PDA

View Full Version : The Official StreetBall Thread

Red Hawk #21
03-09-2009, 04:07 PM
This thread is for anyone who plays Basketball in their spare time. Tell us about some of your experiences, what you're favorite moves are, what you hate when you play, and what Nba player you think you may be similar to. Discuss.

bdictjames
03-09-2009, 04:11 PM
I hate streetball.

Red Hawk #21
03-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Personally, almost every day during the summer I play ball. What I hate the most when Im playing is when I om on a fastbreak all by myself and someone runs their fastest, most of the time they don't even go for the Shotblock, they just come to foul me while Im in midair.

That shit gets me so angry, I remember a couple of summers I got really hurt when some kid leveled me on a fastbreak layup attempt. Since that day I never try to layup the ball on fastbreaks anymore, If I get a chance Im throwing down as strong as I can with two hands.

Red Hawk #21
03-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I hate streetball.

Why? Do you suck at ball? Or you can't take the physicalities of Streetball?

hater
03-09-2009, 04:17 PM
LMAO a streetballer posting on the internet?

monosylab1k
03-09-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't really play "street ball" I just play at the gym. The only thing I like about street ball is being able to blame my horrible shooting on the double-rim or on the wind blowing my shot off course.

bdictjames
03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Why? Do you suck at ball? Or you can't take the physicalities of Streetball?
I think its retarded, honestly. All showboating and no substance. Does it even have any rules? I find slamball (do they still do that in the US?) more entertaining.

BUMP
03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
IMO streetball is really good for the development of a winner.

i know people will laugh but it teaches mental toughness and if u play with the right people you will get the softness out of you so when the real game comes up, ur not scared of physical play and are more willing to take over a game. thats my input.

i mean what's tougher? playing against a bunch of white boys in a UIL game with refs, or against a bunch of inner city NYC kids on a playground with NO RULES!

BUMP
03-09-2009, 04:19 PM
not saying im great at streetball or anything but i do play at the gym a lot with a streetball like atmosphere

hater
03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
IMO streetball is really good for the development of a winner.

i mean what's tougher? playing against a bunch of white boys in a UIL game with refs, or against a bunch of inner city NYC kids on a playground with NO RULES!

mental toughness has nothing to do with your environment. It's all within you. A guy living at a church can be more mentally tough than a thug living on the streets.

monosylab1k
03-09-2009, 04:22 PM
are we talking like actual And1 Mixtape streetball? Because I've never actually seen that go down anywhere except when I visited Rucker Park a few years ago.

I assume we're just talking about regular ass pickup ball.

Red Hawk #21
03-09-2009, 04:23 PM
LMAO a streetballer posting on the internet?

Whats wrong with that? I love basketball, plain and simple. Watching it, playing it, talking about it. And I think others on this site, would agree with me.

Red Hawk #21
03-09-2009, 04:24 PM
are we talking like actual And1 Mixtape streetball? Because I've never actually seen that go down anywhere except when I visited Rucker Park a few years ago.

I assume we're just talking about regular ass pickup ball.

Yeah, just regular pickup ball.

hater
03-09-2009, 04:27 PM
ok then why do you call it Streetball with a capital S?

it's just plain old bball

bdictjames
03-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh, in that case I play it all the time.

Red Hawk #21
03-09-2009, 04:29 PM
ok then why do you call it Streetball with a capital S?

it's just plain old bball

Just edited it.

monosylab1k
03-09-2009, 04:32 PM
The one thing that really irritates me is when you're playing some 40-50 something year old dudes who constantly cheat like a MF'er.

Happens all the time, their team only scores like 5 buckets but somehow they're calling game insisting they have 12.

Red Hawk #21
03-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Another thing I hate is when I do a kick ass-move, lets say I do a Crossover followed by a spin and then a layup. Then some sucker from the other team comes running over "Hey!, that was a travel!!" Then the other guys on his team start agreeing, thing is they all knew it was a legit move and if the other sucker hadn't said anything they all would have said "Hey, nice move there kid". :bang

DeadlyDynasty
03-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I keep my white ass parked behind the 3-point line like I should. For some reason I'm near-automatic with any baseline J, but horribly inconsistent when facing the hoop...never understood that.

bdictjames
03-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I hate that too. Sometimes you think that they're really that stupid, can't count, or just can't remember things.

I hate those that talk too much and are losing.

hater
03-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Just edited it.

ok.

I love playing bball but I must say I suck at it. I can only go to my right and have a horrible midshooting game. My left hand is worthless, might as well play with it tied behind my back.

So I concentrate on defense and rebounding. So I am pretty decent at that. I picture myself as a young Bruce Bowen. My 3pt shot ain't too horrible.

yeah, I suck but I love playing ball

hater
03-09-2009, 04:37 PM
The one thing that really irritates me is when you're playing some 40-50 something year old dudes who constantly cheat like a MF'er.

Happens all the time, their team only scores like 5 buckets but somehow they're calling game insisting they have 12.

I hate those old motherfuckers!

they play rough on your but when you play it back, they start getting pissed and want you to give them senior citizen treatment. fuck them.

Red Hawk #21
03-09-2009, 04:38 PM

The old dudes I play with usually just level people. Seriously these guys do it all : Foot under the shooter, throw elbows on rebounds, blatant pushes on layup attempts, they'll trip you when you try to drive. Its basically just wrestling with a basketball lol. And they always seem to think they never commited a foul, and the worst part is the moment you touch them they'll start whining. :downspin:

DeadlyDynasty
03-09-2009, 04:38 PM

+1
and sometimes when you call them out on it they say, "it's just a game," or, "are we really keeping track?" That and people who whine about fouls when they go in the lane--i hate that on ALL b-ball levels

monosylab1k
03-09-2009, 04:40 PM
I hate those old motherfuckers!

they play rough on your but when you play it back, they start getting pissed and want you to give them senior citizen treatment. fuck them.

oh yeah I hate that too. They call foul on every damn ticky tack thing but hack like crazy on the other end.

hater
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
I love playing vs. tall younger kids though. You can abuse the shit out of them in the paint and block the hell out of their shots eventhough they are way taller

monosylab1k
03-09-2009, 04:42 PM
That and people who whine about fouls when they go in the lane

I don't mind when they call foul cuz most of the time people do tend to hack, but I hate it when they get all pissy about it. Just call your damn foul, check it up, and move on.

DeadlyDynasty
03-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Another thing I hate (especially when playing w/ the older crowd) is that there's always some alpha-male douchebag trying to be a player-coach and tell you what you should do or how to run the offense.

DeadlyDynasty

I don't mind when they call foul cuz most of the time people do tend to hack, but I hate it when they get all pissy about it. Just call your damn foul, check it up, and move on.

yeah some people turn into real vaginas when they get fouled

Red Hawk #21
There's this kid named Jake I absolutely hate playing with. If this guys on your team its a guaranteed loss. This kid simply shoots every time he gets the ball, and Im not exaggerating this kid shoots every time he gets it. Even though the kid is a decent midrange shooter he insists on shooting from the 3point line and shooting 20 foot jumpers. God, I hate people who play like that.

hater
03-09-2009, 04:46 PM
I hate when motherfuckers yell "and 1"

DeadlyDynasty
03-09-2009, 04:48 PM

:lol that just makes you wanna foul 'em so much harder the next time

Red Hawk #21
03-09-2009, 04:48 PM

I hate when motherfuckers yell "and 1" and there is no one near them.

bdictjames
03-09-2009, 04:49 PM
The old dudes I play with usually just level people. Seriously these guys do it all : Foot under the shooter, throw elbows on rebounds, blatant pushes on layup attempts, they'll trip you when you try to drive. Its basically just wrestling with a basketball lol. And they always seem to think they never commited a foul, and the worst part is the moment you touch them they'll start whining. :downspin:
Don't forget grabbing your jersey/shorts. They do that all the time.

hater
03-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I also hate when greasy motherfuckers insist on playing skins, where there really is no need. then you have to get all their greasy disgusting sweat all over you

jag
03-09-2009, 04:54 PM
I played quite a bit in memphis over the summer...those were some ghetto ass games.

You can get maybe 4 or 5 good possessions in and then your game will go to shit.

I'd much rather play here in chattanooga at the YMCA or at the school and get a few good games in than play some of the ghetto trash in memphis or down in Atlanta.

Red Hawk #21
03-09-2009, 04:56 PM
There's some dude who's like 6'7 or 6'8 that plays with us. This guy's only move is the hook shot. I don't mind him shooting hook shots because he has great size for pickup ball, but this guy takes it too far. Im talking about 19 foot hook shots, 20 foot skyhooks, 3 point hook shots. That shit looks so stupid.

SpursDynasty
03-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Streetball in my experience = a bunch of guys wanting to play a one-on-one game instead of a team game, a bunch of jump shot bricks. Waste of time.

mardigan
03-09-2009, 05:07 PM
I love playing, try to play 3 or 4 times a week at this outdoor park down the street from me. There is usually pretty damn good competition, and most of the times its 17 or 18 year old kids from the local high school team playing, so it helps me keep my game pretty solid. My strengths are ball handling and shooting. I'm also pretty decent at driving, but not to good at finishing. I usually like to pass the ball off once I get in the lane. I'm an ok rebounder, but should be better for my size. I cant jump worth a damn either, and really need to work on my d.

Red Hawk #21
03-09-2009, 05:18 PM
The thing with the young kids I play with is that there is so much immaturity, they showboat so much and always seem to have that smug look when they do something. And also younger kids are the Kings of Overdribbling imho. The thing with the older guys is that they play basketball as if its backyard wrestling, but most of the times we still have good games.

Red Hawk #21
03-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Oh shit, almost forgot :

fgZ-KQKrzZ0

BUMP
03-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Streetball in my experience = a bunch of guys wanting to play a one-on-one game instead of a team game, a bunch of jump shot bricks. Waste of time.

:lol

ill admit im that guy. the chucker/ball hog who shoots 20% yet doesnt stop shooting, the 1 who will bark and tell everyone else what to do. the one who doesnt really play defense except reach and hack and then argues and says it was all ball.:lmao

im one of the older guys at Tech and when i first came here, thats what i had to put up with, so now the roles have reversed. :lol

DeadlyDynasty
03-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Oh shit, almost forgot :

fgZ-KQKrzZ0

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Xylus
03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm a regular at the University of Arizona recreation center. I usually play about 2-3 hours a day, maybe 4-5 days a week. I love it.

I'm a 5'11" shooting guard type. I'm a midrange shooter, decent at taking it to the rack, and I've been developing a pretty solid 3-point shot. If I had to liken my game to a current NBA player, I'd say Manu Ginobili is a good model. I'm not a strong player, though, so I have to get everything with speed and finesse.

I'm a streaky player, too. If I get hot, I'm pretty unstoppable. If I go cold, I can't hit shit. It has a lot to do with how much confidence I play with.

lil_penny
03-09-2009, 06:04 PM
i play on the regular at 24 hour fitness.. im 6'1 and cant jump for shit so sometimes if i get lucky i can sneak in and play a game at a middle school where the hoops adjustable so i can dunk hahahaha.

kcplayboi_26
03-09-2009, 06:21 PM

hahaha thats me

dirk4mvp
03-09-2009, 06:22 PM
I played quite a bit in memphis over the summer...those were some ghetto ass games.

Where did you play at?

dirk4mvp
03-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Probably the worst thing about 'streetball' is guys who see you coming up and think you're gonna suck cuz you're white, they end up getting beat by whitey, and then want to talk shit after.

MI21
03-09-2009, 09:03 PM
People that camp in the keyway for upwards of 6/7 seconds. That's just rude. Also, people that back right off you so no dribble moves can work and they force you to just shoot jumpshots. That's just them not being bothered to play real defense.

DeadlyDynasty
03-09-2009, 09:06 PM
People that camp in the keyway for upwards of 6/7 seconds. That's just rude. Also, people that back right off you so no dribble moves can work and they force you to just shoot jumpshots. That's just them not being bothered to play real defense.

That or they don't think you can hit the shot. That's the defense I play after a couple games when I'm gassed

monosylab1k
03-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I couldn't think of a player whose game I resemble most for a while, but I think if I had to pick a guy, it's Brandon Bass. Good midrange game, strength/size to muscle around in the post but I don't get enough rebounds for a guy my size, streaky outside shooter. Terrible ballhandler, but I'm good at passing to a shooter if I get double-teamed in the post. I also feel my biggest strength is my ball fakes, I can usually get my guy to bite and then make a move.

My problem is generally I only play well in certain matchups. If I have a strength advantage on my man, I can get my spots on the floor and light him up, but if he's stronger than me, I'm basically invisible for the entire game or I just play like total shit. If I'm on a decent team I usually am a strong contributor, but if I'm the best player on my squad, we're probably gonna get blown out badly.

monosylab1k
03-09-2009, 10:14 PM
That's just them not being bothered to play real defense.

Hit some jumpers in their face, that'll get them to step up. I love it when a guy plays off me like that, I just light his ass up.

mavs>spurs2
03-09-2009, 11:03 PM
The thing that pisses me off most about pickup games is the reckless dumbass who undercuts you on a fastbreak layup. That's how fights get started

MI21
03-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I know why they do it. Because of my size and ball handling once I get my shoulder past someone it's tough to contest the shot. Don't get me wrong, I can shoot, and am usually good for 1-2 3PTers a game when playing a proper timed and refereed game.

My problem lays with the fact that if I wanted to shoot open jumpshots at the top of the key, I'll shoot around in an empty gym. At least play within 2-3 feet so if I make the jumpshot it's slightly contested. I'm talking about the guys that stand at the free throw line when I'm at the top of the key. Frustrating and boring.

The undercutting on layups is horrible and has been the cause of many fights I have been witness to.

E20
03-10-2009, 12:38 AM
I use to play a lot, now I barely do because of school and no one to really play with and I don't know any place to play as well.

My game: Is consisted of playing hard D and developing an outside shot and then developing a drive once I get a couple of shots going in. I'm a decent shooter, more streaky than consistent and if I don't make my first 4-5 attempts then chances are I'm gonna stink unless if I've been practicing my shot and I'm more consistent then I can save some face. I'll tend to to drive with left all teh time even though I'm right handed, I don't know why but I just feel natural going there because I can sort of slither my way to the rim, If I use my right I sort of bulldoze in and get some hangtime to avoid the block. I'm a decent finisher. But if I were to compare myself to an NBA player I am naturally Bruce Bowen mixed with Manu Ginobili, because when I started to play ball I based my game on theres.

Yeah that sounds pretty confusing.

I'm also a pretty quiet guy so I never call fouls and if a person calls a foul or anything else on me I give it to them, because I'm generally less talk/debate and more playing.

Things I hate:
When there is a person on your team who yells at every other player when they make an error and puts on the "I want to win so bad face", and when he makes a mistake it's okay, basically the person who try runs the team in an ill-mannered way.

Also I hate the person on the opposing team who thinks there the shit and are smuggy and when things aren't going for them they get mad and resort to fouling and shit and if they are doign good they show it off.

Also the people on the sidelines juding other peoples game or giving unwanted commentary and taht sort of stuff.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.