PDA

View Full Version : Question on Spurs Positions

Nathan Explosion
03-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Okay, time for a serious thread.

Is there really a difference between a PF and C in the Spurs system? Furthermore, is there a difference between the SF and SG position?

When I look at the team, I see a lot of PFs and SGs on the team and they're just spread out over 4 spots on the floor.

sananspursfan21
03-06-2009, 06:29 PM
for the SF and SG question, the two positions are so similar and have many of the same expectations (shooting ability, some speed, minimal ball handling skills, 6'5"-6'9"), most SGs can play SF and vice versa.

As far as the PF to C, the Spurs are simply settling on somebody because they don't really have a true Center. The only true Center type player is Oberto and he's not that great of one either.

answer you?

Nathan Explosion
03-06-2009, 06:34 PM
A bit. However, I was looking more towards the X's and O's of it. In the draw up of plays, does it really make a difference as to where the C and the PF are position, or is a play drawn up to take advantage of the talent on the floor.

For example if Duncan and KT on the floor or Bonner and KT, does that decide who takes what position on offense and defense, weakside or strongside?

EJK5032
03-06-2009, 06:39 PM
In basketball, position monikers (PG, SG, SF, PF, C) are more used to describe a player's personal relative skill set/body type, more so than to indicate what the player's actual job is on the court in the team's offensive or defensive scheme.

iilluzioN
03-06-2009, 06:40 PM
it really depends on the situation and the team your playing against...

sananspursfan21
03-06-2009, 06:46 PM
A bit. However, I was looking more towards the X's and O's of it. In the draw up of plays, does it really make a difference as to where the C and the PF are position, or is a play drawn up to take advantage of the talent on the floor.

For example if Duncan and KT on the floor or Bonner and KT, does that decide who takes what position on offense and defense, weakside or strongside?

well your question was a little deeper than i thought, as answered above, it depends who you're playing against, heck i don't know now, i give up!! :lol

Nathan Explosion
03-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Let's say if Gooden and Thomas are on the floor together. Similar style, similar body type. Who's the 4 and who's the 5.

My guess, flip a coin because it doesn't matter much who plays what. I guess that's the best example of what I'm asking.

EJK5032
03-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Let's say if Gooden and Thomas are on the floor together. Similar style, similar body type. Who's the 4 and who's the 5.

My guess, flip a coin because it doesn't matter much who plays what. I guess that's the best example of what I'm asking.

it's irrelevant.........Gooden is a better post player, so he'll be in the paint more, and Bonner is a better outside shooter, so he'll be around the arc more.

sananspursfan21
03-06-2009, 06:54 PM

oh, depends on who the opponent has on the floor. say the hornets, kurt will probly take the PF cuz of David West. KT is a little more athletic and able to hang with david west a little better. drew gooden would then take C and guard Tyson Chandler or Hilton Armstrong or somebody since he's kind of a paint anchor. Yah, literally, it all depends, it's all about the strategy that coach pop decides to go with. there we go, i thihk that should help!

Nathan Explosion
03-06-2009, 06:56 PM
it's irrelevant.........Gooden is a better post player, so he'll be in the paint more, and Bonner is a better outside shooter, so he'll be around the arc more.

So where does that leave KT in the equation? I think uin the example I used, Bonner would be on the outside, somewhere in the bench area, sitting most likely, probably drinking gatorade.

Nathan Explosion
03-06-2009, 06:58 PM
oh, depends on who the opponent has on the floor. say the hornets, kurt will probly take the PF cuz of David West. KT is a little more athletic and able to hang with david west a little better. drew gooden would then take C and guard Tyson Chandler or Hilton Armstrong or somebody since he's kind of a paint anchor. Yah, literally, it all depends, it's all about the strategy that coach pop decides to go with. there we go, i thihk that should help!

That's what I thought. The position really doesn't matter, only the personnel.

So to wrap it up, it doesn't matter if Duncan is a PF or a C in your opinion. All that matters is who he matches up best with, right?

EJK5032
03-06-2009, 06:59 PM

basketball positions are based on offense, not defensive assignments.

Nathan Explosion
03-06-2009, 07:04 PM
basketball positions are based on offense, not defensive assignments.

Okay then, in my example, offensively Gooden and KT have basically the same skill set. Should there ever be an occasion when both are on the floor together, who gets what position?

I say coin flip. Maybe rock, paper, scissors.

sananspursfan21
03-06-2009, 07:06 PM
rock paper scissors, you got it my man

Nathan Explosion
03-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Bubble gum, bubble gum in a dish.....

Winner gets the PF spot because according to some Shaq nut hugger on Yahoo I believe, that's where all the supposed centers went because they didn't want to play opposite Shaq.

EJK5032
03-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Okay then, in my example, offensively Gooden and KT have basically the same skill set. Should there ever be an occasion when both are on the floor together, who gets what position?

I say coin flip. Maybe rock, paper, scissors.

both those guys are PFs.........in this scenario, I think we will see Gooden more in the paint on offense because he actually has a low post game, while KT will be out on the perimeter instigating pick and rolls, cause he's primarily a spot up shooter. On defense, I think KT would guard the other team's Center or post player....since Gooden is a little more mobile he can guard a little better away from the basket.

how about the fact that we can even have this conversation.......how awesome is it that we now have Gooden !?!?!? :)

Solid D
03-06-2009, 10:30 PM
None of us have the Spurs playbook, but there are some "knowns" about the Spurs' offense. The Spurs do number each position 1-5, but 4s and 5s and 2s and 3s are fairly interchangeable in their basic framework. The basic offense the Spurs run in the flow of the game, particularly after rebounds, uses Post ("Bigs"), Wings and a Playmaker. The first Big down the floor (let's say the 4 for example) sets up in the low post and the trailing post player (the 5 in this example) will either set up high or will sometimes set up on the opposite low post. There are many variables in the basic offense but this is the basic premise.

With that said, there are many, many offenses that the Spurs have in their playbook. Some in which the Post positions are not interchangeable. What play Pop calls outside of their basic offense or early offense depends on what the defense looks like. When the Spurs go small, you may see a 4-out, 1-in motion (a post player on the block and 4 perimeter players). In those situations, Tim Duncan, for example, playing the 5 position sets up inside while someone like Mike Finley may be the next tallest player, plays the 4.

When you see Pop calling plays on the side, you may seem him using hand gestures. When he calls a play calling for an isolation or a screen/roll combination, he will use the positional numbers (example 1, 4 and then rub his hand across his chest = PG and PF screen/roll (rub) and then the action desired.

By the way, you can tell who is playing the 4 for the Spurs by watching who inbounds the ball after a made basket. That normally is the 4.

DAF86
03-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Okay, time for a serious thread.

Is there really a difference between a PF and C in the Spurs system? Furthermore, is there a difference between the SF and SG position?

When I look at the team, I see a lot of PFs and SGs on the team and they're just spread out over 4 spots on the floor.

There's a huge difference between a PF and C in the Spurs system. The center (Tim Duncan) is 99% of the times playing in the low post or near the paint area while the power forward (Matt Bonner) is 99% of the time floating around the three point land.

Solid D
03-06-2009, 10:42 PM
There's a huge difference between a PF and C in the Spurs system. The center (Tim Duncan) is 99% of the times playing in the low post or near the paint area while the power forward (Matt Bonner) is 99% of the time floating around the three point land.

Not true.

DAF86
03-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Not true.

Why?

Solid D
03-06-2009, 10:47 PM
If Tim trails the play, he may set up high in the motion offense. There are many variables. It just depends on time, score and defense.

DAF86
03-06-2009, 10:52 PM
If Tim trails the play, he may set up high in the motion offense. There are many variables. It just depends on time, score and defense.

That's why I said 99% of the times, you don't like the number? well make it 70, 80% but if Tim is playing well and we need a basket don't you have a doubt: they'll wait for him. And you will never and I mean never see a low post play called for Bonner.

Solid D
03-06-2009, 10:52 PM
As I said before, sometimes it's as simple a reason as who rebounded the basketball as to which Big sets up low or high to start their progression.

Solid D
03-06-2009, 11:54 PM
In case you are still not seeing it, DAF, in crunch time, you frequently see Tim set up high for middle and side screen/rolls for Parker or Manu. They often run Timmy high trip after trip after trip.

Solid D
03-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Spurs run a 4 down system
Not exactly. 4-down is a play Pop calls for Timmy to post down on the low block. It's one play, albeit oft-used, but it's not a system.