PDA

View Full Version : Who-doka???

Go For Tree
03-08-2009, 03:27 PM
now i know this guy doesnt have many fans here on ST.COM, but youve got to admit over the last 5-6 games the guy is making the most of his PT in the absence of Manu..... Very impressed that even with irregular minutes he has stayed ready to play. Props. :toast

Michi_Germany
03-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Ime really steped up the last games. Hope he continues playing like that!

urunobili
03-08-2009, 03:39 PM
It'd be nice to have a better version than what he was last year just ready for the playoff's 09...

alchemist
03-08-2009, 03:39 PM
For me, mentally it's better to have very low expectations from him - that way when he's having a good stretch it surprises me.

spursfaninla
03-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Not sure there is much that can be done for Udoka. Even with a good stretch now, where does he get minutes? At BEST, he takes some sf minutes. What would have to happen is that Hill loses minutes, Mason takes his, and Fin loses minutes while Bowen does not get them b/c.

That is the only scenario that allows Udoka on the floor. If hill get minutes, then Mason gets all the sg minutes outside of manu, as well as some of Fin's minutes at the backup sf. Right now, Hill is at a low ebb. We will see if that continues, then Udoka has a shot at minutes. Otherwise, it us unlikely he even has a chance because he would have to beat out Mason getting minutes then, and that is not going to happen

Austin_Toros
03-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Udoka's play of late has been better, and he's shown that he can still contribute. Pop cutting his minutes so much may be harsh to some degree, but it also comes down to Hairston playing in the big league now.

NFGIII
03-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Where has this guy been all year? Now he is starting to contribute and that is a good sign. We need all the help we can get. I don't expect him to be very good but at least he is giving us more than he has all year. Hope he can keep it up.

Spur-Addict
03-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Anybody see that garbage he threw off the back board? LMAO

bdictjames
03-08-2009, 04:37 PM
So what's the Spurs record the last 7 games?

duncan228
03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
so what's the spurs record the last 7 games?

4-3

GSH
03-08-2009, 05:23 PM
I put it in the game thread, but it belongs here too. Ime finished with 11 points on 4-8 shooting. Without Ime, there's a good chance the Spurs lose this game against the Suns.

sananspursfan21
03-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Yep, he's doing good!:downspin:

Manufan909
03-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Idk about 5, but the last 2 he's been great, he really stepped up today. I may hate on him as much as anyone here, but unlike some posters, I will dispense props when he shines. And for Ime 08-09, today he was a sun.:lol

loveforthegame
03-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I thought he was solid in the 1st half today but he was garbage in the 2nd half. Overall I think he's done well with the minutes he's been given lately so I can see why Pop is willing to give him another chance at making a difference.

Manufan909
03-08-2009, 05:45 PM
IMO, he was solid in both. But you're right about him doing better in the first half.

SenorSpur
03-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Okey-doke has registered better overall performances in consecutive games, as of late. I certainly hope this has improved his confidence, as the Spurs will need a lift from him during the stretch drive and the playoffs. Speaking of lifts, Ime could use some because he sure doesn't have any. :lol

lefty
03-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Ime played well against crappy defensive teams.

Sure, it's good for his confidence, but let's not get over excited

Manufan909
03-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Ime doing well against ANYONE is cause for celebration.:danceclub

GSH
03-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Okey-doke has registered better overall performances in consecutive games, as of late. I certainly hope this has improved his confidence, as the Spurs will need a lift from him during the stretch drive and the playoffs. Speaking of lifts, Ime could use some because he sure doesn't have any. :lol

They asked Pops Mensah-Bonsu as he was leaving if he was aware what a fan favorite he had become. He was, and he really enjoyed it.

You think Ime isn't aware that people talk like he wouldn't make it as a D-Leaguer? Everybody needs to hear something positive at work.

I've never quit saying it: before this season is over, we're going to be glad he is on the team. If he re-gains a little confidence in his 3-ball, people will be screaming for him to get more minutes.

xtremesteven33
03-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Ime still pisses me off.

Old School 44
03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Knowing the team was looking for another big, I think he was tanking a bit, waiting for the trade deadline to pass before he showed anything. :lol

Manufan909
03-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Ime still pisses me off.

Were you distracted on all 4 of his makes, one being when he drew a foul(but not getting the And1)on a layup? He pisses me off when he plays bad, but no Spur should piss you off if he does well.:bang

Spursmania
03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Udoka will impress me when he is more consistent. Tonight he gets props for 1st half play. When the game began to get close in the 2nd quarter he tanked a couple shots and didn't play as well. To me, he plays well when we're in the lead and there is no pressure. He does not play well when the game is close and we need him. When he plays well against big teams under pressure, then I will say I was wrong about him. But until then, the verdict is not out.

I am happy he did well. He does deserve Props, but I'm not getting on his bandwagon yet. There's a lot more to prove than playing well for 2 games-- against the Wizards (very sucky team) and Suns (going nowhere this year).:hat

Cane
03-08-2009, 06:20 PM
If there's one player who seems to benefit from Manu's injury its Udoka, hopefully he can keep it up once Manu is healed up.

SenorSpur
03-08-2009, 06:20 PM
They asked Pops Mensah-Bonsu as he was leaving if he was aware what a fan favorite he had become. He was, and he really enjoyed it.

You think Ime isn't aware that people talk like he wouldn't make it as a D-Leaguer? Everybody needs to hear something positive at work.

I've never quit saying it: before this season is over, we're going to be glad he is on the team. If he re-gains a little confidence in his 3-ball, people will be screaming for him to get more minutes.

I hear ya. By no means do I think he's trash. In fact, I really like the guy and feel bad for him. He seems like a good guy, of good character and a perfect personality fit. I'm sure this period has been has been hard on him - mentally. I just want him to find himself and be more consistent. If he can't do that, then I'd rather see the Spurs invest the roster spot in someone else next year.

TwelveGs210
03-08-2009, 07:01 PM
yeah, maybe 10 more games like this and i can change my sig

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/12gs210/FUCKUDOKA.jpg

Spur-Addict
03-08-2009, 07:13 PM
You should make your sig larger.

manufor3
03-08-2009, 07:57 PM
i really dont understand you guys (some of you)
you all get extremely hyped (we might as well had gotten dwight howard) when we get pops mensah-bonsu (d-leaguer), but when ime has a bad game, you act like he isnt even on YMCA level.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2009, 08:17 PM
he better not pull a hedo on us in the playoffs....

TwelveGs210
03-08-2009, 08:18 PM
You should make your sig larger.

couldnt get it larger, but fit within the 19.5 k limit

cnyc3
03-08-2009, 08:49 PM
good game by ime today.. he needs to stop with the pumpfakes though.. either let it fly or swing it

Spurs Brazil
03-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Props to Ime, solid game today

SouthTexasRancher
03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
now i know this guy doesnt have many fans here on ST.COM, but youve got to admit over the last 5-6 games the guy is making the most of his PT in the absence of Manu..... Very impressed that even with irregular minutes he has stayed ready to play. Props. :toast

Once Gooden gets in some game action and then when Manu comes back it will be back to the bench for Ime. But, at least now Pop & RC have something to show when they go to trade him in the off-season. It'll take a blowout, one way or the other in the playoffs for Ime to see any action. A couple of decent games does not offset a horrible previous 60 games. Ime is toast before next season. Probably a package deal with cash and draft picks between 2 or 3 teams. He's had his chance and he failed.

ManuTP9
03-08-2009, 09:35 PM
i have to admit udoka played good

spursnatic
03-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I have always liked Udoka, I just don't think he has really gotten his share of minutes to show that he can contribute...Keep it up Udoka!!!!!:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2::flag:

Udokafan05
03-08-2009, 09:58 PM
He just needed the chance to get out of a shooting slump, like finley does all the time.

sammy
03-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Give him some minutes and he does well! He doesn't play enough for all of the critcism he takes, but Finley gets alot of minutes and just plain sucks! I wish Finley would get less minutes and Ime more! He showed he can play in the playoffs last year and I don't understand why Pop doesn't play him, but Finley gets alot of minutes! Great game Ime! Keep it up!

Spursmania
03-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Let's see how Ime does when we play the Lakers this Thursday. Then we can have a better look at him when the Spurs are actually playing a damn good team. Let's see if he can actually make shots then. If he plays, I'm sure it will make for an intersting discussion.

SpursDynasty
03-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Ime Udoka is the worst Spur that I can remember

YODA
03-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Im amazed noone has mentioned what Pop said about him prior to this game. Not a direct quote, but something along the lines of," Ime is a constant professional... stays after practice, never complains about playing time and is always ready to play."

I kinda think Pop is rewarding him for being just that. A total professional about his situation. Pop is also doing the same for Vaugn.

Doesnt this make more sense now?

Andy25
03-09-2009, 12:51 AM
Im amazed noone has mentioned what Pop said about him prior to this game. Not a direct quote, but something along the lines of," Ime is a constant professional... stays after practice, never complains about playing time and is always ready to play."

I kinda think Pop is rewarding him for being just that. A total professional about his situation. Pop is also doing the same for Vaugn.

Doesnt this make more sense now?

That and Ime doesn't seem to make too many bone headed mistakes.. more or less he just doesn't knock down shots/lacks the athletic ability to do certain things.

Josh810
03-09-2009, 01:28 AM
yeah, maybe 10 more games like this and i can change my sig

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/12gs210/FUCKUDOKA.jpg
:lol Those are good bulletpoints.

beachwood
03-09-2009, 03:12 AM
I'll admit I've been a Udoka hater these past few months. Against the Cavs recently he was at his absolute worst. But I'll give props when props is due and he's been putting in a good effort the past few games. I hope he keeps it up.

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2009, 07:58 AM
did you guys see the part where he slaps richardsons head twice....

Agloco
03-09-2009, 08:02 AM

It's mostly in trash time against backups. The criticism your hear from mot people is the fact that he doesn't perform when the game is on the line. He's like a void that soaks up minutes but gives nothing back.

MoSpur
03-09-2009, 08:14 AM
I have been very impressed with his play as of late. I honestly think Pop will go with him come playoff time.

urunobili
03-09-2009, 08:22 AM
i think his last few games performances have to do with the increased playing time Malik has had... even on some games ahead of him on the rotation... I personally think Malik's contribution could be better for the team... but Pop will respect Ime's experience come playoff time... IIRC he was the X=factor in the series against the Hornet's last year...

m33p0
03-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Who-doka? He-doka!

ALAMO-DEFENSE
03-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Udoka has a inherent bad factor: he is undersized. He can't change it. He has not SG skills, he is a natural SF but with a PG/SG size. Lately, he is doing well. He has good hands on defense, but i repeat, not much body to contain guys like Hedo, Melo, Lebron, Dirk, Odom, etccccccc

nkdlunch
03-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Ime has not hops whatsoever. in the paint he needs to use his brute strength and try to get some calls, either that or he will be useless IMO. He is not a great shooter so we can't really rely on that in the playoffs

temujin
03-09-2009, 01:01 PM

Ime Udoka is the only Spur who could kill a human being.

Easily.

And not in a raptus.

You don't want to get rid of guy like that.

Go For Tree
03-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Ime Udoka is the worst Spur that I can remember

jack haley???
nick van exel???
damon stoudamire???
jackie butler???

Are youuuuuuuuuuuu sure??

Go For Tree
03-09-2009, 01:18 PM
It's mostly in trash time against backups. The criticism your hear from mot people is the fact that he doesn't perform when the game is on the line. He's like a void that soaks up minutes but gives nothing back.

wrong. the past few games i was reffering to was not trash time..... aand i think the main issue with the hate he gets is because most on here are way too concerned just about making shots. as long as he lets it fly when hes open hes fine..... its kinda a bonner situation with him bc remember how shitty bonner played with inconsistent minutes and now hes shining when given his opportunity. ime is the same way, cant just stay ina great offensive rythm without the minutes, but my point was that hes ready when hes called on. hes not going to be michael jordan and i doubt anyone expects that. i see a competitor out there when hes playing and were lucky to be able to rely on him with manu mia at the moment.... also i hope this makes you mad enough to respond so i can look at your sweet sig again. that is all.

Fingaroll44
03-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Give him some minutes and he does well! He doesn't play enough for all of the critcism he takes, but Finley gets alot of minutes and just plain sucks! I wish Finley would get less minutes and Ime more! He showed he can play in the playoffs last year and I don't understand why Pop doesn't play him, but Finley gets alot of minutes! Great game Ime! Keep it up!

NOBODY deserves all of the criticism the "experts" on ST dish out.

It's obvious u dont know Pop. He just about gives a pass to ANY veteran who has ALREADY proven himself in the NBA.
As for Udoka, he started out the year being outworked and outplayed by other wing guys. He didnt pout though, he came early and stayed late putting in work. Manu gets injured, an oppurtunity arises and Pop noticed Ime's been working for months w/ out crying about not playing and feel's he deserves a shot in the rotation. It probably was the best thing for Ime as evidenced by his play as of late.

hater
03-09-2009, 01:41 PM
now i know this guy doesnt have many fans here on ST.COM

I can't even name 1 :lol

Go For Tree
03-09-2009, 01:46 PM

i dont know about that..... im sure you could find at least 1.............

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=13088

:lol

Fingaroll44
03-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Let's see how Ime does when we play the Lakers this Thursday. Then we can have a better look at him when the Spurs are actually playing a damn good team. Let's see if he can actually make shots then. If he plays, I'm sure it will make for an intersting discussion.

Ime may have a bad game against the Lakers. But it doesnt prove anything to me one way or the other. Why? Because I remember the Ime from LAST year's playoffs. The one that already proved to me he can do it. He just needs to do it again.
Its really funny because i can remember last year everybody was raving about him...and now all of a sudden (or maybe gradually) he sucks really bad. :lol

Shakespeare was right....audiences are very fickle

Fingaroll44
03-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Straight from the Bruce "Lee" Bowen school of defensive frustration...

Fingaroll44
03-09-2009, 01:57 PM
jack haley???
nick van exel???
damon stoudamire???
jackie butler???

Are youuuuuuuuuuuu sure??

LOL....i wasnt even going to respond to that silly post he made...your response cracks me up though

Flux451
03-09-2009, 02:33 PM
He's been good, but needs to be better.

I like Hairston over Ime still. Hairston is killer on boards. I saw some miss rebounds by Ime that Hairston could of easily grabbed.

Ime shot looks better as of late, but Hairston def is getting more buckets recently too.

Ime has an edge with high low with Tim, but Hairston IQ could catch on quickly.

Obstructed_View
03-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Didn't Elson have a near 20/20 game against the Suns?

crc21209
03-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Ime Ime Ime....sure I bash him sometimes but lately hes been alright. I mean we gotta remember here that it probably is kinda hard to hardly play at all during the beginning of the Season then all of a sudden get thrown out there and getting some consistent minutes now. It takes some time to get a rhthym. That being said, he's done what has been asked of him for his spurts.

Obstructed_View
03-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Kudos to Ime for playing well, but let's not act like he hasn't gotten any opportunities. He's stunk out loud for the vast majority of the season, and has since preseason, when he was give PLENTY of minutes to work through his problems.

Spursmania
03-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Ime may have a bad game against the Lakers. But it doesnt prove anything to me one way or the other. Why? Because I remember the Ime from LAST year's playoffs. The one that already proved to me he can do it. He just needs to do it again.
Its really funny because i can remember last year everybody was raving about him...and now all of a sudden (or maybe gradually) he sucks really bad. :lol

Shakespeare was right....audiences are very fickle

I hear you about last year. But I really have been disappointed in his play not just the games from January on, but throughout the year. He has not played as well as last year. I was rooting for him this year, but I call a spade a spade when I see it. He's had this year to show us what he's got. Unfortunately, I like the guy but his play has dipped significantly. Please don't mention the Wizards because that team sucks. lol...

concken
03-09-2009, 08:39 PM
I can't believe this thread...Udoka is awful.

TwelveGs210
03-09-2009, 08:45 PM
yeah, even though he hasnt done anything else to make me dislike him anymore than yesterday afternoon, for some reason i find myself hating him that much more tonight for some reason..

Spur-Addict
03-10-2009, 09:28 PM
He's playing well tonight, not awesome, but well. He'll need more than a few games to get my support. Nice work though.

Spursfan092120
03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
I can't believe this thread...Udoka is awful.
Guessing you haven't watched the Spurs lately.

Spursmania
03-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Udoka played well against the Bobcats. I want to see how well he plays against our toughest teams, like LA, Jazz. Hornets, Houston.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Udoka played decent, but he took way way way too many shots (and to cap it off, only shot 30%)

I'm still in the Hairston over Udoka camp.

03-10-2009, 10:11 PM
hopefully the debate of hairston and udoka won't even matter. i don't want to see either of them playing during the playoffs.

GSH
03-10-2009, 10:21 PM

If you don't know any others, you know one. I never stopped saying it. Before this season is over, you'll be glad he's on the team.

He was a good player when he came here. He's still a good player. He's gone through a rough patch, no doubt. But all he's short is some confidence.

Chomag
03-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Even though slightly raw, Hairston still seems to have a whole alot more upside and skills then Udoka. I guess I can understand Pop going with Udoka more because he should know the system more then Hairston does but with playing time Hairston should get better at that.

I still would rather see Hairston play before Udoka because even when Hairston has a bad game he still is better then Udoka on Udoka's good game.

urunobili
03-10-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm still in the Hairston over Udoka camp.

45 bank shot
03-10-2009, 10:53 PM
This guy is alright. now merely a spot up shooter, cant drive, post up and even do stop-on-a dime. However, he'll help when it comes playoff time, his experience will help.
However, I'd still say," more Malik pls."

itzsoweezee
03-10-2009, 11:33 PM
udoka played well tonight. he played much better than the boxscore lets on.

Go For Tree
03-10-2009, 11:46 PM
I still would rather see Hairston play before Udoka because even when Hairston has a bad game he still is better then Udoka on Udoka's good game.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_THDKOxFepiY/SXgEwf5X6lI/AAAAAAAADRQ/IqE5i9XfHRg/s400/I_see_dumb_people_o_O_by_cool_slayer.jpg

think before you post!!!!:bang

Go For Tree
03-10-2009, 11:47 PM
hopefully the debate of hairston and udoka won't even matter. i don't want to see either of them playing during the playoffs.

this would mean a healthy big 3, and i wont argue that.

Obstructed_View
03-11-2009, 02:06 AM
Udoka's playing better than he's been playing, but nobody should mistake that to mean he's playing well. If he keeps this up he might be almost good enough to be only one or two steps behind where he should have been in his development by now. He was signed to audition for Bowen's job, and I'm sure there were thoughts among the coaching staff that he'd be making starter-level contributions by this point.

Chomag
03-11-2009, 06:29 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_THDKOxFepiY/SXgEwf5X6lI/AAAAAAAADRQ/IqE5i9XfHRg/s400/I_see_dumb_people_o_O_by_cool_slayer.jpg

think before you post!!!!:bang

Ime Udoka, is this you ?

benefactor
03-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Udoka's playing better than he's been playing, but nobody should mistake that to mean he's playing well. If he keeps this up he might be almost good enough to be only one or two steps behind where he should have been in his development by now. He was signed to audition for Bowen's job, and I'm sure there were thoughts among the coaching staff that he'd be making starter-level contributions by this point.
Exactly. The fact that he is playing better and contributing is nice, but lets face it...he should be doing this night in and night out. Even if he continues his current play, I would be very surprised to see him on this team next season...especially with Hairston on our bench.