PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: The Survivor Of Shaq’s Hate Tour — Not An Actor

duncan228
03-08-2009, 02:28 AM
The survivor of Shaq’s hate tour — not an actor (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/The_survivor_of_Shaqs_hate_tour__not_an_actor.html )
Buck Harvey

Sitting in the second row, among average-sized humans, David Robinson always stands out. But he will look even bigger this afternoon, assuming he uses his tickets and doesn’t give them to friends or family.

He’s heading to the Hall of Fame, a post-career portrait of maturity and peace.

And there, on the court, will be his opposite.

His former nemesis.

Shaquille O’Neal might read this and feel the need to say something today. Years ago, before Shaq spread jeer around the country, he took on Robinson.

Born of some contrived high school scene, where he thought Robinson had “dogged” him, Shaq held up Robinson as his personal adversary. His name-calling even found its way into a Shaq book.

Then, he called him “Punk-ass David.”

Robinson should be honored to be the first. From there Shaq branched out to a crowd that included Penny Hardaway, the Sacramento Kings, Kobe Bryant, Phil Jackson, the Heat medical staff, Pat Riley and anyone who has ever tried to take a charge.

As his game picked up the past month, so did his mouth. He’s gone after Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard and Stan Van Gundy.

Give Shaq credit for some humor (he called Bosh “the RuPaul of centers”). And give Shaq credit for the name he gave for a schedule that lined up his old teams, from the Lakers to the Magic to the Heat. He playfully called it “The Hate Shaq Tour.”

That’s the salesman in Shaq. He used to say the NBA stood for “Nothing But Actors,” and he sold with a pro-wrestling edge. When he donned a mask to dance in Phoenix before the All-Star Game, then mugged with Bryant afterward as the co-MVPs, his sense of marketing and entertainment was never better.

Shaq can be fun to be around, and his serious face often hides the joke. That was never clearer than on opening night this season. Then Gregg Popovich called out Shaq’s tough talk about the use of Hack-a-Shaq by intentionally fouling him on the tip.

This should be said, too: He’s certainly not a bad guy, and his vices are innocent ones.

Still, what Shaq says and how he reacts is more than an inside joke. He can be petty, and he can be insecure, and all of this has been on display this month. Call it, instead, the “Shaq Hates Tour.”

His back and forth with Van Gundy is deeper than some flop charge. Shaq wanted Riley to coach in Miami instead of Van Gundy, and Shaq made sure it happened.

Shaq’s critique of Howard (“I can’t be impressed by something I invented”) is less serious. But Shaq also views Howard as he did Robinson, albeit with one change.

Whereas Shaq sees Howard as a threat because he has replaced his legend in Orlando, he saw Robinson as someone he couldn’t replace in San Antonio. Shaq felt he was the next big thing, yet there was Robinson, bigger than a teenager could ever be.

This bothered Shaq, and it went further than a few quotes. Then, during games, Shaq said things to Robinson that aren’t repeatable.

Spurs teammates then wished Robinson had said something, anything. Robinson didn’t. That can be an admirable trait, but not among a group of men playing a boy’s game. There were times Robinson suffered in his own locker room for playing the way he lived.

Reacting with a snarl might have impressed someone. But ask Bosh or Van Gundy or Howard. Did reacting to Shaq’s taunts help?

Instead, Robinson responded by retaining his dignity. He also responded by beating Shaq on his way to a title in his final season.

Shaq took that loss well. Then, after Game 6 in their 2003 series, Shaq reached out to Robinson, pulling him close for a congratulatory hug.

Maybe Shaq figures he can eventually do that to everyone he has offended. But not all relationships can be repaired, and Riley, for one, thinks Shaq soured what was a special time for both of them in Miami.

No matter. Shaq roars on with the Suns, at least before he turns on Alvin Gentry and Steve Nash. “I demand respect,” Shaq says.

Sitting in the second row today, looking like an adult, is someone who never had to demand respect to get it.

lefty
03-08-2009, 02:47 AM
:tu

m33p0
03-08-2009, 03:03 AM
The Big Mouth.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1331/3336769155_9570fe9c74_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1183/3336769163_601d09297c_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1357/3336769167_718cf09f40_o.jpg

GSH
03-08-2009, 03:21 AM
Shaq also pissed on Dikembe Mutombo, and accused him of "flopping and crying". Shaq elbowed Deke in the mouth (Mutombo had to get stitches inside his mouth), but Shaq got sent to the free throw line. And Mutombo had the audacity to complain about it. Go figure.

http://quicktime.cnnsi.com/basketball/nba/2001/playoffs/news/2001/06/11/shaq_lakers_ap/

He's gotten by with shit his whole career. But it's the league's fault, not his. Shaq makes for good ratings. So he gets to play football. The things that make him effective shouldn't factor in so much on a basketball court.

jayc23
03-08-2009, 03:33 AM
what a classless disgrace .. so sad that such gifted people can squander their legacy

SAtown
03-08-2009, 04:01 AM
He's gotten by with shit his whole career. But it's the league's fault, not his. Shaq makes for good ratings. So he gets to play football. The things that make him effective shouldn't factor in so much on a basketball court.

I'm pretty sure striking someone in the face in football gets you a 15 yard penalty and/or ejection.

50Bestspurever
03-08-2009, 04:18 AM
Shaq is just a big kid who loves wrestling. The hate that is being generated is exactly what he wants. I think it's stupid and a total waste of time but the big idiot loves it.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2009, 04:22 AM
well its keeping the journalists in the jobs right?

raspsa
03-08-2009, 04:51 AM
I really think Shaq is going to be around long after he should have retired. His ego craves the attention and the media are only too happy to cooperate. So we can all look forward to even more controversies and outrageous behavior in the years to come.

Fpoonsie
03-08-2009, 05:00 AM
Great read. Thanks, 228.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2009, 05:20 AM
I really think Shaq is going to be around long after he should have retired. His ego craves the attention and the media are only too happy to cooperate. So we can all look forward to even more controversies and outrageous behavior in the years to come.

Cant wait for his auto biography....not that ima buy it :D

Spursmania
03-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for all the morning reads today Duncan228. It's always nice to read them here and I'm sure it takes some time.:toast

We'll see the Diesel and his big mouth on display today.

Horse
03-08-2009, 09:37 AM
He's a big fat piece of shit always has been. My favorite memory is the Spurs beating down shaq's magic on shaq's birthday, And big Dave had like 36.

gospursgojas
03-08-2009, 09:46 AM
has shaq scored outside of 5 feet?

ever?

In his career?

I guess one of those travesites he calls free throws are from 15. Does that count?

exstatic
03-08-2009, 09:57 AM
I really think Shaq is going to be around long after he should have retired.

Already there.

smackdaddy11
03-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact quote so I'm paraphrasing:

When asked if he had seen Shaq's book, David said:

'Is it a picture book?'

:p:

SenorSpur
03-08-2009, 10:02 AM
F Shaq. He's a first class douche', who has left a trail of scorched earth everywhere he's been. Nothing is ever his fault. Nothing is ever his responsibility. He can't take constructive criticism. Instead, he makes all sorts of incendiary remarks and expects to them to simply wash away because he smiles and acts as though they were never said in the first place.

The media loves him because he's a quote machine. Personally. I don't think he's funny, clever, or smart. To me, he's an oversized class clown with a cartoon mind. Always jealous of someone who has prettier marbles than he does. Like any bully, if you stand up to him, he usually backs down. For him to manufacture petty jealously against a class act like Robinson tells you all you need to know about him.

I truly believe he is the most insecure great athlete this side of A-Fraud. He WILL eventually turn on the Gentry, Kerr and the rest of the Suns organization. He's now become a frontrunning bandwagonner, simply chasing another title, just to get bet bragging rights over Duncan.

It will be a good day for me when his fat ass is no longer in the league.

Man of Steel
03-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Like previously said--the worst part about Shaq is the way the league has coddled him. He is able to get away with murder on the court. Also, the force he uses in backing into players on his way to the basket has to be a foul somehow. He literally pushes players out of the way with his fat ass with a force that is more of a football play than a basketball one.

But--that is the league.

SenorSpur
03-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if is fat ass hangs on another 3-4 years and bounces to another 2-3 teams in the meantime.

Summers
03-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Damn Buck Harvey. I like the article.

ambchang
03-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Bill Walton.
Sean Eliott
Alonzo Mourning
Patrick Ewing
Chris Quinn
Steve Nash (before he got on the Suns)

Those were just the few off the top of my head.

poop
03-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Like previously said--the worst part about Shaq is the way the league has coddled him. He is able to get away with murder on the court. Also, the force he uses in backing into players on his way to the basket has to be a foul somehow. He literally pushes players out of the way with his fat ass with a force that is more of a football play than a basketball one.

But--that is the league.

exactly, he has made a career out of being huge. hes an anomoly, a guy who is freakishly large but still mobile. he whole game is basically a cheap tactic...technically hes not doing anything against the rules-its just that hes so unique that the game wasnt really meant to account for a monster like him.

he has extremely limited basketball skills. period. he is not talented. he is 'gifted' only in how his body grew. in fact, it is remarkable that someones whos entire life has been dedicated to bb still cannot shoot at all. he is the equivalent of someone's dad playing on his daughter's middle school bb team. hes going to get huge numbers, but it doesnt mean hes a 'great player', it just means hes huge.

TampaDude
03-08-2009, 02:23 PM
he has extremely limited basketball skills. period. he is not talented. he is 'gifted' only in how his body grew. in fact, it is remarkable that someones whos entire life has been dedicated to bb still cannot shoot at all. he is the equivalent of someone's dad playing on his daughter's middle school bb team. hes going to get huge numbers, but it doesnt mean hes a 'great player', it just means hes huge.

...and yet, Kobe can't win a title without him... :lmao

GSH
03-08-2009, 05:29 PM
The Big Ass ripped down 5 boards against the Spurs today. He needs to demand respect off the floor.