PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Also Wanted Gooden

IronMexican
03-06-2009, 04:56 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers made a strong play for Drew Gooden before the forward signed with the Spurs.

“I got calls from (the Lakers) trying to get me,” said Gooden. "It was a game of chess probably. (The Lakers) probably knew San Antonio was the team they had to get past in the West."

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford was the first basketball executive to contact Gooden when the Kings negotiated a buyout of what remained of his contract, which was to pay him $7.151 million this season.

“R.C. kind of made this thing happen,” Gooden said. “When he learned about me having a possible buyout from Sacramento, he was the first one on it. That kind of lets you know there is a need for you, rather than having a luxury.

“A lot of teams were calling as soon as they found out I was bought out, but San Antonio was the best fit for me, and not only for the rest of the year. I think there might be a future here for me.”

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57731/20090306/lakers_also_wanted_gooden/

scanry
03-06-2009, 05:10 PM
The Lakers don't need Gooden. They have way too much depth to find playing time for Gooden.

Brazil
03-06-2009, 05:20 PM
It was not to add Gooden to their roster for the POs it was just to warm the chair for Bynum and avoid Gooden going to the spurs.

Bob Lanier
03-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Gooden is a better player than Bynum, so I'm not sure where you get off saying that.

JoeTait75
03-06-2009, 05:28 PM
(The Lakers) probably knew San Antonio was the team they had to get past in the West."

That's our Drew. Nothing gets by him!

Ghazi
03-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Gooden is a better player than Bynum, so I'm not sure where you get off saying that.

You CANT be serious...

IronMexican
03-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Yes, Drew Gooden is a better player. Why else would the Cavs, Bulls, and Kings all get rid of him.

Rogue
03-06-2009, 05:35 PM
:lol

SpursDynasty
03-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Haha Lakers. They're obviously scared of the Spurs with Drew Gooden.

Next Thursday should be interesting

DrHouse
03-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Next Thursday is not really going to be interesting.

Yet again the Lakers will have to play on the tail end of a b2b and neither Bynum nor Manu will be available.

Regardless of who wins/loses it doesn't tell us much about what a matchup is going to be when both teams are at full strength.

DPG21920
03-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Not saying that Bynum does not help the Lakers, but the Lakers losing Bynum is no where near as devastating as the Spurs missing Manu.

Muser
03-06-2009, 05:59 PM
I agree with House. Thursday really doesn't prove anything.

Banzai
03-06-2009, 06:02 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/17/1235588009756.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=3714)

IronMexican
03-06-2009, 06:03 PM
I agree, Thursday proves nothing. Unless LA wins, then I think it proves everything.

Dex
03-06-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm still not sure when I entered the alternative universe where Andrew Bynum has accomplished ANYTHING.

DrHouse
03-06-2009, 06:08 PM
I guess I don't respect the Spurs enough to care much about regular season games. I already saw what I needed to see in the last game.

When the Lakers are at full strength the Spurs are no match.

BlackSwordsMan
03-06-2009, 06:10 PM
reg games don't matter unless your team wins

Rogue
03-06-2009, 06:23 PM
I guess I don't respect the Spurs enough to care much about regular season games. I already saw what I needed to see in the last game.

exactly, the Lakers will always beat the spurs easily no matter if the Lakers are fully healthy or suffering from injuries. Lakers to spurs is just like what scissors are to cloth, while the suns are the stone to the lakers.

SpursDynasty
03-06-2009, 06:29 PM
The Spurs are a different team with Gooden now.

Even though Gooden isn't an All-Star, neither is Pau Gasol and his presence on the floor made a difference for LA

pauls931
03-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Haha Lakers. They're obviously scared of the Spurs with Drew Gooden.

Next Thursday should be interesting

True, they might have tried to get him just so the Spurs couldn't beef up their frontcourt.

ginobili's bald spot
03-06-2009, 06:50 PM

:lol I hope this was sarcasm.

crc21209
03-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Don't be so sure Manu wont be back yet Laker fans, he always seems to come back earlier than expected, even if Pop is being extra cautious now.

crc21209
03-06-2009, 06:59 PM

Actually, with both teams at full strength this year the Spurs and Lakers are 1-1. So to say the Spurs are no match for the Lakers is kinda off.

Ghazi
03-06-2009, 07:11 PM
1-1, but should be 2-0 Lakers

Which would make them 7-1 in the last 8 games against the Spurs.

Anywho, if a Spurs fan can use the "1-1" regular season series to imply they're on the level of the Lakers, can a Bucks fan use the "0-2" regular season series to imply they're a notch above the Spurs? :D

Def Rowe
03-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Drew Gooden = Brian Skinner

Allanon
03-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Actually, with both teams at full strength this year the Spurs and Lakers are 1-1. So to say the Spurs are no match for the Lakers is kinda off.

In the first loss, Luke was injured, he's the Lakers starting SF. Also, no Farmar, no Machine in the first loss. Spurs bench outscored Lakers bench 41 to 25. In addition, it was the 2nd night of a B2B in San Antonio.

Spurs won by 1 on a stupid foul by Fisher and nice shot by Mason.

In the second game, the Lakers had everybody back at full strength, the Lakers won by 14 and Kobe didn't even play in the 4th quarter. It was such a beating, even Pop threw in the towel and didn't play Duncan/Parker in the 4th either.

So far, there's only been 1 "full strength" game between the two teams.

Next Thursday, the stars again are again aligned in favor of the Spurs (in SaS, Lakers in B2B), there's really no excuse for the Spurs not to win.

The Spurs are supposed to win this next game, but will they?

BlackSwordsMan
03-06-2009, 07:24 PM
In the first loss, Luke was injured, he's the Lakers starting SF. Also, no Farmar, no Machine in the first loss. Spurs bench outscored Lakers bench 41 to 25. In addition, it was the 2nd night of a B2B in San Antonio.

In the second game, the Lakers had everybody back at full strength, the Lakers won by 14 and Kobe didn't even play in the 4th quarter. It was such a beating, even Pop threw in the towel and didn't play Duncan/Parker in the 4th either.

Next Thursday, the stars again are again aligned in favor of the Spurs (in SaS, Lakers in B2B), there's really no excuse for the Spurs not to win.

the art of fighting without fighting

lefty
03-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Next Thursday is not really going to be interesting.

Yet again the Lakers will have to play on the tail end of a b2b and neither Bynum nor Manu will be available.

Regardless of who wins/loses it doesn't tell us much about what a matchup is going to be when both teams are at full strength.

+1

That's true for the first 2 games btwn Spurs and Lakers; they meant nothing

TwelveGs210
03-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Yes, Drew Gooden is a better player. Why else would the Cavs, Bulls, and Kings all get rid of him.

lol

Bob Lanier
03-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Skinner was known for his defense; he never had any offensive game and wasn't a great rebounder. Gooden, on the other hand, is one of the NBA's premier rebounders and is, in his own words, "a beast on the block" who simply has never cared to play defense.

MarHill
03-06-2009, 11:27 PM
1-1, but should be 2-0 Lakers

Which would make them 7-1 in the last 8 games against the Spurs.

Anywho, if a Spurs fan can use the "1-1" regular season series to imply they're on the level of the Lakers, can a Bucks fan use the "0-2" regular season series to imply they're a notch above the Spurs? :D

Ghazi,

Where are you getting that 7-1 stat from?

The Lakers won 2 of 3 in the regular season against the Spurs in the 2006-2007 season and they split 2-2 with the Spurs in last year's regular season. Also, the Lakers won last year's WCF 4-1 and that was the first time they played each other in the playoffs since 2004.

Also, the season series is tied 1-1.

Again, the Lakers are the favorites..but to think the Spurs aren't a legit threat is living in wonderland!!!

MarHill
03-06-2009, 11:29 PM

Allanon,

I could say that about the Lakers game in Boston when Ray Allen was clearly fouled at the end of the game.

But, L.A. got the win...just like the Spurs did?

MarHill
03-06-2009, 11:32 PM

Also, everyone knows that Pop will pull his starters in the 4th quarter of a game if it has gotten out of hand. So, they lost a regular season game in January....Wow!!!:wow

The real test will be in the playoffs when everybody is at full strength for both teams!!

Allanon
03-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Allanon,

I could say that about the Lakers game in Boston when Ray Allen was clearly fouled at the end of the game.

But, L.A. got the win...just like the Spurs did?

I'm not discrediting the Spurs for the win Marhill. I'm just disputing the statement that both teams were full strength in both games.

Aside from that, a win is a win, the Spurs won.

SpursDynasty
03-07-2009, 02:07 AM
No reason to trash talk between Lakers and Spurs fans. The Spurs just won a game they were supposed to win...

Lakers999
03-07-2009, 02:17 AM
the Lakers will sweep the spurs in the playoffs this year.... anyone care to put a wager on this...

I got one....

If Lakers Sweep.... SpursDynasty gets banned for life from this board... If I lose (even one game) but lakers still win I will get banned for life from this board...

or if any "Die Hard" SPurs fans want to take that bet let the mods know so we can make it official

SpursFanFirst
03-07-2009, 08:36 AM
the Lakers will sweep the spurs in the playoffs this year.... anyone care to put a wager on this...

I got one....

If Lakers Sweep.... SpursDynasty gets banned for life from this board... If I lose (even one game) but lakers still win I will get banned for life from this board...

or if any "Die Hard" SPurs fans want to take that bet let the mods know so we can make it official

SDs comments are generally entertaining, so no.
You, on the other hand can leave at any time.

:wow Wow. I'm kind of mean this early on a Saturday morning.

manufor3
03-07-2009, 11:33 AM

you and other laker fans say luke is worthless. be consistant

IronMexican
03-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I dont like all these built in excuses. Lakers should win this game with or without Manu. Back to back or not. Lakers are clearly a much better team than the Spurs, and you can tell by the language the Spurs fans are using these days. I have this strange feeling if Gooden gets healthy, he migh thrive in San Anton. It just seems like it for some reason.

Agreed.

Lakers999
03-07-2009, 02:31 PM
SDs comments are generally entertaining, so no.
You, on the other hand can leave at any time.

:wow Wow. I'm kind of mean this early on a Saturday morning.

No balls?

put your membership to the test

anonoftheinternets
03-07-2009, 02:38 PM
No balls?

put your membership to the test

dude your a moron, its just a forum. you can leave anytime u want.

lefty
03-07-2009, 02:40 PM
If Lakers got Gooden, ESPN.com would have had like 15 pages about it

lefty
03-07-2009, 02:41 PM

You are right about the 1st game; you were missing key players, not to mention it was the 2nd night of B2B games on the road for the Lakers (after a tough win in Houston)

To be fair, in the 2nd game, we didn't do shit

And it looked like Pop and Jackson both went CIA anyway

Muser
03-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Lakers are the better team, but I don't think they're that much better than people make them out to be.

Lakers999
03-07-2009, 06:00 PM
dude your a moron, its just a forum. you can leave anytime u want.

so can you dumbass

sprrs
03-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Lakers Fans are really good at throwing backhanded compliments.

nkdlunch
03-07-2009, 09:12 PM
RC is a pimp

nkdlunch
03-07-2009, 09:12 PM

keep telling yourself that

Spursmania
03-07-2009, 09:17 PM

House, you don't make much sense here..
If you don't respect the Spurs enough to care about regular season games, then how can you say, "I already saw what I needed to see in the last game."

The last game was a regular season game, yet that is the game that you have based your opinion on? I thought you didn't care about regular season games?

I think Laker fans will meet a much tougher Spurs team with or without Bynum and you should never underestimate the heart of a champion. With Manu healthy he is much scarier to LA then Bynum is to us now that we have an additionla big. SO, I on the other hand, will beg to differ with the boredom you seem to espouse on every team except the Lakers. You haven't won a Larry in the last several years, and until you actually do, I wouldn't be so overconfident as you might just jinx your very own beloved Laker team. LOL....:hat

Booharv
03-08-2009, 02:37 AM

Because his contract sucked.

BWS-1994
03-08-2009, 02:54 AM
A decent big at less than $2 million? Any team would've liked that, even if he's only for rent for less than 1 season.

z0sa
03-08-2009, 03:21 PM
bynum < gooden

Banzai
03-08-2009, 05:12 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10063/threadblows.jpg (http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10063/threadblows.jpg)

turiaf for president
03-08-2009, 05:44 PM
bynum < gooden

seriously dood. shut up

Lakers999
03-08-2009, 06:42 PM
bynum < gooden

you are a fucking idiot

mystargtr34
03-08-2009, 09:41 PM
A full strength Lakers team is better than the Spurs, i think thats clear. I think the Spurs chances might rest with the sort of impact Drew Gooden can have, which is kind of scary for a Spurs fan. Having said that, i still think, if everything goes the Spurs way, they can still beat a full strength Laker team, but it would definately be an upset.

Either way, even though the Lakers were the better team last season, and they won 4-1 - i think most rational Laker fans considered it a reasonably close series - closer than a 4-1 margin anyway.

DrHouse
03-08-2009, 10:28 PM
A full strength Lakers team is better than the Spurs, i think thats clear. I think the Spurs chances might rest with the sort of impact Drew Gooden can have, which is kind of scary for a Spurs fan. Having said that, i still think, if everything goes the Spurs way, they can still beat a full strength Laker team, but it would definately be an upset.

Either way, even though the Lakers were the better team last season, and they won 4-1 - i think most rational Laker fans considered it a reasonably close series - closer than a 4-1 margin anyway.

What's this....a reasonable Spur fan? GTFO :)

Last season was a bizarre series mainly due to the fact that the Spurs blew multiple 20 pt leads. I think both teams got better this season, but IMHO if Bynum can come back the Lakers strength won't really be truly seen until playoff time when Phil Jackson goes balls to the wall with the team.

cool hand
03-09-2009, 07:52 AM
:lol I hope this was sarcasm.

Bynum hasn't accomplished shit, he's lazy, and very inconsistent....you guys are drinking bullshit flavored kool-aid.

Rogue
03-09-2009, 08:13 AM
http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp180/killlogan/-1-5.jpg

silk
03-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Manu, Timmyn and Parker, that's three guys who can take over games in play-offs

Aside kobe, i really don't see Pau, bynum or lamar doing that much damages even if they're good

BWS-1994
03-09-2009, 03:22 PM
manu, timmyn and parker, that's three guys who can take over games in play-offs

aside kobe, i really don't see pau, bynum or lamar doing that much damages even if they're good

2008 wcf?

Spursfan092120
03-09-2009, 03:27 PM

unless the Spurs are also at full strength

Spursfan092120
03-09-2009, 03:29 PM
What's this....a reasonable Spur fan? GTFO :)

Last season was a bizarre series mainly due to the fact that the Spurs blew multiple 20 pt leads. I think both teams got better this season, but IMHO if Bynum can come back the Lakers strength won't really be truly seen until playoff time when Phil Jackson goes balls to the wall with the team.
Question though. If Bynum comes back right before the playoffs, does that create a couple of problems? First off, inconsistency from rust..second off, will it create a problem with minutes? Like, taking some players out when the matchup is better, or when they're playing well, to get Bynum in the game? Not being a smartass...just a serious question.

hater
03-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Career Playoff Stats:
Bynum:
ppg 3
rpg 4
FT% 40%
FG% 50%

Gooden:
ppg 11
rpg 9
FT% 79%
FG% 48%

:smokin

nkdlunch
03-09-2009, 03:40 PM
but... but... I thought Bynum was next coming of Wilt Chamberlain :lmao

DrHouse
03-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Question though. If Bynum comes back right before the playoffs, does that create a couple of problems? First off, inconsistency from rust..second off, will it create a problem with minutes? Like, taking some players out when the matchup is better, or when they're playing well, to get Bynum in the game? Not being a smartass...just a serious question.

Absolutely. Very good question. We won't know until it happens.

Ideally Bynum comes back with at least 5-10 regular season games left. I suspect Jackson will insert him back into the starting lineup as he ultimately wants LO to remain on the bench. From there it will have to be a game time decision whether or not you move Bynum to the 2nd unit or keep him where he's at. Phil will probably not ask Bynum to shoulder any of the offensive responsibility and have him focus solely on defense. Bynum will basically be doing what he did for the 1st quarter of the season which was setting picks on offense and hanging around the mid to high post area. Gasol will take the low block.

Either way it's a positive for the Lakers as Bynum is worlds better than any backup C we have.

Spursfan092120
03-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Absolutely. Very good question. We won't know until it happens.

Ideally Bynum comes back with at least 5-10 regular season games left. I suspect Jackson will insert him back into the starting lineup as he ultimately wants LO to remain on the bench. From there it will have to be a game time decision whether or not you move Bynum to the 2nd unit or keep him where he's at. Phil will probably not ask Bynum to shoulder any of the offensive responsibility and have him focus solely on defense. Bynum will basically be doing what he did for the 1st quarter of the season which was setting picks on offense and hanging around the mid to high post area. Gasol will take the low block.

Either way it's a positive for the Lakers as Bynum is worlds better than any backup C we have.
Good observation...appreciate the answer..that's something that was on my mind. I'm hoping Drew has the same positive impact on the Spurs, as I think he's better than any Center we have outside of Timmy.