PDA

View Full Version : Who is the real key to the Spurs' success in the playoffs?

Supergirl
03-08-2009, 10:39 PM
We all know Tim, Tony, and Manu have to be healthy and ready to go for us to go deep in the playoffs. But none of our playoffs have been won by our stars alone - every year it's been Jaren Jackson (LOL - remember him - what the heck is *HE* doing now), Stephen Jackson, Steve Kerr, or Robert Horry...

Who will be the key to the Spurs' success this year?

Obstructed_View
03-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Ian Mahinmi.

Seriously, the Spurs are going to desperately need someone that can run the point when Parker is out, or someone that can run the point when Parker's in scoring mode.

spursfaninla
03-08-2009, 10:54 PM
People forget that Mason will not get as many shots as he is getting now once Manu is back.

He is important, but secondary.

I think that Gooden will be very important. If he can help on some athletic bigs from other teams, that will make a big difference in how far we go.

03-08-2009, 10:54 PM
kurt thomas and george hill. i don't know if hill will be ready for the playoffs. he can be a great asset against the lakers' strong bench if he's up to it. mason's role is pretty simple once ginobili returns: make the open 3. same with finley. mason won't need to do anything too complicated once ginobili returns. maybe boost the second unit with some scoring and playmaking but that's about it.

thomas will need to step up his defense against the lakers because he is the only one other than duncan who can stop bynum/gasol in the low block. his greatest weakness is stepping out into the high post so as long as he guards bynum, he will be fine since bynum doesn't have a consistent jump shot. against other teams, popovich may afford to go with bonner or gooden. but to beat the lakers, thomas will have to step up big just like he did against shaq in previous games.

Spursmania
03-08-2009, 10:55 PM
That is a tough one. I could see how we need each of those guys to step it upon different nights. I did vote though.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2009, 10:58 PM
without tim duncan

this team wont even sniff the playoffs

either bruce bowen has totally become shit overnight or his saving it for the playoffs....

03-08-2009, 11:02 PM
actually now that i thought it about it, bowen will be pretty important too. spurs defense has been lacking and bowen needs to return to at least 2007 form to guard melo, bryant, roy, james, and pierce. if he's lost a step, spurs' next best perimeter defender is probably ginobili but the spurs don't need ginobili to tire out on defense. mason may be able to draw assignments against guards but i don't think he can handle small forwards. and everyone knows no one wants finley guarding james, melo, or pierce.

West Coast Spur
03-08-2009, 11:10 PM
actually now that i thought it about it, bowen will be pretty important too. spurs defense has been lacking and bowen needs to return to at least 2007 form to guard melo, bryant, roy, james, and pierce. if he's lost a step, spurs' next best perimeter defender is probably ginobili but the spurs don't need ginobili to tire out on defense. mason may be able to draw assignments against guards but i don't think he can handle small forwards. and everyone knows no one wants finley guarding james, melo, or pierce.

I thought I was going crazy when I saw I was the only one who voted for Bowen. He has always had the duty of guarding Kobe (figuring they are only team that can beat the Spurs). Also, he has played notoriously well against them from the offensive end as well. You know his minutes will go up in the playoffs, and for the Spurs to win, they need Bruce to come up big.

timvp
03-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Health.

ducks
03-09-2009, 12:29 AM
tp and duncan

BlackSwordsMan
03-09-2009, 12:31 AM
manu

colargol
03-09-2009, 02:24 AM
health.

+1

baseline bum
03-09-2009, 02:48 AM
Manu. If Manu's not close to 100%, no chance. If he is, he makes the team so much more difficult to guard.

03-09-2009, 02:49 AM
i think supergirl already acknowledges the big 3 needs to be healthy. the question was who outside health and the big 3 will need to step up the most. that's why they are not included in the poll.

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2009, 03:03 AM
stern and the refs with media

if they want another fukn fail lakers v celtics, they will have it

John_C
03-09-2009, 03:16 AM
I think Gooden would be the key. During our playoff run against the Hornets and Lakers last year, it was the PFs of those team that became a real tough match for us.

katuso
03-09-2009, 03:25 AM
Roger Mason Jr maybe
add GOODEN

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2009, 04:01 AM
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3151/gregpraying.jpg

BWS-1994
03-09-2009, 04:30 AM
We all know Tim, Tony, and Manu have to be healthy and ready to go for us to go deep in the playoffs. But none of our playoffs have been won by our stars alone - every year it's been Jaren Jackson (LOL - remember him - what the heck is *HE* doing now), Stephen Jackson, Steve Kerr, or Robert Horry...

3 point shooting... Hopefully, we can add RMJ to that list! :flag:

raspsa
03-09-2009, 04:46 AM
Bonner is going to break out in the playoffs.

peter_slb
03-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Tim Duncan will play as well as he always does, Parker is very consistent right now. So the key will be Manu, if Manu is completely recovered and at the top of his game we have very good chances of being champions. What Gooden could do against Lakers frontcourt will be very important also.

Pauleta14
03-09-2009, 06:01 AM
The answer is in the question!!!
The only guy we don't know yet what he will brings (X?) is Gooden...

ps:That's why I think it's a good thing if he doesn't face the Lakers next thursday, he'll stay an X factor for them too...

mathbzh
03-09-2009, 06:36 AM
He can play against LA... it would be his first game with the Spurs.
This game could hardly be a predictor of future playoff success.

But I agree Gooden is the x factor for the Spurs.

manufor3
03-09-2009, 06:51 AM
mason

urunobili
03-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Bruce Bowen

Rogue
03-09-2009, 07:29 AM
suns will be the real and the only key to spurs' success in the playoffs only if suns make their place in playoffs.

easy7
03-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Drew Gooden,,,

Agloco
03-09-2009, 07:38 AM
I'd have to go with a combo of Roger/Drew. If we can get 22 and 10 combined from them we should be ok.

Oh, and a minimum of boneheaded plays on Gooden's part will help too.

Spurs Brazil
03-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Defence

SpursDynasty
03-09-2009, 04:01 PM
We lost last year because of a serious lack of scoring outside the Big Three. Cancel Manu out in the Lakers series, so that's a lack of scoring outside TD and TP.

Healthy TD
Healthy TP
Healthy Manu
Bowen on Kobe
Gooden to help in the paint
Mason and Bonner consistent

RandomGuy
03-09-2009, 04:15 PM

Mason. No questions asked. Worth every penny. IHO

sananspursfan21
03-09-2009, 05:06 PM
roger mason could be the x-factor in the playoffs

DeadlyDynasty
03-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Andrew Bynum

xtremesteven33
03-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Andrew Bynum

:bang

YoMamaIsCallin
03-09-2009, 05:10 PM
It's kind of all of the above. First you have to have Duncan/Parker/Ginobili all playing at 90% or better health-wise to even have a shot to go to the WCF, much less the Finals. Then, you need to be able to respond when the other team takes away your go-to options (both offensively and defensively). This means you need every bench player to be able to step up when the time comes.

DeadlyDynasty
03-09-2009, 05:12 PM
:bang

Injuries are the x-factor...it's as plain as day. If Bynum is injured and/or Manu is down it will affect the outcome. If both teams are fully healthy then oh well, it was a nice season fellas...maybe next year for ya

Horse
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
We need everybody to get this done and we can. How bout George Hill locking down chris paul or deron williams?

Obstructed_View
03-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Injuries are the x-factor...it's as plain as day. If Bynum is injured and/or Manu is down it will affect the outcome. If both teams are fully healthy then oh well, it was a nice season fellas...maybe next year for ya

Says the guy whose team needed an injured Manu and an incorrect non-call to advance.

Tbiggums47
03-10-2009, 12:20 AM
I vote someone else!!!Kobe Bryant not playing:depressedThe boy is Bad!!!!.....I think we have leveled the frontline advantage with Gooden. Who's going to stop Kobe? Just a question??:flag:

SpuronyourFace
03-10-2009, 01:00 AM
tim and tony will be what they are. no worries there.

the key is we need a healthy Manu.

Everyone else just needs to know their roles.

ManuTP9
03-10-2009, 07:05 AM
i have a feeling mason is going to step it up big time imo hes going to save us in clutch games.

Supergirl
03-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Little scary how many people are putting their faith in Gooden, when he hasn't even suited up for us...

I think Mason will win 1 or 2 games for us in the playoffs with his clutch shooting.

But I think Bowen and Thomas's defense will also be gamechangers come playoff.

Muser
03-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Bowen.

FlAVaK
03-10-2009, 09:17 AM
What Randy Hill thinks about this topic:

# Obvious X-Factor: Roger Mason Jr. and Matt Bonner would be fine choices and may qualify as real X-Factors by the end of the playoff run. Rookie point guard George Hill has been a fine sub for Tony Parker, but just may lose playoff minutes to veteran Jacque Vaughn.

# Real X-Factor: In a conference loaded with gifted wing players, playing on a team that puts a premium on defense, someone who can help create a stop during a game's crucial stage is X-Factor enough for us. On this team, it's Bruce Bowen, whose diminishing minutes may require something like a timely, bench-clearing shove to create sufficient impact for the Spurs to advance.

foxsports-link: Quest for excellence includes X-factors (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9303072/Quest-for-excellence-includes-X-factors)

silverblackfan
03-10-2009, 10:42 AM
I voted for Mason as the most likely on the list given, but really its Manu as usual who will be the X-Factor.

Spursmania
03-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Joey Crawford aka "Queen Crawford"...:wakeup

NBAdime
03-10-2009, 12:50 PM
I think the whole bench has to contribute for any team to win.

EJK5032
03-10-2009, 12:50 PM
health

and if Bonner can stay hot during the playoffs, that's an x-factor........cause when those shoulder-launched rainbows splash down, that can seriously crush the heart of a defense.

I'd like to see Bowen get back on track with his corner 3's too (when he's in the game)

rattler3
03-10-2009, 03:11 PM
bruce bowen.DUH.he has always been up to the test of guarding big players.without him,we are shit.:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag:

rattler3
03-10-2009, 03:21 PM
I think roger mason jr. i know when manu comes back he wont have such a big task but this year he has hit some crazy shots in some crazy games.he could become our next robert horry.:flag::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

Rain318
03-10-2009, 03:41 PM
manu

wildbill2u
03-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Considering his current injury and previous injury this year and last, you should have included MANU. No Manu, no championship.

The same might be said of TP and TD but they aren't in rehab right now.

mabrignani
03-10-2009, 04:34 PM
the fans!!!!

Supergirl
03-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Considering his current injury and previous injury this year and last, you should have included MANU. No Manu, no championship.

The same might be said of TP and TD but they aren't in rehab right now.

Did you not read the post that you quoted. I said that a healthy MANU, Tim and Tony were a given. The whole damn point was to name who people think the other x-factor(s) will be.

It's really sort of amazing to me how poor people's reading comprehension skills are, and how few people know who Chekhov is. (anyone else watch The Amazing Race?)