PDA

View Full Version : Spurs odds of making playoffs are looking good..

MB3//
03-09-2009, 11:32 AM
http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html

Marcus Bryant
03-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Didn't stat geek say they wouldn't?

hater
03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Lol

MB3//
03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Also that #2 spot seems to be all but a lock.

SequSpur
03-09-2009, 11:37 AM
I am kind of disappointed in the Suns. I want them to make the playoffs, I enjoy sending them home early, I hope they go on a 10 win run.

pawe
03-09-2009, 11:40 AM
I am kind of disappointed in the Suns. I want them to make the playoffs, I enjoy sending them home early, I hope they go on a 10 win run.

I dont want to be a jinx but always be careful what you wish for.

FromWayDowntown
03-09-2009, 11:46 AM

Not sure I'd go quite that far. The Spurs are 2 up (in the loss column) on New Orleans and 3 up (in the loss column) on Houston. But they have 2 games left against each. If the Spurs were, for example, to lose both of the remaining games against NO, they'd be tied -- all other things being equal -- and NO would have the tiebreaker, making it all the more difficult for the Spurs to win the division and end up #2. Houston is charging as well and the Spurs and Rockets still meet 2 more times as well. Add to that remaining games against LA, BOS, and CLE, and staying #2 seems possible but far from a lock.

With 20 left, the Spurs have half of their remaining games against teams that are above .500, but that number is misleading because of those 10 games, 9 are against teams that have winning percentages above .625. Of the good teams left on the schedule, 4 of the 10 games are road games (at HOU, at ATL (2nd of B-2-B), at NO, at CLE).

Haven't had a chance to take a hard look at what HOU and NO have left -- approximating from numbers in Hollinger's power rankings, the Hornets probably have an easier closing schedule while the Rockets seem like they'll face a more difficult closing schedule; each of those teams has more road games left than home games -- the Spurs have 10 at home and 10 on the road.

I think the Spurs can get there and lock up #2, but they will have earned it.

MB3//
03-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm never one to go on a limb and say something early like that. It was a joke because as of now, there are 4 Spurs teams w/ the #2 spot..

MB3//
03-09-2009, 11:51 AM

If the Suns could somehow get hot, they could have a chance. The Mavs schedule coming up is really tough, and the Jazz remaining schedule looks brutal. Especially since they have such a poor road record.

MarHill
03-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Not sure I'd go quite that far. The Spurs are 2 up (in the loss column) on New Orleans and 3 up (in the loss column) on Houston. But they have 2 games left against each. If the Spurs were, for example, to lose both of the remaining games against NO, they'd be tied -- all other things being equal -- and NO would have the tiebreaker, making it all the more difficult for the Spurs to win the division and end up #2. Houston is charging as well and the Spurs and Rockets still meet 2 more times as well. Add to that remaining games against LA, BOS, and CLE, and staying #2 seems possible but far from a lock.

With 20 left, the Spurs have half of their remaining games against teams that are above .500, but that number is misleading because of those 10 games, 9 are against teams that have winning percentages above .625. Of the good teams left on the schedule, 4 of the 10 games are road games (at HOU, at ATL (2nd of B-2-B), at NO, at CLE).

Haven't had a chance to take a hard look at what HOU and NO have left -- approximating from numbers in Hollinger's power rankings, the Hornets probably have an easier closing schedule while the Rockets seem like they'll face a more difficult closing schedule; each of those teams has more road games left than home games -- the Spurs have 10 at home and 10 on the road.

I think the Spurs can get there and lock up #2, but they will have earned it.

I would agree with your assessment, From Way Downtown.

I would add that I believe the Spurs at least have to win 8 of 10 at home and 6 of 10 on the road and that would put them at 56 wins the same as last season and win the tiebreakers with Houston and New Orleans to lock up the 2 seed.

I believe that 56-58 wins will get the Spurs the #2 seed.

FromWayDowntown
03-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm never one to go on a limb and say something early like that. It was a joke because as of now, there are 4 Spurs teams w/ the #2 spot..

My bad -- should have clicked the link.

honestfool84
03-09-2009, 12:54 PM
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/174/tempimage12.png

MB3//
03-09-2009, 01:08 PM
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/174/tempimage12.png
Thank you for clearing up the confusion.

Dex
03-09-2009, 01:10 PM
:lol

We also have to face ourselves as the fourth and fifth seed. That's gonna be a rough series.

I don't know who to root for.

Galileo
03-09-2009, 01:47 PM
The most ideal scenario for the Spurs would be us to grab the # 2 seed, with Utah getting the # 4 or # 5 seed.

That way, the Spurs get home court the first two rounds, and Utah has to play the Fakers.

A healthy Utah is clearly the 3rd best team in the West.

hater
03-09-2009, 01:51 PM
so does this mean Spurs vs. Spurs in round 1 of the playoffs? at least we got home court advantage for all 7 games :lol

honestfool84
03-09-2009, 02:05 PM

np.

anything for a newbie.

Ditty
03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
1.lakers
2.spurs
3.nuggets (easy schedule)
4.Hornets(not so tough schedule)
5.Jazz
6.Rockets
7.Blazers
8.Mavs

RandomGuy
03-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Any crack monkey who thinks the spurs won't make the playoffs deserves to be slapped repeatedly with a dead flounder.

Spursmania
03-09-2009, 04:19 PM
The most ideal scenario for the Spurs would be us to grab the # 2 seed, with Utah getting the # 4 or # 5 seed.

That way, the Spurs get home court the first two rounds, and Utah has to play the Fakers.

A healthy Utah is clearly the 3rd best team in the West.

Totally agree with you. I would like the Lakers to play Utah. They are a pretty physical team. I just want the Lakers to get a physical team. Wear them bigs down...

sananspursfan21
03-09-2009, 05:01 PM
is this thread awkwardly sarcastic? of course they'll make the playoffs, why wouldn't they? (knock on wood)

sananspursfan21
03-09-2009, 05:02 PM

oh, haha, i get it. nvm, that's funny :lmao

mabrignani
03-09-2009, 05:05 PM

hahaha yeah i was thinkin the same thing. i bet the jazz hope they play the rocks first round too...they are in their head

Mal
03-09-2009, 05:18 PM

2 wins at Phoenix help them not to make playoffs :D

Mal
03-09-2009, 05:19 PM
I don`t want to play with Jazz in 1st round. They are playing some great basket lately. I think Portland or Denver would be easiest to beat.

Fabbs
03-09-2009, 05:28 PM
1. Health
2. Poops strategy(s) or lack thereof.

GSH
03-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I guess the original post was humor, and there were 4 Spurs listings at the 2 position? Seriously though:

Pull up a copy of the standings sheet in the West, and look at the current 2-8 seeds and their records. Now consider this: collectively, those teams will lose at least 1/3 of their remaining games. Why? They all have about 20 games left, give or take, and they have an average of about 7.5 games each against each other. Somebody has to lose every one of those games. So if the Spurs just went 10-10 for the remainder of the season, it's still unlikely that they would finish worse than 4 or 5.

Looking at a worst-case scenario: if the Suns finished the remainder of the season 16-3, the Spurs would have to go 7-13 to possibly miss the playoffs. If the Mavs were to finish 16-3, the Spurs could finish 12-8 and still get the 7 seed. And that is assuming everything else goes perfectly wrong with the way the other teams finish.

The Spurs' lead in the loss column is formidable at this point in the season, especially with so many games in common between the other playoff contenders. They would have to have a total collapse to finish worse than the 5 seed. All they need is to win most of their games against teams with losing records, and come close to .500 against the other West playoff teams. Anything beyond that is a bonus. But not as big of a bonus as being healthy.

The one team I do not want to see them play is Denver. Not because they would struggle to beat them, but because of worry about injuries. I've watched several of Denver's games lately, and I have seen a number of very cheap shots. I have a lot of respect for Chauncey Billups, but most of their players are juvenile delinquents who are capable of hurting a player for the remainder of the playoffs, out of frustration. I'm sure I'll catch some heat for saying it out loud, but I wouldn't put it past George Karl to encourage play that would endanger other players. Especially against the Spurs.

I'd settle for seeing the Lakers play the Nuggets in the first round, and the Jazz or Hornets in the second.

TheDarkSide.
03-09-2009, 06:06 PM
I'd be down for knocking out the mavs in the first round. Nuggets Rockets on league pass HD tonight

poop
03-09-2009, 06:15 PM
im happy as long as the Lakers = play Utah/Hornets instead of us = play Utah/hornets

Allanon
03-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Suns are seriously in the hole now. It's going to take perfect ball from here on out to make the Playoffs. Doesn't look like it's happening.

The 2-8 spots are pretty much up for grabs. Only 2.5 games separate #2 Spurs and #5 Hornets. Only 5 games total separate #2 and #8.

This year's finish in the West looks like it's going to be even more exciting than last year. "Playoff" atmosphere games almost every night in March/April...I like it.

honestfool84
03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
i don't care who we play in the first round, as long as it's not new orleans or utah.

honestfool84
03-09-2009, 08:03 PM
and i'd love for the lakers and spurs to play, both teams completely healthy.

honestfool84
03-09-2009, 08:03 PM
and i'd love for the lakers and spurs to play, both teams completely healthy.

in the WCF, of course..

anakha
03-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Any crack monkey who thinks the spurs won't make the playoffs deserves to be slapped repeatedly with a dead flounder.

Nah, Hollinger would complain that the flounder's efficiency numbers don't warrant it being used in that role.

ducks
03-09-2009, 09:42 PM
booner better play in the 4 to open the floor for tp,manu and duncan

FromWayDowntown
03-09-2009, 09:58 PM
booner better play in the 4 to open the floor for tp,manu and duncan

or what?

Spork KIller
03-09-2009, 10:10 PM

What a stupid Fuck!!

The spurms are not a lock for the second seed you asshole! only 2 games separates the spurms from the Rockets (with a Rockets game coming up this weekend on the road for the spurms which likely will result in a Houston win) to cut your precious lead to 1 game)

The 2nd place and 7th place are only separated by 3 games...

Don't make a fool of yourself asswipe!

The Spurms only need a bad losing streak to fall from 2nd to 7th place.

The only ones with a lock to stay in one place is the Lakers, other than that ....it's wide open dumbass!

Yorae
03-09-2009, 10:41 PM
What a stupid Fuck!!

The spurms are not a lock for the second seed you asshole! only 2 games separates the spurms from the Rockets (with a Rockets game coming up this weekend on the road for the spurms which likely will result in a Houston win) to cut your precious lead to 1 game)

The only ones with a lock to stay in one place is the Lakers, other than that ....it's wide open dumbass!

I'm relieved. At least you're still alive. I thought you already jumped off the building or shot yourself or something.

Cloud786
03-09-2009, 11:50 PM
I guess he doesn't know what "all but a lock" means.

Brutalis
03-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Okay, I just looked at the standings. We are in good shape. I can stop worrying about making the playoffs this year after so many years of heartache.

ThaiFanofSpurs
03-10-2009, 06:14 AM
What a stupid Fuck!!

Sounds like someone who needs love and attention. Very sad!

HORNSWOGGLE
03-10-2009, 06:28 AM
I guess he doesn't know what "all but a lock" means.
:lmao you have to excuse him, he is in need of serious help

m33p0
03-10-2009, 06:46 AM
no 'suns gone fishing' playoff thread? no, that can't be. it's traditional!