PDA

View Full Version : 3 Players that can take over a game?

silverblackfan
03-09-2009, 11:57 AM
I have to admit that TP has really taken on a cold-blooded attitude to winning games. You could see in the Third qtr of the Suns game he found his shot and just took over. It was on Tony's back to back buckets that I thought to myself, "Oh shit. The Suns are done."
We know that Tim or Manu can take over a game in that there is nothing the opposing team can legally do to keep them from scoring 30-40 on them. Tony seems to have that ability now also.
Which brings me to my question. What other team really has 3 players who can do this?
:ihit

crc21209
03-09-2009, 12:06 PM
NONE. I dont think 3 players on ONE team can create their own havoc and take over a game the way our Big 3 can when all healthy. 2005 seemed to be the breakout year for Manu, especially taking over in the Playoffs. I can't help but think this year will be exactly like that, but with TP now.

hater
03-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Celtics but in a lesser degree than SPurs

silverblackfan
03-09-2009, 12:09 PM
NONE. I dont think 3 players on ONE team can create their own havoc and take over a game the way our Big 3 can when all healthy. 2005 seemed to be the breakout year for Manu, especially taking over in the Playoffs. I can't help but think this year will be exactly like that, but with TP now.

Yeah, I agree.

crc21209
03-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Celtics but in a lesser degree than SPurs

KG seems to be more of a defensive player more now than offensive I think, on offense he seems to roam on the outside instead of banging in the paint. Allen and Pierce are the 2 offensive weapons on that team.

2Cleva
03-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Ahem. How can Spurs forget the Lakers.

Since there is a "when healthy" qualifier - LA has 3 when Bynum is healthy. He was straight giving it to Timmy the last 2 times the teams met. Changed the whole game inside.

silverblackfan
03-09-2009, 12:14 PM
The Lakers have Kobe, who clearly can own any game, and the Pau to much lesser degree. Everyone else seems stoppable.

2Cleva
03-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I doubt Bynum is back at the level he was pre-injury this season but if he gets close, he can't be stopped either.

But since Kobe should count as 2, we'll claim 3 anyway.

:toast

crc21209
03-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Please, Bynum does not have a true back to the goal post-game yet. He is still young and growing. Only Kobe can take over a game on that team, and to a lesser degree Pau also. But that is about it.

crc21209
03-09-2009, 12:22 PM
And until Bynum proves he can stay healthy and take over a playoff game or series, then we can't put him in this conversation just yet.

crc21209
03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
The Magic I think.

Howard can dominate any game.

Turkologo, like it or not is able to take over a game.

and Rashard Lewis is able to take over a game.

Nelson before he got injured.

and The Pistons
AI can take over, So can RIP, and so Can Sheed.

Sheed really hasnt produced this year, and AI seems to hurt than team more than help. It's not a coincidence the Pistons beat the Magic and Celtics with AI out.

BUMP
03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
the answer is nobody in the league including the Spurs have three people who can take over a game. Manu cant be stopped????? ROFL

Spurs9
03-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Pops Jabbar.

silverblackfan
03-09-2009, 12:30 PM
The Magic I think.

and The Pistons

I have to disagree. Lewis can be stopped and we have seen Bruce do it many a time. I haven't seen enough of Nelson judge, but being in Seattle I have seen plenty of Lewis. He's great, but stoppable.

SenorSpur
03-09-2009, 12:30 PM
None.

No wait. The Fakers have three, sort of. Kobe has multiple personalities. Does that count as three?

Baseline
03-09-2009, 12:31 PM
How many times has Bynum scored 30+ in a game? Maybe twice?

Please. This guy is only a "force" in the minds of Laker fans. But not in the real world.

Bynum is nowhere near being able to take over a game against decent competition.

silverblackfan
03-09-2009, 12:33 PM
None.

No wait. The Fakers have three, sort of. Kobe has multiple personalities. Does that count as three?

:toast I laughed initially, then started thinking your right. You don't know which Kobe your going to get, but he will be taking over the game for his team.
The trick is, is 1 at a time enough?

Flux451
03-09-2009, 12:49 PM
the answer is nobody in the league including the Spurs have three people who can take over a game. Manu cant be stopped????? ROFL

Manu does have games where he takes over. This year not as many due to injury. But last when he was beginning to peak he was averaging just short of 20 ppg.

What other players averaging that many points don't have the ability to take over a game?

Lady M
03-09-2009, 12:55 PM
but Spurs have Mason or Finley who can take the lasts shoots

kace
03-09-2009, 01:07 PM
take over on one single game ?

come on, half the starters of this league can take over one game. what makes you a special player is how many times you can do that, especially in PO, and what is your level in games when you don't take over.

Manu has done that many times at the highest level, Tim also but he's mostly great for his consistency, not specially taking over.

tony seems the most able to do that right now on the spurs, with tim and manu still able to do that of course.

romain.star
03-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Then the Spurs should breeze through the playoffs with all of these unstopable players, right?

Not only should they but they will. With healthy Manu and gooden, rested Duncan thomas and Bowen, Money mason, peaking Parker, post rookie wall hill, 0.500 3pts bonner... Add the best coach in the league... Tell me now who can beat such a team in a 7 games serie??

BUMP
03-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Manu does have games where he takes over. This year not as many due to injury. But last when he was beginning to peak he was averaging just short of 20 ppg.

What other players averaging that many points don't have the ability to take over a game?

there are a lot of players who if hot, can take over the game. thats why its such a tough question. its a matter of how often.

ive seen JET take over games, Howard take over games, Dirk take over games.

Aaron Brooks took over the game against us, Yao can do it, T-Mac sure as hell can.

hell, i remember a game where Kris fucking Humphries couldnt miss against us

anybody can get hot and do it, thats what im saying.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-09-2009, 01:24 PM
No we don't think like Laker fans do.

Actually the way you constantly bring up the Spurs title count, randomly cheap shot a team the person you're arguing with cheers for, and think of yourself as smarter and better than Mavs/Suns fans just because you cheer for a more successful team follows a lot of the stereotypes Laker fans have. I thought 21 Blessings was annoying but you're the Spurs equivalent to him.

Spursfan092120
03-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Ahem. How can Spurs forget the Lakers.

Since there is a "when healthy" qualifier - LA has 3 when Bynum is healthy. He was straight giving it to Timmy the last 2 times the teams met. Changed the whole game inside.
I knew a Laker fan was going to say this. They always have to chime in. Kobe is the man, no doubt. Pao can NOT take over a game, and neither can Bynum. They're decent..and great as a group..but they can't take it over. Without Kobe, you have nothing.

Galileo
03-09-2009, 01:50 PM
I have to admit that TP has really taken on a cold-blooded attitude to winning games. You could see in the Third qtr of the Suns game he found his shot and just took over. It was on Tony's back to back buckets that I thought to myself, "Oh shit. The Suns are done."
We know that Tim or Manu can take over a game in that there is nothing the opposing team can legally do to keep them from scoring 30-40 on them. Tony seems to have that ability now also.
Which brings me to my question. What other team really has 3 players who can do this?
:ihit

If you watched the 1995 ACC tournament when Randolph Childress went wild, you'd know that having Tim Duncan down low makes it easty for any decent guard to go wild.

I watched the '95 ACC tournament and it was the first time I saw Duncan play.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Eyes on the prize Suns fan....:lmao:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

hmmmm, responded with a cheap shot and 4 ring announcement, why am I not surprised. is that all you can say?

ALAMO-DEFENSE
03-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Popovich can't be stopped. Only J.Crawford can do it. lol

sonic21
03-09-2009, 02:26 PM
let's not forget the savior, when he'll be back for the PO, the spurs will have 4 players who can take over a game.

JUST BELIEVE

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-09-2009, 02:28 PM
What else do you need to say???? Nothing.

God damn you're a special type of dumb. Dirk4mvp already owned this argument to the point where even other Spurs fans were telling you to shut up and stop proving his point. Once again, you're proving the point that all you know how to say is some variation of "4 rings" or "Suns and Mavericks suck".

In case you didn't notice, the more intelligent Spurs fans on this board are capable of having a conversation that doesn't end up with "4 rings!!!".

silverblackfan
03-09-2009, 02:37 PM
there are a lot of players who if hot, can take over the game. thats why its such a tough question. its a matter of how often.

Aaron Brooks took over the game against us, Yao can do it, T-Mac sure as hell can.

I agree that a lot of NBA players can have a good game and seem to take over a game. The basket gets bigger and they can't seem to miss, but can this be turned on consistently? It seems to me that not many teams have many reliable TOTG guys

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Why are you even here?

To have intelligent conversation about basketball, something you seem to be incapable of doing.

Flux451
03-09-2009, 02:42 PM

I hear ya. JET as in Kenny smith? jk Jason Terry?

I think the NBA knows Manu isn't a player to F with, that is why he is important to our team, for games Tim or Parker are cold he can step it up...more then the times not.

Just as the NBA know Jason Terry is deadly in the fourth.

I am just proving you wrong cuz of your comment about MANu.

manufor3
03-09-2009, 03:31 PM
The Magic I think.

and The Pistons

lewis cant (u crazy?) but i agree with the pistons

Flux451
03-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Then the Spurs should breeze through the playoffs with all of these unstopable players, right?

NOt really...they aren't unstopable.

But all three have games were they are hard to stop.

Wizards have three(when healthy) that can take over but look at where they are.