PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Old Film Of Shaq Allows Suns To Tease Big Man (Also: Manu Watch)

duncan228
03-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Old film of Shaq allows Suns to tease big man (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Old_film_of_Shaq_allows_Suns_to_tease_big_man.html )
Mike Monroe

The Suns coaching and support staff was treated to a film session Saturday, courtesy of head coach Alvin Gentry's brother-in-law, WOAI-TV sportscaster Don Harris.

Harris showed the staff videotape of a TV feature he had produced during Shaquille O'Neal's days at Cole High School in the late 1980s, including footage of O'Neal as a skinny high school sophomore.

“It looked like the new Shaq ate that Shaq,” Gentry said before Sunday's game between the Suns and Spurs at AT&T Center. “That's what everybody was kidding (Shaq) about.”

Most impressive about O'Neal as a youngster, said Gentry, was his athleticism.

“He was an incredible athlete; the way he ran, and what he did as a high school player.

“I don't think anybody realized how great he was as a high school player. He played at a small school, and in San Antonio, which is not a basketball hotbed. If he'd have been in Los Angeles, Chicago or New York, or someplace like that, he's as good a high school player as there has ever been to walk out on the court.”

O'Neal may not have gotten the early notoriety he would have in today's YouTube world, but every major college coach knew about him.

Gentry, an assistant coach for the Spurs during O'Neal's Cole High career, understood, even then, the young center was destined for NBA stardom.

“The national spotlight wasn't on him like it should have been,” Gentry said. “I watched him play in the AAU (tournament) when I was an assistant with the Spurs. He was unbelievable. They won the national championship, beat a team from Indiana with (former NBA player) Calbert Cheaney on it, the tournament right here, in San Antonio.

“The guy was an incredible athlete, but a lot skinnier than he is now.”

Manu watch: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said the wait for Manu Ginobili's return from a right ankle injury may last another two weeks.

When Ginobili was diagnosed with a stress reaction in his right ankle on Feb. 16, the team's medical staff said he would miss two to three weeks.

Popovich said team doctors took another look at the ankle recently and determined his recovery period will extend beyond the three weeks.

“Another week to two weeks,” Popovich said. “When he's ready, he will play.”

Special guest: Larry Coker, hired Friday as the football coach for the fledgling UTSA program, attended Sunday's game. He was warmly received by the crowd when shown on the big screen scoreboard between the third and fourth quarters.

Worth noting: Sunday's victory pushed the Spurs' record to 42-20, meaning they are assured of their 12th consecutive winning season. Their last losing season: 1996-97, when David Robinson missed all but six games with an injury and the Spurs went 20-62.

The Spurs won the NBA draft lottery after that season and made Tim Duncan the No. 1 overall pick. They have won no fewer than 53 games in the full seasons played since.

Spursmania
03-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Dammit-they must not have liked what they saw on Manu's MRI. Perhaps the bone is not healing as fast as they expected. I only hope more time off=more healthy Manu.

Come on Manu-get better. We need those nuns that always pray for the Spurs during Playoff time to begin praying for their health now.:depressed

Spursmania
03-08-2009, 11:41 PM
I talked to a Spurs doctor after today's game and asked how manu was doing and he was all smiles and said he is doing really well.

The extra time is probably Pop's caution.

I hope so!
:wakeup

lefty
03-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Don't worry guys

usckk
03-08-2009, 11:52 PM
:( Manu get well soon!