time and without the backstory you would have from reading the books you're left with a poorly developed plot line with far too many characters to fully flesh out in the time frame of the movie.

I do think Rorschach was pretty awesome but that was pretty much about it. And while I think the underlying premise of super heroes being all fucked up and some of the other characters being cool, there was just so much weak development here that it was disappointing.

Richard Cranium
03-10-2009, 07:56 AM
I've heard some reviews and for the most part they are predicting this flick will fade out fast.

Dr. Gonzo
03-10-2009, 08:38 AM
I loved the book but the movie was boring as hell. I didn't even care enough to think a little deeper about it. I really just couldn't wait for it to be over.

J.T.
03-15-2009, 05:01 AM
Sorry for jumping on this a little late but last Sunday was my little bro's 18th birthday and my funds were invested in getting myself as fucked up as possible for the occasion. Caught the movie last night and thought it's one of the better comic to film adaptations Hollywood has done. I don't know how I rank it in comparison with The Dark Knight starring Academy Award Winner Heath Ledger, but it's still a pretty damn good film.

This movie nailed down like 85% of my favorite scenes from the comic, so I don't have many bad things to say about it. I rather did not like the elimination of the bad blood between Sally and Laurie. The thing I didn't like the most was Billy Crudup's voiceover of Doctor Manhattan. The whole time I was just waiting for Dr. M to say:

Intrinsic Field Subtractor, $300 billion dollars.
Watchmen budget, $120 million dollars.
Hi tech superhero equipment, $10 million dollars.
Big Mac with fries, $4 dollars.
Watching the sunrise on Mars, priceless.

J.T.
03-15-2009, 05:08 AM
Oh, and the most epic thing I saw happen during the movie wasn't even on the screen. During the flashback scene when Rorschach butchers the guy that fed the little girl to the dogs, this couple gets up and starts walking out the theater with their young son who couldn't have been older than five. But they don't even make it to the bottom of the stairs before the guy starts shouting "What the fuck do you want?" and Rorschach starts chopping his head. It was like a campaign commercial for bad timing.

SpursWoman
03-15-2009, 08:15 AM
We saw it last night and were pretty disgusted with how many people brought their <10 children to see it. Yeah, it's really comfortable watching nudity, graphic fucking, and extremely gruesome violence with a bunch of toddlers. That actually took a lot of the fun away from it for me .. but the movie was okay, I guess.

Kriz-Maxima
03-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Movies was ok, especially considering its genre. I think it was a difficult book to adapt with a lot of elements. When i first found out that the ending had been changed I was a bit disgusted but after seeing it I thought it was the best choice, I don't think you can get away with a giant squib in a good movie anymore.

Laurie's apology to her mother at the end comes out of nowhere, at no point during the movie it is shown the kind of relationship they had.

I thought it lacked some magic, but still a lot better than a lot of stuff out there, and better than most super hero movies. I may be bias though.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Anyone want to explain to me why the comedian was crying like a little girl to his arch enemy? I still don't get that.

whottt
03-15-2009, 05:53 PM
No one on Earth is happier watching this movie bomb than Alan Moore, the guy who wrote the Watchmen in the first place.

#1. Not only did he write it intentionally so it could never completely be adapted in any other media format besides comicbooks..

but...

#2. The ownership rights to the Watchmen were supposed to revert back to him at some point but a loophole in the contract allows DC to retain ownership indefinitely as long as they keep reprinting the story every few years. This is one of the main reasons he no longer does work for DC and hasn't willingly in 20 years or so.

He's probably happy about the phallus though...

I haven't seen the movie yet but it had bomb written all over it for me. Not only is the story one that is difficult to adapt...it's a pretty cerebral story that won't be that exciting on film even if it is adapted well.

It looks like it's going to fall 30 million short of the cost to film it...that will make it one of the biggest bombs in history. Easily the top comicbook film bomb.

J.T.
03-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Anyone want to explain to me why the comedian was crying like a little girl to his arch enemy? I still don't get that.

Because someone took a dump on his pepperoni pizza.

Spurminator
03-15-2009, 07:03 PM
No one on Earth is happier watching this movie bomb than Alan Moore, the guy who wrote the Watchmen in the first place.

#1. Not only did he write it intentionally so it could never completely be adapted in any other media format besides comicbooks..

but...

#2. The ownership rights to the Watchmen were supposed to revert back to him at some point but a loophole in the contract allows DC to retain ownership indefinitely as long as they keep reprinting the story every few years. This is one of the main reasons he no longer does work for DC and hasn't willingly in 20 years or so.

He's probably happy about the phallus though...

I haven't seen the movie yet but it had bomb written all over it for me. Not only is the story one that is difficult to adapt...it's a pretty cerebral story that won't be that exciting on film even if it is adapted well.

It looks like it's going to fall 30 million short of the cost to film it...that will make it one of the biggest bombs in history. Easily the top comicbook film bomb.

It's going to make a ton of money on DVD.

mardigan
03-15-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm with Whott on this one. I have no interest in seeing this film and never thought it had a chance to be a good representation of the book. I read that Terry Gilliam tried to take this project on years ago, but basically said it was un-film able. And he was right, it is.

whottt
03-15-2009, 07:20 PM
It's going to make a ton of money on DVD.

That was including the DVD estimates...

Basically it had a 55 million dollar opening weekend based entirely upon hype and then fell off the map. It's expected to take in 16 million this weekend and get it's ass kicked by Race to Witch Mountain :lmao

Spurminator
03-15-2009, 07:38 PM
I think it's silly to say it's unfilmable. Watchmen is no less filmable than any other book. It was a revolutionary comic, but it wasn't the first and only novel to incorporate nontraditional storytelling devices.

Overall it translated onto film just fine. Some flaws, but very few that were a direct result of the book-to-film transfer. The average moviegoer doesn't leave the theater with any less of an understanding of the basic narrative than someone who reads the book.

If Watchmen loses money, a big reason for that will be its R rating. The filmmakers could have gone the safer route and released a watered down PG13 version to summer blockbuster audiences but I'm glad they didn't.

JoeChalupa
03-15-2009, 07:41 PM
I'll be waiting for the DVD.

SpursWoman
03-15-2009, 07:50 PM
That was including the DVD estimates...

Basically it had a 55 million dollar opening weekend based entirely upon hype and then fell off the map. It's expected to take in 16 million this weekend and get it's ass kicked by Race to Witch Mountain :lmao

I took my kids to see Witch Mountain on Friday and I liked it better than Watchman. :lol

whottt
03-15-2009, 08:36 PM
I think it's silly to say it's unfilmable. Watchmen is no less filmable than any other book. It was a revolutionary comic, but it wasn't the first and only novel to incorporate nontraditional storytelling devices.

Those are the words of Alan Moore...

Overall it translated onto film just fine.

Looks to me like a groundbreaking Hugo Award winning piece of literature that blended fantasy and realism is now going to be remembered as a lackluster action flick about a guy with a glowing johnson...

I'd hardly call that translating just fine...then again, I haven't seen it yet, but the previews didn't really get me enthused to go out and see it.

Some flaws, but very few that were a direct result of the book-to-film transfer. The average moviegoer doesn't leave the theater with any less of an understanding of the basic narrative than someone who reads the book.

If Watchmen loses money, a big reason for that will be its R rating. The filmmakers could have gone the safer route and released a watered down PG13 version to summer blockbuster audiences but I'm glad they didn't.

I expect that after I see the Watchmen the main thing I will take away from it will be that Kelly Leak grew up to be Rorshach...but that's just my early guess.

dickface
03-15-2009, 08:36 PM
If Watchmen loses money, a big reason for that will be its R rating.

That, plus the fact that it sucks.

whottt
03-15-2009, 08:37 PM
I took my kids to see Witch Mountain on Friday and I liked it better than Watchman. :lol

It looks better than Watchmen in the previews too :tu

dickface
03-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Looks to me like a groundbreaking Hugo Award winning piece of literature that blended fantasy and realism is now going to be remembered as a lackluster action flick about a guy with a glowing johnson...

:lmao

Cant_Be_Faded
03-15-2009, 08:54 PM
lol at spurswoman having kids

Spurminator makes a good point, this movie bombing does absolutely nothing to help the cause of more movies of this genre being rated R.

Spurminator
03-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Those are the words of Alan Moore...

He's a reclusive and cynical curmudgeon with an overinflated sense of the importance of his work. Of course he thinks it can't be made into a movie.

SpursWoman
03-15-2009, 09:07 PM
lol at spurswoman having kids

I've had them for about 13 years now .... ? :wtf

whottt
03-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Ok Spurminator...you like the movie, I get it. I'm just going by my reaction from the previews and what I know of the backstory from Moore. The fact remains it is on place to be a total bomb.

Add that to that the fact that what constitutes high praise for this film, even from it's vociferous defenders, is stuff like:

"It wasn't a bad film really"
"I've seen worse"
"It was ok"
"It didn't totally suck"
"It was fine"

And the easy conslusion is that this film is the Superhero version of Ishtar...

whottt
03-15-2009, 09:16 PM
He's a reclusive and cynical curmudgeon with an overinflated sense of the importance of his work. Of course he thinks it can't be made into a movie.

He's also somewhat of a genius storyteller...

I mean could you write a Hugo award winning comicbook?

Spurminator
03-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Ok Spurminator...you like the movie, I get it. I'm just going by my reaction from the previews and what I know of the backstory from Moore.
He's also somewhat of a genius storyteller...

I mean could you write a Hugo award winning comicbook?

Whether I liked it or not is irrelevant. What I'm saying is the claim that Watchmen can't be made into a movie is just fanboy snobbery.

Alan Moore has admitted to not being wild about movies in general, so it's no surprise that he'd distance himself from the film versions of his books. Still, Watchmen is a book that is meant to be read front to back, has a beginning and an end, and can be made into a movie without being completely different from the spirit of source material.

It's not like Moore invented some new storytelling technique where you have to read two pages at once starting from the middle in order to fully grasp the idea. It's not like Dr. Manhattan glows in a color previously unseen in the color spectrum, and therefore impossible to translate to screen. Unfilmable my ass.

The fact remains it is on place to be a total bomb. Add that to that the fact that what constitutes high praise for this film, even from it's vociferous defenders, is stuff like:

"It wasn't a bad film really"
"I've seen worse"
"It was ok"
"It didn't totally suck"
"It was fine"

And the easy conslusion is that this film is the Superhero version of Ishtar...

We'll see, I guess. I haven't really paid attention to box office numbers. I hope it's successful because I'd like to see more adult-skewed films of this nature, but if you're right then I guess the masses have spoken: they prefer Fantastic Four. High five!

whottt
03-15-2009, 10:05 PM
If it makes you feel any better...Alan Moore is probably more pissed off about the R rating than anyone else is...that's the other part of the reason he hasn't willingly written a comic for DC in 20 years.

whottt
03-15-2009, 10:08 PM
<<<<<<*makes mental note that Spurminator will defend the concept of any literary work being transferable to film with an intensity that makes Zionist Jews defense of Israel look like blatant indifference*

Everyone has their passion I spose...and now at last Spurm's has been revealed :waiveswhiteflag

Spurminator
03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Pfft, this is nothing. If you really want to get me worked up let's talk about merging traffic.

whottt
03-15-2009, 10:34 PM
I forgot about that one :lol

CuckingFunt
03-15-2009, 10:59 PM
I thought it was true when CBF was railing against The Dark Knight and I think it's true here: sharing your expert opinion on a film you haven't yet seen is just silly. However, wasting energy on a response to that opinion is equally silly, so... have at it.

Ultimately, however, I don't think that either of your arguments carry much weight. It's impossible to use losing money as evidence that a film is bad because, by that same logic, you'd have to use making money as evidence that Meet The Spartans is good. And Alan Moore's comments are largely irrelevant because he has already made his biases against film adaptations quite clear. He through hissy fits about From Hell and V for Vendetta being adapted, and those were both good films, too.

whottt
03-15-2009, 11:05 PM
On the contrary my dear Funt, in this case if the film turns out to be a flop it can only be because it was bad. It's not like it was poorly promoted or people hadn't heard of it. It won't even be because it wasn't true to the orginal story, because most of the people seeing it haven't read the original.

If it has a huge opening weekend and suffers a 70% decline in revenue by the following weeked, it can only be because it was poorly received and wasn't striking a resonant chord with anyone.

It doesn't get to pull the artsy fartsy card...a 55 million dollar opening weekend precludes it from that excuse.

It just appears it's not that good of a film. I will however withold ultimate judgement until actually seeing it.

CuckingFunt
03-15-2009, 11:48 PM
If it has a huge opening weekend and suffers a 70% decline in revenue by the following weeked, it can only be because it was poorly received and wasn't striking a resonant chord with anyone.

That still wouldn't necessarily mean it's bad.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-16-2009, 02:52 AM
I've had them for about 13 years now .... ? :wtf

exactly

LOL :lmao

Mark in Austin
03-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Saw it on Friday - my quick take:

Own and love the novel. Overall was satisfied with the movie. I expect the longer cut that comes out later to be better. I view this as facing a similar challenge as Kingdom of Heaven several years ago. To hit a certain run time, they cut out all the character development. I thought the theatrical version was dogshit - came in at about 120 minutes. Once Riddly Scott was able to release the 184 minute director's cut that brought back all the character development and emotional resonance, it is one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time.

I suspect Watchment will be similar. Some films just need to be long to tell their story the right way - in fact some films actually feel shorter when they add running time because the story draws you in and keeps you absorbed better. I never really fully connected emotionally with the characters in the current cut except for Rorshach and to a certain extent The Comedian and Dr Manhattan. The execution was excellent though; and I'm happy to withhold judgement until I see the movie at its true fighting weight.

Spurtacus
03-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Never read the graphic novel so I went into the film knowing very little.

Overall, I rated it a 7/10. I liked the alternate history/timeline. Characters were well developed. Plot was solid as well. Some of the dialogue went over my heads but that may be because I saw a 3 hour movie at 11pm beginning time. Not too thrilled with seeing blue dong on screen so much.

mFFL03
03-16-2009, 11:29 PM
That, plus the fact that it sucks.

ditto.

MannyIsGod
07-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Wanted to bump this since I saw it on DVD this weekend. I enjoyed it far more the 2nd time around, and I think its because I understood more about the characters this time. Maybe I just didn't pay attention enough the first time or something, but the 2nd time was better.

Still not the greatest movie ever, but very good and visually stunning. I also think the opening credit sequence is quite good - fwiw.

Those of you that haven't watched it should pick it up and give it a couple of tries.

JoeChalupa
07-07-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm going to Red Box this.

Cane
07-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Saw it a couple of days ago.

8/10 - Never read the book but I'm a movie buff.

The style was awesome but if you don't like long narrative flashbacks then this movie isn't for you. Nixon also looked like shit and wasn't much better than those Nixon masks imo but this seems intentional.

Also didn't enjoy the ending especially how Dr. Manhattan handled it but the very last few seconds made it somewhat okay.

Mister Sinister
07-07-2009, 10:56 AM
I will not eat green eggs and ham
I will not eat them, Sam I Am.
Breakfast time is at an end.
I've more important things to tend.
The service here is much too slow.
I ordered these 35 minutes ago.

Findog
07-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Found it long and boring as shit. Didn't read the graphic novel beforehand, so did not find the characters or the story resonant in any way. Just my $0.02.

EricB
07-24-2009, 01:52 AM
Tried to watch it tonight, I stopped the owl dude and the long haired chick where making out on the couch.

I couldn't get into it, none of it made sense, the whole part of the president getting relected to a 5th term, fossil fuels being evil and all that crap just reeked of political BS statements and not of a comic storyline.

IMO, one of the worst movies I've witnessed and thats saying alot.

Sorry comic guys.

Dr.Manhattan
07-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Tried to watch it tonight, I stopped the owl dude and the long haired chick where making out on the couch.

I couldn't get into it, none of it made sense, the whole part of the president getting relected to a 5th term, fossil fuels being evil and all that crap just reeked of political BS statements and not of a comic storyline.

Sorry comic guys.

Without condoning... or condemning. I understand.

Kriz-Maxima
07-24-2009, 11:01 AM

Sorry comic guys.

Is it possible that the comic book storyline made political statements?

This is not the first time I read you say this about a movie, can you not watch a movie without trying to impose your own political views to it?

JoeChalupa
07-24-2009, 11:08 AM
It sounds pretty deep but I'll probably Red Box it.

Mister Sinister
07-24-2009, 11:41 AM
I liked Rorschach better when he was called The Question. Hrrrm.

iggypop123
07-24-2009, 03:27 PM
that chick was nude alot. great for the theater viewers

EricB
07-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Is it possible that the comic book storyline made political statements?

This is not the first time I read you say this about a movie, can you not watch a movie without trying to impose your own political views to it?

How does one impose their political views onto a movie?

I saw W and thought it was very well done.

One of my favorite tv shows was Boston Legal and it was a very very left wing written show.

TheRunningMan
07-24-2009, 04:25 PM
The Watchmen had a poor run at the box office if I remember correctly.