PDA

View Full Version : Jon Barry, ESPN: Are The Best Years Behind The Suns And Spurs?

duncan228
03-08-2009, 03:48 AM
Are The Best Years Behind The Suns And Spurs? (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=sundaydime-090308)
By Jon Barry
ESPN.com

The news on Amare Stoudemire this week was devastating for the Phoenix Suns. Had he been healthy, I think, they would have made the playoffs with relative ease. He is so important to that team. He's a guy who can put up 25 points and 10 rebounds a night without question, and they don't have the personnel to survive his season-ending injury.

Shaquille O'Neal has done what he can do to make up the difference this season, but they just don't have enough, really. I said a few days back that this week's four-game road trip would probably eliminate them. Even a win against the Spurs won't do much for their confidence. They had a great win against the Lakers on March 1 and couldn't really build off that, so I just don't see it for them this season. They added Stromile Swift to their roster recently but I don't think he'll make much of a difference.

The Spurs are a whole different story. I think Drew Gooden could turn out to be one of the bigger late-season acquisitions in the league. He fits their system perfectly. He's a guy who can stretch the defense out to about 20 feet, since he's a quality shooter from that range. He can rebound the basketball, and he can defend, too. Matt Bonner stepped in and did a great job at that 4 spot for them, but he can't rebound or defend the way Gooden can. It wouldn't surprise me to see Gooden starting soon, but either way, they've strengthened their rotation in a major way.

Next season doesn't look a lot brighter for the Suns. I think their best basketball for this current nucleus of players may be behind them. If Shaq were able to duplicate his play from this season, I'd be really surprised. Steve Nash certainly hasn't had the impact he once had. I don't think much of a window is left for them, and with their salaries, they don't appear to have much maneuverability, either. Unless they can move Shaq, who is on the books for $21 million, I don't know who they'll be able to add to improve themselves.

I would say that the Spurs also have probably peaked as a unit with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, but they still are in much better shape than Phoenix. While they may have fallen off a bit, their best could still be enough to win an NBA title.

I've sensed somewhat of a change in their style. This used to be a lockdown defensive team. You'd see a lot of games with scores in the 80s. They would slow the tempo and be very hard to score against.

Now they are looking a little more like an up-tempo team. I think Gregg Popovich realizes that the goal for everyone in the Western Conference has to be to beat the Lakers. The only way the Spurs will do that is by improving their offense. I think that's why there were serious talks about bringing Vince Carter to San Antonio. I really think that was close to happening. They wanted to get more athletic and offensive. Ultimately, that's why they ended up with Gooden.

They haven't stopped playing defense, but if you look at the numbers, they are nowhere near what they have been in the past decade. The style they are playing now is easier on them physically as well.

All that being said, I can't see them beating L.A. in a playoff series. I know Ginobili was hurt when the Lakers beat them in five games in last season's Western Conference finals, but they just seemed to run circles around the Spurs. Even without Andrew Bynum, the Lakers are better, and I'd have to take them again in the West this season.

duncan228
03-08-2009, 03:49 AM
A couple of other pieces from the Sunday Dime.

Adding Firepower For The Stretch Run (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=sundaydime-090308)
By John Hollinger | ESPN.com

SPURS: DREW GOODEN

One big reason to think Drew Gooden can make an impact in San Antonio is how poorly the Spurs' frontcourt reserves have played. Fabricio Oberto, in particular, might have hit the wall at age 33. He has a 10.59 player efficiency rating despite shooting 59.1 percent from the floor, which is a nice way of saying that he creates plays so rarely that even playing efficiently can't save him. And 36-year-old Kurt Thomas has been adequate for a backup at the offensive end but too often has been a step slow on D -- particularly when he's asked to help on the perimeter instead of defending the block.

Gooden, for all his faults, has been consistently productive as a scorer and rebounder and is quick enough to handle switching against guards on the perimeter. I don't think this move makes the Lakers quake in their boots, but it'll unquestionably make San Antonio a tougher out in the playoffs.

SUNS: STROMILE SWIFT

Don't overlook the addition of Stromile Swift to the Phoenix Suns. Swift is a good athlete who has struggled with some of the mental aspects of the game, but this is exactly the situation he needs. All the Suns want him to do is run the floor and dunk in transition, and that's exactly what he was put on this Earth to do. Phoenix had great success several years ago with a similar player, Steven Hunter. The Suns kept it simple and let him feast off feeds from Steve Nash, and everybody was happy.

I'm not saying he'll be a game-changer, but if the Suns keep playing up-tempo as they've been doing since Alvin Gentry took over as coach, Swift can be a very productive reserve. His numbers from the three seasons before this one were very solid (17 points and nine boards per 40 minutes while shooting in the high 40s), and those were in half-court systems that didn't play to his strengths. He won't defend much, and his bad hands will bungle some easy buckets, but the run-and-gun Suns just got even faster with this move.

duncan228
03-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Shaq Aging Beautifully (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=sundaydime-090308)
By Eric Neel
ESPN The Magazine

Shaquille O'Neal turned 37 on Friday, a fact that raises at least two important questions: One, if you're Stan Van Gundy, what sort of gift do you send the Diesel now? And two, if you're an NBA fan, what sort of gift does the big fella have in store for you?

After missing 84 games the previous three seasons, Shaq has played in 55 of Phoenix's 62 games this season, thanks in large part to the wizardry of Suns trainer Aaron Nelson. Shaq played just 28 games with the Suns after getting traded by Miami late last season and never really clicked. But two-thirds of the way through his first full season with Phoenix, he's had the chance to develop a consistent rhythm and rapport with his teammates. As it turns out, a healthy, happy Shaq -- even with 17 years' worth of wear on the tires -- still can ball.

In fact, there have been only three seasons by centers 36 or older that compare to the one Shaq is putting together. In 1999, Hakeem Olajuwon posted a player efficiency rating of 23.1 (but played only 50 games because of injury). And Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, at ages 36 and 37, (while missing only five regular-season games combined) put up PERs of 21.3 and 22.9. Leading up to Friday night, O'Neal's PER stands at 22.6, which isn't just third all-time for a center his age -- it's 11th among all players in the league right now.

Chieflion
03-08-2009, 04:25 AM
Jon Barry is neither wrong nor correct.

lefty
03-08-2009, 04:27 AM
Is he bitter that we didn't resign his brother

Chieflion
03-08-2009, 04:28 AM

Which one?

whottt
03-08-2009, 04:36 AM
Jon Barry insults the Spurs by acting like the Suns and Spurs are equivalent in any way.

It's almost a certainty that the Spurs best years are behind them...the years behind them produced 4 championships. I doubt we'll be winning another 4 any time soon. Even if we repeat this year and next the Spurs best years will still be behind them right now. It would take 5 championships in the immediate future for their best years to be ahead of them.

The Suns OTOH have done squat....it's not going to take much for their best years to be ahead of them...a single finals appearance would do it...or it would at least tie their best years.

Jon is the Barry that needs to shut his hole.

InK
03-08-2009, 04:39 AM

:sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep

whottt
03-08-2009, 04:47 AM
All that being said, I can't see them beating L.A. in a playoff series. I know Ginobili was hurt when the Lakers beat them in five games in last season's Western Conference finals, but they just seemed to run circles around the Spurs. Even without Andrew Bynum, the Lakers are better, and I'd have to take them again in the West this season.

He evidentally is unaware of the brutal 7 game series with the Hornets in which the Spurs expended a ton of energy attempting to contain the royal pain in the ass known as Chris Paul. That series took a lot out of them while the Lakers were plenty rested...and let's not forget the refs swallowed their whistles on a pivotal play.

The Spurs lost that series because

1. Manu wasn't Manu.
2. A young, feisty and confident Hornets team beat the crap out of them and took them to the limit.
3. Everyone and their mother knows the league wanted a Celtics Lakers Final...and it's just a little too convenient that they actually got one coming off a few years of poor ratings.
4. The Lakers were younger and more athletic.

In that order.

Now the problem with them is that they are actually more experienced 1-15, while still younger, and they know they can beat the Spurs.

lefty
03-08-2009, 04:50 AM
:sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep

Another useless post from you :lmao

m33p0
03-08-2009, 07:16 AM
i was waiting to see where he would bash the Spurs... and there it is right at the end. Jon Barry, you never fail.

The_Game
03-08-2009, 08:07 AM
He evidentally is unaware of the brutal 7 game series with the Hornets in which the Spurs expended a ton of energy attempting to contain the royal pain in the ass known as Chris Paul. That series took a lot out of them while the Lakers were plenty rested...and let's not forget the refs swallowed their whistles on a pivotal play.

1. Manu wasn't Manu.
2. A young, feisty and confident Hornets team beat the crap out of them and took them to the limit.
3. Everyone and their mother knows the league wanted a Celtics Lakers Final...and it's just a little too convenient that they actually got one coming off a few years of poor ratings.

In that order.

Now the problem with them is that they are actually more experienced 1-15, while still younger, and they know they can beat the Spurs.

If the Spurs were that great we wouldn't of struggled to beat that Hornets team. You simply can't use that as an excuse.

Danny.Zhu
03-08-2009, 08:09 AM

1. Manu wasn't Manu.

In that order.

Totally agree.

There're also another two factors:
a. Bynum is back.
b. Gasol know Lakers' system better as in his second season with the Lakers.

whottt
03-08-2009, 08:44 AM
If the Spurs were that great we wouldn't of struggled to beat that Hornets team. You simply can't use that as an excuse.

Dude...Chris Paul was pretty amazing in that series and West wasn't missing many shots. It's not that the Spurs sucked or were mediocre...it's that the Hornets were that good. Take a look at what Chris Paul does night in and night out and it's easy to see that it's no fluke what he did in that series. He's a fantastic player and is going to be in the Hall of Fame as a top 5 PG all time someday...

So I definitely think the Hornets had something to do with it...and that's not even taking into account the plance incident.

urunobili
03-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Jon Barry is an all time Spurs hater/envious douche... couldn't care less about what he says/writes...

as whottt said he is disrespecting the Spurs by putting them next to the Suns...

Spursmania
03-08-2009, 09:18 AM
I agree with Whott. I really believe spending the night in an airplane tarmac before facing the Lakers after a brutal series and Manu not being 100%, and all the rest of the factors including the no whistle blow, were a big part of the Spurs' loss. Of course, this is the NBA shit happens and you still have to play and win.

That is exactly why I think Jon Barry is wrong. We can beat the Lakers because anything can happen. If we are healthy, we are a damn good basketball team. And, this time we may get the whistles. :wakeup

Kindergarten Cop
03-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Jon Barry insults the Spurs by acting like the Suns and Spurs are equivalent in any way.

It's almost a certainty that the Spurs best years are behind them...the years behind them produced 4 championships. I doubt we'll be winning another 4 any time soon. Even if we repeat this year and next the Spurs best years will still be behind them right now. It would take 5 championships in the immediate future for their best years to be ahead of them.

The Suns OTOH have done squat....it's not going to take much for their best years to be ahead of them...a single finals appearance would do it...or it would at least tie their best years.

I agree with Whott.

I believe that reasoning behind Barry comparing the two teams is due to them facing off this afternoon - not necessarily because he believes them to be similar teams.

I was actually pleasantly surprised that Barry didn't take more shots at the Spurs, because it is obvious that he dislikes them a great deal and has been known to go overboard with his critiques and observations. I'd have to say that this piece here was actually very reasonable and I agree with most of it. Perhaps Jon was out late last night and forgot to turn his piece in and had to have someone else write this for him.:hat

Horse
03-08-2009, 09:27 AM
That was and is a very good very young hornets team and without Ginobili it all feel apart. I would argure that last years hornets very well could've beaten the lakers.
:flag:

Horse
03-08-2009, 09:28 AM
I agree with Whott. I really believe spending the night in an airplane tarmac before facing the Lakers after a brutal series and Manu not being 100%, and all the rest of the factors including the no whistle blow, were a big part of the Spurs' loss. Of course, this is the NBA shit happens and you still have to play and win.

That is exactly why I think Jon Barry is wrong. We can beat the Lakers because anything can happen. If we are healthy, we are a damn good basketball team. And, this time we may get the whistles. :wakeup
Right on! Fuck jon barry!

SenorSpur
03-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Jon Barry is neither wrong nor correct.

.....he's simply irrelevant... just like his playing career. :lol

Spursmania
03-08-2009, 09:43 AM
.....he's simply irrelevant... just like his playing career. :lol

That's good...:lol

CubanMustGo
03-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Jon Barry is an all time Spurs hater/envious douche... couldn't care less about what he says/writes...

as whottt said he is disrespecting the Spurs by putting them next to the Suns...

+1. The dude has NEVER said anything positive about SA that I can remember.

Old School 44
03-08-2009, 10:41 AM
When I saw the title of the Barry article I thought how can he even compare the futures of the Suns and the Spurs. There's just no comparison.

The article he should have wrote is "Two Teams Going In Different Directions"
or "Are the Best Years Behind the Suns and the Mavs?".
Jon Barry does not like the Spurs. At first, when Brent played here, I thought he was overcompensating to show his employer he could be unbiased, but as time went on I realized he's just a Spurs hater.

Flux451
03-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Jon Barry has always hated on the Spurs. Even when they were #1. Even when he is complimenting it sounds like he is belittling.

Plus, the dude sucks as a analysists.

I am taking an unbiased approach here.

ANyone else noticed this?

balli
03-08-2009, 11:48 AM
ANyone else noticed this?
Yes.

LionZion
03-08-2009, 11:49 AM

:toast :flag:

NFGIII
03-08-2009, 11:53 AM
It's Jon Barry so what do you expect? He has pretty much underrated the Spurs for as long as I can remember. He gets on the bandwagon only after the fact.
He never gives the Spurs the props they deserve.

MateoNeygro
03-08-2009, 12:04 PM
This just in the Suns suck. Thanks Jon Berry, your insights are very thought provoking and valid.

Indazone
03-08-2009, 12:15 PM

Jon Barry is a Rocket, he's the one alone with his father Rick who convinced Brent to come to Houston.

Indazone
03-08-2009, 12:18 PM
And yes, Jon is a bit of a homer. That's why I prefer guys like Marv Albert even though he's a douche for his personal life.

peskypesky
03-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Jon Barry is a cock. Has been. Always will be.

balli
03-08-2009, 12:25 PM
I always liked Barry as a player, especially after that game a few years back where he jumped into the stands and pretended to take a swig from a beer cup. It's a shame that he ended up being such a db on tv.

ploto
03-08-2009, 12:43 PM
With the injuries yet again to Manu and the peristent problem with Duncan's knee, I think the best years of those two are behind them- and hence the Spurs, as well. Does not mean the Spurs will not continue to be very good, they just won't be as good as they have been.

rayray2k8
03-08-2009, 12:47 PM
He's just pissed because the spurs booted his brother...
Damn cry baby.

TampaDude
03-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Hey Jon...suck it...suck it long, and suck it hard...

:lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt:

'nuff said! :flag:

The_Game
03-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Hey Jon...suck it...suck it long, and suck it hard...

:lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt:

'nuff said! :flag:

Stop acting like a little girl

nothing barry said was wrong....he even stated spurs still have a great chance to win it all.

Rummpd
03-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Jon Barry is no rocket scientist and overvalues Amare in particular. The Suns appear to be if anything better without him as they play defense better.

As for the Spurs, if all three stars healthy his assertation that the Spurs cannot beat the LAL in a series is totally inane.

TampaDude
03-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Stop acting like a little girl

nothing barry said was wrong....he even stated spurs still have a great chance to win it all.

Bite me...it's not just about that one article...

Duncan2177
03-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Jon Barry is a idiot.

Galileo
03-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Are The Best Years Behind The Suns And Spurs? (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=sundaydime-090308)
By Jon Barry
ESPN.com

The news on Amare Stoudemire this week was devastating for the Phoenix Suns. Had he been healthy, I think, they would have made the playoffs with relative ease. He is so important to that team. He's a guy who can put up 25 points and 10 rebounds a night without question, and they don't have the personnel to survive his season-ending injury.

Shaquille O'Neal has done what he can do to make up the difference this season, but they just don't have enough, really. I said a few days back that this week's four-game road trip would probably eliminate them. Even a win against the Spurs won't do much for their confidence. They had a great win against the Lakers on March 1 and couldn't really build off that, so I just don't see it for them this season. They added Stromile Swift to their roster recently but I don't think he'll make much of a difference.

The Spurs are a whole different story. I think Drew Gooden could turn out to be one of the bigger late-season acquisitions in the league. He fits their system perfectly. He's a guy who can stretch the defense out to about 20 feet, since he's a quality shooter from that range. He can rebound the basketball, and he can defend, too. Matt Bonner stepped in and did a great job at that 4 spot for them, but he can't rebound or defend the way Gooden can. It wouldn't surprise me to see Gooden starting soon, but either way, they've strengthened their rotation in a major way.

Next season doesn't look a lot brighter for the Suns. I think their best basketball for this current nucleus of players may be behind them. If Shaq were able to duplicate his play from this season, I'd be really surprised. Steve Nash certainly hasn't had the impact he once had. I don't think much of a window is left for them, and with their salaries, they don't appear to have much maneuverability, either. Unless they can move Shaq, who is on the books for $21 million, I don't know who they'll be able to add to improve themselves.

I would say that the Spurs also have probably peaked as a unit with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, but they still are in much better shape than Phoenix. While they may have fallen off a bit, their best could still be enough to win an NBA title.

I've sensed somewhat of a change in their style. This used to be a lockdown defensive team. You'd see a lot of games with scores in the 80s. They would slow the tempo and be very hard to score against.

Now they are looking a little more like an up-tempo team. I think Gregg Popovich realizes that the goal for everyone in the Western Conference has to be to beat the Lakers. The only way the Spurs will do that is by improving their offense. I think that's why there were serious talks about bringing Vince Carter to San Antonio. I really think that was close to happening. They wanted to get more athletic and offensive. Ultimately, that's why they ended up with Gooden.

They haven't stopped playing defense, but if you look at the numbers, they are nowhere near what they have been in the past decade. The style they are playing now is easier on them physically as well.

It is easy to explain the Spurs defensive numbers:

We have substituted a defensive big man (Oberto) with an offensive big man (Bonner) in the starting linuep.

Michi_Germany
03-08-2009, 02:23 PM
jon barry is a idiot.

+1

GSH
03-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Speaking of "best years behind you"... wouldn't it suck to be Jon Barry? Knowing that your best years were behind you, and they sucked?

Is it any wonder that he is always in such a bad mood?

Austin_Toros
03-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Jon Barry is no rocket scientist and overvalues Amare in particular. The Suns appear to be if anything better without him as they play defense better.

As for the Spurs, if all three stars healthy his assertation that the Spurs cannot beat the LAL in a series is totally inane.

I think you're right; a healthy spurs team can beat the Lakers.

But there is not doubt that the Suns heyday is over. A future with Shaq and the ever slowing down Nash and Hill does not look bright.

JWest596
03-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I would say that the Spurs also have probably peaked as a unit with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili

While they may have fallen off a bit, their best could still be enough to win an NBA title.

Don't get decisive Jon. Play the fence

DrHouse
03-08-2009, 05:39 PM
The big question mark for the Spurs going forward is the health of their Big 3.

When they are healthy there is no question the Spurs are a top tier team that can beat anyone.

I think for them to remain competitive they need to find replacement talent for Manu. It's looking like his ankle injuries may force him into retirement sooner rather than later.

TampaDude
03-08-2009, 05:41 PM
the big question mark for the spurs going forward is the health of their big 3.

When they are healthy there is no question the spurs are a top tier team that can beat anyone.

I think for them to remain competitive they need to find replacement talent for manu. It's looking like his ankle injuries may force him into retirement sooner rather than later.

^ this

objective
03-08-2009, 05:43 PM
what's wrong with what Barry wrote with regards to the Lakers?

Even without Bynum I'd expect the Spurs to be underdogs even with Ginobili and Gooden, and the betting lines will reflect that. Moreso if Bynum gets back.

turiaf for president
03-08-2009, 06:01 PM
jon hates the lakers just as much. as a fan of the lakers tho i do have to agree with him. i think the lakers are just too deep for the spurs. but hey they gotta play the games and anything can happen....especially with TD and pop leading the way

DrHouse
03-08-2009, 06:17 PM
I agree I just don't see this Spur team going all the way.

With Bynum available even their Big 3 at full strength isn't going to be enough. Bynum allows the Lakers to single cover Duncan, which greatly limits their effectiveness offensively. It means Kobe can divert all his attention to stopping Manu.....and if Manu doesn't shoot the lights out the Spurs lose. Too many things have to go right for the Spurs to win 4 out of 7 against a healthy Laker team.

SouthTexasRancher
03-08-2009, 09:40 PM

You bet he is. He used to talk about the Spurs as if the whole team and organization were Greek Gods. After his brother signed with Houston he has been down on the Spurs. Screw him! He wasn't even a good player when he played. Actually was known as a joke by many. Not in his brother or dad's category.

tmtcsc
03-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Jon Barry likes to tickle men's balls with his tongue. He sucks ass.
Bitter little bitch. Did he ever play for Phoenix ? He would have fit right in. Them and Dallas.

I can't wait until the Spurs shove it right back in to his face. Life long loser.

Spursmania
03-09-2009, 12:03 AM

With Bynum available even their Big 3 at full strength isn't going to be enough. Bynum allows the Lakers to single cover Duncan, which greatly limits their effectiveness offensively. It means Kobe can divert all his attention to stopping Manu.....and if Manu doesn't shoot the lights out the Spurs lose. Too many things have to go right for the Spurs to win 4 out of 7 against a healthy Laker team.

Bynum has done nothing to prove himself worthy of any playoff accolades. Remember you guys have lost the last 2 times you were in the finals. It's good for you to be cocky though, just keep thinking the Spurs can't beat you. We like it that way. Overconfidence many a team it spoils... Remember no excuses when you lose!:toast

The_Game
03-09-2009, 01:30 AM
lakers would still be favourites over the spurs without bynum

Agloco
03-09-2009, 08:53 AM
By Jon Barry
ESPN.com

Going away from what has gotten you four titles is not good.....

Agloco
03-09-2009, 08:55 AM

Just like they did last year for you guys right?

Non call on Fisher in game 4? Supers going 20% from the field in the fourth quarter in game 1 and blowing a 20 point lead?

Things happen. We will see once the playoffs start.

tmtcsc
03-09-2009, 10:51 AM

The 2007-2008 season called, they want their prognosis on the Spurs chances back.

EJK5032
03-09-2009, 11:49 AM
the best years are behind Jon Barry.......oh wait, did he even have any?