PDA

View Full Version : Line up Change

dbestpro
03-06-2009, 01:05 PM
A change I would like to see the Spurs try is to start Manu when he comes back and bring Parker off the bench.

Parker would absolutely destroy any second unit and it would take the pressure off of Manu to carry the second unit offensively. It might allow the starters a chance to get a better feel for the game from the start as each player will see the ball a little bit more.

It would also might keep Parker from being so exhausted come the fourth quarter.

rayray2k8
03-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Should I even bother responding to this thread??
oops, guess I already did...

Spursmania
03-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Hell no...

dbestpro
03-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Leave Parker in the starting line up and Manu on the bench you can expect Manu to get hurt again trying to do too much and for Parker to miss his end of game shots because he left it all on the floor in the first quarter.

Old School 44
03-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Eva would leave him. :lol

Kori Ellis
03-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Leave Parker in the starting line up and Manu on the bench you can expect Manu to get hurt again trying to do too much and for Parker to miss his end of game shots because he left it all on the floor in the first quarter.

Parker averages over 5 points on 49% shooting in 4th quarters this season - first on the team. The next nearest Spur is Manu with 4.8 points on 43% shooting.

Parker also shoots 51% in the clutch (5 minutes or less in the 4th or OT with the game within 5 points).

I wouldn't worry about Parker sucking in the 4th.

coyotes_geek
03-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Should we start one of the 5 best point guards in the game or bring him off the bench? Hmm.

it's me
03-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Should we start one of the 5 best point guards in the game or bring him off the bench? Hmm.

Should we start one of the 5 best shooting guards in the game or bring him off the bench? Hmm

timvp
03-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Let's start Gooden and Bonner up front so Bonner can spread the court for Gooden. Duncan can play when Gooden gets in foul trouble :tu

it's me
03-06-2009, 01:38 PM
This thread FAILS anyways..

dbestpro
03-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Parker averages over 5 points on 49% shooting in 4th quarters this season - first on the team. The next nearest Spur is Manu with 4.8 points on 43% shooting.

Parker also shoots 51% in the clutch (5 minutes or less in the 4th or OT with the game within 5 points).

It may not be fair to compare Tony and Manu in crunch time this year as Manu has been hurt so much. Having said that and according to 82games.com Manu ranks 13th in crunch time scoring while Parker ranks 24 which is the important time for the 4th quarter.

For Tony it isn't just his offense that defines him but his defense, as well which seems to wane in the fourth quarter because he has not paced himself enough throughout the game.

dbestpro
03-06-2009, 01:44 PM
This thread FAILS anyways..

The thread was about giving a new look a try. The only failure that ever occurs is when you do not try. I'm sure you were posting the same thing when Pop first decided to give Manu a try from the bench.

hater
03-06-2009, 01:45 PM
this idea is as stupid as the idea of bringin Manu off the bench. oh, wait...

seriously, the only reason Manu coming of the bench was born is because Finley and former SPur Barry would come in off the bench and stink the place up.

we cannot use this strategy for every position on the floor. enough is enough

Solid D
03-06-2009, 01:47 PM

Good due-diligence, Kori. Now you know not to suggest this move to Pop in your next interview with him.

EJK5032
03-06-2009, 01:59 PM
are you on crack ?

dbestpro
03-06-2009, 02:05 PM
fyi - all kinds of stats to prove all kinds of points are in the link below,

http://www.82games.com/0809/0809SAS.HTM

Kori Ellis
03-06-2009, 02:17 PM
It may not be fair to compare Tony and Manu in crunch time this year as Manu has been hurt so much. Having said that and according to 82games.com Manu ranks 13th in crunch time scoring while Parker ranks 24 which is the important time for the 4th quarter.

For Tony it isn't just his offense that defines him but his defense, as well which seems to wane in the fourth quarter because he has not paced himself enough throughout the game.

:lol I wasn't comparing Tony to Manu. I was saying that Tony is first and Manu is second - stating that they are the top two. Anyway, the Spurs wouldn't bring Parker off the bench.

TwelveGs210
03-06-2009, 02:20 PM
A change I would like to see the Spurs try is to start Manu when he comes back and bring Parker off the bench.

Parker would absolutely destroy any second unit and it would take the pressure off of Manu to carry the second unit offensively. It might allow the starters a chance to get a better feel for the game from the start as each player will see the ball a little bit more.

It would also might keep Parker from being so exhausted come the fourth quarter.

lmao @ this...yeah START JAUQUE VAUGHN!!!

TwelveGs210
03-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Eva would leave him. :lol

yeah Eva has a "no-fuck back-up PG" clause on her marriage contract

Please_dont_ban_me
03-06-2009, 02:23 PM
TP is diff than Manu mentally.

I don't want to say fragile...but I def think TP wouldn't handle it as well as Manu has.

TwelveGs210
03-06-2009, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE=timvp;3170694]Let's start Gooden and Bonner up front so Bonner can spread the court for Gooden. Duncan can play when Gooden gets in foul trouble

:lmao

Please_dont_ban_me
03-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Let's start Gooden and Bonner up front so Bonner can spread the court for Gooden. Duncan can play when Gooden gets in foul trouble :tu

http://k41.pbase.com/o4/04/410504/1/65051706.xkI91cbe.DSC_69392.jpg

Dex
03-06-2009, 02:46 PM
We should start with a lineup of Vaughn/Hairston/Bonner/Gooden/Pops.

Then, when the second units come in, we will immediately be able to obliterate the 20-point lead we will've spotted every opponent.

Dex
03-06-2009, 02:48 PM

Then, when the second units come in, we will immediately be able to obliterate the 20-point lead we will've spotted every opponent.

On second thought, Gooden is too good for this plan.

Bring Tolliver back.

completely deck
03-06-2009, 03:10 PM
We don't even have Pops anymore, Dex. Where have you been?

TwelveGs210
03-06-2009, 03:24 PM

:lol

PDXSpursFan
03-06-2009, 03:42 PM
I think that we would be better with Ginobili in the starting lineup and Mason coming off the bench. Man, I miss those days when tip off will always result on an easy Ginobili layup.

DAF86
03-06-2009, 04:04 PM

Good one but now hear mine... Let's start Finley and Mason in the wings so Mason can spread the floor for Michael to penetrate. Manu can play when Finley needs a breather :tu ... oh wait...

Seriously guys why is it only OK to think that Manu is the only star that can come off the bench. If Pop would have played Ginobili as a starter during his whole career and a guy would'd started a thread asking to bench Ginobili so that he can "bring a spark off the bench". All of you Pop's dick suckers would be laughing at this poor guy.

DAF86
03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
And one more thing: playing Manu off the bench instead of in the starting line-up doesn't make this team any better, it makes it the same at best.

The only reason Manu comes from the bench now is 'cause we lose that first 2005 playoffs game against Denver and then went to win the next 4 with Manu coming off the bench. Does somebody really think that we'd have lost any of those games if he'd have stayed in the starting line-up? or better yet does anybody think that we'd have won that championship with Manu coming off the bench against Detroit?... 'nuff said.

TMTTRIO
03-06-2009, 04:36 PM
I think when Manu comes back from his injury they need to start him otherwise he's going to play poorly and not let the game come to him or might get injured again trying to take on too much right now after coming off an injury. I think it's time for him to play with Tim and Tony again when he comes back. Forget this energy spark off the bench. Mason has been great this season and can play well coming off the bench.

Austin_Toros
03-06-2009, 04:43 PM

At the expense of the rest of the game?
Who will play PG??

I think this guy is trying to subtly promote Vaughn and advocate a starting position for him. :ihit

YODA
03-06-2009, 04:52 PM

Kori, What site did you get these stats from? Id love to look into stats like this.

On the thread...Come on now people, use your head just a little bit.
Gee, maybe we should bring Tim off the Bench..He would crush the second string...
lol

Chomag
03-06-2009, 04:53 PM
HEY!!! How about we play Manu at PF so that TD can get can paly with the second unit omg that would be pure leetness...:rolleyes

Wow, the love for Manu can be blindng around here. He is a great player and all but he is what he is and not a PG or a center or a power forward at that matter. He can give you some minutes in PG as the game goes on of course for time when it might be needed, but he is still out of position there.

DAF86
03-06-2009, 04:57 PM
HEY!!! How about we play Manu at PF so that TD can get can paly with the second unit omg that would be pure leetness...:rolleyes

Wow, the love for Manu can be blindng around here. He is a great player and all but he is what he is and not a PG or a center or a power forward at that matter. He can give you some minutes in PG as the game goes on of course for time when it might be needed, but he is still out of position there.

I don't think the OP was literally suggesting to replace Tony with Manu straight away, maybe start Hill with Manu and have Tony and Finley or Mason coming off the bench.

P/S: I'm not in favour of benching Tony, but I do bealive we should end with this "spark" thing crap and start Manu.

TMTTRIO
03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Benching Tony is ridiculous but I also agree that the 'spark thing is over and that Manu needs to start with Tim and Tony. Our bench has been playing great without him.

it's me
03-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Yea…. Ginobili is sucking this season … time to start him.

Kori Ellis
03-06-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't think the OP was literally suggesting to replace Tony with Manu straight away, maybe start Hill with Manu and have Tony and Finley or Mason coming off the bench.

P/S: I'm not in favour of benching Tony, but I do bealive we should end with this "spark" thing crap and start Manu.

Bringing Manu off the bench is an easy way to manage his minutes and allow him to have the ball in his hands more often. However, come playoff time, I'm in favor of starting the five best players - and that obviously includes Manu.

Parker2112
03-06-2009, 05:22 PM
^^^^^^^

Right on cue...
The fucking Parker Police!
Where are Kori and Timvp when Manu gets criticized on this board?

And why is it so necessary to stick up for Parker? Does his game not speak for himself?

spurspokesman
03-06-2009, 05:43 PM
:lmao Or maybe start udoka, vaughn.