PDA

View Full Version : Tim's 5th Ring Or Kobe's First Without Him?

Thomas82
03-07-2009, 12:33 PM
I was looking at an old thread last night about Shaq, and how he said he would be pissed if TD got his 5th ring before him and how he, not TD is the most accomplished big man/player of the post-Jordan era. And with us playing the Suns tomorrow, this thread title just popped into my head. If I had one question that I could ask Shaq, I would ask him:

"Which would be the lesser of 2 evils for you, Tim Duncan getting his 5th ring before you or Kobe Bryant getting his 1st without you?"

thispego
03-07-2009, 12:41 PM
shaq who?

rayray2k8
03-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Without duncan?
Tim use to be with the lakers??

BOHOLANO#21
03-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Without duncan?
are you an idiot? read between the line_ the question is directed to shaq, moron.:flag:

Ghazi
03-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Shaq thinks he has 4 rings, but he only has 3.

Thomas82
03-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Without duncan?

If I had one question that I could ask Shaq, I would ask him:

"Which would be the lesser of 2 evils for you, Tim Duncan getting his 5th ring before you or Kobe Bryant getting his 1st without you?"

exstatic
03-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Shaq wound up being about 85% of the player he should have been. A lot of you kids don't remember what a frightening combination of quickness and size he had in his peak years. He never took care of himself or really worked in the offseason, though. He also really only rebounded to his capabilities his first two seasons, and his first two season's under Phil Jackson. The rest of the time he coasted, averaging between 10 and 11 boards per game. His lack of conditioning is also starting to tell at the end of his career in his lack of stamina and the inability to avoid injuries. He's been gently sliding for about 6 years, and really sliding badly for 3.

Lakers999
03-07-2009, 02:38 PM
i think its safe to say that kobe and the lakers have a better chance at getting the title than the spurs winning their fifth... the lakers have better depth and they are quicker offensively and improving defensively... unless gasol, Odom or Kobe goes down with a massive injury the spurs will most likely be fishing this year

Thomas82
03-07-2009, 02:41 PM
i think its safe to say that kobe and the lakers have a better chance at getting the title than the spurs winning their fifth... the lakers have better depth and they are quicker offensively and improving defensively... unless gasol, Odom or Kobe goes down with a massive injury the spurs will most likely be fishing this year

Nobody has really given the Spurs much of a chance in any of the years they won the title.

lefty
03-07-2009, 02:43 PM

Wow, we found the crystal ball !!!! :wow:wow:wow:wow

DrHouse
03-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Nobody has really given the Spurs much of a chance in any of the years they won the title.

Good point.

But none of those championship Spur teams were as bad as this current one is defensively. And since when did media pundits ever get anything correct?

duncan228
03-07-2009, 02:46 PM
There's a reason they play the games. Anything can happen.

Thomas82
03-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Good point.

But none of those championship Spur teams were as bad as this current one is defensively. And since when did media pundits ever get anything correct?

I believe if Drew Gooden can hold up, that would make our defense better. Our main problem on defense was/is lack of a 2nd interior defender.

Thomas82
03-07-2009, 02:47 PM
There's a reason they play the games. Anything can happen.

You got that right.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-07-2009, 02:49 PM
He'd definitely rather see Kobe get one without him, he knows most people consider him the MVP of the 2000-2002 Lakers, but if Duncan wins another ring as the best player on his team (which would put him at 5 compared to Shaq's 3 since Shaq was D-Wade's sidekick in 2006) he knows everyone would consider Duncan's career the better one.

With that said, you can bet he's gonna bleed Celtic green once the playoffs start.

lefty
03-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Good point.

I think the reason our D has been shitty this year is the fact that Bruce Bowen hasn't played a lot of minutes; also, Manu has missed a lot of games; I could be wrong, as I haven't checked detailed statistics to confirm that.

Also, Duncan has been more intense on O than on D so far; I expect him to pick things up in the playoffs

kace
03-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Shaq wound up being about 85% of the player he should have been. A lot of you kids don't remember what a frightening combination of quickness and size he had in his peak years. He never took care of himself or really worked in the offseason, though. He also really only rebounded to his capabilities his first two seasons, and his first two season's under Phil Jackson. The rest of the time he coasted, averaging between 10 and 11 boards per game. His lack of conditioning is also starting to tell at the end of his career in his lack of stamina and the inability to avoid injuries. He's been gently sliding for about 6 years, and really sliding badly for 3.

i agree for most part but i don't think we could talk about "sliding badly" for this year. Shaq is averaging 18.2 and 8.8 in only 30 minutes and shooting at more than 60 %.
He could easily average 25 ppg at more than 50 % and almost 10 if he had a little more touches and playing time.

Thomas82
03-07-2009, 03:09 PM
He'd definitely rather see Kobe get one without him, he knows most people consider him the MVP of the 2000-2002 Lakers, but if Duncan wins another ring as the best player on his team (which would put him at 5 compared to Shaq's 3 since Shaq was D-Wade's sidekick in 2006) he knows everyone would consider Duncan's career the better one.

With that said, you can bet he's gonna bleed Celtic green once the playoffs start.

Good post!! I guess I should have clarified that I was interested in everybody's opinion. Oh, and it's obvious that Tim Duncan's career is the better one.

MANUUU
03-07-2009, 03:16 PM
duncan stayed true to his team. end of discussion.

Thomas82
03-07-2009, 03:55 PM
duncan stayed true to his team. end of discussion.

That's right, enough said. It's rare these days for a superstar athlete to stay with one team for his whole career.

TDMVPDPOY
03-07-2009, 04:17 PM
if kobe gets his first ring, alot of his homerfans will come out claimin him>jordan...we cant have that....

if shaq wins? fck i hate his humor....

duncan should get 5 and fuck the rest whoever wants to win

sananspursfan21
03-07-2009, 04:29 PM
shaq who?

either shaquille johnson, shaquille smith, or shaquille oneal. they shoulda clarified huh?

Thomas82
03-07-2009, 04:43 PM
if kobe gets his first ring, alot of his homerfans will come out claimin him>jordan...we cant have that....

if shaq wins? fck i hate his humor....

duncan should get 5 and fuck the rest whoever wants to win

That's the best possible option.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-07-2009, 04:46 PM
It's not like Shaq is trying to hide the fact he wants to end it with more rings than Timmy, he's openly said he wants to do whatever he can to ensure he gets his 5th before Duncan does.

Thomas82
03-07-2009, 05:52 PM
It's not like Shaq is trying to hide the fact he wants to end it with more rings than Timmy, he's openly said he wants to do whatever he can to ensure he gets his 5th before Duncan does.

So far, the odds are against him doing it this year.

BUMP
03-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Spurs have 4 rings?

Austin_Toros
03-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Sometimes Shaq needs to keep his mouth shut. People don't need to hear every stupid thing he thinks.

Thomas82
03-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Spurs have 4 rings?

Yes- 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007

HiLouis!
03-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Sometimes Shaq needs to keep his mouth shut. People don't need to hear every stupid thing he thinks.

speaking of stupid things you think, check ya sig.:toast

mavs>spurs2
03-07-2009, 06:39 PM
You're all wrong. Shaq's daughter will miraculously come up with testicle cancer, and as the best doctors are in LA, Stern will be forced to immediately approve a DJ Mbenga for Shaq trade.

quentin_compson
03-07-2009, 09:22 PM

He's on the wrong team then, isn't he? :p:
I agree that Shaq could have been much more dominant than he was even in his prime. But there's the difference between Shaq and Timmy: Timmy works out in the offseason, throwing bulldozers and sky scrapers and what not, while Shaq seems more busy with getting traded or telling people how great he is and that Dwight Howard or whoever never will be as good as he is.

To the question the OP proposed: I guess it both will happen. Timmy and the Spurs are good enough to get another Championship, and Kobe will get one with the current Lakers sooner or later. Shaq, however, never will win anything meaningful again.

Allanon
03-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Best case scenario is for Shaq to keep saying the right things about Kobe/Phil & the Lakers. Then come back to the Lakers in 2 seasons and help Kobe win his 6th ring.

It's a win-win for everybody. Shaq plays 2-3 years, gets his 5 or 6 rings and retires a Laker and maybe 3rd all time scorer ahead of MJ.

:lol

Kobe™
03-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Shaq is praying Kobe doesnt win another title. Look at his reaction to Kobe not winning last season. Im just glad his fat ass wont be back in LA. I dont care how much ass kissing he does, his jersey wont hang in Staples.

Thomas82
03-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Best case scenario is for Shaq to keep saying the right things about Kobe/Phil & the Lakers. Then come back to the Lakers in 2 seasons and help Kobe win his 6th ring.

It's a win-win for everybody. Shaq plays 2-3 years, gets his 5 or 6 rings and retires a Laker and maybe 3rd all time scorer ahead of MJ.

Nope, can't see this happening.