PDA

View Full Version : Tent cities begin to spring up back up...

RandomGuy
03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
A tad ominous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1159677/Pictured-The-credit-crunch-tent-city-returned-haunt-America.html

Pictured: The credit crunch tent city which has returned to haunt America

A century and a half ago it was at the centre of the Californian gold rush, with hopeful prospectors pitching their tents along the banks of the American River.Today, tents are once again springing up in the city of Sacramento. But this time it is for people with no hope and no prospects.With America's economy in freefall and its housing market in crisis, California's state capital has become home to a tented city for the dispossessed.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/05/article-1159677-03C00321000005DC-173_634x312.jpg
Rich and poor: The tents and other makeshift homes have sprung up in the shadow of Sacramento's skyscrapers

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/05/article-1159677-03C00365000005DC-555_634x418.jpg
Shanty town: The tent city is already home to dozens of people, many left without jobs because of the credit crunch

Those who have lost their jobs and homes and have nowhere else to go are constructing makeshift shelters on the site, which covers several acres.As many as 50 people a week are turning up and the authorities estimate that the tent city is now home to more than 1,200 people

In a state more known for its fantastic wealth and the glitz and glamour of Hollywood, the images have shocked many Americans.Conditions are primitive, with no water supply or proper sanitation.Many residents have to walk up to three miles to buy bottled water from petrol stations or convenience stores.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/05/article-1159677-03C00526000005DC-489_634x360.jpg
Ben Cardwell, carries supplies to his tent at a homeless settlement

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/05/article-1159677-03C003DD000005DC-125_634x432.jpg
Tammy Day, a homeless woman, cooks potatoes on a campfire at the site

At other times, charity workers arrive to hand out free food and other supplies. Joan Burke, who campaigns on behalf of the homeless, said the images of Americans living in tents would shock many. 'It should be an eye- opener for everybody,' she said. 'But we shouldn't just be shocked, we should take action to change things, because it's unacceptable. 'It is unacceptable that in this day and age we have gone back to a situation like we had during the Great Depression.'

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/05/article-1159677-03C003FB000005DC-702_634x371.jpg
Homeless: Keith and Tammy Day cook dinner

Authorities in Sacramento, where Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has his office,
admit the sight of families living in such poverty is not pretty.
But faced with their own budget crisis and a £30billion deficit, they have had little choice but to consider making the tent city a permanent fixture.
The city's mayor Kevin Johnson said: 'I can't say tent cities are the answer to the homeless population in Sacramento.'

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/05/article-1159677-03C2363E000005DC-346_634x483.jpg
Shanty towns sprung up during the Great Depression as people lost their jobs and homes

As America's most powerful state California had the same gross domestic output as Italy and Spain, but it has been among the hardest hit by the recession and housing crisis.Foreclosure rates last year rocketed by 327 per cent, with up to 500 people a day losing their home. Coupled with massive job cuts that have seen one in ten workers laid off, many people who once enjoyed a middle class existence are now forced into third world conditions. Former car salesman Corvin and his wife Tena are among the newest residents of the tent city.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/05/article-1159677-03C00530000005DC-504_634x426.jpg
Tent city residents queue up to receive supplies handed out by a local charity

The couple, who are in their fifties, lost their home and jobs around the same time. With homeless shelters full in Sacramento, they had little choice but to use what savings they had left to buy a tent. The couple admit they have yet to tell their grown-up children about their hand-to-mouth existence. Tena said: 'I have a 35-year-old son, and he doesn't know. I call him, about once a month and on holidays, to let him know that I'm well and healthy. 'He would love me anyway, but I don't want to worry him.' The shame of Sacramento's tent city was given a much wider airing after it was featured on the Oprah Winfrey show which is watched by more than 40million people a week. Many of those who have found themselves homeless worked in the building trade. But with no new home builds and as many as 80,000 people losing their job every month, there is little chance of employment. Governor Schwarzenegger last month approved a budget to address the state's deficit, ending a three-month stalemate among lawmakers. As well as increasing taxes, he has imposed drastic cuts in education, healthcare and services that will affect everyone living in the state. Many of those living in the tent city are pinning their hopes on President Obama's $787billion stimulus package which is aimed at rescuing the economy and creating jobs. The President has also announced plans to save the homes of nine million people from foreclosure by restructuring their mortgage debt

----------------------------------------

FWIW.

I have taken to giving small amount to our local utility assistance fund. Our family's budget is pretty tight, but I figure there are those who probably need it worse than we do.--RG

Frenzy
03-09-2009, 02:44 PM
wow... that's sad. Cmon timmy were are going on a permanent camping trip.

Trainwreck2100
03-09-2009, 03:49 PM
as long as they aint finding their way over here.

ashbeeigh
03-09-2009, 03:53 PM
I saw this on the Today show this morning. It was shocking. It just makes me so thankful for the things I have, and also thankful that San Antonio hasn't been as badly hit by this economy.

BacktoBasics
03-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Seems like a bunch of whiners to me. If you're so down on your luck and things are so bad that you've relegated yourself to living out of a tent then why not simply move. Take every last cent and get yourself in a city that at least can employ you at the local McDonalds or Janitorial business. I refuse to believe that they are left without anything equitable in the blink of an eye. At some point they had stuff to sell....a tv, stereo, bed or some basic furniture that could have equated to at least a few hundred bucks to buy a train ticket to a better town. At least pick up the phone and call around the country and land yourself a shit job that could get you buy. Buy your bus ticket and sleep in a shelter until you can get enough going to get an efficiency apartment.

This entire thing seems like either an exercise in stupidity or glorified homeless people pretending to be down on their luck.

There are income controlled housing all over this country. The internet is free at the library and they could fill out fast food applications all day long. I'm not buying this bullshit.

RandomGuy
03-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Seems like a bunch of whiners to me. If you're so down on your luck and things are so bad that you've relegated yourself to living out of a tent then why not simply move. Take every last cent and get yourself in a city that at least can employ you at the local McDonalds or Janitorial business. I refuse to believe that they are left without anything equitable in the blink of an eye. At some point they had stuff to sell....a tv, stereo, bed or some basic furniture that could have equated to at least a few hundred bucks to buy a train ticket to a better town. At least pick up the phone and call around the country and land yourself a shit job that could get you buy. Buy your bus ticket and sleep in a shelter until you can get enough going to get an efficiency apartment.

This entire thing seems like either an exercise in stupidity or glorified homeless people pretending to be down on their luck.

There are income controlled housing all over this country. The internet is free at the library and they could fill out fast food applications all day long. I'm not buying this bullshit.

Depends on how sudden it is for starters.

It also depends on how much those shit jobs pay.

If you are banking $6.60/hr after taxes (soc sec and medicare) that translates roughly into $1300 per month, full time (40 hrs/week)

Apartment, $700 month, utilities $150/month, food $200 month, health care, clothes etc... If you had ANY debt at all, the shit job would still not pay enough to keep a roof over your head, especially if you have kids.

I dunno, don't you think it might be better to ask somebody to spend a little bit of time figuring out why they are there, rather than jump to conclusions, and make policy decisions based on bad guesses?

peewee's lovechild
03-09-2009, 04:25 PM
It's hard for me to feel for these people.

I was born into poverty and I live paycheck to paycheck now. None of this economy bullshit is new to me. I've been in a bad economy for over 30 years now.

I don't get why people like this bitch so much. There are jobs out there. You may not want to do them, but they are there.

I've been pretty much working non-stop since I was 7 years old. I started out working with my family in the fields. I gaurantee you that if these people made the effort to look somewhere other than their city, they'd be able to find jobs.

jack sommersett
03-09-2009, 04:26 PM
I don't see the problem here. It's nothing a few bulldozers can't take care of.

peewee's lovechild
03-09-2009, 04:26 PM

Yep.

peewee's lovechild
03-09-2009, 04:27 PM
I bet you these are the same people that made fun of kids and family members who bothered to educate themselves.

Fuck, some of my family members called me a "nerd" for going to college. They now live in the projects bitching about being poor.

Fuck them, fuck all of them.

BacktoBasics
03-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Depends on how sudden it is for starters.

It also depends on how much those shit jobs pay.

If you are banking $6.60/hr after taxes (soc sec and medicare) that translates roughly into $1300 per month, full time (40 hrs/week)

Apartment, $700 month, utilities $150/month, food $200 month, health care, clothes etc... If you had ANY debt at all, the shit job would still not pay enough to keep a roof over your head, especially if you have kids.

I dunno, don't you think it might be better to ask somebody to spend a little bit of time figuring out why they are there, rather than jump to conclusions, and make policy decisions based on bad guesses?If you are that down on your luck you'd qualify for food stamps. An efficiency apartment could run as little 200 a month. When I met my wife her brother lived in an income controlled rent complex and had a two bedroom two bathroom for 425 a month. It wasn't the ghetto either. When your income dips below poverty your children qualify for health care. All of this is temporary. A means to an end.

A car salesman living out of a tent is a compilation of laziness and pure stupidity. There are many many many avenues available at no cost to assist the unemployed.

Chief
03-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I'd rather help someone crawl their way out of poverty then to just simply give them handouts.

as for you people that are saying they are a bunch of whiners n stuff, I hope you guy's never get in that situation. Sure they could do this or do that, but nobody knows what they're going through unless ur in their situation. As far as moving to other cities to find work ? they're living in tent, how the fuck they move to another city ? walk ? everything cost money.

BacktoBasics
03-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I'd rather help someone crawl their way out of poverty then to just simply give them handouts.

as for you people that are saying they are a bunch of whiners n stuff, I hope you guy's never get in that situation. Sure they could do this or do that, but nobody knows what they're going through unless ur in their situation. As far as moving to other cities to find work ? they're living in tent, how the fuck they move to another city ? walk ? everything cost money.We've all been there. Some of us are willing to dig our way out and others prefer to wallow in a tent.

No way they went from living like a normal person in an apartment with clothes and a TV and some furniture to having nothing and living in a tent. That shit rarely happens overnight. At some point there was something...anything that could have been pawned or sold.

Worst case they can collect cans and work the web out of the library until they land a minimum wage job and buy the 150 dollar bus ticket. Hell I could beg my way to a bus ticket in a weeks time. Pack it up and move. Until then apply for emergency food stamps to feed yourself and find a shelter with a shower.

There is no excuse for this kind of living. There are so many programs and handouts available to prevent this kind of lifestyle.

Sympathizing with these degenerates only fuels their desire to continue their "woe as me" attitude.

PM5K
03-09-2009, 04:51 PM
I believe I saw the same segment on the Today Show a few days ago.

One of the things I heard mentioned a few times were parents that did not want to ask their children for help.

SWALLOW YOUR FUCKING PRIDE!

They said they didn't want to give their children an additional burden.

IF YOU RAISED YOUR KIDS RIGHT THEY WOULD BEND OVER BACKWARDS TO KEEP THEIR PARENTS OUT OF A TENT!

Too bad none of these people are on the public library internet reading this.....

BacktoBasics
03-09-2009, 04:53 PM
survival > pride

mookie2001
03-09-2009, 04:53 PM
sounds like fun for a few months

then it would just get old

RandomGuy
03-09-2009, 04:58 PM
We've all been there. Some of us are willing to dig our way out and others prefer to wallow in a tent.

No way they went from living like a normal person in an apartment with clothes and a TV and some furniture to having nothing and living in a tent. That shit rarely happens overnight. At some point there was something...anything that could have been pawned or sold.

Worst case they can collect cans and work the web out of the library until they land a minimum wage job and buy the 150 dollar bus ticket. Hell I could beg my way to a bus ticket in a weeks time. Pack it up and move. Until then apply for emergency food stamps to feed yourself and find a shelter with a shower.

There is no excuse for this kind of living. There are so many programs and handouts available to prevent this kind of lifestyle.

Sympathizing with these degenerates only fuels their desire to continue their "woe as me" attitude.

I will lose some of my "liberal" cred and say I would tend to agree for the most part.

If you are really highly motivated, you can find SOME job somewhere, and there is always SOME help.

BUT

I would still want to get some sense of what the real reasons are for the problem, and not want to fully jump to conclusions before that.

AND

A lot of that help tends to be harder to get than most realize from what I understand. A lot of people simply give up on waiting and filling out forms, then waiting some more.

RandomGuy
03-09-2009, 05:00 PM
sounds like fun for a few months

then it would just get old

Dude, if I could convince my wife to let the family live in a tent for just a year, we could pay off the majority of our debt.

I was in the army and would be fairly comfortable for a year doing that, but she would hate it. The kids (two boys 5 and 2) would probably love it, aside from having to give up most of their toys.

I have half seriously asked her about it. She... declined, to put it mildly :lol

BacktoBasics
03-09-2009, 05:04 PM
A lot of that help tends to be harder to get than most realize from what I understand. A lot of people simply give up on waiting and filling out forms, then waiting some more.Unemployment and job placement take a little work but emergency food stamps can be had the very same day. That would at least get them by temporarily until some additional funds can be located. Shelters are free and rarely turn people away. Day labor is always an option.

mookie2001
03-09-2009, 05:09 PM
i would try it if hard times became serial hard times

CuckingFunt
03-09-2009, 05:16 PM
We've all been there. Some of us are willing to dig our way out and others prefer to wallow in a tent.

Pack it up and move where? Buy a bus ticket to what destination? You think showing up in a random city with no money and no possessions is going to get you into a better situation than a tent in Sacramento?

Believe me, I think that it is extremely important to consider personal responsibility. If any of these people could have made sacrifices to avoid homelessness and chose not to because of pride, that's their bad. After working in property management for ten years, I am certainly familiar with the fact that some people just make foolish decisions and act irresponsibly.

That being said, it's foolish to assume that people in this situation are inherently lazy. Are there tons of programs out there to help people deal with hardships? Sure. But not everyone is aware of those programs, not everyone qualifies for those programs, and there is still a lengthy application process to go through. A process that becomes even more lengthy and more difficult if you're trying to deal with childcare or maintain employment or prepare to move at the same time. A job in this market, no matter how crappy, isn't a guarantee either. I've been trying for months to find a brainless, minimum wage, retail job in which I can pick up a few hours and stretch the money I'm living on, but I haven't been hired yet.

mookie2001
03-09-2009, 05:23 PM
property management ranks with IRS collection, tow-truck driver and narc as lowdown heartless a-hole job

no offense

CuckingFunt
03-09-2009, 05:28 PM
property management ranks with IRS collection, tow-truck driver and narc as lowdown heartless a-hole job

no offense

None taken. I hated doing it, but worked for family and got stuck.

peewee's lovechild
03-09-2009, 05:32 PM

as for you people that are saying they are a bunch of whiners n stuff, I hope you guy's never get in that situation. Sure they could do this or do that, but nobody knows what they're going through unless ur in their situation. As far as moving to other cities to find work ? they're living in tent, how the fuck they move to another city ? walk ? everything cost money.

Meh.

Maybe it's just me, but I never expect for anyone to give me hand out and for the government pay for my way of life.

I'm not lazy. I make my own way in life.

But, hey, if you're happy having others do for you what you can do for yourself . . . more power to you.

peewee's lovechild
03-09-2009, 05:39 PM

I agree.

You don't go from a normal life to homeless overnight.

Dude, there was this guy on the cleaning staff working at UTSA who was killed by some stupid cunts while he was working on his taco stand. When they printed his story on the paper, it turned out that the guy had three jobs.

He had three fucking jobs. Three fucking jobs!!

Meanwhile, these people can't find one??

I know, I know . . . they're in Sacramento, not San Antonio. But, you're going to tell me that you can't find anything, not a damn thing, in the city??

No one needs a dish washer? No one needs someone to wash their car? No one needs their lawn mowed? No one needs to have their garbage picked up? No one needs to hire someone to flip burgers, fry chicken, bake pizza, or any of that stuff?

Come on!

peewee's lovechild
03-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Fuck, there was an article I read on CNN (tried finding it, but couldn't) a few weeks ago that talked about some guy that used to make over $150,000 a year but is now working shoveling shit at some zoo or something like that.

God damn, if you really want to dig yourself out of the whole, you'll do anything to make that happen.

ashbeeigh
03-09-2009, 05:53 PM
For you tent city haters have you seen the waiting list to get into to low income / rent controlled housing? Jesus Christ. I have heard people say they waiting 6 months to get into Cassiano Homes.

Maybe these people are waiting to get help. How judgemental. You don't know their stories (well more then what you've read here).

And other government programs, food stamps, medicare, medicaid, take as long to get into. The system needs to get fixed. We live in a broken system.

And CF is right, 100%. I hope you get that mindless job you're looking for!

mookie2001
03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
im sure some of those people in tents have jobs too
"dont scoff from a tahoe"

thats kind of what my dad used to say

Chief
03-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I agree.

You don't go from a normal life to homeless overnight.

Dude, there was this guy on the cleaning staff working at UTSA who was killed by some stupid cunts while he was working on his taco stand. When they printed his story on the paper, it turned out that the guy had three jobs.

He had three fucking jobs. Three fucking jobs!!

Meanwhile, these people can't find one??

I know, I know . . . they're in Sacramento, not San Antonio. But, you're going to tell me that you can't find anything, not a damn thing, in the city??

No one needs a dish washer? No one needs someone to wash their car? No one needs their lawn mowed? No one needs to have their garbage picked up? No one needs to hire someone to flip burgers, fry chicken, bake pizza, or any of that stuff?

Come on!

you know the funny thing, they were showing on CNN this story
turns out a lot of them have family members. They're just too proud to call them for help, so yeah some people are just too proud to ask for help.

Clandestino
03-09-2009, 07:04 PM
ask many of the mexicans washing dishes at your favorite restaurant? they have 2 jobs and may live with multiple families...

chode_regulator
03-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Fuck, there was an article I read on CNN (tried finding it, but couldn't) a few weeks ago that talked about some guy that used to make over $150,000 a year but is now working shoveling shit at some zoo or something like that.

God damn, if you really want to dig yourself out of the whole, you'll do anything to make that happen.

Yeah I saw that on 60 minutes i think. It was some couple that used to live in Beverly Hills or something, had a Mercedes etc. Now they live in some shitty camper that is like a couple hundred square feet and take care of a farm.

I have no emotion towards all the morons who took out multiple loans against their house, bought houses they can't afford, charged everything for their kids bc they paid all tehir money to mortgage payment. They got what was coming and are now a large part of why the economy sucks.
Now the people that lost money in the Stanford group bullshit and the Madoff bullshit, I feel for them.

btw 6.60*160 is not 1300 dollars

whottt
03-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Livin' in a tent wouldn't be too bad...it's the city part that makes it suck. It's like having 50 dogs instead of 1...gets really hard to not step in shit.

RandomGuy
03-09-2009, 11:10 PM

no offense

Depends on the property.

My wife has done it for years and it is possible not to be a dick and to work out of the apartment.

Not a bad gig.

CuckingFunt
03-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Depends on the property.

My wife has done it for years and it is possible not to be a dick and to work out of the apartment.

Not a bad gig.

It is possible to not be a dick, but unless you're blessed with nothing but great properties in great condition owned by great people in great neighborhoods that allow you to be selective and rent to only great tenants... it is a largely unrewarding job.

Our office was relatively small (the most we ever had at one time was about 250 doors) and we prided ourselves on being fair and ethical with all of our tenants, but you're still often faced with some of the really ugly bits and pieces of humanity. We had prospective owners who wanted us to only rent to certain races (we refused, for the record), we had people with small children who put a higher priority on their drug habit than on providing shelter for their families, and the list goes on and on. Enough of those phone calls over a ten year period, and the whole thing just gets depressing.

RandomGuy
03-10-2009, 12:04 AM
It is possible to not be a dick, but unless you're blessed with nothing but great properties in great condition owned by great people in great neighborhoods that allow you to be selective and rent to only great tenants... it is a largely unrewarding job.

Our office was relatively small (the most we ever had at one time was about 250 doors) and we prided ourselves on being fair and ethical with all of our tenants, but you're still often faced with some of the really ugly bits and pieces of humanity. We had prospective owners who wanted us to only rent to certain races (we refused, for the record), we had people with small children who put a higher priority on their drug habit than on providing shelter for their families, and the list goes on and on. Enough of those phone calls over a ten year period, and the whole thing just gets depressing.

That kind of thing can be wearing. Our properties are relatively decent, and the owners are ethical people who fix their stuff when it breaks.

Extra Stout
03-10-2009, 07:23 AM
I figure that in the worst economic basket cases like California, these tent cities/shantytowns will become a permanent fixture. California is effectively bankrupt and simply cannot provide assistance to any new homeless. The beds are full.

As the years pass, those people will find scrap materials to build up their shanties. At some point, they even stumble upon some masonry! Then the shanties grow two or three stories high. They develop rudimentary streets and drainage ditches. At that point, California can be proud to have achieved the level of civilization of a Mexico or a Brazil.

We should expect to see similar developments in other California cities, as well as in places like Nevada, Oregon, and South Carolina. In Michigan and Rhode Island people would die from the cold if they tried to live that way, so they'll have to move somewhere warm that has a shantytown.

It's all just part of our descent into the Third World, which ultimately will end in the insolvency, implosion, and fragmentation of the United States, and resultant wars over resources between the successor states.

Texas won't have it as bad for a while, at least until it becomes ground zero for a huge oil war between the Latino southwestern state and a neo-Confederacy that in all likelihood will be keen on the ethnic cleansing of non-whites.

So, in summary, your future probably involves misery, destruction, war, and horrific death. The days when people had the luxury of living in tent cities will seem like a happy memory when most of us are huddling in ruins or migrating to far-flung refugee camps. Enjoy your day! :)

BacktoBasics
03-10-2009, 08:23 AM
I'll address a few things here.

I'm not suggesting that they just hop on a bus to nowheresville and expect employment. I'm suggesting that they go to the local library and contact every fast food establishment out there and secure a destination and job. Then purchase a ticket and live out of a shelter until they can save up a small portion of funds.

Food stamps can be had same day. I'll say it again "it can be had same day". I agree that some programs take a while to set up. Particularly healthcare. It took my wife about 6 working days to make arrangements for her uncle.

Beg for bus fare. Get the food stamps. Secure a location with a job in place. Purchase dry goods and a can opener. Purchase bus ticket. Sleep in a shelter until you save enough money to be back on your feet.

Shelters in a town where people are living out of tents may or may not be full but I guarantee that shelters in a town that is in better fiscal shape will have beds available.

Extra Stout
03-10-2009, 09:08 AM
"Food stamps can be had same day. I'll say it again "it can be had same day". "

I think the wait in California is more like one or two months. State government over there has fallen into utter dysfunction because of its budget problems.

RandomGuy
03-10-2009, 09:16 AM
I figure that in the worst economic basket cases like California, these tent cities/shantytowns will become a permanent fixture. California is effectively bankrupt and simply cannot provide assistance to any new homeless. The beds are full.

As the years pass, those people will find scrap materials to build up their shanties. At some point, they even stumble upon some masonry! Then the shanties grow two or three stories high. They develop rudimentary streets and drainage ditches. At that point, California can be proud to have achieved the level of civilization of a Mexico or a Brazil.

We should expect to see similar developments in other California cities, as well as in places like Nevada, Oregon, and South Carolina. In Michigan and Rhode Island people would die from the cold if they tried to live that way, so they'll have to move somewhere warm that has a shantytown.

It's all just part of our descent into the Third World, which ultimately will end in the insolvency, implosion, and fragmentation of the United States, and resultant wars over resources between the successor states.

Texas won't have it as bad for a while, at least until it becomes ground zero for a huge oil war between the Latino southwestern state and a neo-Confederacy that in all likelihood will be keen on the ethnic cleansing of non-whites.

So, in summary, your future probably involves misery, destruction, war, and horrific death. The days when people had the luxury of living in tent cities will seem like a happy memory when most of us are huddling in ruins or migrating to far-flung refugee camps. Enjoy your day! :)

Living up to your tagline, I see. :lol

Let's assume, for a moment, you are actually wrong about that.

How will you know you are truly wrong about your rather severely pessimistic predictions, and that things will actually work out without such a cataclysm?

edit:

Just in case it isn't clear the above post should be taken as being respectful and intellectually curious. I re-read it and it could be taken as being snarky, which was not my intention at all.

peewee's lovechild
03-10-2009, 09:27 AM

:lol:lol:lol

The real Monctezuma's Revenge!!

BacktoBasics
03-10-2009, 09:56 AM
"Food stamps can be had same day. I'll say it again "it can be had same day". "

I think the wait in California is more like one or two months. State government over there has fallen into utter dysfunction because of its budget problems.Food stamps roughly take a month to get set up for. However emergency food stamps can be had with a single form application and issued the same day. I can't say that I feel like digging for the particulars but this program is available across the entire US.

Above and beyond all of this its rare if not totally improbable that these people can't find work at a local fast food joint. Even in the worst economy economical fast food joints hire regularly. This people simply aren't willing to go the extra mile to find work because they're too busy feeling sorry for themselves.

BacktoBasics
03-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Here this is the longest wait I could find.

What is the purpose of this service?

Expedited/Emergency Food Stamps are Food Stamp benefits that are ready in 5 days or less from the date you apply.

Who can receive these services?

You may be able to get Expedited Food Stamps if:

* Your monthly income, cash and bank accounts are less than your rent or mortgage plus your utility costs, OR
* Your monthly income is less than $150 and your cash and bank accounts are not more than $100, OR
* At least one person in your household is a migrant farm worker and your cash and bank accounts are not more than $100.
* You must have valid identification. We prefer photo identification. We will also take other kinds of identification.

If you cannot wait to speak to a caseworker, the receptionist will make an appointment for you for the next day. If the office cannot complete the application on the same day, then the receptionist will make appointment for you for the next day. This appointment is to see if you are eligible for Expedited/Emergency Food Stamps.

AlamoSpursFan
03-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Wow. Everybody in this thread spelled Suckramento wrong...

:lol