PDA

View Full Version : a look to the future

kobyz
03-09-2009, 06:09 AM
i think we should sign Gooden at the end of the season for the full MLE over 5 years - i prefer him over Rasheed caus he is younger.
we should give Manu a 28 million $ - 4 years extension.
at 2010 summer we should give Bonner and Mason Jr extensions with the same amount of money like their current salary.
we also should bring Gist from Europe and keep Hairston - both on ceep contracts.
we should also let Bowen stay one more season on the minimum cause it's hard to imagine the Spurs without Bruce and keep Oberto for the minimum.
i dont know how much money will remain in our Cap Space but thats leave us at Summer 2010 to find a SF and a third PG in FA market.

2010/2011 season roster with this plan:

Tony Parker/George Hill/FA
Manu Ginobili/Roger Mason Jr/Malik Hairston
FA/James Gist/Bruce Bowen
Gooden/Bonner/Oberto
Duncan/Mahinmi

AussieFanKurt
03-09-2009, 06:12 AM
what about the 2009/2010 season?

Agloco
03-09-2009, 07:34 AM
i think we should sign Gooden at the end of the season for the full MLE over 5 years - i prefer him over Rasheed caus he is younger.
at 2010 summer we should give Bonner and Mason Jr extensions with the same amount of money like their current salary.
we also should bring Gist from Europe and keep Hairston - both on ceep contracts.
we should also let Bowen stay one more season on the minimum cause it's hard to imagine the Spurs without Bruce and keep Oberto for the minimum.
i dont know how much money will remain in our Cap Space but thats leave us at Summer 2010 to find a SF and a third PG in FA market.

Gooden/Bonner/Oberto
Duncan/Mahinmi

That's your only reason, and it's a very poor one.
I'm thinking that you don't know much about either player if you're preferring to have Gooden over Sheed.

Sheed for 2-3 years >>>> Gooden for 5 years......... all day.

Thomas82
03-09-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm thinking that you don't know much about either player if you're preferring to have Gooden over Sheed.

Why can't we have both?

raspsa
03-09-2009, 08:28 AM
No rush. let's see how Gooden performs fo rthe balance of the regular season and the playoffs.

urunobili
03-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Oberto should be gone and Gist/Mahimni inserted to the big man rotation instead

genomefreak13
03-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Sign David Lee... Now were talking money.

redskinfan
03-09-2009, 08:44 AM

who is this girl and where can I find her? smoking hot.....:wow

iilluzioN
03-09-2009, 09:05 AM

Gooden/Bonner/Oberto
Duncan/Mahinmi

Lets first see how Gooden plays out for us, lets not get to crasy here..... and I dont think i would want Oberto with us any longer

coyotes_geek
03-09-2009, 09:10 AM
How about let's see how Gooden fits in here first before committing our MLE to him?

mazerrackham
03-09-2009, 10:20 AM
I would never want to see Rasheed in a Spurs uniform because the kid's a punk, he has temper tantrums, and he's selfish. Not the type of Spurs player I like having around. Plus he's getting old. I'm with the I'd rather have Gooden group, but not because Gooden's better, but because Rasheed is a punk.

xtremesteven33
03-09-2009, 10:41 AM
How can you say you would prefer Gooden over Rasheed when he hasnt even played a Spurs game yet.

based on skills and experience alone I would chose Wallace any day of the week, twice on sunday.

crc21209
03-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Front line next year:

Duncan
Sheed
Gooden
Bonner
Maybe Thomas

I would be happy as hell with Gooden and Sheed along with TD and a lil mix of Bonner in there. And if Thomas still wants in, then why not. Oberto may be gone.

Spursmania
03-09-2009, 12:10 PM
This is premature. Let's see how Gooden performs.

Spurs Brazil
03-09-2009, 03:59 PM
a look to the future

Playoffs start in 6 weeks

The future is now.

AussieFanKurt
03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Sign David Lee... Now were talking money.

I wish!!

but sheed gets wayy wayy to angry and too many techs, i'd hate to have him on spurs. I think obertos time is near ending, gist and Ian, hellp!

jag
03-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Gooden for 5 years, Manu for 4 years?

have you lost your mind?

bdictjames
03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Show us that you can contact Pop and Holt, and we'll talk.

TwelveGs210
03-09-2009, 04:26 PM
How about let's see how Gooden fits in here first before committing our MLE to him?

egg fuckin xactly, and why would you commit 4 more years to manu when he's showing signs of the bumps and bruises catching up to him physically..maybe a 1 year deal or a team option on a second year would be smarter? mason is a 5th year guy, he needs a new deal, and i think bonner is expendable..we cant make commitments untill we see who is available in 2010.

BacktoBasics
03-09-2009, 04:47 PM
If Gooden plays well or above average I wouldn't be surprised to see his asking price hoover above MLE money. Playing on a team like this is likely to make him look better defensively than he really is. Time and time again this league has proven that getting above market value for a mid level player is common practice.

kobyz
03-09-2009, 04:57 PM
wow! i forgot about Splitter....

poop
03-09-2009, 06:23 PM
1. Rasheed will be 35 next season, thats too old. he would have been a good pickup for this years stretch run but i dont think we should sign him to any long contracts.

2. i love Manu, but in 4 years he will be in a wheelchair.

DAF86
03-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Lol at the people that seriously think the Spurs can land players of the caliber of Dwayne Wade from the free agency.

Most probable Spurs roster for next year:

Parker/Hill
Ginobili/Mason
Bowen/
Duncan/Bonner
Wallace/Mahinmi/Oberto

Oberto has one more year remaining in his contract and no matter how bad we want him out he'll probably be with us next year. The good thing is he'll become a reasonable decent trade asset. I'm pretty sure we'll land Sheed. And the biggest thing for us will be: "bring a defensive minded and athletic wingman with a reliable 3pt shot" or in other words a younger version of Bowen. I really hope we don't give Finley another year.

alexinstereo
03-09-2009, 07:43 PM
We need an upgrade at small forward in a bad way.

200 miles
03-09-2009, 07:56 PM
We need an upgrade at small forward in a bad way.

two words: James. Gist.

alexinstereo
03-09-2009, 07:58 PM
:lobt2:We need an upgrade at small forward in a bad way.

TDMVPDPOY
03-10-2009, 03:42 AM
Hey the knicks are still trying to clear capspace for 2 max contracts signing in t he 2010 sweepstakes....

i think they will give up there first rounders next 2 yrs and try trade for alot of 2nd round picks cause of the unsheed contracts.....THEY dont have any players we want, but if we can trade a few of our picks and jump into the first round for their higher picks on someone we like, we should jump the gun. Spurs should just give up on the 2010 plan...and see if theres anyone they like in 2009 or 2011 FA/rookie class....

AussieFanKurt
03-10-2009, 05:20 AM
dont go with Sheed
he's way to old and angry!

TDMVPDPOY
03-10-2009, 05:24 AM
dont go with Sheed
he's way to old and angry!

for the league minimum who wouldnt? he said he come here even for the minimum, you be stupid if you dont sign him....

AussieFanKurt
03-10-2009, 05:29 AM
if he comes for minimum i guess
but ill be pretty angry if he costs us games because of his usual anger.

TDMVPDPOY
03-10-2009, 05:34 AM
if he comes for minimum i guess
but ill be pretty angry if he costs us games because of his usual anger.

doesnt really make a difference costs wise compared to the stiffs on our bench atm not contributing much for what they are paid.

Just look at massenburg when he was with this team in 05, he earned a few technicals and throw outs...didnt costs us anything cause we were a deep team.

AussieFanKurt
03-10-2009, 05:35 AM
yeah good point
i'm sold.

TDMVPDPOY
03-10-2009, 05:43 AM
the only thing im waiting for is the new bargaining agreement, if theres going to be any changes regarding to euro players drafted in first or 2nd round getting shit rookie scaling money but dont wanna come here cause of pay issues, if they can get around that...maybe spurs can just throw out an attractive offer to splitter or any euro prospects in the future that would come here and play....minimum $$$ is not attractive for euro players, but for ballers outside of europe trying to make a break into the nba can still see the contract feasible.

mountainballer
03-10-2009, 05:54 AM
people should realize reality first before post all the wet dream scenarios.

first off, the cap will go down next year, so will the tax threshold.
reportedly it will be around 69 million.
Spurs already carry contracts for 70.3 million for 11 players for next season.
even if they waive Bruce and Fab (their contracts are only 50% guaranteed), they would be at 66.4 million, but need to sign at least 4 players.
if they can re sign Hairston for the min. (about 710K) and also sign Gist for the min. (about 440K), I guess both count for 710 against the lux tax, they will be only about 1 million under the threshold and still need to sign 2 players.

people should keep this in mind when assuming that the whole MLE will be spent for a player like Sheed or Gooden. (no idea by what exception both could be signed, as some suggest). if Sheed is signed for the MLE, the 2009-10 season of his services will cost the Spurs 10-11 million.
maybe the Spurs are prepared to pay big time tax money. if they land Camby at deadline, they would also have been deep in lux tax territory in 2010.

and btw. Sheed would be a great addition, also at 35. but will this be enough? Spurs would need to use some more money to provide some quality roster depth. like the BAE for a veteran wing, if they waive Bruce.
so or so, if the Spurs use the full MLE for one player, they will finally stand at about 77-79 million. this might mean additional 8-10 million in taxes. does anybody see Holt swallow this? ok, me neither.
my guess is, they will at least waive Fab, maybe also Bruce, and then use the MLE for 2 maybe even 3 players. they sign Gist and Hairston for the min.
like it or not, we will see more Ime's than Sheeds next season. we can pray that some of them turn out to be like Mason signings. (Mason for 2 million.)

TDMVPDPOY
03-10-2009, 05:57 AM
i thought gists will be in euro for another year....

AussieFanKurt
03-10-2009, 07:01 AM
"people should realize reality first before post all the wet dream scenarios."

rofllll :lol:lol

coyotes_geek
03-10-2009, 08:51 AM
people should realize reality first before post all the wet dream scenarios.

first off, the cap will go down next year, so will the tax threshold.
reportedly it will be around 69 million.
Spurs already carry contracts for 70.3 million for 11 players for next season.
even if they waive Bruce and Fab (their contracts are only 50% guaranteed), they would be at 66.4 million, but need to sign at least 4 players.
if they can re sign Hairston for the min. (about 710K) and also sign Gist for the min. (about 440K), I guess both count for 710 against the lux tax, they will be only about 1 million under the threshold and still need to sign 2 players.

people should keep this in mind when assuming that the whole MLE will be spent for a player like Sheed or Gooden. (no idea by what exception both could be signed, as some suggest). if Sheed is signed for the MLE, the 2009-10 season of his services will cost the Spurs 10-11 million.
maybe the Spurs are prepared to pay big time tax money. if they land Camby at deadline, they would also have been deep in lux tax territory in 2010.

and btw. Sheed would be a great addition, also at 35. but will this be enough? Spurs would need to use some more money to provide some quality roster depth. like the BAE for a veteran wing, if they waive Bruce.
so or so, if the Spurs use the full MLE for one player, they will finally stand at about 77-79 million. this might mean additional 8-10 million in taxes. does anybody see Holt swallow this? ok, me neither.
my guess is, they will at least waive Fab, maybe also Bruce, and then use the MLE for 2 maybe even 3 players. they sign Gist and Hairston for the min.
like it or not, we will see more Ime's than Sheeds next season. we can pray that some of them turn out to be like Mason signings. (Mason for 2 million.)

The Spurs definitely have some tough decisions ahead. The one potential piece of good news is that the luxury tax hit would likely just be a 1 year event. After that a bunch of contracts expire, plus Tim's salary drops by a decent amount as well. I would think the Spurs are smart enough to figure out that there's only so much sand left in that Tim Duncan hourglass and will take the luxury tax hit to try and squeeze one more ring out of the Duncan era.

bigfan
03-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Rasheed is on the downslope of his career, he has a bad attitude as well. Lets see how Drew does this year anyway.