PDA

View Full Version : A frightening thought for future Spurs games

GSH
03-08-2009, 06:08 PM
An East Coast friend of mine called to laugh about some of the idiotic comments Jeff VanGundy made today, during the Spurs vs. Suns game. But then he said something that gave me indigestion: "Do you realize that in the not too distant future, you could be sitting in your living room watching a Spurs game and listening to Jeff VanGundy, Bill Walton, and Shaq?

At first I said it couldn't happen. But he said that the league would do it because of their ability to pull people's chains. They would be the commentators you love to hate. And, he said, because their dumbass comments would appeal to lots of fans in the big media markets who have hated losing to the Spurs for so long. It's sad, but I have to admit that it is possible.

Could it really happen? Is there a worse possible trio of commentators? Would you turn the sound off on your television? I've never been a fan of sponsor boycotts, but I have to admit that I might participate in one if they ever did that.

BlackSwordsMan
03-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Jeff is awesome

honestfool84
03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
i don't think i've seen a game on ESPN this year...

thankfully.

i was at the suns game earlier, and i seriously just wanted to drop a soda on his head as i walked past.

Cane
03-08-2009, 06:17 PM
I'd watch a game sportscasted by the trio of Walton, Shaq, and JVG over a Spurs game!

The potential for crazy entertainment is just too high to pass up. Imagine if they were blazed out of their minds also lmao.

SenorSpur
03-08-2009, 06:17 PM
I do believe Shaq's ego will cause him to desparately seek ways to stay relevant with the NBA. There's no better way for him to stay close to the game than through broadcasting. After all, he does possess the necessary ingredients. First, many think he is as compelling a personality as Barkley. People like the fact that he's opinionated and not afraid to "pop off" - even though he's full of crap. Lastly, people think he's humorous and charming.

Don't believe all that crap about him going into law enforcement. He will be courted heavily. I can't stand his fat ass, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go the broadcast route.

baseline bum
03-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Shaq has no voice for TV; no way he'd be hired.

lefty
03-08-2009, 06:37 PM

Eeeeeh....Reggie Miller

I hate his voice

Libri
03-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Is there a worse possible trio of commentators?

Could you imagine a trio of Gary Payton, Stephen A. Smith, and Chris Webber or Reggie Miller.

SenorSpur
03-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Regarding his qualifications and voice, I agree with you. I just wouldn't be too sure about that. The way the NBA and networks suck up to him for his useless commentary, I believe he WILL get courted. Even they think the guy can boost their ratings, for whatever reason, they'll hire him. After all, it wouldn't be the first time they chased someone that wasn't qualified.

Spur-Addict
03-08-2009, 06:50 PM
The only thing I wouldn't want to hear during a Shaq commentary is flashbacks from his career. Other than that, I wouldn't have much of a problem despite disagreements i'd probably have with him. But i'd rather disagree with a former player than with someone who has never suited up in his/her life outside of low level leagues/competition.

I guess there is more of a respect factor for first hand experience.

Mugen
03-08-2009, 06:54 PM
jvg is great, prob my fav national color guy. better than mark "mama there goes that man" jackson. breen is good too.

i hate bill walton, shaq would never been a commentator, and reggie miller should be punched in the throat before ever game so i dont have to hear him scream "MARVelous" every 5 effin seconds.

50Bestspurever
03-08-2009, 06:56 PM
2 words, doug collins

Spurlady
03-08-2009, 07:12 PM
An East Coast friend of mine called to laugh about some of the idiotic comments Jeff VanGundy made today, during the Spurs vs. Suns game. But then he said something that gave me indigestion: "Do you realize that in the not too distant future, you could be sitting in your living room watching a Spurs game and listening to Jeff VanGundy, Bill Walton, and Shaq?

At first I said it couldn't happen. But he said that the league would do it because of their ability to pull people's chains. They would be the commentators you love to hate. And, he said, because their dumbass comments would appeal to lots of fans in the big media markets who have hated losing to the Spurs for so long. It's sad, but I have to admit that it is possible.

Could it really happen? Is there a worse possible trio of commentators? Would you turn the sound off on your television? I've never been a fan of sponsor boycotts, but I have to admit that I might participate in one if they ever did that.

Yes, I would just turn the sound off. I already do when the national announcers are not giving the Spurs any credit.

PM5K
03-08-2009, 07:22 PM
For some reason I thought this thread was going somewhere else.

I thought your friend was going to say how in the future a hologram of JVG would be sitting next to me in my living room talking as I watch the game.

That's some scary shit, good thing that's not where your friend was going..........

poop
03-08-2009, 08:05 PM
i like JVG and bill walton. they are a hell of alot better than reggie miller...

Trimble87
03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
JVG and Hubie Brown are the best announcers in the NBA. They make the game more fun for me to watch.

As for Shaq, as much as I hate him while hes on the court, or playing for another team, hes a funny guy. The NBA would be wise to put him alongside Barkley, Kenny, EJ and Webber on Inside the NBA.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
bill walton is good, some to he exaggerates alot, but thats the funni side of his commentating expecially calling out the bogus plays and fluke plays he sees....

raspsa
03-08-2009, 08:30 PM

They can do amazing things with digital sound processing nowadays.. they can even slim him down by a couple of hundred pounds while they're at it..:lol

Leetonidas
03-08-2009, 08:37 PM
As long as it's not Marc Jackson. FUCK Marc Jackson, I hate that moron. He is the worst commentator EVER.

sheriee84
03-08-2009, 08:38 PM
i don't think i've seen a game on ESPN this year...

thankfully.

i was at the suns game earlier, and i seriously just wanted to drop a soda on his head as i walked past.

lol.... you should have... :toast ... they could never prove that you did it on purpose

Chief
03-08-2009, 09:16 PM

nobody would understand what the fuck he's saying.

SouthTexasRancher
03-08-2009, 09:35 PM

I just don't take Jeff all that seriously. Not sure how he ever became an NBA coach. To me he is more suited as a high school coach. If I don't have to listen to the Round Mound Barkley, Bill Walton, Mark Jackson and Reggie Miller, ever again I'll feel like I've made it to heaven. The good thing about today's game is by being there I didn't have to listen to MJ and JvG.

Strike
03-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Could you imagine a trio of Gary Payton, Stephen A. Smith, and Chris Webber or Reggie Miller.

:bang Must :bang get :bang trio :bang of :bang douchebag :bang voices :bang out :bang of :bang my :bang head!!!

The Truth #6
03-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Shaq is amusing but has no analysis and is actually a Big Dud for the majority of the time he speaks.

Destro
03-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Shaq's voice is to deep for TV

Spursmania
03-08-2009, 10:58 PM
No big deal. I wouldn't mind.

monkeypunk
03-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Raaarrrrrrhh :domokun

ManuTP9
03-09-2009, 12:38 PM
2 words, doug collins

:nope

balli
03-09-2009, 12:54 PM
JVG is awesome. Bill Walton is in traction. Shaq will never be a regular, in-game, commentator. And if he were, the only player he halfway respects besides himself is TD.

Fabbs
03-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Techo geeks:

How difficult is it to have a Spurs/(opponents teams radio if Spurs unavail) radiocast while watching the game on t.v.?

xellos88330
03-09-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't care who the broadcasters are as long as I get to watch the spurs.

AussieFanKurt
03-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't mind hearing Walton commentate

RandomGuy
03-09-2009, 04:09 PM

This thread would have been 100% more cool if it had included a poll, with some funny combinations of really bad basketball commentators.

i.e.
Tiger Woods, Tanya Harding, and the Jamaican Bobsled team

or

Pol Pot, Stalin, and George Clooney

or

John Madden, "boom goes the dynamite" kid, Stevie Wonder